The Kelly Relatives

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Kelly genes??? Hard to believe this lady is Ann Kelly, Princess Grace's cousin.
She lives in Ireland. Weekly DIVAeDONNA has an interview with her.

Ann Kelly
Thanks for the photo but could you please tell us what it says?

It says:

Ann Kelly has created in her hotel in Pontoon Bridge a little living room dedicated to her cousin Grace.

Then it says ( referred to the other page which does not appear in the photo) :
Prince Albert last days walking hand in hand with South African swimmer Charlene Wittstock.

Last edited:
In a nutshell the whole article says that the author went to Ireland in order to meet some of the Kelly relatives, in order to trace Princess Grace's ancestry. So she addressed to a genealogy research office in Sligo county owned by Ms. Susan Keller. Then she was sent to a little hotel overlooking the Pontoon Bridge bay, that is owned by Mr. Brendan Geary and his wife Ann Kelly. The couple has 5 children.

One of the hotel living rooms located on the ground floor/1st floor has been turned into sort of a Grace Kelly "museum" by her cousin Ann.
The room has some beautiful portraits of Princess Grace on its wall, along with some pages of papers about the visit Prince Rainier and Princess Grace payed to the "Kelly Land" and some letters Grace herself worte to her cousin Ann. There's also a letter from Prince Albert, whom Ann Kelly applied to get his permission in order to dedicate this room to his mother.

Mrs. Kely said she did, because she's always regretted that the media worldwide have always focused Grace's life in the U.S.A and in Monaco, whilst they seldom mentioned the land where her family comes from.
She recalls that she applied to the genealogy center to find out more about her family, so she could trace her family history back to a common ancestor.

In the meanwhile Grace was doing the same, after becoming the Princess of Monaco, that's how Grace got in touch with her Irish cousin, and started to correspond with her.

Later Ann met Grace and Rainier, when they went on a visit to Mayo county. Ann says that she was deeply stirred, and so were Grace and Rainier, while Ann showed them the places Grace had always heard of when she was a child. Besides she says that Grace wasn't absoultely so cold and distant as she appeared inpublic, but was a very sensitive and understanding lady.

I think Ann Kelly looks like grace's father but a different shape nose. She also has the wide kelly jawline.

Chris Levine is the one we see at many events in Monaco, correct? He's quite handsome! I gather that he and Prince Albert remained close throughout their lives, which is probably why we recognize him at so many events.

Chris Levine is the one we see at many events in Monaco, correct? He's quite handsome! I gather that he and Prince Albert remained close throughout their lives, which is probably why we recognize him at so many events.

He is also on the board of the Princess Grace Foundation.

Can you help me to complete the Kelly family tree?

1. Margaret (Peggy)
1.1 Magaret (Meg) + Richard Roe
1.1.1 Richard (godson of Caroline)
1.2 Lee

2. John Brendan +

3 Grace + Rainier
3.1 Caroline + Philippe Junot + Stefano Casiraghi + Ernst v Hannover
3.1.1 Andrea
3.1.2 Charlotte
3.1.3 Pierre
3.1.4 Alexandra
3.2 Albert
3.3 Stephanie + Daniel Ducruet
3.3.1 Louis
3.3.2 Pauline
3.3.3 Camille

4. Elizabeth Anne (Lizanne) + Donald Levine
4.1 Grace
4.2 Christopher

A little bit more information found on this site

1. Margaret (Peggy)
1.1 Magaret (Meg) + Richard Roe + Packer (same as Grace Levine married)
1.1.1 Richard (godson of Caroline)
1.2 Lee

2. John Brendan + Mary

3 Grace + Rainier
3.1 Caroline + Philippe Junot + Stefano Casiraghi + Ernst v Hannover
3.1.1 Andrea
3.1.2 Charlotte
3.1.3 Pierre
3.1.4 Alexandra
3.2 Albert
3.3 Stephanie + Daniel Ducruet
3.3.1 Louis
3.3.2 Pauline
3.3.3 Camille

4. Elizabeth Anne (Lizanne) + Donald Levine
4.1 Grace + Packer
4.2 Christopher + Vicky
4.2.1 Kelly

Thanks everyone, very interesting. I guess I never thought much about the Kelly side of the family.

Grace's brother John Brendan had a son John Brendan (known as JB) & a daughter named Liz. I think there may have been a couple of other daughters too.

^Thanks! What an attractive set of siblings they were.

Does anyone know what Grace Levine Packer's birthdate was?

Grace's brother John Brendan had a son John Brendan (known as JB) & a daughter named Liz. I think there may have been a couple of other daughters too.

As far as I know, Grace's brother John Brendan had five daughters.

Jack kelly's 2nd wife was named Sandra or Sondra, never heard anything about her after he died in 1985. The transexual he was supposedly dating was named Harlow and she had a nightclub in Phila. named Harlow's also.

Apparently not. I will try to find the source but I remember reading that he didn't think he should have to pay a dowry for her. Nothing she did "wowed" him. Not the Oscar, not Ranier. BUT look at the millions who loved her and CONTINUE to love her today!

After reading a few books about the family...I've come to the conclusion that he was jealous of Grace. He never thought she would amount to anything...she wasn't his favorite and he always thought her accomplishments were better suited for her sister.

It's a shame...although he clearly liked the fame she brought to the Kelly family...he would've never admit any praise for Grace.

