Royal Smoking Of Cigarettes

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Julia

Royal Highness
From Reuters

Running Out for a Smoke -- and Not Stopping

Fri May 2, 2003 08:21 AM ET
NEW YORK (Reuters) - Mayor Michael Bloomberg's smoking ban in New York bars and restaurants has given a new twist to the old bar prank of drinking and running.
The Daily News calls it "the smoke and scram" -- customers order, drink, excuse themselves to smoke a cigarette outside but do not return to pay their tab.

Bar owners say they cannot pay for extra staff to patrol the sidewalks. But at least one New York bar manager believes he has what it takes to catch the dodgers.

"I can run. I can jump the bar. I can chase them down the block," Rod Williams of the Subway Inn in Manhattan told the Daily News.

Since 1995, smoking has been banned in city restaurants with more than 35 seats. But smaller establishments, pubs with separate bar areas and stand-alone bars were exempt -- until a new law took effect March 30.

The law, initiated by former smoker Bloomberg, allowed for a 30-day grace period that ended at midnight on Wednesday.

Similar to California's anti-smoking statute and one of the stiffest in the United States, it subjects owners to fines of between $200 and $400 for a first offense and $500 to $1,000 for a second offense. The licenses of repeat offenders can be revoked.

In recent days, Manhattan's sidewalks have been chock full of huddled smokers taking a break from their revelries. But, it seems the new smoking ban does not apply to everybody.

The Daily News gossip column on Thursday said Princess Caroline of Monaco lit up at the trendy Le Cirque eatery recently. "Nobody had the nerve to tell her to put out her cigarette," one observer told the tabloid.

From Smoking Celebs

Princess Caroline

Has smoked "in real life" (IRL) = Yes
Profession = royalty

Her entry in the Internet Movie Database (IMDb)
Her pictures at SmokingCelebs.com

Cigar/Cigarette Brand

Winston, where?, when?

Proof she has smoked (or quit) "in real life"

up to 50 Winstons/day, Bunte Magazine (Germany), early 80's

"After picking at her salmon mousse, Caroline puffed cigs", People, Oct. 31, '83

chain-smoking her way through three packs of cigarettes a day, People, Apr. 8, '91

"photogs are complaining they can't get shots of Princess Caroline because the rule is no pix as she sips or smokes and she's rarely without a glass and/or a cigarette", LA Times, Dec. 17, '95

"chain-smokes", Bild Zeitung (Germany), Sep. 13, '96

"Caroline and [husband] Ernst light their cigarettes in perfect synchronicity", Point de Vue (France), c. Apr. '98

"At the beginning of the gala [Monaco's Red Cross Ball] Caroline chain-smoked", Bild am Sonntag (Germany), Aug. 9, '98

"not letting go of her cigarette, she did not release her father's shirt-front" during mock argument at Monaco's Red Cross Ball, Paris Match, Aug. 20, '98

"Despite her clearly visible pregnancy Princess Caroline (42) is not abstaining from alcohol and cigarettes...The good fortune of having a baby is not keeping the princess from her old habits. Again and again in Miramas (France) Caroline reached for a cigarette and treated herself to deep drags...Caroline's faux pas in Miramas was no isolated incident. The pregnant Monagasque was also seen smoking cigarettes on her winter holiday in Zurs (Switzerland)", Berliner Kurier (Germany), Mar. 3, '99

"The popular press...followed her pregnancy from the beginning. Not always sympathetically:...pictures showed her with a glass of wine or a cigarette in her hand", Yahoo (Germany) Headlines, Jul. 21, '99

"enjoys a cigarette", RTL (German TV), Feb. 24, '00

"She seemed, simultaneously, to be talking into a mobile telephone and smoking a cigarette", Daily Telegraph (UK), Nov. 14, '00

"blithely ignoring the no-smoking rule", New York Times, Nov. 19, '02

"[at age 16] made a conscious effort to do exactly as she shouldn't. She was the 'Playgirl Princess', who enjoyed dancing and discos. She was photographed smoking, kissing boyfriends and drinking...[One of her boyfriends:] 'Princess Grace shouted out: 'And you'd bloody well better not smoke, Caroline.' Caroline turned to me and said: 'How embarrassing!' Then she pulled out a cigar and asked me for a light'", extracted from Once Upon a Time: The Story of Princess Grace, Prince Rainier and Their Family, Daily Mail (UK), Apr. 1, '03

"The Daily News gossip column Thursday said Princess Caroline of Monaco lit up at the trendy Le Cirque eatery recently. 'Nobody had the nerve to tell her to put out her cigarette,' one observer told the tabloid.", cnn online, May 1, '03

