The Royal Forums Coat of Arms


Join The Royal Forums Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #121  
Old 03-21-2016, 10:18 AM
lazuli's Avatar
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Lisboa, Portugal
Posts: 1,548
La gran ausente en el Baile de la Rosa: ¿Dónde estaba la princesa Charlene?

La gran ausente en el Baile de la Rosa: ¿Dónde estaba la princesa Charlene?

Where was Princess Charlene? asks Hola... Maybe skiing says the same magazine...

Alejandra de Hannover, la hija pequeña de Carolina de Mónaco, reclama su sitio

Alejandra de Hannover, la hija pequeña de Carolina de Mónaco, reclama su sitio

Alexandra of Hanover claims her place in Monaco

She is no Sovereign Princess but just the wife of.
She has no institutional obligations except just being the wife of.
The Bal de la Rose is no institutional obligation. It is a fundraising event for the foundation of which Princess Caroline is the organizator. Therefore she is the Dame d'Honneur and her family is attending. It is just a party, no ceremony of state...

So was Princess Grace, and that never stopped her from standing along side P. Ranier all the time, supporting him and teaming up with him. She involved herself in the principality's life, she created multiple associations and events, she work hard as hell. Maybe the difference is that P. Grace seemed to genuineally love the principality and her husband and family while Charlene seems to be living a burdeon. She looks always bored And as the wife of a rulling prince YES! SHE AS OBLIGATIONS!!! Take a look at Letizia, Maxima or Mary... Why should Madame Charlene be any different????
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #122  
Old 03-21-2016, 11:04 AM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Warsaw, Poland
Posts: 5,161
I have one question: Why is Rose Ball organized during the Lent, when Catholics should refrain from festivities?
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #123  
Old 03-21-2016, 11:34 AM
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 1,906
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biri View Post
I have one question: Why is Rose Ball organized during the Lent, when Catholics should refrain from festivities?

That could be a reason she didn't go. There has been a lot of talk about how devoted she is. Maybe she has given up dancing or something for lent. Just a thought


Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Reply With Quote
  #124  
Old 03-21-2016, 12:04 PM
Fürstin Taxis's Avatar
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Garatshausen, Germany
Posts: 1,115
Eh, honestly, does it matter that she wasn't there? I think it's more important that Caroline keeps on this event with the support of Albert as the sovereign Prince. Imo in future when Gabriella is old enough to attend she slowly could be groomed to take this over with the support and connection of her cousins.
__________________

To be a legend, you've either got to be dead or excessively old!
Christopher Lee
Reply With Quote
  #125  
Old 03-21-2016, 12:16 PM
C4A's Avatar
C4A C4A is offline
Courtier
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Cape Town, South Africa
Posts: 654
Biri, you raise an excellent point! I was not even aware of that, since I'm not Catholic. But if that is the reason why P Charlene chooses not to attend this particular Ball they should say so and all this speculation/discussion will end. And she will be highly respected...


Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community
Reply With Quote
  #126  
Old 03-21-2016, 12:56 PM
Duc_et_Pair's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: City, Christmas Island
Posts: 5,939
Really, in practice almost no West-European Catholic observes Lent. This will not be different in a mondaine sea resort floating on a bubble of unimagineable luxury with the own citizens completely outnumbered by 1 to 6 foreigners, not even counting the tourists.

It is very well possible that Charlène hates fundraising balls or diners. If you want to be charitative or generous: give. But not "in return" for a fancy ball, in your arch-expensive Dior dress, nipping Moët & Pommery Brut Rosé...

Caritas is best done in all discretion. I like it when I hear an anonymous donor gave something than counting the left-over after the costs for the Salle des Étoiles, the catering and the whole rambam.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazuli View Post
She is no Sovereign Princess but just the wife of.
She has no institutional obligations except just being the wife of.
The Bal de la Rose is no institutional obligation. It is a fundraising event for the foundation of which Princess Caroline is the organizator. Therefore she is the Dame d'Honneur and her family is attending. It is just a party, no ceremony of state...

