The Royal Forums Coat of Arms


Join The Royal Forums Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #261  
Old 04-01-2008, 05:55 PM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: ......, Argentina
Posts: 1,383
Why does Charlene have to color hae hair, isn´t she blond enough, i don´t think she has grey hair yet.
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #262  
Old 04-01-2008, 06:04 PM
giov's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Roma, Italy
Posts: 2,342
Quote:
Originally Posted by hibou View Post
I have to agree about the body parts but I really wonder if she realized that under certain light it would become see-through? .
Maybe Caroline didn't realize that, but nonetheless, as the top of the dress wasn't thight and didn't fit her well, I wonder why she didn't wear a bra, as any lady of her age should.
Is she a teenager?
I am afraid this is another sympton of mid-age crisis, as other posters said.
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #263  
Old 04-01-2008, 06:21 PM
Moonmaiden23's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Los Angeles, United States
Posts: 4,519
Quote:
Originally Posted by hibou View Post
I have to agree about the body parts but I really wonder if she realized that under certain light it would become see-through? I also think you are right about Charlene but she does have a habit of getting things wrong most of the time. I do like her haircut and she finally got someone to professionally color her hair.
hibou that's actually a great point. The Ball traditionally takes place in the evening as a soiree under very dim light. Perhaps the Princess didn't take the lighting into account when she tried on the dress? I have seen this gown on the runway and it's really not a bad dress. It's just not a "Caroline" look IMO.

At first I didn't like Charlene's haircut but now I do. Thank God she got rid of that stringy flyaway look she had! It only ever looked elegant when pinned into a chignon but let's face it...a young woman cannot wear a chignon 24-7.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosana View Post
Why does Charlene have to color hae hair, isn´t she blond enough, i don´t think she has grey hair yet.

No I don't think hibou meant grey hair. I think Charlene's hair had become damaged by years of exposure to chlorine and other elements while swimming so she has wisely had a colorist to highlight it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crm2317 View Post
Charlene's dress was beautiful she was radient. Someone asked about the mark on her arm I believe it is from a vaccination I have one also. We were given one in high school and whatever type it is everyone gets a mark on their arm. However Charlene's looks to have been infected at a time to leave that large a mark when some are only left with a slight discolouring of the skin.

Pierre is so handsome but I had to ask: I was looking at the HOLA! pictures and it looked to me like he was wearing slippers
The only thing that would have made Charlene look even better would have been some nice diamond/aquamarine earings as accessories. She is not wearing ANY accessories and the right earrings would have been drop dead gorgeous.

Someone mentioned Pierre's buzzcut. It's because he is currently serving in the military. I wish Andrea had been there, it's always nice when he shows up.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #264  
Old 04-01-2008, 06:37 PM
tan_berry's Avatar
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic
Posts: 250
I think the event was very well organized and an absolute success. It seems the show the spanish people took there was fabulous. The decoration of the salon was excellent for the theme. Charlotte was exquisite. The little coat resembles a spanish "bolero", like the one that use the "matador". Charlene´s dress was pretty but absolute out of theme. The only exaggeration of the night was in the Caroline´s dress, but it was, at least, in the spirit of the ball.
__________________
We men build too many walls and not enough bridges. Sir Isaac Newton
Reply With Quote
  #265  
Old 04-01-2008, 07:34 PM
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 2,443
The Rose Ball when Grace was alive was strictly dedicated to a country or a rose, and it was usually a ball to celebrate those elements. It wasn't a costume ball in her time...the pics where you see Princess Grace wearing costume dresses are from other events such as: the 100 years of Monte Carlo, a head dress gala in the Casino, and others, but never at a Rose Ball.

Princess Caroline in 1994 decided to renovate the ball and since then it's been destined to honor a theme and create a whole concept that deals with this theme, being reflected in the decor, the performers and such. In modern days it is not a costume ball, since guests are requiered to wear a tuxedo and a night dress, not a costume. Princess Caroline has never gone dressed fully in costume, yet she tries to wear maybe some elements that can be associated to the theme in her accesories...never seen her wearing a bowl of fruit on her head, a tango dress etc.

