Rose Ball, Monaco: 2005 - 2024

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think it is really a disgrace that Charlene cannot attend the Ball. She is part of Monaco life and so why is she unable to attend this long standing Ball. I am really puzzled!

The Rose Ball and the Red Cross Ball are fundraising events which have nothing to do with the State of Monaco. The revenues of the first ball go to the Fondation Princesse Grace, of which Caroline is the president. That explains her attendance: she is the organisator. It is really not obliged for Charlène to attend society events like this fundraiser: her husband took the honneurs anyway, so she is excused.

Last edited:
When it's said that these jewels belong to the Prince of Monaco, I suppose it means that they belong to the "crown". So, the members of the princely family borrow them, in order to weat them.

I know its hard to compare across Royal Families but I guess it could be that, the Prince (i.e. whoever the Prince is) owns the jewels which are then used by the other royals maybe each getting some to wear for their lifetime. It would be a little like expecting Sophie Wessex to turn up in the Lovers Knott tiara - yes it belongs to the Queen but is worn regularly by the Duchess of Cambridge so would be unlikely to happen.

It seems that Tatiana was also wearing a pair of earrings that belonged to Princess Grace.

Carole Bouquet was sat next to prince Albert. Interesting!! Sounds like an official statement

Official statement of what? That Charlotte and Dimitri are indeed engaged and plan to marry?

If Princess Charlene was there She had the first role .

The Rose Ball is the Casiraghi's with her bling bling as ever.

That her husband attends makes it worse I am a little tired of Charlene actually I a huge supporter of her at the time of her engagement an d I would have thought and I could be just so wrong here but her role is to support her husband and the events most especially the fund raising ones in Monaco after all and I could be wrong here to ... but last time I looked she was HSH of Monaco so there is no excuse in my mind that her non attendance is acceptable

Maybe Albert and Charlene are happy with the fact that Albert and his sister by and large do most the public duties in the Principality and Charlene does some that support her own interests. After all, Caroline and Stephanie had a pretty well established routine of attending the most important events, if Charlene had taken over it could be claimed she was pushing them out. Maybe Albert and Charlene have an agreement that not much official is expected of her. Its not as if she is costing the people of Monaco lots of money as other royals might.

That Charlene has chosen not to attend is not surprising and a matter between her and the family, but to try to excuse it as taking the limelight from Caroline is a joke. There have been previous years when she attended and why then does Albert still attend because using that logic, he takes the precedence. We know Albert attends because he supports his family and both cares and shows interest in the many events in Monaco’s calendar. Sadly Charlene doesn’t appear to share these sentiments. I am happy that Caroline is blessed with a close family who appear to enjoy helping out with the duties which go with belonging to the Monaco royals.

I noticed a distance between Caroline and Carole Bouquet.

Yet MORE 'dereliction of duty' from the [titular] 'Princess of Monaco'...

Oh dear. I also criticize Princess Charlene and I don't understand her. She either does things her own way or she is a Part-Time Princess.

Stephanie is not the First Lady of Monaco . I think we are right to question why Charlene chooses not to attend this important event with her husband.

Carole Bouquet came with her daughter in law Charlotte who married her youngest Son and was pregnant at the same time than Charlotte Casiraghi.
They have a happy quiet life abd no paps when they are going out of theit house
I thought we would see Caroline or Charlotte smiling or speaking to Carole, it seems not.

I seemed to miss the reports from the Rose Ball last night! Beatrice is one of the best dressed for me, she looked very elegant and she and Pierre are a very good-looking couple. Tatiana's dress is growing on me. I'd like to see Charlene attend a Rose Ball some time soon.

If Princess Charlene was there She had the first role .

The Rose Ball is the Casiraghi's with her bling bling as ever.

With their bling bling :eek: Should they have worn potato sacks to a charity ball :bang:

Yes Caroline and her family are the main attendees. Not because it is some fancy party to show off their bling. Its a Charity event. Yes it is the start of the social season in Monaco (and yes is glamorous to be the perfect start) but it also raises money for the Princess Grace Foundation. The charity supports the arts and does a lot of work. She and her brother are chairs of the ball, so yes they attend every year.

In museum exhibitions about Grace a lot of jewellery worn by her features along with pieces that I thought definately belonged only to Caroline such as the diamond and pearl Cartier tiara. These pieces are always labelled as belonging to the Prince of Monaco so the question of ownership is confusing. If sets like the pearls don't actually belong to Caroline then Charlene should also be able to use them but then Caroline had been wearing her mother's jewels for so many years before Albert married that perhaps she has kind of taken them over and dosn't want to share them. Who knows?

Some pieces were never Grace's. The pearl drop tiara is one. It was a wedding gift to Princess Charlotte. Charlotte left her jewels to her granddaughters instead of her daughter in law. Like Charlene's Grace's jewels were new as she didn't get any from her MIL. Its not like in the UK and Sweden for instance where certain jewels always belong to the crown. Its possible for the exhibition, it was just labelled that way, meaning princely house of Monaco.

