The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 01-26-2011, 05:18 PM
Aristocracy

Okay, so I have a question.

Is the Kelly family still featured in the Philadephia society pages? And, if so, what do they do?

I'm just curious because the biographies on Grace seem strangely quiet on that fact.

Old 01-26-2011, 06:55 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by CordeliaFitzgerald View Post
Okay, so I have a question.

Is the Kelly family still featured in the Philadephia society pages? And, if so, what do they do?

I'm just curious because the biographies on Grace seem strangely quiet on that fact.
The public face of the Kelly family in Philadelphia is pretty much Chris LeVine via his wife, Vicky -- an heir to the McNeil Pharmaceutical (read: Tylenol) fortune. They attend most major arts and cultural events -- will probably attend the annual Academy Ball this coming weekend. It's the event attended by the Prince of Wales and Duchess of Cornwall a few years ago. Let's hope his cousin Prince What's-His-Name and his fiancee, stay away this year and in years to come.

Old 01-26-2011, 07:59 PM
Aristocracy

I had no idea Grace's sisters were so beautiful! Loved the pictures in the beginning of the thread :)
Old 01-27-2011, 12:37 AM
Serene Highness

Also Jack's cousin, Paul Costello. For 2 generations the Kelly clan were major over achievers. Also a Pulitzer Prize winner, Academy Award winner (PG), a 3 time US billards champion and a US Secretary of the Navy. A case of true life being more unbelieveable than fiction. Pauline and maybe someday Charlotte will be the 4th straight generation of Olympians. I wonder if any other family has done that. I almost forgot. John Kelly Jr's first wife was also an Olympic swimmer for the US.

There is a book about Jack Sr and Jr on Amazon called: Kelly: a father, a son, an american quest by Daniel Boyne. Haven't read it but it looks interesting.
Old 04-01-2011, 10:58 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyMacAlpine View Post
The above photo was taken
Quote:
At Drimurla on the shores of Leg O' Mutton Lake near Newport town (approximately 8 miles from Castlebar) lies the lonely ruins of a small thatched cottage.
Images of Mayo Albert is suppose to visit it during his visit next week. I found reference to Rainier going forward with plans to build a house on the land after Grace's death.

Edited to add: I searched more and found this.
Quote:
The ruins are nothing to see or photograph now, but there is still a certain mystique about that pile of rocks and the surrounding area. We wondered whether the Rainier family still owns the land and ruins? It seems that a local development association asked permission to erect a memorial to Princess Grace on the land at Drimurla and Princess Caroline, her daughter, said the family would donate the cottage for restoration as well as surrounding lands if they received an acceptable proposal. That was more than 15 years ago.
Boston Irish Reporter
Old 04-08-2011, 11:24 AM
Heir Presumptive

Two of the Kelly's were in photos and videos with Prince Albert during the official visit to Ireland.
Old 04-09-2011, 02:15 PM
Heir Presumptive

there were photos on the Kelly on iso pix site, there were the cousin who was often seen in Monaco whith her wife and two other cousins I didn'know, there was an article on a visit on Princess Grace's Museum, it was said that they visited the Museum with Charlene , Prince Albert was not with them because he visited an universitat at Dublin. It was nice that Prince Albert thought to invit his cousins during this official visite
Old 04-09-2011, 02:58 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

HSH Princess Grace in County Mayo,Ireland in June 1961

http://declancashin.com/wp-content/u...2011/04/11.jpg
Old 05-05-2011, 07:51 PM

Hi guys, new guy here (yes, I'm a male)

Just wanted to say, I read through the thread and it was a great read!

I just wanted to say I am/was cousins with Princess Grace. However I never got to met her, because I was not born when she was here. I was related by her father's side, I have Costellos in my family. There isn't much left, it is quite sad. I do live however, outside of Philadelphia, in fact about 14 miles from the city, but on the NJ side.

Grace seemed like such an amazing person, when I see a picture/video of her, I just know when Grace would enter the room everyone knew she was there. I am in the middle of a family tree project and it is not easy at all.

Also, I saw an add somewhere for the Kelly's house for rent, I'm not sure how old it was. But they were asking 900 a month for it. It deeply sadden me. I just talked to one of my Costello family members who was born in Philadelphia and told her about it. It's such a shame about the city, and the area they lived.

Sorry for the long winded post, but I would love to jump into any discussions! Also, I am hoping for and praying for seeing that side of my family this summer.

PS - sorry for bumping this thread with new posts. I love seeing the Kellys. Nothing but a great family. Also!! If I have any family members here, Hi, I may be your long lost cousin haha.

The new guy on the street,
Dave
Old 05-07-2011, 12:18 AM
Courtier

Wow, I found your post so fascinating that I did a little research of my own, lol.

Anyhow, I found out that the Costello side you must be talking about is Mary Anne Costello, Grace's grandmother on her father's side: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_B._Kelly,_Sr.

