Rose Ball, Monaco: 2005 - 2024

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Lovely photos!

Please forgive my ignorance. P. Antoinette was Prince Ranier's sister? Pierre is the one with the short hair correct and Beatrice is his girlfriend? What does Beatrice do, she looks like a ballerina.

Antoinette was indeed Rainier III's sister. Pierre is the one with the short hair and Beatrice is his girlfriend. As far as I know she is still a law student/aristocrat.

Please forgive my ignorance. P. Antoinette was Prince Ranier's sister? Pierre is the one with the short hair correct and Beatrice is his girlfriend? What does Beatrice do, she looks like a ballerina.

Yes, she was Rainier´s only sister.

Bea is Pierre´s girlfriend, she works as a journalist and has a degree in law.

They look great...They are carrying on a tradition...Bless them for that! I'm sure that is what Princess Antoinette would have wanted

It should have been cancelled. People in Monaco are mourning and have a funeral next week. Show mustn´t always go on.

I'm kind of divided on this issue. Princess Antoinette's death happened too close to the day itself that it would have been so difficult to suddenly cancel or postpone the ball, reschedule the event or refund whoever wants one. The financial loses would have been considerable if the ball did not push through as planned. Also, the pictures imply that the Casiraghi trio graced the event but after Andrea's speech, left and did not partake in the festivities. So it was a rather appropriate course of events.

But just as Rosana mentioned, especially in such a small place, the passing of a member of the ruling family must have been so pervasive. There is that extremely watered down atmosphere, and not just in the faces of the Casiraghi siblings. It also might have felt so discouraging for the featured performers or special guests to be stuck in an event that simply had to go on, with none of the ruling family -- which remains the main attraction of the principality especially with the pending marriage of the prince -- attending and having a good time.

Also, isn't holding a ball, regardless of its grandeur or significance in the principality's social calendar, a violation of an official mourning period?

The Casiraghi's ... obviously have the grace and dignity of their materials grandmother. Further proof that it's not something that can be surgically purchased.

Good job, Caroline! Your mother would be very proud.

Charlotte looks good, in what I'm sure was a very lat minute dress change, she seems to be wearing beautiful jewels of her moms collection any info on them?

I know I've seen Princess Caroline wearing the brooch, but couldn't somebody at least pin it on straight?

Beatrice Borromero, who Pierre met while at university in Milan is the daughter of Count Carlo Fernando Borromeo and his wife Paolo Marzotto. Her Uncle Count Matteo Mazotto is the former head of Valentino. The Borromeos are an extremely influential and wealthy family in the history of Milan. They still own a chain of islands the Borromean islands. I am not sure if that is her father or another branch. Pope Paul V was a member of the family. Her parents never married, she has three half sisters from her father's former marriage, and a full brother.

June 2010 she graduated with her degree in law from Bocconi University where Piere was studying economics. She has been a model (for names like Channel, Valentino, Cavalli), tv reporter and radio. She now lives in Rome and is a full time journalist for IL Fatto Quotidiano.

I'm kind of divided on this issue. Princess Antoinette's death happened too close to the day itself that it would have been so difficult to suddenly cancel or postpone the ball, reschedule the event or refund whoever wants one. The financial loses would have been considerable if the ball did not push through as planned. Also, the pictures imply that the Casiraghi trio graced the event but after Andrea's speech, left and did not partake in the festivities. So it was a rather appropriate course of events.

But just as Rosana mentioned, especially in such a small place, the passing of a member of the ruling family must have been so pervasive. There is that extremely watered down atmosphere, and not just in the faces of the Casiraghi siblings. It also might have felt so discouraging for the featured performers or special guests to be stuck in an event that simply had to go on, with none of the ruling family -- which remains the main attraction of the principality especially with the pending marriage of the prince -- attending and having a good time.

Also, isn't holding a ball, regardless of its grandeur or significance in the principality's social calendar, a violation of an official mourning period?

Agreed, the Good news is that the Gala must go on, the bad news is that members of the ruling family won’t be there the entire evening. I am divided too. I think that this difficult situation could only happen in a small principality. A larger country would have more royal relations that could step in place of the ruling prince at a gala, should such a sad event occurred before a scheduled ball. They managed the best that they could, given the suddenness of Princess Antoinette’s death. If my great aunt passed suddenly, I would not be in a celebratory mood either; attending the ball must not have been an enjoyable task for the Casiraghi’s . I wonder why the girlfriends of Pierre and Andrea were not attired in all black?

I know I've seen Princess Caroline wearing the brooch, but couldn't somebody at least pin it on straight?

The bodice of the dress puckered and draped in so many different directions and the fabric looks like velvet, not a thick fabric, so the broach probably was pinned on correctly, then slipped sideways.

Last edited by a moderator:
Also, the pictures imply that the Casiraghi trio graced the event but after Andrea's speech, left and did not partake in the festivities. So it was a rather appropriate course of events.

That would seem appropriate and probably not in violation of mourning since the Casiraghis are her great nieces and nephews. It's my understanding (from reading various ettiquette books) that the level of mourning depends on the relationship to the deceased - ie the farther away the lower the level of or shorter the period of mourning.

