The Kelly Relatives

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Name: Margaret Katherine Majer
Alisa: “Ma”
Born: 13 Dec 1898 Schloss Helmsdorf, Württemberg, Germany

Her father Karl was also born in Schloss Helmsdorf in Württemberg...

Does anyone know what kind of connection Maier(Majer) family had with that Castle and why is their ancestor Prof. Johann Christoph always listed as "von Maier",while his descendants were just plane Maier?

If his descendants were to have the same family name Grace's mother would be Margaret von Maier,not just Margaret Majer...

Last edited:
I do not know If that have been posted before, but Ginna Le Vine, Grace Kelly's grandniece is an actress now.
Here is her profile on imdb:
Ginna Le Vine - IMDb

Last edited:
http://s599.beta.photobucket.com/user/agogo61/media/image-7.jpg.html

Princess Caroline Christens Rowing Shell, 1963 — Princess Caroline, 6, poured champagne over the hull of the John B. Kelly rowing shell at the Vespers Boat Club on the Schuylkill River in Philadelphia Tuesday afternoon. She was one of eleven grandchildren who helped christen the boat. Watching the Princess were, left to right, Grace LeVine, 7; Ann Kelly, 8; and above, left to right, Marylee Davis, 15, John B. Kelly, Jr., Meg Davis, 17, and the crew of the Ratzeburg, Germany Boat Club, Olympic and World Champions.

I think Pauline is the image of Lizanne Kelly Levine.

Last edited:
Elizabeth Brenden Kelly, Lower Merion High School, 1976

Hi,
Does anyone have any pictures of my dear friend Elizabeth Brenden Kelly? I went to Lower Merion High School, in Ardmore, PA. We swam on the swim team together. I graduated in 1975. She was a year behind me. Liz was an amazing swimmer, she was so talented. She swam for Versper's Swim Club, and Lower Merion High School Swim Team. Liz was extremely intelligent she graduated with a 4.0 from high school and went on to Harvard.
I will always remember Liz. She was so kind and quiet. I found the newspaper article below in the Inquirer.

Fondly,
Joan

By Gayle Ronan Sims INQUIRER STAFF WRITER
POSTED: May 27, 2006
Elizabeth Brenden Kelly, 47, a baker and restaurant owner and member of the renowned Philadelphia Kelly family, died of cervical cancer Thursday at home in Center City.

Miss Kelly was the daughter and granddaughter of Olympic scullers and bricklaying businessmen, civic leaders and social constants.

A 1977 graduate of Lower Merion High School, she was a member of the swim team of the Vesper Boat Club. She earned a dual degree in 1981 in English and archaeology from Harvard, where she swam on the all-Ivy League team and ran a catering service.

"I really didn't know what do after graduation. I usually spent the month of August in Monaco," where her aunt, the former Grace Kelly, lived as Princess Grace, Miss Kelly said in a 1988 Inquirer profile. "Aunt Grace said, 'What do you want to do?' She suggested I come to Paris, stay with her and learn French. So I lived in her Avenue Foch apartment and took French lessons. One of the girls in my class was working in a restaurant and I got a job there, waiting tables."

She wound up running the kitchen for 18 months at Lord Sandwich, a Parisian eatery run by Swedes that served American pastries.

When her aunt died in 1982, Miss Kelly got her own apartment and taught English for two years at the American Center in Paris.

When she returned to Philadelphia, she was a breakfast baker at the former Commissary before becoming head baker in 1986 at the former Chameleon.

Miss Kelly was not happy. She tried baking at Le Bec-Fin, but that lasted only two weeks. "The pace was too slow," she said. She went back to Chameleon.

That job paid well, but "I didn't need the money . . . I got no recognition for what I was doing," she said.

Yearning for a place of her own, Miss Kelly opened Brickworks in 1988 at 119 S. 19th St. It was a simple bakery and lunch cafe named after the industry in which her grandfather, John B. Kelly Sr., thrived.