And the area of Philadelphia where the Kelly Family Home was built by Grace's father in the 1920's still looks wonderful. From your post I gathered that the area and home might have been rundown like so many once affluent areas of the United States have been turned into ghettos because of the influx of immigration, government programs, et al, and as a result many Americans have been fleeing to better areas. But that doesn't look like the case here, the area still looks very nice, as well as the house. Which can be seen in the following Google Map, as well as the first few seconds of the youtube tape:

Google Maps (btw if it doesn't come up right away, you need to type in 3901 Henry Avenue, Philadelphia, PA)

Would love to hear more from you about your family, Dave, WELCOME!
Old 05-08-2011, 11:59 PM

Thank you for the warm welcome:)

Yes, where the Kelly house is on Henry St. is sort of run down. Also, I didn't know that Kelly Dr. in Philly was named after her brother.

Quick story time! My grandmother who was on that side of my family wanted to go back to that side of Philly after coming to see my family from out of state. This had to be right after the passing of Grace. So they are driving in Philly making their way to the area, when suddenly the area turns sketchy. Now keep in my mind, my mom and dad had just moved to the Philadelphia area and didn't know a ton about it. My mom stops the car and basically tells my grandmother to forget it's not safe for them. It's terrible, as I said before.

As for my Irish side, I guess you could say, is they are probably the same of her father's side. Hard working, and still very Catholic (as am I). Not to mention, very tight knit.

If I must say, I think I found out where my smile came from lol. Also, I have eyes much like Grace did lol.
Old 05-09-2011, 01:34 AM
Courtier

Dave, you and I must have a different view of the word "run-down", as the dictionary defines it as such: worn out, exhausted, being in poor repair, dilapidated. Source of reference: Run-down - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary

And on that basis I personally would not consider the Kelly Family Home on 3901 Henry Avenue to be *run-down*. This based on the Google Map link I posted up above, wherein one can maneuver one's mouse to view not only the subject at hand, but also any other part of the neighborhood, community, et al.

All the stately homes still appear to be well-kept, maintained, manicured, even the huge park right next door the Kelly Home. However, I noted once you leave that part of the city it looks to get ugly on the other side of the river. Anyhow, that's just my humble opinion.

Now if you want to view truly "run-down" parts of the city of Philadelphia, see these pics (basically another word for ghetto):

http://cdn2-b.examiner.com/sites/def...ntitled_43.jpg

http://static.seekingalpha.com/uploa...his_origin.jpg

http://thesocietypages.org/socimages...picture-15.jpg

http://www.lifestyle-information-net...iladelphia.jpg

Thanks for sharing your family anecdotes, it's interesting to read, maybe you can share some family pics as well?
Old 05-10-2011, 12:16 AM

I know what run down means, thanks. I probably used the wrong word. However, when you go past that area, it's not the best area at all. Also, I know plenty about Philly, and what areas are not areas I want to be in. Sorry to say, but there is a ton of Philly which isn't what it used to be, and that is just sad.

I have no idea where you are located, but I see downside of Philadelphia daily.

Lastly, if you are going to troll me, I would greatly appreciate it if you did not.

Thank you.
Old 05-10-2011, 01:00 AM
Serene Highness

I'm curious if the Kelly's (and Costello's, etc.) have done any genealogical research? Were her pre-United States relatives Irish and Italian?
Old 05-10-2011, 05:04 AM
Courtier

Troll you, please, what an odd reaction, as I was genuinely interested in what you had to say when you first posted. So much so that I had a blast doing research on the Kellys' on the internet to find the Costello side.

And I had an even better time finding the house in question that you posted about; what a joy it was to find it also on youtube to compare it to today. That's the honest to God truth.

What I found odd was your saying it was *run-down*, as well as the area was *sketchy*, thus I posted what I thought, backed up by pictures from Google Maps, so the reader could judge for themself.

Next thing you know you take umbrage and tell me I'm trolling you.

Come back, Dave, I promise not to bite, lol, that's just my style. I don't mean anything by it, and my apologies if you thought I did?

Seriously, I am a connoisseur of the past/history, and any information you can provide about your family would be greatly appreciated. To come from virtually nothing to the top of the echelon by purely hard work and dedication has my utmost respect and admiration, as that's exactly what the Kellys/Costellos did.

PrincessKaimi, lol, I originally thought the same thing because I associate the surname Costello with Italian. However, I was wrong, both of John Kelly's (aka Grace Kelly's father) parents were Irish and came to America in 1869 and 1867 respectively.

Source of Reference: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_B._Kelly,_Sr.

This same thing applies to Drew Barrymore, whom is a descendant of not only the Blyth/Barrymore English/Irish clan, but also the Costello clan, whom I originally thought were Italian also, but alas, no, Irish.

