The Royal Forums Coat of Arms


Join The Royal Forums Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #2081  
Old 03-27-2018, 11:59 AM
fandesacs2003's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Athens, Greece
Posts: 4,342
For people looking for glitter and fame, yes they are. They will be more fascinated to appear to an event where was Grace Kelly's grandaughter, a beautiful woman and "it" girl, than with a descendent of the Austria imperial family, or or a German Margravin or Fürstin , which actually a few people know.
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #2082  
Old 03-27-2018, 12:20 PM
Moonmaiden23's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Los Angeles, United States
Posts: 8,338


With only a couple of exceptions, I care more about the Casiraghi/Grimaldi/Hanovers than any of the other families on this Forum, most whom, to be completely honest strike me as not all that "Royal" any more anyway.

Tragedy, glamour, history...Monaco has it all as far as I am concerned.
__________________

__________________
"Be who God intended you to be, and you will set the world on fire" St. Catherine of Siena

"The arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends toward justice". Martin Luther King Jr. 1929-1968
Reply With Quote
  #2083  
Old 03-27-2018, 02:01 PM
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 1,665
I see absolutely nothing wrong with getting dressed up and having fun socialising whilst raising money - for goodness sake, why is it necessary to be sanctimonious about raising money for charity? Charity and an expensive evening aren't mutually exclusive - I utterly disagree that it's all about vanity and showing off.
Reply With Quote
  #2084  
Old 03-27-2018, 02:25 PM
Duc_et_Pair's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: City, Netherlands
Posts: 8,799
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florestane View Post
I see absolutely nothing wrong with getting dressed up and having fun socialising whilst raising money - for goodness sake, why is it necessary to be sanctimonious about raising money for charity? Charity and an expensive evening aren't mutually exclusive - I utterly disagree that it's all about vanity and showing off.

Of course it is pure vanity. € 800.000,-- revenue. € 266.000,-- for the charity.



"Honey... it is the Bal de la Rose next week.

Tickets to Nice - check

Transfer to Monte Carlo - check

Accomodation in the Hôtel de Paris - check

The dress from Schiaparelli - check

The jewels from Van Cleef & Arpels - check

The shoes from Manolo Blahnik - check

[...]

Oh yes, that ticket for 800 bucks - check"

Real charity is just donate and be silent.
Reply With Quote
  #2085  
Old 03-27-2018, 02:31 PM
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 1,665
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
Of course it is pure vanity. € 800.000,-- revenue. € 266.000,-- for the charity.



"Honey... it is the Bal de la Rose next week.

Tickets to Nice - check

Transfer to Monte Carlo - check

Accomodation in the Hôtel de Paris - check

The dress from Schiaparelli - check

The jewels from Van Cleef & Arpels - check

The shoes from Manolo Blahnik - check

[...]

Oh yes, that ticket for 800 bucks - check"