I am glad the show went on, Antoinette would have wanted it that way and it is for a good cause, however, I am sure there was something of a cloud haning over the event this year. You just cannot have fun when something so terrible has just happened. I am very impressed with the Casiraghis, and Andrea in particular, stepping up to the plate to help the dynasty. They looked very glamorous, very respectful and very, well, just mature and grown-up. I think they really came through in this event. And, after all, God knows they all have plenty of black on hand...:cool:

:monacostandard: :monacoflag:

Is it just me or is Charlotte looking a little bit buff? Her deltoids are pretty prominent and her arms appear very toned, not just lean. The dress accentuates it even further.

From the pictures, I would say the Casiraghis acquitted themselves of their duty with the right dosage of glamour and solemnity. They were perfect. Choosing them as the emissaries of the Grimaldi family was brilliant. Having them leave before the festivities was a class act. It is what, in diplomatic terms, would have been called a win-win situation. Knowing what the deceased would have wanted is a tricky one, unless specific statements are made.

Is it just me or is Charlotte looking a little bit buff? Her deltoids are pretty prominent and her arms appear very toned, not just lean. The dress accentuates it even further.

She seems to be, a gym bunny.

Is there a video from the event?

Hi everybody!
I'm new here. I just saw an article wich says that Charlotte, Andrea and Pierre left the ball as soon as Andrea finished his speech. Here is the link: Monaco.maville.com Monaco - Salle des Etoiles : un Bal de la rose terni par le destin
The article says that Andrea was full of dignity, and talked about his aunt in very touching words.
This very short apperance explains why we don't have many pictures of the Casiraghis! I wonder if Alex, Bea and Tatiana spent the whole night dancing, or if they left too to join their mourning beloved.

(I'm really sorry if my english is bad, but I don't practice it a lot!)

^ Thanks for the info LovelyKate. I was wondering if they stayed for the dinner or if they left! It makes sense that they would leave, but I wonder if the guests had as much fun as usual without any members of the family present. Tati, Bea, and Alex did stay for the dinner because I've seen pictures, but I don't know about the dancing.

You're welcome! Here is an article from purepeople.com which says exactly the same things as Nice Matin. They ad that the trio just spent half an hour at the ball before leaving.
The only information I learnt in this article: the whole family has assisted to a mass in Antoinette's memory this morning at 8.30.

Here is a link, with some pics of the ball: Bal de la Rose 2011 : Charlotte, Andrea et Pierre Casiraghi dignes et émouvants

Charlotte must be a very sensitive person, she seemed so sad and moved yesterday at night.

In Hola, it said Charlotte's dress was by Lanvin. I like her brooch and I wonder if it was a brooch that Caroline would have worn instead, but as Caroline's emissary at the ball, Charlotte wore it?

I think it was appropriate for the Rose Ball to go on. As previously mentioned, this would be an headache for those who paid to attend the event, who came from out of town, those who were scheduled to work and perform, a bad situation all the way around.

With that in mind, it is a sad time with Princess Antoinette passing. For all we know (like Queen Mary who insisted that the crowning of Elizabeth II go on if she died before the event), Princess Antoinette could have said the same exact thing. We will never know.

It was extremely respectful for Albert, Caroline, Stephanie (and Charlene) not to attend the event, and brillant thinking that the Trio arrived, opened the event, said a few words and left. That is the way to do it. It would have been shocking and inappropriate if they stayed around and danced.

A perfect way to deal with the death of the Princess Antoinette IMO.

CasiraghiTrio said:
In Hola, it said Charlotte's dress was by Lanvin. I like her brooch and I wonder if it was a brooch that Caroline would have worn instead, but as Caroline's emissary at the ball, Charlotte wore it?

Per another poster on the jewelry thread the brooch used to belong to Princess Grace ....

I think the whole situation has been handled very well - the decision that close family members didn't attend, the dignified dress & behaviour of Caroline's siblings & their decision to leave before the dancing got going. Rainier & Grace would have been proud ! Great to see all three being supported by their partners too.

^ Yes, nice to see that Tatiana was there to support Andrea. I remember that when Tatiana's father died, Andrea didn't come to Rose Ball. This ball must such a sad event for both of them now, even if as far Andrea is concerned, his aunt died at the age of 90, she has had a wonderful life.

:ermm:Since the theme was Motown, wouldn't it have been awesome if they had gotten some old Motown stars there like Stevie Wonder, Diana Ross or Smokey Robinson?

Dame Shirley Bassey is wonderful of course, but she is there every single year.

In any case, Caroline's children were magnificent and they handled things flawlessly. ITA agree with Zonk that the ball should have taken place, it was way too late to cancel.

Also, welcome to TRF, LovelyKate!:flowers:

I agree with everything that has been said about the Casiraghi's atitude: they proved themselves worthy of their breed and education. Here's a Google translation of Andrea's speech...

"We're very sensitive to the fact that so many of you are here tonight. Our aunt was very fond of this Rose Ball, and it is likely that all of us to be most involved. Your presence is a tribute to him as you go. While mourning his passing, I recall that it remains for us a warm and loving face, like a rich and eventful life in the service of charity. She would not have liked this ball does not happen tonight because of it. Thank you all for your generosity."
:crown2: :crown2: :crown2:

Back
Top Bottom