The themes have been:
1994: The Insolit, to honor the russian rose gardens
1995: Tango
1996: Caribbean
1997: 700th Anniversary of the Grimaldi family
1998: SBM, Monaco in the 50s
1999: Prince Rainier's Jubilee
2000: 2000, tribute to Fernando Botero
2001: The Desert
2002: Pop
2003: Africa
2004: China
2005: Brazil
2006: Reggae
2007: Gypsy
__________________
Monaco70s
Reply With Quote
  #266  
Old 04-01-2008, 09:17 PM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Philadelphia, United States
Posts: 1,024
Quote:
Originally Posted by giov View Post
Maybe Caroline didn't realize that, but nonetheless, as the top of the dress wasn't thight and didn't fit her well, I wonder why she didn't wear a bra, as any lady of her age should.
Is she a teenager?
I am afraid this is another sympton of mid-age crisis, as other posters said.
I agree there comes a time when a women of a certain age needs to dress more appropriately but I also wonder if one has grown up as Caroline has, and been pictured so many times on magazine covers etc that it doesn't become more difficult to still look fashionable without becoming a fashion victim. Charlotte's dress was beautiful but too old for her. Maybe they should have switched outfits?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaDreamin View Post
No I don't think hibou meant grey hair. I think Charlene's hair had become damaged by years of exposure to chlorine and other elements while swimming so she has wisely had a colorist to highlight it.
that's what I meant. blonde hair turns all sorts of colors with sun and chlorine damage not to mention all the mouse and hairspray it's subjected to these days, so it was best to cut it short and get the color normal.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #267  
Old 04-01-2008, 11:21 PM
LadyMacAlpine's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: *****, United States
Posts: 2,285
Quote:
Originally Posted by hibou View Post
that's what I meant. blonde hair turns all sorts of colors with sun and chlorine damage not to mention all the mouse and hairspray it's subjected to these days, so it was best to cut it short and get the color normal.
The damage should be gone by now and her color isn't normal she is a dark blonde light brown.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #268  
Old 04-02-2008, 01:04 AM
RubyPrincess168's Avatar
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Sun Prairie, United States
Posts: 1,619
Quote:
Originally Posted by La Bouche d'Or View Post
I'm wondering what Caroline's thinking now, when these unflattering pictures are all around the globe.
Do you think royalty-by-birth have regrets about fashions they wear? I don't mean decades later what-was-I-thinking kinds of regrets - we all have those!
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #269  
Old 04-02-2008, 04:26 AM
MARG's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Christchurch, New Zealand
Posts: 3,962
Quote:
Originally Posted by hibou View Post
Maybe they should have switched outfits?
Maybe they did!
__________________
MARG
"Words ought to be a little wild, for they are assaults of thoughts on the unthinking." - JM Keynes
Reply With Quote
  #270  
Old 04-02-2008, 04:43 AM
Lakshmi's Avatar
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: *, United States
Posts: 1,226
I watched 2006 and 2007 Rose Balls. Themes were great, most outfits OK. I was very suspicious when I read about this year's theme first time. I just did not like it. And unfortunatelly many women, not only Caro got it wrong, choosing really bad outfits.
__________________
"Do what you feel in your heart to be right - for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't.''
Eleanor Roosevelt

"The course of true love never did run smooth " William Shakespeare, 'A Midsummer Night's Dream'