Real charity is just donate and be silent.
No it isn't - charity is about giving money to causes that need it. If people want to spend 5 times as much on themselves with their own money and have fun it doesn't alter the fact that a lot of money has been raised for a good cause. It's still money for charity - the cold hard cash is still "real". And keeping silent about it doesn't get you an extra place in heaven - if you want to say you were there then go for it.
Reply With Quote
  #2086  
Old 03-27-2018, 04:09 PM
Lady Nimue's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Pacific Palisades CA, United States
Posts: 4,422
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florestane View Post
I see absolutely nothing wrong with getting dressed up and having fun socialising whilst raising money - for goodness sake, why is it necessary to be sanctimonious about raising money for charity? Charity and an expensive evening aren't mutually exclusive - I utterly disagree that it's all about vanity and showing off.
I agree. Most all high end charity is about the socializing and having a good time. If there was just the ball then the charity money would never happen so it's an extra plus. (I'm an under-the-skin Marxist who's been around this kind of stuff for many years. It's not a worthwhile area where one should expend one's outrage. Think about it. JMO)
__________________
Russian National Anthem: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bGoNaLjQrV8
O Magnum Mysterium: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWU7dyey6yo
Reply With Quote
  #2087  
Old 03-27-2018, 04:35 PM
Duc_et_Pair's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: City, Netherlands
Posts: 8,799
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Nimue View Post
I agree. Most all high end charity is about the socializing and having a good time. If there was just the ball then the charity money would never happen so it's an extra plus. (I'm an under-the-skin Marxist who's been around this kind of stuff for many years. It's not the place one should expend one's outrage. Think about it. JMO)
Of course it would happen. All over Europe are countless charities. They are fund with donations, gifts, legates, collections, investments, inheritances, state allowances, etc. From the Red Cross to the Order of Malta. From the Dogs Shelter in Málaga to the Save the Seals in Denmark. Just with money from you and me. No Oscar de la Renta dress in sight. No digesting the lobster away with Moët Pommery Rosé champagne. Just donate because it is your feeling which says: "Yes, that is a cause I would like to support!". Not because I can walk down a red carpet and pay off my conscience with a lousy ticket for a fancy ball.
Reply With Quote
  #2088  
Old 03-27-2018, 05:04 PM
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 1,665
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
Of course it would happen. All over Europe are countless charities. They are fund with donations, gifts, legates, collections, investments, inheritances, state allowances, etc. From the Red Cross to the Order of Malta. From the Dogs Shelter in Málaga to the Save the Seals in Denmark. Just with money from you and me. No Oscar de la Renta dress in sight. No digesting the lobster away with Moët Pommery Rosé champagne. Just donate because it is your feeling which says: "Yes, that is a cause I would like to support!". Not because I can walk down a red carpet and pay off my conscience with a lousy ticket for a fancy ball.
World of judgement there. I can go out and have a good time AND support a charity that appeals to me - I'm not appeasing my conscience, I can do both at the same time.
Reply With Quote
  #2089  
Old 03-27-2018, 05:11 PM
Moonmaiden23's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Los Angeles, United States
Posts: 8,338
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
Of course it would happen. All over Europe are countless charities. They are fund with donations, gifts, legates, collections, investments, inheritances, state allowances, etc. From the Red Cross to the Order of Malta. From the Dogs Shelter in Málaga to the Save the Seals in Denmark. Just with money from you and me. No Oscar de la Renta dress in sight. No digesting the lobster away with Moët Pommery Rosé champagne. Just donate because it is your feeling which says: "Yes, that is a cause I would like to support!". Not because I can walk down a red carpet and pay off my conscience with a lousy ticket for a fancy ball.
The Principality of Monaco-is...the Principality of Monaco.

It's main and most legendary feature is a Casino for heaven's sake, and a decadent lavish beyond description hotel that once served as home away from home to mythical figures like Winston Churchill and Aristotle Onassis.

You cannot truly expect some little low key charity raffle in a place like Monaco which thrives on it's image of lobster and truffles and champagne and billionaires and would probably lose it's raison d'etre without those things?

I am surprised that you of all posters would need to be reminded.
__________________
"Be who God intended you to be, and you will set the world on fire" St. Catherine of Siena

"The arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends toward justice". Martin Luther King Jr. 1929-1968
Reply With Quote
  #2090  
Old 03-28-2018, 06:25 AM
Duc_et_Pair's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: City, Netherlands
Posts: 8,799
The question was how much this whole circus raises for the Fondation Princesse Grace.
1 000 tickets ŕ € 800 makes a nice sum of € 800 000

This fancy evening however costs quite a lot, so after emptying the bottle of Château Pichon-Longueville Comtesse de Lalande 1990, the applause is for a cheque of € 266 000.

Not my style. That may be clear.
Reply With Quote
  #2091  
Old 03-28-2018, 06:56 AM
moby's Avatar
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 1,082
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florestane View Post
No it isn't - charity is about giving money to causes that need it. If people want to spend 5 times as much on themselves with their own money and have fun it doesn't alter the fact that a lot of money has been raised for a good cause. It's still money for charity - the cold hard cash is still "real". And keeping silent about it doesn't get you an extra place in heaven - if you want to say you were there then go for it.
This is true. And we assume the "revenue" for the charity comes only from the tickets when a lot of times, this is also the chance for officers of the charity to corner rich people and extract further donations from them. Lots of things happen in these kinds of events also that are harder to quantify.
__________________
It seems to me that origination is perhaps instinct, not intellect. -Joe Strummer

Reply With Quote
  #2092  
Old 03-28-2018, 08:35 AM
Duc_et_Pair's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: City, Netherlands
Posts: 8,799
Quote:
Originally Posted by moby View Post
This is true. And we assume the "revenue" for the charity comes only from the tickets when a lot of times, this is also the chance for officers of the charity to corner rich people and extract further donations from them. Lots of things happen in these kinds of events also that are harder to quantify.
But the Fondation Princesse Grace would triple their spending power when the "overhead" was not that monstruous.