Growing up in Wynnewood, Miss Kelly learned to bake from her nanny. "I often cooked for the entire family as well as family cocktail parties," she said in 1988. "In the sixth grade I did a sit-down dinner for 30 of my friends."

She worked from 3 a.m. until 7:30 p.m., seven days a week at Brickworks, baking award-winning fig bars and rich Chocoholic cakes.

She gave up annual fun while running the cafe. "I have a good time when I'm in Monaco," she said in 1988, "but there's only so much dancing and lying in the sun that I could take."

She closed the cafe in the early 1990s.

Miss Kelly, who resembled her father, John B. Jr., with blond hair, broad face, blue eyes and swimmer's shoulders, was "plagued by health issues in the 1990s," said her brother John B. III.

She earned a nursing degree at the Community College of Philadelphia in 2004 and worked briefly as a nurse at the Fountains at Logan Circle.

"She became too sick to work in spring of 2005," her brother said. "She was diagnosed with cervical cancer last summer."

"She was one the wittiest people I've ever met, always the most fun to be with," said her sister Margaret Christina "Buttons" Kelly.

In addition to her brother and sister, Miss Kelly is survived by her mother, Mary Freeman Spitzer; stepfather, Alan Spitzer; sisters Ann Ogle, Susan Von Medicus and Maura Casey; stepmother, Sandra Kelly; and several cousins.

A private burial is today.

Contact staff writer Gayle Ronan Sims at 215-854-4185 or gsims@phillynews.com.

I am looking for photos of the family of John B. Kelly Jr. His son and daughters are:

John B. Kelly III
Susan Kelly Von Medicus
Elizabeth Brenden Kelly (deceased 2006)
Maura Grace Kelly Casey (deceased 2010)
Ann Kelly Ogle
Margaret Christina Kelly

Also, does anyone know the names of the grandchildren of Peggy Kelly ? She married George Davis then Eugene Conlan? She had twin daughters,
1)Margaret Davis, married Richard Roe then William Packer.
2)Mary Lee Davis married John Paul Jones Jr then Hugh Kentworthy.

I am looking for photos of the family of John B. Kelly Jr. His son and daughters are:

John B. Kelly III
Susan Kelly Von Medicus
Elizabeth Brenden Kelly (deceased 2006)
Maura Grace Kelly Casey (deceased 2010)
Ann Kelly Ogle
Margaret Christina Kelly

Also, does anyone know the names of the grandchildren of Peggy Kelly ? She married George Davis then Eugene Conlan? She had twin daughters,
1)Margaret Davis, married Richard Roe then William Packer.
2)Mary Lee Davis married John Paul Jones Jr then Hugh Kentworthy.

According to her obituary, she had 8 grandchildren.

From what I can find Margarat and her second husband William Packer had 3 sons, Richard (Caroline is his godmother), Chris and Gabby.

Mary had 3 kids with her first husband and 2 with her second. I am having trouble finding any information on her kids.

These are the ONLY photos I could find. Elizabeth's was in the Philly com article that you posted but has long since disappeared from the archived article.

Elizabeth Brenden Kelly
Maura Grace Kelly with her father

Hi,
Does anyone have any pictures of my dear friend Elizabeth Brenden Kelly? I went to Lower Merion High School, in Ardmore, PA. We swam on the swim team together. I graduated in 1975. She was a year behind me. Liz was an amazing swimmer, she was so talented. She swam for Versper's Swim Club, and Lower Merion High School Swim Team. Liz was extremely intelligent she graduated with a 4.0 from high school and went on to Harvard.
I will always remember Liz. She was so kind and quiet. I found the newspaper article below in the Inquirer.

Fondly,
Joan

By Gayle Ronan Sims INQUIRER STAFF WRITER
POSTED: May 27, 2006
Elizabeth Brenden Kelly, 47, a baker and restaurant owner and member of the renowned Philadelphia Kelly family, died of cervical cancer Thursday at home in Center City.

Miss Kelly was the daughter and granddaughter of Olympic scullers and bricklaying businessmen, civic leaders and social constants.