Jack Kelly jr. "Kell" dated a transexual named Harlow who had a nightclub in Phila. It did cause a scandal as he wanted to run for mayor of Phila. in the 70's. Mrs. Kelly did not want him to run for mayor and threatend to expose his relationship with Harlow so he had no choice but to drop out of the mayor's race in Phila.. Jack's first wife's name was Mary Lee, I don't know her last name, his second wife was I believe named Sandra but again, I don't know her last name and they married in the late 70's . A good book to read about Grace is called Once Upon A Time by J. Randy Taborelli.

This little story reminds me of the plot of that new ABC show 'Dirty Sexy Money' LOL

Last edited:
I agree with you Zembla, I think Jack Kelly was jealous of Grace, she eclipsed him in fortune and fame. He was a very proud man and just would not or could not give her credit for anything she did since he never thought she would do much in life. I can't remember which book I read this in but he was quoted as saying "Out of all my children, Gracie was the last person I expected to support me in my old age" and then went on to say that no matter what Grace did, Peggy her sister, could do better. I'm pretty sure this was the remark he made when reporters asked him how he felt about Grace winning the Oscar for Country Girl. What a slap in the face for Grace! She must have been so hurt by that comment!

I read in the Robert Lacey biography that Grace did manage to get Jack's approval on his death bed. Also, Grace was viewed as the most successful not just because of her career and marriage, but she was the only one of the Kelly children that managed to get out of Jack's shadow and control.

I agree with you Zembla, I think Jack Kelly was jealous of Grace, she eclipsed him in fortune and fame. He was a very proud man and just would not or could not give her credit for anything she did since he never thought she would do much in life. I can't remember which book I read this in but he was quoted as saying "Out of all my children, Gracie was the last person I expected to support me in my old age" and then went on to say that no matter what Grace did, Peggy her sister, could do better. I'm pretty sure this was the remark he made when reporters asked him how he felt about Grace winning the Oscar for Country Girl. What a slap in the face for Grace! She must have been so hurt by that comment!

It's so true...and he was close to the Kennedy father to...he was the same way with his children. Instead of loving them unconditionally...they would pit them against each other while also competing themselves. :ermm:

I also heard that the Kelly family was a very competitive one.

Also in the book 'Once Upon a Time' Lizanne Levine was quoted as saying about her father "This is the honest to God's truth, he just would not give Gracie a break". Lizanne was talking about how difficult her father could be. Also in the book 'Once Upon a Time' talks about how Jack was used to being the center of attention and when he would visit Grace at the palace, he was not used to taking a back seat to Prince Rainier. He only visited her twice before he died. A funny incident that was told in the book, Jack was visiting Grace and they were at the dinner table, protocol in the palace is that everyone must remain standing until Prince Rainier sits down first. Apparently that did not suit Jack Kelly and he proceeded to sit down first and said "Take a load off Ray" referring to Prince Rainier.

Remember the Kellys!

Princess Grace of Monaco brought her American heritage to her new country when she married its ruling prince in 1956. Although her children are prince and princesses of Monaco, they are also descendants of a large and prominent American family. This article, written in the form of a letter from Princess Grace to her children, explores her American heritage and its effect on Prince Albert, Princess Caroline, and Princess Stephanie.

More...

Last edited by a moderator:
Such a beautiful and heartfelt letter! It really paints an endearing portrait of Princess Grace.

What an absolutely beautiful letter. It sounds like something she would have said to her children, so full of love and emotion. I was surprised to see at the end that this imaginary letter was written 2 weeks before she died. I think if Grace had seen this imaginary letter she would have approved of its content. I wonder if any of the children have seen this. Wouldnt that be something? Thanks for sharing that with us.:flowers:

It's a beautifully evocative article, isn't it? The editors were hoping to get this article published a bit earlier, to coincide with the anniversary of the Princess's death. Unfortunately the new articles software kept throwing things into black holes, and it's taken a bit of time to get everything working. Also, Avalon was making heroic attempts to get copyright permission to publish photos of the Kelly relatives but unfortunately was unsuccessful.

Some relevant threads in the Monaco forums:

http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f13/kelly-relatives-2396.html

http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f13/international-homage-h-s-h-princess-grace-monaco-11735.html

http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f13/late-princess-grace-part-iv-12275.html

Thank you all for the compliments. It is obvious I feel a strong kinship with the Kelly family, and I hope I can write something about Princess Caroline. Although no one has published a biography, we know so much about her, (I mean her public life obviously), so much has been written, how can one write from a fresh point of view, something that won't sound banal, overly flattering, commissioned as it were. It seems only her best friend could do it, if she (he) had any literary talent, (and her permission !) but it is well-known she doesn't have any best friend, at least she has said so in interviews, her lack of need to confide in anyone. How does one write about the mystery woman ? Again, I may just use some pictures to project my own interpretation of who she is. Had she lived in another century, or up until the mid-twentieth century, she would be the perfect subject to write about, with dozens of biographies to draw a composite picture, just like some of her favorite characters in history.

I did enjoy the article. I was surprised but pleasingly so, because there was a lot of, it seemed, creative liberty, yet it was done in a wholly believable and credible style. I am trained as an academic and, therefore, this kind of approach is like a foreign culture to me, but I was engrossed in it from start to finish.

Back
Top Bottom