The Kelly Relatives

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What a lovely letter! Thank you for sharing it.

To Catch A Thief

That's a great movie,
To Catch A Thief,
the Alfred Hitchcock film
with Grace Kelly & Cary Grant.

:eek: :eek: :eek:

I've been searching the internet but just can't find a complete Kelly family tree. Has anyone been more succesfull? I also read Grace's brother died in 1985, that was only 4 years after his second wedding...sad!

honestly I wouldn't even know where to start with the Kelly family tree. They are all Irish, right? So, that would be very complicated. If they were immigrants there would still be many of them in Ireland and could be spread out throughout the entire US. Does anyone know the Kelly's are all mainly still on the East Coast. Was their mother also an immigrant? I know some people with the last name Kelly, but jeez I heard that there are like 30,000 people or more with that last name. I also read it comes for O' Callaghan something and the other form is O' Kelly.

I've been searching the internet but just can't find a complete Kelly family tree. Has anyone been more succesfull? I also read Grace's brother died in 1985, that was only 4 years after his second wedding...sad!

You'll find a fairly complete family tree (back to the 17th century) for Princess Grace on geneology.com.

Thank you smdouglas for the link to the Family tree of Princess Grace, unfortunatly it's not complete, I can't seem to find Princess Grace her brother or her Sisters on it, Princes Ernst August, Andrea, Charlotte, Pierre and Princess Stephanie's children don't seem to be on it either. Perhaps it needs updating? But thank you anyway!:)

Thank you for these pictures. I really do think Grace was THE most stunningly beautiful royal woman in recent times. Her beauty just shines through the decades - a really classic beauty

Princess Grace's mother, Margaret, was the daughter of German immegrants. I don't know if Jack Kelly was first or second generation American. I guess the combination of those genes just made a perfect blend in Grace.:flowers::wub:

Kelly Cousins

Here is some Kelly family information that I have been able to find on the internet.

Princess Grace Patricia Kelly Grimaldi
Born: Nov 12, 1929. Birthplace: Philadelphia, PA.
Died: September 14, 1982 in Monaco at age 52 of complications due to a car accident.
Caroline - Andrea, Charlotte, Pierre, (children of Stephano Casiraghi), Alexandria (daughter of Prince Ernst of Hannover)
Albert - Jazmin Grace Grimaldi (daughter of Tamara Rotolo), Alexandre Coste (son of Nicole Coste)
Stephanie - Louis, Pauline (son and daughter of Daniel Ducruet), Camille (daughter of Jean-Raymond Gottlieb)

Margaret (Peggy) Kelly Conlan (sister to PG)
Born June 13, 1925
Died age 65, Nov 23, 1991
Married to George L. Davis, div 1959,
Married Eugene Conlan, He died on May 2, 1985 - in Philadelphia of natural causes. Mr. Conlan died on the same day that his brother-in-law John B. Kelly Jr. died.
Upon her death, she had two daughters, eight grandchildren
Mary Lee Davis,(daughter) She eloped at age 15 and married John Paul Jones Jr., age 18. They Eloped to Des Moines Iowa and were missing for 1 month in September of 1963. She was a flower girl at Princess Grace’s wedding
Margaret Ann Davis, (daughter) married Richard E Roe., May 1965, Div. 1994. Margaret Ann then married Mr. Packer, (ex husband of her cousin Grace Levine).
(Margaret was Princess Caroline’s flower girl for her wedding.) They had three sons, Richard (Princess Caroline is his godmother), Gabby and Chris.

John B. Kelly Jr. (Brother to PG)
Born May 24, 1927
Died March 2, 1985 in Philadelphia
John B. Kelly Jr. died while jogging to The Athletic Club after his customary morning row. He was 57 years old.
His first wife was Mary Gray Freeman (former Olympic swimmer) now known as Mary Spitzer. (She appeared on the cover of Life Magazine on July 23, 1951). The couple had six children, including Susan Kelly Von Medicus, Elizabeth (now deceased) , Ann, Maura and John B. Kelly, III. He is married to wife Karen and they have two children, Katherine and Nick. Following his divorce, from first wife Mary, John B. Kelly married Sandra Worley, a banker, on May 28, 1981. They did not have any children together.

John B. Kelly Jr. represented the United States at the 1948 Summer Olympics at London, England, 1952 Summer Olympics in Helsinki, Finland and the 1956 Summer Olympics in Melbourne, Australia in rowing in the single scull (1x). And he represented the United States in the double skull (2x) at the 1960 Summer Olympics in Rome. Kelly won a bronze medal at the 1956 Games. He also won the gold medal at the 1955 Pan American Games in Mexico City. He served in the US Navy during WWII.