http://www.aishwarya-rai.com/
Reply With Quote
  #271  
Old 04-02-2008, 06:00 AM
cdm's Avatar
cdm cdm is offline
Courtier
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: België, Belgique, Belgium
Posts: 921
I didn't like Caroline's and Charlotte's outfits either. Mostly because they didn't fit well. They looked quite allright on the catwalk pictures. They shouldn't have made Caroline's dress longer.
I do like Chanel on Caroline, but most of the time I like the Chanel daytime outfits better than the evening gowns. My favourite Caro evening gowns were not Chanel's.
I did like the Movida theme though. I'm a big Almodovar fan. The decoration of the Sporting Club looked great.
Charlene's dress was beautifull, maybe she should have chosen an accessoire in the Movida fashion, but she was the best looking one of this ball.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #272  
Old 04-02-2008, 06:30 AM
Duke of Marmalade's Avatar
Majesty
TRF Author
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Frankfurt am Main, Germany
Posts: 8,504
First time that I think Charlene looked REALLY beautiful. The dress is ok but is being made look fantastic next to these hideous "dresses" of Charlotte & most of all Caroline. Were no mirrors around when they got dressed? Albert should at least have told his older sister to change her outfit before they went in front of the cameras. I always thought that Caroline was a bastion of class in dressing but this outing made not only look her cheap and highly unappropriate but also added up to Monaco's cheap & second class image. Lagerfeld must watch out that he doesn't end up as a caricature of himself.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #273  
Old 04-02-2008, 09:01 AM
Courtier
TRF Author
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Arlington, United States
Posts: 850
Quote:
Originally Posted by monaco70s View Post
The Rose Ball when Grace was alive was strictly dedicated to a country or a rose, and it was usually a ball to celebrate those elements. It wasn't a costume ball in her time...the pics where you see Princess Grace wearing costume dresses are from other events such as: the 100 years of Monte Carlo, a head dress gala in the Casino, and others, but never at a Rose Ball.

Princess Caroline in 1994 decided to renovate the ball and since then it's been destined to honor a theme and create a whole concept that deals with this theme, being reflected in the decor, the performers and such. In modern days it is not a costume ball, since guests are requiered to wear a tuxedo and a night dress, not a costume. Princess Caroline has never gone dressed fully in costume, yet she tries to wear maybe some elements that can be associated to the theme in her accesories...never seen her wearing a bowl of fruit on her head, a tango dress etc.

The themes have been:
1994: The Insolit, to honor the russian rose gardens
1995: Tango
1996: Caribbean
1997: 700th Anniversary of the Grimaldi family
1998: SBM, Monaco in the 50s
1999: Prince Rainier's Jubilee
2000: 2000, tribute to Fernando Botero
2001: The Desert
2002: Pop
2003: Africa
2004: China
2005: Brazil
2006: Reggae
2007: Gypsy
Thank you for setting the record straight, monaco70s, and for doing the research about the past Rose Balls. I must say I was a little confused about this business about costume balls and the Rose ball being a costume ball, especially after rereading the official press release statement where nothing about a Mardi Gras ball was indicated and the dress code for ladies was just plain "evening gowns". It is then more accurate to say the Rose Ball has a theme and the guests can dress in the mood of the theme.

I also didn't know it had been renovated by P. Caroline in 1994 (great initiative on her part). The general setting, decor, etc, have always been beautiful, she is surrounded by a great team.

It would be nice if she could also resurrect the true costume ball. I remember the Swedish royal family doing a Renaissance fair style event, where they all got dressed up in period costumes and the two princesses (but also Queen Silvia and the gentlemen) looked gorgeous. I'd love to see Charlotte in a period costume. What would you suggest ? The medieval style does suit her face. I think an Arabian Night theme would make all the young ladies stand out and have fun. (And there'll be a rule for no lady over 35 showing a bare belly no matter how many belly dancing lessons they take before the event...). I suggest Elie Saab as their designer, he does such a wonderful job for Queen Rania. But there are others as well. Or how about a Japanese theme, and choose the costume designer who did the wardrobe for the 2 films that won awards recently? Unfortunately, I forget his name, but he is famous for his delicate use of color and fabric. Someone might help me out here.

I still think that if if you are going to have a theme, go to the source for the costumes or clothes. These are the people who have been trained with the tradition of the country and culture and they will want to rise to the occasion : what better publicity than a successful Monaco Rose Ball ?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #274  
Old 04-02-2008, 11:04 AM
Tosca's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Somewhere in the middle of the River Po Valley, Italy
Posts: 3,546
Olycom has also a picture gallery of the Ball:
Olycom - News

I agree with you Johnnie: Lagerfeld has always been a caricature. And also agree with your friend's statement about Caroline: she's appeared as if she thinks she's anointed by God, especially since she married EA.
I have the feeling that the only man who were capable of taking her "back to the earth", so to speak, was Stefano.

Hibou, I also wonder how could Caroline wear such dress without realizing it may have turned into a see-through one in that kind of light. She wasn't born yesterday; she's been in the spotlight since her birth, and she isn't a naive teenager anymore, although I doubt she might have ever been naive.
I think she could be an excellent photographer and a skilled editor in chief herself.
She wanted to shock the audience and demonstrate that she can still bear comaprison with younger women like Charlene (and perhaps her daughter? God forbid!)