So was Princess Grace, and that never stopped her from standing along side P. Ranier all the time, supporting him and teaming up with him. She involved herself in the principality's life, she created multiple associations and events, she work hard as hell. Maybe the difference is that P. Grace seemed to genuineally love the principality and her husband and family while Charlene seems to be living a burdeon. She looks always bored And as the wife of a rulling prince YES! SHE AS OBLIGATIONS!!! Take a look at Letizia, Maxima or Mary... Why should Madame Charlene be any different????
Actually Grace was often bored as hell in the village which was Monte-Carlo. She was a cosmopolitan and saw in the Rose Ball an opportunity to be glamorous once again, posing with her Hollywood pals. It had little to do with "love for Monaco". That sugarcake fondant is already cracked by what we know about the real life of Grace. She was also an American, a Hollywood actress, she was known with the concept of rolling oneself in luxury with charity as a good excuse.

In my personal opinion Charlène is too down to earth, too grounded and too pure to fiddle around in this world of ultimate shallowness. She is a girl from Bulawayo, Zimbabwe. While others dreamt of photoshoots, she made miles and miles in chlorine water. This sort of events are the natural habitat of a Donna Beatrice. The Princess however, looks like a lady to me, no more happy than just being home with little Jacques and Gabriella. And remember: it was just a ball in a sport club building. The Maison Princier was represented. By no one else than monseigneur le Prince in very own person.
Reply With Quote
  #127  
Old 03-21-2016, 01:17 PM
Countessmeout's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: alberta, Canada
Posts: 3,473
I am sorry but it is ignorant to say western Catholics don't observe lent. Many do, giving up something for the period like caffeine or sweets. Certainly giving up all luxuries is not common, but observing lent in some way is not forgotten That is not to say for a moment I think that is why Charlene is not in attendance at the event.

I also agree with those who say this is a major event. It might not be a 'national' event like Devotee, but it is certainly like the Circus, one of the key events of the year for the royal family. It certainly gets a lot of press which when it comes to such a small country is important for their charities. Just because it is Caroline's patronage, doesn't mean it is something that the whole family shouldn't attend. Or at least senior members.
Reply With Quote
  #128  
Old 03-21-2016, 01:31 PM
Gentry
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: There and about, Spain
Posts: 51
Countessmeout, maybe it is like that in Canada. In european catholic countries it is rare to observe Lent nowadays and you shouldn't call ignorant the person who said so because she is absolutely right.

Religious people may not eat flesh on fridays but usually that's all.

I've never heard of anyone who ever gave up a dance because of Lent in my whole life. Not even very religious or old people.
Actually, in Spain plenty of other big religious festivities take place during Lent. And there is dancing, and drinking and singing, and everything you want.

About Charlene, I don't think the clue is whether the ball is a major or minor event. It's not a morning or afternoon event. It's really weird not to accompany your husband/wife to a dinner or ball that takes place a few steps away from your home.

I am sure her absence means something.
Reply With Quote
  #129  
Old 03-21-2016, 01:33 PM
Duc_et_Pair's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: City, Christmas Island
Posts: 5,939
Believe me, France is one of the most secularized countries. I have a house in Maussane-les-Alpilles, Provence, north of Marseille. In this country where laïcité is a dogma of the Republic, catholic life is very much irrelevant, I can assure you. The casino in Monte-Carlo will not have one customer less because it is Lent... When you would not know, you would never guess it is.
Reply With Quote
  #130  
Old 03-21-2016, 01:54 PM
lazuli's Avatar
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Lisboa, Portugal
Posts: 1,548
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
Really, in practice almost no West-European Catholic observes Lent. This will not be different in a mondaine sea resort floating on a bubble of unimagineable luxury with the own citizens completely outnumbered by 1 to 6 foreigners, not even counting the tourists.

It is very well possible that Charlène hates fundraising balls or diners. If you want to be charitative or generous: give. But not "in return" for a fancy ball, in your arch-expensive Dior dress, nipping Moët & Pommery Brut Rosé...

Caritas is best done in all discretion. I like it when I hear an anonymous donor gave something than counting the left-over after the costs for the Salle des Étoiles, the catering and the whole rambam.



Actually Grace was often bored as hell in the village which was Monte-Carlo. She was a cosmopolitan and saw in the Rose Ball an opportunity to be glamorous once again, posing with her Hollywood pals. It had little to do with "love for Monaco". That sugarcake fondant is already cracked by what we know about the real life of Grace. She was also an American, a Hollywood actress, she was known with the concept of rolling oneself in luxury with charity as a good excuse.