Lizanne Kelly Levine (sister to PG)
Born 1933( she is presently living in a nursing home)
Donald Levine (husband) (deceased)
Grace Levine Packer, (daughter) died October 1999 of cancer. She was divorced from Mr. Packer. After the divorce, Mr. Packer married Grace Levine’s cousin, Meg Davis Roe (the daughter of Peggy Kelly, Grace Kellys' sister.) Meg Davis divorced her husband, Richard Roe, to marry Mr. Packer. Grace Levine Packer never had any children
Christopher Levine, (Son) married to Mary Victoria McNeil. They have a daughter, Kelly Levine

Margaret Katherine Majer Kelly (Mother of PG)
Died January 1990, Linwood NJ at a convalescent home. She was 91 years old.
Grace's mother was born to Lutheran German parents, (Carl Majer and Margaretha Berg). Margaret Katherine Majer was born in Schloss Helmsdorf, Germany. Soon after the family moved to Philadelphia Margaret converted to Catholicism upon marrying Mr. Kelly. Like her husband, Margaret Kelly was a proponent of health and fitness, studying Physical Education at Temple university and later becoming the first woman to head the Physical Education Department at the University of Pennsylvania. She was also a model and cover girl.
Margaret Majer Kelly (1899-1990), University of Pennsylvania Archives

John B. Kelly Sr, (Father of PG)
Born October 4, 1889, Died June 20, 1960 of cancer, age 70
John Brenden Kelly, Sr., also known as Jack Kelly was one of the most accomplished oarsman in the history of the sport rowing. He was a triple Olympic Gold Medal winner, the first to do so in the sport of rowing. He won 126 straight races in the single scull.

Grace Kelly's father was one of ten children of John Henry Kelly (1847-1897) and Mary Costello in an Irish American Catholic family (originally from Kidney Lake, Newport County Mayo, Ireland.). He had been in the ambulance corps in World War I.

Last edited:
Graces's sisters

I'm new to this board and I apologize if this has been asked, but how many children do Peggy and Lizanne have?

Peggy had two daughters, Margaret and Mary. Lizanne had a daughter, Grace (deceased) and a son, Christopher. John (brother to Grace, Peggy and Lizanne) had five daughters and one son. Does anyone know the names of his children?

Last edited:
Grace Kelly's uncles, aunts and cousins

honestly I wouldn't even know where to start with the Kelly family tree. They are all Irish, right? So, that would be very complicated. If they were immigrants there would still be many of them in Ireland and could be spread out throughout the entire US. Does anyone know the Kelly's are all mainly still on the East Coast. Was their mother also an immigrant? I know some people with the last name Kelly, but jeez I heard that there are like 30,000 people or more with that last name. I also read it comes for O' Callaghan something and the other form is O' Kelly.

John Henry Kelly (PG's grandfather)
Parents: Brian Kelly & Honora M McLaughlin
Birth Nov 1851 Drumiria Mayo Ireland ,Death: Between 1910 – 1920 Philadelphia PA

Mary Ann Costello (PG's gradmother)
Parents: Walter Costello & Anne Burke
Birth: 18 Oct 1852 Drumirla Mayo Ireland, Death Sept 1926 Philadelphia PA

John Henry Kelly and Mary Ann Costello had 10 children:

Patrick Henry Kelly B: 1872, eight children, born in Rutland VT
John R Kelly B: 1901
Hannah Kelly B: 1902
Marie G Kelly B: 1904
George T Kelly B: 1906
Catherine M Kelly B: 1908
Mildred G Kelly B: 1908
Dorothy M Kelly B 1909
Gertrude B Kelly B: 1911

Walter Charles Kelly B: 1873 Rutland VT
Anna G Kelly B: 1875 NY
John Kelly B:1878 Rutland VT

Charles Vincent Kelly B: 1879 Rutland VT, two children Born in Phil
Charles V Kelly B: 1915
Mary J Kelly B: 1919

Mary A Kelly B: 1882 Rutland VT
Elizabeth V Kelly B: 1884
George Edward Kelly B: 1887 Philadelphia PA

John Brendan Kelly Sr B: 1889, four children born in Philadelphia
Margaret Peggy Kelly B: 13 June 1925
John Brendan Kelly Jr B: 14 May 1927
Grace Patricia Kelly B: 12 Nov 1929
Lizanne Kelly B: 1933

Grace T. Kelly B: 1893

Margaret Packer, daughter of Grace's sister Peggy, was a flower girl at Princess Grace's wedding, not Caroline's.

Thank You for the correction. I meant to say that Princess Caroline was the flower girl for Margaret Ann Davis's wedding. Margaret was the daughter of Peggy Kelly (Davis) Conlan and niece of Princess Grace. My information is from various internet newspaper search sources.

I didn't know Caroline was a flower girl at Margaret Ann's wedding, and I thought I was such a Kelly expert! lol

In this photo,Grace is with her parents,her sisters Peggy and Lizanne and his brother, in a ship.

Her father and her brother .This is a photo I have never seen before.

What an interesting family and how sad that beautiful Grace LeVine died so young.
I remember in the photographs of Princess Grace´s wedding, her two nieces, Margaret and Mary, who were flower girls

John B. Kelly, single sculls rowing champion of the U.S., Canada and the pan American games, and track star Thomas W. Courtney, of Livingston, New Jersey, Amercian 800 meter record holder, wear for the first time the official uniforms which will be worn by the 450 men of the U.S. team at the Olympic Games in Melbourne, Australia this year. (5.05.1956)
http://s5.tinypic.com/34i20e1.jpg

I went to high school with one of Grace's distant relatives in Philadelphia. His last name is von Medicus and he is related to Grace's brother. I always thought that was pretty cool.

I went to high school with one of Grace's distant relatives in Philadelphia. His last name is von Medicus and he is related to Grace's brother. I always thought that was pretty cool.

I think that Kell's daughter married a von Medicus.

Beautiful photo.She is very elegant with her scarf, probably of Hermes, in her head

Back
Top Bottom