If for every Euro spend on the Casino only one centime goes to the Fondaton, then they are there too, without all this carnival eating away the revenues for the good causes.
Reply With Quote
  #2093  
Old 03-29-2018, 05:52 PM
Nobility
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Burke, United States
Posts: 439
Wasn't it Grace who restored all the charity balls in Monaco?
Reply With Quote
  #2094  
Old 03-31-2018, 07:20 PM
HereditaryPrincess's Avatar
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Greater London, United Kingdom
Posts: 9,133
I'm not sure if this has been posted before but Noblesse & Royautes have published the menu from the Rose Ball:

Lobster of cold seas with truffles
Poultry and soft crab in puffed rice tempura
Cheesecake, brownie and vanilla ice cream, pecan pie

https://translate.google.co.uk/trans...m/&prev=search
__________________
"For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone". Audrey Hepburn

*
"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy". Anne Frank
Reply With Quote
  #2095  
Old 04-01-2018, 10:38 AM
lazuli's Avatar
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Lisboa, Portugal
Posts: 1,718
Quote:
Originally Posted by HereditaryPrincess View Post
I'm not sure if this has been posted before but Noblesse & Royautes have published the menu from the Rose Ball:

Lobster of cold seas with truffles
Poultry and soft crab in puffed rice tempura
Cheesecake, brownie and vanilla ice cream, pecan pie

https://translate.google.co.uk/trans...m/&prev=search
Nham, nham, nham... I could help myself of this menu!!!
Nice finding!!!
Reply With Quote
  #2096  
Old 04-01-2018, 08:21 PM
Gentry
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: There and about, Spain
Posts: 78
I love Charlotte in that dress.

And it is weird because it's the kind of theatrical outfit that usually Caroline wears but Charlotte is absolutely unable to pull off. She usually looks eaten-up when she tries to imitate her mother with this kind of daring dresses.

But in this case she really pulls it off. Her attitute enhances the dress and viceversa. She looks sure of herself, adult and elegant.
__________________

Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
ball, charlene wittstock, charlotte casiraghi, pierre casiraghi, prince albert ii, princess caroline, princess charlene


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Red Cross Ball, Monaco: 2005 - 2018 tbhrc Princely Family of Monaco 1557 08-22-2018 08:52 AM
A Retrospective: Rose Ball - Monaco tbhrc Princely Family of Monaco 176 07-29-2015 04:38 PM
A Retrospective: Red Cross Ball - Monaco Lyonnaise Princely Family of Monaco 207 06-09-2006 03:48 PM
Online Monaco Party Thread to celebrate the 2006 Rose Ball teense Princely Family of Monaco 62 03-26-2006 05:50 PM




Popular Tags
"chinese gordon" baltic republics bonaparte british royal family britishroyals camilla ceremony christian ix clothes commonwealth games current events current events thread daughter documentary duchess of sussex duke of sussex duke of york dutch royal family earl of wessex extramarital affairs fashion felipe vi genetics headship hohenzollern introduction juan carlos kate middleton king king felipe and queen letizia current events king willem-alexander ladies-in-waiting lady louise mountbatten-windsor letizia meghan markle modernization northampton osborn patronages porphyria prince charles prince charles; biographies; tom bower prince daniel prince harry prince harry of wales prince of belgium prince peter princess royal prince william public opinion quizz royal royal ancestry royal geneology royal ladies royal wedding sarah ferguson savoy siblings soldier state visit swedish royal registry the crown titles uk styles visit from sweden wedding windsor windsor castle windsor wedding working visit



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:45 PM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2019
Jelsoft Enterprises