In my personal opinion Charlène is too down to earth, too grounded and too pure to fiddle around in this world of ultimate shallowness. She is a girl from Bulawayo, Zimbabwe. While others dreamt of photoshoots, she made miles and miles in chlorine water. This sort of events are the natural habitat of a Donna Beatrice. The Princess however, looks like a lady to me, no more happy than just being home with little Jacques and Gabriella. And remember: it was just a ball in a sport club building. The Maison Princier was represented. By no one else than monseigneur le Prince in very own person.
If you say so... you have the right to your opinion, of course. To me Charlene is just a lazy, careless person who does a lousy job as a princess consort. But, then again, i never liked the woman from the start... she always looked like someone who took her engagement and following marrige as the utmost boring burdeon. If she was the kind of woman who had made miles and miles in chlorine water, as you say, maybe she should have chosen another path for her life instead of marrying a sovereign prince. Futil obligations sometimes come with this territory...
Reply With Quote
  #131  
Old 03-21-2016, 02:14 PM
Duc_et_Pair's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: City, Christmas Island
Posts: 5,939
When a lady marries an aristocrat but prefers a more private life than being the belle of the ball, then this is a legitime choice. In every monarchy the head of state and the consort have partly separate agendas. Even in Spain where the duo Felipetizia seem glued to each other, they have separate arrangements indeed.
Reply With Quote
  #132  
Old 03-21-2016, 02:39 PM
Countessmeout's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: alberta, Canada
Posts: 3,473
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoia View Post
Countessmeout, maybe it is like that in Canada. In european catholic countries it is rare to observe Lent nowadays and you shouldn't call ignorant the person who said so because she is absolutely right.

Religious people may not eat flesh on fridays but usually that's all.

I've never heard of anyone who ever gave up a dance because of Lent in my whole life. Not even very religious or old people.
Actually, in Spain plenty of other big religious festivities take place during Lent. And there is dancing, and drinking and singing, and everything you want.

About Charlene, I don't think the clue is whether the ball is a major or minor event. It's not a morning or afternoon event. It's really weird not to accompany your husband/wife to a dinner or ball that takes place a few steps away from your home.

I am sure her absence means something.
Did I say dance or parties? Do you speak for every catholic person in Europe? I highly doubt it. What you choose to give up for lent is a personal choice. I have known people, including in Europe where I have lived thanks, who have given up television for instance. It is simply meant to be something that means something to you. The old tradition of it being fats and sweets (fat Tuesday) has adapted with time. So yes, to claim that all Catholics in the western world don't observe lent is ignorant.
Reply With Quote
  #133  
Old 03-21-2016, 03:12 PM
Duc_et_Pair's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: City, Christmas Island
Posts: 5,939
It would surprise me when Charlène, whom had no Catholic upbringing, would follow a Catholic tradition which is hardly observed anymore. But okay: if she does, she deserves respect for doing so. I am a Catholic myself, but as I am already sharp on good food, do not smoke, do not drink without social reason, I do little else than sticking to fish on Fridays, but that is also the custom outside Lent anyway. I doubt Lent plays any role in the non-attendance at the ball.
Reply With Quote
  #134  
Old 03-21-2016, 03:31 PM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 942
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post

It is very well possible that Charlène hates fundraising balls or diners. If you want to be charitative or generous: give. But not "in return" for a fancy ball, in your arch-expensive Dior dress, nipping Moët & Pommery Brut Rosé...

Caritas is best done in all discretion. I like it when I hear an anonymous donor gave something than counting the left-over after the costs for the Salle des Étoiles, the catering and the whole rambam.



Actually Grace was often bored as hell in the village which was Monte-Carlo. She was a cosmopolitan and saw in the Rose Ball an opportunity to be glamorous once again, posing with her Hollywood pals. It had little to do with "love for Monaco". That sugarcake fondant is already cracked by what we know about the real life of Grace. She was also an American, a Hollywood actress, she was known with the concept of rolling oneself in luxury with charity as a good excuse.
Charlene may well hate balls and galas - funny decision she made marrying a Prince if that's the case.