As for this year's ball:

Beatrice was, as she usually is, best dressed. She looked stunning :flowers:

Tatiana's dress looked matronly and not for a ball. Caroline's looked like some bad flamenco costume at the bottom. Charlotte's was better then some years. Alexandra's wasn't too bad.

Carole looks wonderful.

Official statement of what? That Charlotte and Dimitri are indeed engaged and plan to marry?

Yes, the suggestion being an official palace announcement of a wedding between the two, coming. Why Carole is taking a high place next to Albert at the event. Not just Dmitri there, as dates aren't a shock.

That her husband attends makes it worse I am a little tired of Charlene actually I a huge supporter of her at the time of her engagement an d I would have thought and I could be just so wrong here but her role is to support her husband and the events most especially the fund raising ones in Monaco after all and I could be wrong here to ... but last time I looked she was HSH of Monaco so there is no excuse in my mind that her non attendance is acceptable

Her role is to be the spouse of the Prince. She is there at the Fête Nationale. She did welcome the President of China. She attends Sainte-Devote. She attends the Grand-Prix de Monaco. She is there when the Diamond League (the most prestigious athletics series) is in Stade Louis II. She is there when once again Rafael Nadal crushes his opponents at the Monte-Carlo Country Club. And yes, she lets the spotlights for Stéphanie at the Festival du Cirque. And she lets the spotlights for Caroline at the Bal de la Rose. I actually think that is noble and ladylike from her.

Last edited:
I don't understand (again) why Charlene is not present. She doesn't seem to do many appearances. Not sure what the deal is.

Caroline looks stunning!

Beatrice is gorgeous and best dressed as usual.

Charlotte ...not a great look for her, the bodice is unfortunate.

Tatiana...meh again..as usual.

Alexandra ...it's a cute dress but rather skimpy.

LaRae

Noble and ladylike for her? In Monaco the Prince Souvrain controls everything. Princess Caroline Is the President of : Amade, Prince Pierre Foundatiion, Philarmonica Orchestra, Garden Club, Printemps des Arts, Montecarlo Ballets and vice president of Princess Grace . This since almost 37 years. Do you think Charlene would be able to handle these duties? After 12 years she can't speak franch!

They all look great. Would love to see HD photos of the outfits. Loved the color of Charlotte's top or top part of the dress, she fills it out nicely; Tatiana is glam but still true to her style; Alexandra's the cutest and gets points for most on theme; Beatrice looked beautiful but that gown's cut and color are so meh, too safe; Caroline's is my least favorite...

Carole Bouquet came with her daughter in law Charlotte who married her youngest Son and was pregnant at the same time than Charlotte Casiraghi.
They have a happy quiet life abd no paps when they are going out of theit house
I thought we would see Caroline or Charlotte smiling or speaking to Carole, it seems not.

At the Hola! website there is a video...Carole Bouquet is seated with the Princely Family at dinner. She is seated to the right of Prince Albert and directly across from Princess Caroline.

The two women are sort of leaning towards one another and speaking together in an animated fashion.

At this point, Dimitri's mother seems very much part of the family.

Noble and ladylike for her? In Monaco the Prince Souvrain controls everything. Princess Caroline Is the President of : Amade, Prince Pierre Foundatiion, Philarmonica Orchestra, Garden Club, Printemps des Arts, Montecarlo Ballets and vice president of Princess Grace . This since almost 37 years. Do you think Charlene would be able to handle these duties? After 12 years she can't speak franch!

The Prince Souverain does indeed control everything and his Princess has a portfolio of duties that is well considered by both herself and her spouse. Think of her work in Africa, her swimming lessons, her environmental initiatives. The Bal de la rose is a vehicle for the princess of Hannover and I agree with a previous poster that Princess Charlene has done well to leave the honours to her sister in law. Regarding the Princess' ability to speak French, do recall that Princess Grace herself was never entirely fluent in French; I am sure that Princess Charlene will get there eventually even though her husband probably prefers to speak English to her!

Each comparison with Princess Grace Is embarassing.I'm old enough to know what a great job did Grace since the .beginnings aand fterr her death Caroline. Embarassing .

Last edited:
Great post above, gerry. Well said, and I support your opinion that P Albert is indeed in control of matters and there is probably agreement as to who attends when. I think duties are well divided among family members, including the next generation.

This is simply caused by the fact that Princess Caroline was for decades effectively the First Lady. In this long time the Princess has constructed a lasting bond with these organizations. I think it would be strange when the Princess is expected to step down from her position in Les ballets de Monte-Carlo or in the Orchestre Philharmonique because her brother has married someone.

Back
Top Bottom