Pictures of her smoking

candid, dragging on a cigarette, website (Royal Monaco), '86

article on dangers of women smoking, Cleo Magazine, Jul. '91

dragging, People Magazine, Jan. 13, '97, p. 8

dragging, on yacht, Oggi Magazine (Italy), Jul. 23, '97

large, holding, Paris Match, Aug. 21, '97

candid, dangling (long-distance paparazzo photo), Oggi Magazine (Italy), Mar. 4, '98

clutching pack of Winstons at Monaco's Red Cross Ball, Neue Post (Germany), Aug. 13, '98

candid, lighting up on her honeymoon, 1999, Berliner-Zeitung online (Germany), Feb. 26, '99

candid, dangling, Bild Zeitung (Germany), Feb. 15, '00

unflattering dangling while allegedly pregnant with her fifth child, Freizeit Revue (Germany), Feb. 23, '00

Pictures from the net
holding, ?k

dangling, ?k

Apparently she did. It's a little strange to think of Caroline as either being so ingnorant or negligent.

Originally posted by Julia@Jun 4th, 2003 - 4:33 pm

Oh my gosh! :shock: That's a lot of cigarettes! I didn't know there was enough time in a day to smoke that many!

The part about Caroline and Ernst lighting up in synch was sort of amusing. The couple that smokes together stays together???

As for Caroline smoking while pregnant, I cannot believe an intelligent woman as she would jeopardize the health of her baby in such a deliberate way. It's not like it was unknown. My mom had the occasional drink while pregnant with me but that was in the seventies when it wasn't known that alcohol was bad for the fetus. I sure hope Caroline and Ernst don't smoke while in Alexandra's presence. Second-hand smoke is terrible, espescially for young lungs like Alexandra's.

A picture of Caroline smoking...a very bad habit :(

caro86a.jpg

I really feel sad to see royals smoking like Princess Caroline. Even when they are pregnant or not it is still a hazard to their health. I really pity the child inside their womb for their mothers only stopped smoking for they are pregnant and after they will bear their child, back again to the same old habit.

Well, I respect their decisions to smoke for they like it but mostly those parents who smoke, their children becomes smokers too. Too sad..

no, the worst part is that her two eldest children have taken up her nasty habit.

Ewwwwwww! 50 cigars a day? My stars, that's horrible that Andrea and Charlotte have started smoking. It's a pity because Charlotte and ANdrea are two good-looking kids, the cigarettes will make them age a lot quicker. Hmmm..what do they mean by "Dangling, while supposedly pregnant with fifth child", dangling? Fifth child? I thought she only had three before Alexandra. Did her smoking/drinking interfere with Alexandra's development? I've always thought maybe Alexandra looked a little off..cute, but off....

50 cigarettes/cigars a day ....
Ladies,
you have to realize that smoking is still quite fashionable in Europe .... and I suspect even more so in the snobby circles. I have lived and worked in Germany, and it was bad. No tolerance for non-smokers.

And I wonder with Caroline's habits, if it isn't similar to the former Princess Margaret of England who also smoked like a fish, and Queen Margarethe also does her thing. Is this 'coping with boredom' in the extreme?

:innocent: :ninja:

Hey Haakon2 :)

Yes, smoking is very fashionable in Germany. It's bad in Poland and Russia, too. Really bad in Poland. :sick:

Maybe it is out of boredom. :huh: It'll certainly get you on your way to the next world fast enough if you're really bored... :shock:

sandee  Posted: Sep 3rd, 2003 - 3:40 am

A picture of Caroline smoking...a very bad habit

Emma Peel look-a-like.

Off the topic : Did the actress playing Emma P. smoke ?

Originally posted by Alexandria+Jun 4th, 2003 - 6:26 pm--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Alexandria @ Jun 4th, 2003 - 6:26 pm)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Julia@Jun 4th, 2003 - 4:33 pm

[/b][/quote]
and she hasn't slowed down!!! alexandra doesn't seem to mind!!!!

at least when she was newborn she let charlotte take her away from the smoke!!

Attachments

• smoking.jpg
    smoking.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 17,749
  • smokingaway.JPG
    smokingaway.JPG
    25.4 KB · Views: 3,709
kittencrews  Posted: Nov 5th, 2003 - 12:47 am

and she hasn't slowed down!!! alexandra doesn't seem to mind!!!!

That is an unfortunate situation. It is sad to see that Princess Caroline has become so ... blasee, inured? , rebeliuos ... over the years, that she's indirectly conditioning her daughter to smoking.

FACTS: Two thirds of smoke from a cigarette is not inhaled by the smoker, but enters the air around the smoker. Second-hand smoke has at least twice the nicotine and tar as the smoke inhaled by the smoker. Regular exposure to second-hand smoke increases the chances of contracting lung disease by 25% and heart disease by 10%. Second-hand smoke aggravates symptoms in people with allergies and asthma, and can cause eye, nose and throat irritations, headaches, dizziness, nausea, coughing and wheezing in otherwise healthy people. Children have a higher metabolism and can absorb higher amounts of smoke than adults. Infants and children exposed to second-hand smoke are more likely to suffer chronic respiratory illness, impaired lung function, middle ear infections, food allergies and can even succumb to sudden infant death syndrome (gosmokefree.ca).