I'm glad that Stephanie stayed out from the Ball. She must have realized that one circus is enough. I also have always though that she is the most caring and intelligent of the trio. She's a person that desperately needs love, especially after her mother's death. She saw her mother die, but instead of being protected by her family she was accused for killing her Mom.
I was shocked when reading an interview Albert gave to CHI mag some months ago, when he said: "It's true that we left Stephanie all alone after that car accident, but she never asked us for help."
What? If my sister had had such an accident I wouldn't have waited for her to come to me and cry: "Hey, I need help!" It clearly showed she needed help. No wonder that she tried search for someone to cherish her outside her family circle.
__________________
Let's go back to the old, and we'll have a progress! (Giuseppe Verdi)
Reply With Quote
  #275  
Old 04-02-2008, 12:53 PM
lucien's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Amsterdam, Netherlands
Posts: 6,205
PPE Agency

Courtesy PPE/Nieboer/S.B.M./Realis
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #276  
Old 04-02-2008, 03:39 PM
Commoner
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: vienna, Austria
Posts: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tosca View Post
Olycom has also a picture gallery of the Ball:
Olycom - News

I agree with you Johnnie: Lagerfeld has always been a caricature. And also agree with your friend's statement about Caroline: she's appeared as if she thinks she's anointed by God, especially since she married EA.
I have the feeling that the only man who were capable of taking her "back to the earth", so to speak, was Stefano.

Hibou, I also wonder how could Caroline wear such dress without realizing it may have turned into a see-through one in that kind of light. She wasn't born yesterday; she's been in the spotlight since her birth, and she isn't a naive teenager anymore, although I doubt she might have ever been naive.
I think she could be an excellent photographer and a skilled editor in chief herself.
She wanted to shock the audience and demonstrate that she can still bear comaprison with younger women like Charlene (and perhaps her daughter? God forbid!)

I'm glad that Stephanie stayed out from the Ball. She must have realized that one circus is enough. I also have always though that she is the most caring and intelligent of the trio. She's a person that desperately needs love, especially after her mother's death. She saw her mother die, but instead of being protected by her family she was accused for killing her Mom.
I was shocked when reading an interview Albert gave to CHI mag some months ago, when he said: "It's true that we left Stephanie all alone after that car accident, but she never asked us for help."
What? If my sister had had such an accident I wouldn't have waited for her to come to me and cry: "Hey, I need help!" It clearly showed she needed help. No wonder that she tried search for someone to cherish her outside her family circle.
Did you notice how Caroline was lifting her dress on pictures 8, 9 and 10 of the gallery - very strange - like she wasn't showing enough skin already.
Also on the videos of Youtube - to me her behaviour was very strange a little erratic. Reminds me of Ernst August when he used to show up at official events - well let's say 'enthusiastic' - but now he seems to be on some sort of downers. What's your opinion? Do you really think Stephanie stayed away by choice - it seems to me they have an agreement of taking turns to avoid public appearances together. Steph at Albi's birthday - Caro at the Rose Ball.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #277  
Old 04-02-2008, 04:57 PM
sebastian's Avatar
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: ---, Germany
Posts: 1,591
As for the Stephanie -not -showing -up -at- the -Rose Ball - thing ... she hasn't attended for years. It would be nice if she would again but obviously there's no need. It's not that Caroline and her can't stand eachother and therefor have to take turns.

And on that note: Stephanie's children were not banned from their grandfathers funeral.

Stephanie is living happy life right now.

I always wonder how people dare to judge the state of happiness of another person.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #278  
Old 04-02-2008, 05:10 PM
Gentry
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Forest Hill, Canada
Posts: 89
Hi Johnnie!

{Inappropriate comments deleted} I find your posts enlightening for their perspective. Maybe Stephanie has finally redeemed herself in Monaco. It would be nice. I'm shocked people feel so passionately about PA though... Did you hear the PA2 Foundation will be setting up a branch in Canada in the very near future? More social events on the homefront! (and some much needed help with the environment)
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #279  
Old 04-02-2008, 05:49 PM
kbear's Avatar
Nobility
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Toowoomba, Australia
Posts: 260
Quote:
Originally Posted by moby View Post
The worst has happened! Caroline is being featured on Go Fug Yourself.
harsh but deserved!!! a full length woolen coat would have improved this look no end actually the saudi fashion of veil and all would be better (provided it was a choice not a law)
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #280  
Old 04-02-2008, 06:27 PM
kbear's Avatar
Nobility
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Toowoomba, Australia
Posts: 260
Quote:
Originally Posted by iloveroyals View Post
Thank you for setting the record straight, monaco70s, and for doing the research about the past Rose Balls. I must say I was a little confused about this business about costume balls and the Rose ball being a costume ball, especially after rereading the official press release statement where nothing about a Mardi Gras ball was indicated and the dress code for ladies was just plain "evening gowns". It is then more accurate to say the Rose Ball has a theme and the guests can dress in the mood of the theme.

I also didn't know it had been renovated by P. Caroline in 1994 (great initiative on her part). The general setting, decor, etc, have always been beautiful, she is surrounded by a great team.

It would be nice if she could also resurrect the true costume ball. I remember the Swedish royal family doing a Renaissance fair style event, where they all got dressed up in period costumes and the two princesses (but also Queen Silvia and the gentlemen) looked gorgeous. I'd love to see Charlotte in a period costume. What would you suggest ? The medieval style does suit her face. I think an Arabian Night theme would make all the young ladies stand out and have fun. (And there'll be a rule for no lady over 35 showing a bare belly no matter how many belly dancing lessons they take before the event...). I suggest Elie Saab as their designer, he does such a wonderful job for Queen Rania. But there are others as well. Or how about a Japanese theme, and choose the costume designer who did the wardrobe for the 2 films that won awards recently? Unfortunately, I forget his name, but he is famous for his delicate use of color and fabric. Someone might help me out here.

I still think that if if you are going to have a theme, go to the source for the costumes or clothes. These are the people who have been trained with the tradition of the country and culture and they will want to rise to the occasion : what better publicity than a successful Monaco Rose Ball ?
highly recommend a tribute to a great opera singer or writer that would allow great costume choices from a range of stage settings or if you want to be safe go Jane austen or another classic author. Better to chose international and compel a number of high profile people to at least take an interest/attend. At a pinch go for Marie Anttoinette and the grandeur of France at the time will sweep all before them.
P.S. (as a woman I may shop in chanel but I dream in ELIE SAAB.)
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
A Retrospective: Rose Ball - Monaco tbhrc Princely Family of Monaco 173 05-04-2011 09:15 AM
Rose Ball - March 25th, 2006 tbhrc Princely Family of Monaco 360 02-24-2008 08:52 PM
Rose Ball - March 24th, 2007 tbhrc Princely Family of Monaco 206 04-05-2007 07:22 PM
Online Monaco Party Thread to celebrate the 2006 Rose Ball teense Princely Family of Monaco 62 03-26-2006 05:50 PM
Rose Ball 2005 elektraking Princely Family of Monaco 21 03-30-2005 02:42 PM




Additional Links
Popular Tags
birth charlene chris o'neill crown prince frederik crown prince haakon crown princess letizia crown princess mary crown princess mette-marit crown princess victoria current events diana engagement fashion genealogy grand duchess maria teresa grand duke henri habsburg hohenzollern infanta sofia jewellery jordan king abdullah ii king carl xvi gustav king felipe king felipe vi king harald king juan carlos king philippe king willem-alexander luxembourg olympics ottoman pom prince albert prince albert ii prince carl philip prince constantijn prince felipe prince felix prince floris prince pieter-christiaan princess princess alexia (2005 -) princess anita princess ariane princess beatrix princess catharina-amalia princess charlene princess laurentien princess letizia princess mabel princess madeleine princess margriet princess marilene princess mary princess of asturias queen letizia queen mathilde queen maxima queen paola queen rania queen silvia queen sofia royal russia sofia hellqvist spain state visit wedding william



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:22 PM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014
Jelsoft Enterprises

Royal News Delivered to your Email!

You can get the latest Royal News right in your inbox.

unsusbcribe at anytime with one click

Close [X]