A 1977 graduate of Lower Merion High School, she was a member of the swim team of the Vesper Boat Club. She earned a dual degree in 1981 in English and archaeology from Harvard, where she swam on the all-Ivy League team and ran a catering service.

"I really didn't know what do after graduation. I usually spent the month of August in Monaco," where her aunt, the former Grace Kelly, lived as Princess Grace, Miss Kelly said in a 1988 Inquirer profile. "Aunt Grace said, 'What do you want to do?' She suggested I come to Paris, stay with her and learn French. So I lived in her Avenue Foch apartment and took French lessons. One of the girls in my class was working in a restaurant and I got a job there, waiting tables."

She wound up running the kitchen for 18 months at Lord Sandwich, a Parisian eatery run by Swedes that served American pastries.

When her aunt died in 1982, Miss Kelly got her own apartment and taught English for two years at the American Center in Paris.

When she returned to Philadelphia, she was a breakfast baker at the former Commissary before becoming head baker in 1986 at the former Chameleon.

Miss Kelly was not happy. She tried baking at Le Bec-Fin, but that lasted only two weeks. "The pace was too slow," she said. She went back to Chameleon.

That job paid well, but "I didn't need the money . . . I got no recognition for what I was doing," she said.

Yearning for a place of her own, Miss Kelly opened Brickworks in 1988 at 119 S. 19th St. It was a simple bakery and lunch cafe named after the industry in which her grandfather, John B. Kelly Sr., thrived.

Growing up in Wynnewood, Miss Kelly learned to bake from her nanny. "I often cooked for the entire family as well as family cocktail parties," she said in 1988. "In the sixth grade I did a sit-down dinner for 30 of my friends."

She worked from 3 a.m. until 7:30 p.m., seven days a week at Brickworks, baking award-winning fig bars and rich Chocoholic cakes.

She gave up annual fun while running the cafe. "I have a good time when I'm in Monaco," she said in 1988, "but there's only so much dancing and lying in the sun that I could take."

She closed the cafe in the early 1990s.

Miss Kelly, who resembled her father, John B. Jr., with blond hair, broad face, blue eyes and swimmer's shoulders, was "plagued by health issues in the 1990s," said her brother John B. III.

She earned a nursing degree at the Community College of Philadelphia in 2004 and worked briefly as a nurse at the Fountains at Logan Circle.

"She became too sick to work in spring of 2005," her brother said. "She was diagnosed with cervical cancer last summer."

"She was one the wittiest people I've ever met, always the most fun to be with," said her sister Margaret Christina "Buttons" Kelly.

In addition to her brother and sister, Miss Kelly is survived by her mother, Mary Freeman Spitzer; stepfather, Alan Spitzer; sisters Ann Ogle, Susan Von Medicus and Maura Casey; stepmother, Sandra Kelly; and several cousins.

A private burial is today.

Contact staff writer Gayle Ronan Sims at 215-854-4185 or gsims@phillynews.com.

Last edited:
Grace Kelly's nieces. Meg and MaryLee Davis were not twins

Re Grace Kelly's nieces and sister Peggy
Peggy's daughters,Mary Lee and Meg were not twins.
They were 2 years apart. Meg was born sometime in 1946 and Mary Lee sometime in 1948. Knew them both all of my childhood in Ocean City

Bonni

^^^ previous. This is a great article, even if it's not new, and provides a wonderful insight into the world of the modern day Kellys, as well as the most famous one of them all. Very insightful, and so well written too. Thanks for sharing.

Do you have any idea in which season/episode of The Good Wife Ginna Le Vine appeared in? I will try and remember that name...

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community

Hi, does anyone know where and how Mary Lee is? she is Grace's niece; Peggy's younger daughter; Meg's younger sister

Thank you
Bonni

:previous: from what I understand she is a real estate agent in Philadelphia where she lives with her second husband Hugh. She has 5kids and five grandkids. Some of the kids are from her first marriage.

Back
Top Bottom