Who says charity is best done with discretion? Many people want to get dressed up, eat good food and have fun - if they're prepared to pay their money to do so AND also raise money for charity why shouldn't they? I find the assumption that the charity is just an excuse a bit smug and patronising. Not to mention the sniffy comment about Princess Grace being American.

The charitable organisation will take the money whether it's given anonymously or not. It doesn't buy more just because somebody didn't give it publicly.

Grace may well have been bored as hell - most people have periods in their lives where they get bored. So what did she do? She got off her bum and did stuff - charities, events, gardening, art, she carved a little cultural niche for herself towards the end of her life. She may not always have loved Monaco but she made an effort to be a part of it and they certainly loved her in the end. At least she was in the Principality for decent lengths of time, even when she was based in Paris with Caroline and Stephanie.
Reply With Quote
  #135  
Old 03-21-2016, 03:51 PM
moby's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 814
Yeah, no. I think some jobs require you to soldier on and do things and be out there whether you´d rather do them or not. Unless you´re experiencing some extreme medical condition, then you`re expected to stay at home, otherwise, you go out there and play nice.

I`m in the diplomatic field, Ambassadors and other foreign service officers attend the dullest, most boring/glamorous/sometimes irrelevant events because it`s expected. Most of these people are a provincial, introverted, humble lot but attending events is a way to make contacts that eventually help build your niche in your career that could ultimately assist in promoting your country. The Consort of Monaco is the top 2 diplomat of her country, ideally. I honestly don`t think there`s any excuse. But what do I know.
__________________
It seems to me that origination is perhaps instinct, not intellect. -Joe Strummer

Reply With Quote
  #136  
Old 03-21-2016, 05:31 PM
melina premiere's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Sassenage, France
Posts: 2,890
on the events of the prince Albert and princess Charlene tread, I never read so many comments on Charlene. she had a lot of events since last november ,, read the events where Charlene was present , of course, january and february are a dead time where there are not a lot of events apart the Sainte Devote cérémonies which are more important for the people of Monaco than the bal de la rose where they have not enough money to attend to these rich events
Last year, Charlene attended other events at the palace, she prefers to give events as wife of the prince with Albert at the palace, there were the diner before the grand Prix and during the festival of the TV. there was a gala for the first time at the palace , the princess Grace foundation awards and it was a sucess and there will be other events in the palace , she was also present to the Red Cross gala this summer.notn a lot of comments about these events


The bal de la rose is not a state event , it is an event made for the rich people , which was made by the director of the SBM to attrack the rich people in 1954, after 1975 the raised money was for the princess grace foundation which was just begining. Of course Princess Grace was president of the bal , at her death, Prince Rainier gave the princess Grace foundation to Caroline, Albert is the vice president, Caroline became president of the bal de la rose as the prince Albert. it is why Albert is present to the bal de la rose.
I prefer to see Charlene present to the Sainte Devote cérémonies, the processions of the ' vendredi saint and fe la fete Dieu, last year, she was alone at the procession while Albert was present to the Cowes regates. to the visit to the handicaped people who attend the grand prix or to the visit to the school for Young children as she did 2 weeks ago.
But it is my own opinion
Reply With Quote
  #137  
Old 03-21-2016, 05:55 PM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 942
Quote:
Originally Posted by melina premiere View Post
on the events of the prince Albert and princess Charlene tread, I never read so many comments on Charlene. she had a lot of events since last november ,, read the events where Charlene was present , of course, january and february are a dead time where there are not a lot of events apart the Sainte Devote cérémonies which are more important for the people of Monaco than the bal de la rose where they have not enough money to attend to these rich events
Last year, Charlene attended other events at the palace, she prefers to give events as wife of the prince with Albert at the palace, there were the diner before the grand Prix and during the festival of the TV. there was a gala for the first time at the palace , the princess Grace foundation awards and it was a sucess and there will be other events in the palace , she was also present to the Red Cross gala this summer.notn a lot of comments about these events


The bal de la rose is not a state event , it is an event made for the rich people , which was made by the director of the SBM to attrack the rich people in 1954, after 1975 the raised money was for the princess grace foundation which was just begining. Of course Princess Grace was president of the bal , at her death, Prince Rainier gave the princess Grace foundation to Caroline, Albert is the vice president, Caroline became president of the bal de la rose as the prince Albert. it is why Albert is present to the bal de la rose.
I prefer to see Charlene present to the Sainte Devote cérémonies, the processions of the ' vendredi saint and fe la fete Dieu, last year, she was alone at the procession while Albert was present to the Cowes regates. to the visit to the handicaped people who attend the grand prix or to the visit to the school for Young children as she did 2 weeks ago.
But it is my own opinion
We don't need to read her events thread - we know what she did. And comments were made.