Source of Reference: Maurice Costello - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Isn't history fun!!!!
Old 05-21-2011, 05:57 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessKaimi View Post
I'm curious if the Kelly's (and Costello's, etc.) have done any genealogical research? Were her pre-United States relatives Irish and Italian?
They were Irish. Grace's grandparents came from Ireland.
Old 05-30-2011, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by btsnyder View Post
I've heard that the Kelly home on Henry Avenue is owned by Philadelphia University - their campus is in the neighborhood at Henry and School House Lane. It never looks like anyone lives there. I've been driving by for years and years and there's never any activity.

Ah, I just did a search of Philadelphia property assesments. It looks like the house (3901 Henry Avenue) was bought in 1974 by a Marjorie Bamont. The sale price is listed as $1, so I assume that it was inherited or something. You can look up the listing at www.phila.gov and click on "Search Property Assesments"
While attending Philadelphia University in the mid to late '90s I rented a small apartment (above the garage) in the house next door to the Kelly home on Henry Ave. The woman who was living in the Kelly home at that time was a bit of a recluse who collected numerous stray cats and dogs. She would let the dogs out into the backyard in shifts - I assumed she did this to keep barking to a minumum and to not alert the neighbors to the number of animals she actually had living there. I never met her (rarely saw her or anyone visit) and never entered the home - but was told by my landlords that the interior was rumored to be in pretty bad shape as a result of all the animals. The backyard was a bit of a mess and littered with empty cat food tins and foil etc...

The Henry Ave/School House Lane area is (or was in the late '90s) still a very lovely area (former Senator Arlen Specter lived down the street) but is very close to unsafe/run down neighborhoods such as German Town. Granted a lot may have changed since I lived there. Philadelphia University has purchased and renovated a fair number of the larger homes for admin and classroom space but I doubt the Kelly home would be large enough to interest the university.
Old 05-30-2011, 07:55 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by anderso3 View Post
While attending Philadelphia University in the mid to late '90s I rented a small apartment (above the garage) in the house next door to the Kelly home on Henry Ave. The woman who was living in the Kelly home at that time was a bit of a recluse who collected numerous stray cats and dogs. She would let the dogs out into the backyard in shifts - I assumed she did this to keep barking to a minumum and to not alert the neighbors to the number of animals she actually had living there. I never met her (rarely saw her or anyone visit) and never entered the home - but was told by my landlords that the interior was rumored to be in pretty bad shape as a result of all the animals. The backyard was a bit of a mess and littered with empty cat food tins and foil etc...

The Henry Ave/School House Lane area is (or was in the late '90s) still a very lovely area (former Senator Arlen Specter lived down the street) but is very close to unsafe/run down neighborhoods such as German Town. Granted a lot may have changed since I lived there. Philadelphia University has purchased and renovated a fair number of the larger homes for admin and classroom space but I doubt the Kelly home would be large enough to interest the university.
The Kelly home nowadays is not considered to be a large home, but at the time it was built it was considered quite large and stately. The Henry Avenue area is still a nice place to live. Germantown has cleaned up somewhat and Manayunk has become very upscale with it's shops. Chestnut Hill is as it has always been. I don't know who owns the Kelly House at this point but it is still very much there.
Old 06-13-2011, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadine View Post
Troll you, please, what an odd reaction, as I was genuinely interested in what you had to say when you first posted. So much so that I had a blast doing research on the Kellys' on the internet to find the Costello side.

And I had an even better time finding the house in question that you posted about; what a joy it was to find it also on youtube to compare it to today. That's the honest to God truth.

What I found odd was your saying it was *run-down*, as well as the area was *sketchy*, thus I posted what I thought, backed up by pictures from Google Maps, so the reader could judge for themself.

Next thing you know you take umbrage and tell me I'm trolling you.

Come back, Dave, I promise not to bite, lol, that's just my style. I don't mean anything by it, and my apologies if you thought I did?

Seriously, I am a connoisseur of the past/history, and any information you can provide about your family would be greatly appreciated. To come from virtually nothing to the top of the echelon by purely hard work and dedication has my utmost respect and admiration, as that's exactly what the Kellys/Costellos did.

PrincessKaimi, lol, I originally thought the same thing because I associate the surname Costello with Italian. However, I was wrong, both of John Kelly's (aka Grace Kelly's father) parents were Irish and came to America in 1869 and 1867 respectively.

Source of Reference: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_B._Kelly,_Sr.

This same thing applies to Drew Barrymore, whom is a descendant of not only the Blyth/Barrymore English/Irish clan, but also the Costello clan, whom I originally thought were Italian also, but alas, no, Irish.

Source of Reference: Maurice Costello - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Isn't history fun!!!!
Hi, haha, sorry about that. It was an off day for me that day. So my apologies!

I will admit my family tree is sooooooooo confusing! My sister was the one to begin it, and now lucky me I have the one who has been taking over haha.

Unfourtinally this is all new to me. I tried to talk to my aunt about this, and she didn't say much. I have no idea why either.

I'm going to PM you a more detailed message with names, etc.
Old 06-14-2011, 12:27 AM
Courtier

Received, and answered in kind. Great to see you back and posting, David!