Attachments

• alexhannover10.jpg
    alexhannover10.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 1,283
Caroline shouldn't be judged so harshly for her nicotine addiction. Some people can break the habit and others go stark raving mad without it -- it can be much more stubborn than a heroin addiction.

There's a disorder of the brain that involves something called defective sensory gating. It is common in schizophrenics and 1st order relatives of schizophrenics, but by itself is not an indicator of schizophrenia, just the "heebee jeebees". It is known that nicotine normalizes this defective sensory gating, so some people depend on it in ways that most of us could never fathom.

I'm not a smoker but my friend is. She's trying to quit so, she replaces cigarettes with sugarless gum.

Originally posted by zhontella@Nov 5th, 2003 - 6:06 pm
Caroline shouldn't be judged so harshly for her nicotine addiction.   Some people can break the habit and others go stark raving mad without it -- it can be much more stubborn than a heroin addiction. 
we've also got to remember Caroline IS european.. they are known for their fag's!!

Okay, I noticed in several pictures Caroline and Stephanie smoking. Yuk! :yuk:
No wonder they both, beautiful as they are, look a little more aged than they should. I don't think royals should smoke (or anyone for that matter, but chacun a son gout, as they say). Does anyone know if any of their kids smoke? Here in California people don't smoke, and in some places it is banned outdoors. It is also banned in all restaurants. Who are the smoking and non-smoking royals in Europe? Enquiring minds want to know . . . :p

There is already a thread about all of this. Yes, many royals do smoke. I think that it is a more accepted practice in Europe than in America. In Florida, it is illegal to smoke in many places as well. Including restaurants, some outdoor areas such as parks, and in most parts of theme parks. I agree, it is a disgusting habit, and it does age people.

Anyway, here is the link to the other thread. Which Royals Smoke?

Another reason to be thankful not to be royal.....every vice is examined, caught in photos, written about by "friends" or former staff. Smoking and alcohol are seen differently in Europe and the royals who partake are doing pretty much what everyone else does. Although, with Princess Diana's hatred of smoking, I do wonder what kind of discussion she and Harry would be having as he has been caught on camera smoking quite a few times.......This is one area where I think she would've put her foot down--on his cigarette box--and read him the riot act!

come on people...Royals are human too...let them smoke....at least they aren't committing crimes and stuff....it could be worst like abusing harmful drugs, raping, etc. etc.....so let them have their little share of pleasures ^^

I'll never get it, the pleasure of smoking. I even tried to take it up when I was about fifteen. It didn't work. I had to shower and brush my teeth afterward. I accept that Europeans really like it and don't consider it harmful in any way to themselves or to those inhaling the secondhand smoke nearby. But I really have to sigh when I read on Princess Caroline's board that she smoked and drank during her pregnancy with Alexandra. Maybe Europe needs a Surgeon General to warn about the dangers of cigarettes to babies and young children, not just the smoke, but the burning embers of a cigarette or the hot ashes falling on the kid. Or someone falling asleep with a cigarette and catching the bed and house on fire. I do think it is as bad as other drugs in terms of addictiveness. Nicotine is supposed to be worse than heroin. Such a shame. But I realize Europeans love their cigarettes. It will always be a mystery to me. *sigh* Fine with me to drop this topic. I read further that it has been much discussed already. :unsure:

sorry, josephine I had to laugh when I read your question... YES YES YES Caroline still smokes... lol

it is a bad habit and not easy to break..some of my friends do smoke and they made resolution almost every year to break the habit..but never succeeded. as i do not smoke, i asked them sometimes why they do it..trend, to be in the circle, they said... it baffles me because i managed to be in their circle without me having to smoke!!

i never quit understand why people smoke :confused:

Let's see...

Why is that people continue to pour toxics (alchohol or nicotine) into their bodily systems? Why is that people continue to eat "foods" that toxify their bodily systems (saturated fats)? Why is it that people continue to believe in behaviorial systems that are detremental to their survival?

The simple answer is (royal or not) is that it feels "right" and/or feels "good".

If something feels "right" or "good" wouldn't you partake in the action (other than the forewarnings of the "experts")?

Are these people just doing what you are I would do (i.e., partaking in something that society or some other belief system says we shouldn't?) It really isn't a matter of nobility or royatly.

...Scott

Julia said:
GollY! 50 cigarettes a day? Whoa i'm surprised she doesn't have any serious lung problems...

hillary_nugent said:
GollY! 50 cigarettes a day? Whoa i'm surprised she doesn't have any serious lung problems...
besides considering stopping for health reasons, a friend of mine stopped a 2 pack a day habit and his skin lost a greyish tone and became healthy looking. wonder how caroline manages to remain so beautifull, it also is not good for your teath and makes your gums shrink and gives you vertical lines on your upper lip

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom