The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 04-07-2007, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crisscross1
It's sad that people who smoke are being inconvenienced more and more for something that is, after all, their personal choice. There are so many rules in life these days, I think buerocracy has gone mad enforcing one rule on top of another, in a lot of cases just because they can. People know that smoking, like a lot of other things we do in life is dangerous, but it is a personal choice.
JMO
I agree. As I said to my friends, the smokers, just because I am a non-smoker, that does not mean I support these propositions to ban it in bars. I don't, ever, for a couple of simple reasons:
1) As you and Henri have said, it's a personal choice, with personal rewards (for some relaxation after a long day, for others a sort of "pick-me-up" like coffee) and also personal consequences (lung cancer is personal and doesn't have "secondary" physical problems, though secondary emotional ones another matter....and of course, smoking is a minor problem compared to global warming)

2) The second reason I support the smokers although I am non-smoker (in the issue of public smoking laws) is that to make it "illegal" would be completely counter productive. Just like there was Prohibition in the US, in the first two or three decades of XX (?? dates might be off) and making liquor illegal for that period gave rise to people like Joseph Kennedy, who was a poor Irish immigrant that made a fortune selling underground alcohol and fathered a future President, and grandfathered an absolute GOD!

Old 04-08-2007, 05:19 PM
Commoner

The only problem is that a personal decision to smoke adversely affects the lives of others; recent studies (at UC Davis Med School) have conclusively proven the link between the childhood asthma epidemic and smoking parent(s). Unlike other self-destructive addictions (drugs/drinking/food etc), the consesquences of smoking are not self-contained.

Old 04-08-2007, 06:49 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulina
Okay, I noticed in several pictures Caroline and Stephanie smoking. Yuk!
No wonder they both, beautiful as they are, look a little more aged than they should.
You seem to forget that Princess Caroline and Princess Stéphanie have lived (and do live) all their life at the Côte d'Azur, the French Rivièra more precizely, which is a very sunny part of Europe with grand millionaire's destinations like Monte Carlo, Saint Tropez, Antibes, Nice, Frejus, Sainte Maxime, and many more dream places with golden sun, the deep blue mediterrean sea, the succulent luxury all around.

Until half 1990's suntanning was the leisure activity for Europeans in their holidays. With or without smoking, they would have wrinkled anyway.

And I like Caroline. With wrinkles et al.

Old 04-09-2007, 01:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by debby
The only problem is that a personal decision to smoke adversely affects the lives of others; recent studies (at UC Davis Med School) have conclusively proven the link between the childhood asthma epidemic and smoking parent(s). Unlike other self-destructive addictions (drugs/drinking/food etc), the consesquences of smoking are not self-contained.
I don't disagree, but if you make this argument, you have to say that drugs and drinking addictions are just as non-self-contained, because alcholics and drug addicts do also affect others emotionally, even physically: if done while pregnant, drugs and alcohol, and cigarettes damage the child, and drugs and alcohol can cause violent behaviors to the adverse effect of others.

But
Regardless of smoking's non-containment towards the self, if you make public smoking illegal out of regard for second-hand smoking effects, then you must also make driving illegal out of regard for smog effects.

About Princess Caroline and Princess Stephanie aging too quickly, I agree about that, but it still boils down to it being their own choices.
Yes, lying in the sun all those years contributed. The combination of smoking and sun and maybe drugs too. I'm not saying they did or didn't ever do drugs, but drugs can cause these kinds of problems too, so it can't entirely be ruled out. I think being teens of the hard-partying 70s means that they probably went through a time of doing some drugs, considering that they were sort of the pillars of their generation, much like Princess Caroline's children are for Gen Y.
Old 04-09-2007, 01:13 AM
Super Moderator

Location: Down the street. It's the third house on the right, United States
Let's move back to the subject at hand shall we.

Thanks

Live, Highlander. Grow stronger. Fight another day. Highlander: The Series

Old 04-09-2007, 11:06 PM
Gentry

Was Grace a smoker? I heard she was allergic to tobacco.
Old 04-10-2007, 02:31 AM
Courtier

I have read and heard she smoked in Hollywood and stopped around the time she met Rainier and started again for a bit in the 70s when she felt she got a bit fat but that she didn't like Caroline or Stephanie doing so.

There is a story about Stephanie filtching one of Caroline's cigarettes and smoking it in front of a reporter (or someone who told) while their mother was there (or around, again, details are fuzzy). The person was surprised nothing was done--like it was commonplace.

I personally think Grace did smoke but Rainier didn't like it, hence the allergic answer that she gave Look during one of their Royal Marriage stories. Later (again, MO) she came to realize it was typical behavior and her daughters would learn the mistake for themselves.

I honestly don't think Caroline would smoke so much if Grace had been around when Stefano died. It seems Stephanie did stop while she was with her circus boyfriends, as she hasn't been spoken of doing it (smoking) since.
Old 04-10-2007, 09:55 AM
Serene Highness

I think Stephanie did stop smoking for a while but when the whole Daniel thing happend she started smoking again .
Old 04-10-2007, 03:26 PM

I also read that Grace was a smoker. I think she smoked her entire life, not just in the Hollywood years. I had the impression that she smoked to help her stay slim because she once said in an interview she had trouble with weight even in her 20s. But my knowledge of Grace is very limited and what little I read was a long time ago. I'm sure Monaco70s will know, however, for sure.
Old 04-11-2007, 05:51 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by RADKER18
I think Stephanie did stop smoking for a while but when the whole Daniel thing happend she started smoking again .
That's right .
Old 04-20-2009, 09:06 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by CasiraghiTrio View Post
I also read that Grace was a smoker. I think she smoked her entire life, not just in the Hollywood years. I had the impression that she smoked to help her stay slim because she once said in an interview she had trouble with weight even in her 20s. But my knowledge of Grace is very limited and what little I read was a long time ago. I'm sure Monaco70s will know, however, for sure.
I have never seen a photo of Princess Grace smoking. Nor have I heard that she did smoke. It seems that Prince Albert and Stephanie's children, Louis and Pauline are the only ones that don't smoke.
Old 04-20-2009, 07:40 PM

New poster here!

I am currently reading "Once Upon A Time" and in one of the chapters it is mentioned that Grace rarely smoked, and if she did it was to control her nerves (for example, she smoked just before meeting Rainier for the first time). Of course this is just what is mentioned in the book, so I don't really know if it's true or not.
Old 06-01-2009, 06:01 AM
Heir Presumptive

I think Grace never smoke
Old 06-01-2009, 06:27 AM
Courtier

This is a sad story one 2 fronts: 1. Caroline has resorted to smoking and 2. Why didn't anyone tell her to butt it out? Royals are always trying to portray that they are just as ? They can't have it both ways!
Old 06-07-2009, 07:25 PM
Aristocracy

cigarettes don`t affect them. most of them take some supplements made from green tea or blackberries or grapeseeds with powerful antioxidant activity and antimutagenic. green tea is known to reduce the risk of many cancers. an aspirin a day taken for decades and you end up with no heart disease like atheroslerosis(narrowed artheries). belive me meds really protect you even if you smoke 50 day . rich people have good doctors and good advice. People think that royalty are like themselves. My mother has at work rich woman heavy smoker, always eating trash, fast-food, but taking green tea extract ; horsetail, sage, st-john wort(this are herbs); bloodthinners and using expensive creamface. she looks much younger than she is.
Old 06-07-2009, 09:22 PM
Heir Presumptive

Rich people die from smoking just like poor people. There are no magic elixirs. Anyone can use the assorted stuff you mention. There is nothing maigic about them. Now, some people may be genetically disposed to certain diseases. There is nothing special about "Royals". They are no better or worse.
Old 06-08-2009, 12:18 AM
Serene Highness

I think that I was reading somewhere that Pss Grace smoke occasionally in 1950s but I think it was fashionable those days. Later it was not reported that Grace smoked.
It looks like all the Grimaldis smoke: Rainer, Caro, Steph, Casiraghi trio. Steph teen kids are to young too know if they smoke(due to age they shouln't). The only adult who doesn't smoke is Albert.

"The course of true love never did run smooth " William Shakespeare, 'A Midsummer Night's Dream'

http://www.aishwarya-rai.com/
Old 06-08-2009, 04:42 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakshmi View Post
I think that I was reading somewhere that Pss Grace smoke occasionally in 1950s but I think it was fashionable those days. Later it was not reported that Grace smoked.
It looks like all the Grimaldis smoke: Rainer, Caro, Steph, Casiraghi trio. Steph teen kids are to young too know if they smoke(due to age they shouln't). The only adult who doesn't smoke is Albert.
well you see it on Albert. He is good looking even in his 50`s. He looks younger.
Old 06-08-2009, 06:14 PM

I had hoped that the early cancer death of Tatiana's father may have curbed Andrea's habit but I guess not.

It's so sad that they continue with this addiction that so surely shortens their lives.
Old 06-27-2009, 09:59 PM
Serene Highness

Grace Smoked

Princess Grace did smoke and I have a pic somewhere at Caro's wedding of her doing so at the reception. She also smoked at their country home . But I do not think it was a chain smoking thing ; she smoked.
As for Caro smoking like a chimney well that is sad to hear as it is detrimental to the health.