How do you know what she prefers? Did she tell you?

Nobody said the Bal de la Rose was a state event. Charlene faithfully attended every year until the year before last - why not now? You were expecting her to attend this year...

The fact is she was very present in the life of the Principality right up until she had the twins, had some maternity leave and returned to duties. There has been a very evident reduction in the number of public appearances since last summer.

The visit to the school was 3 and a half weeks ago not 2.

It's weird. And that's my opinion.
Reply With Quote
  #138  
Old 03-21-2016, 07:47 PM
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 1,906
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post
I am sorry but it is ignorant to say western Catholics don't observe lent. Many do, giving up something for the period like caffeine or sweets. Certainly giving up all luxuries is not common, but observing lent in some way is not forgotten That is not to say for a moment I think that is why Charlene is not in attendance at the event.



I also agree with those who say this is a major event. It might not be a 'national' event like Devotee, but it is certainly like the Circus, one of the key events of the year for the royal family. It certainly gets a lot of press which when it comes to such a small country is important for their charities. Just because it is Caroline's patronage, doesn't mean it is something that the whole family shouldn't attend. Or at least senior members.

Lent is very much still observed in the Catholic Church but usually by giving up something you like such as sweet food or drink. Etc.


Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Reply With Quote
  #139  
Old 03-21-2016, 08:32 PM
Commoner
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: milan, Italy
Posts: 35
I find weird Princess Charlene absences in many duties with Prince Albert, as well as her absence at Pierre and Andrea's wedding.
As far as the Bal de la Rose is concerned I personally think Princess Charlene left the limelight to her sister in Law Princess Caroline "Who stepped into her mother shoes" as Prince Rainier said years ago. The reason is mainly that Princess Caroline is the Princess Grace foundation Patron and She attend the Ball along with his Brother and her Family, as well as Princess Charlene left the limelight to Princess Stefanie and her family for all it is concerned about the Circus Festival. As simple as that.
Reply With Quote
  #140  
Old 03-21-2016, 08:46 PM
sesa's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: orange, United States
Posts: 666
Truth be told, I could care less if Charlene showed up or not. I've avoided any thred about her and Pr. Albert for a long time now. If she shows, she's criticized for the dress she wore, the color she wore, her hair, all being appropriate, to flashy, to blah.
if she does not show, it's because she'd rather be with the kids, she wants a divorce, she's unhappy with her choice in life, blah blah blah.
I take it in stride. sure, she should have shown up to the ball. but it was just "another" event which she chose to support her husband. For whatever reason, no one knows. I hate the speculation.
I just came to look at the attendees and enjoy the pictures that we get, not speculate the reasons why she chose to do what she did.

Pr. Caroline: for some odd reason, I "think" I like her dress.
Charlotte: Ghastly outfit, ghastly color. and that cape thing??? ugh! hideous...
Tatiana: frumpy as always (nothing new there) (expected)
Beatrice: I am so glad that someone chose to wear a ball gown to a ball! (shocking) I just wish her hair matched the dress/jewels. (fabulous)
And as for the little one, her name is slipping my mind right now, age appropriate, but the dress confuses me with that black strip above her bust line. not very flattering. and was that the actual dress or was it an over coat and the actual "dress" underneath?? it was nice to see her there.
__________________

Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Rose Ball - March 19th, 2011 iceflower Princely Family of Monaco 98 03-28-2011 03:28 PM
Rose Ball - March 28th, 2009 iceflower Princely Family of Monaco 204 04-17-2009 03:34 PM
Rose Ball - March 29th, 2008 tbhrc Princely Family of Monaco 309 05-18-2008 10:24 PM
Rose Ball - March 25th, 2006 tbhrc Princely Family of Monaco 360 02-24-2008 08:52 PM
Rose Ball - March 24th, 2007 tbhrc Princely Family of Monaco 206 04-05-2007 08:22 PM




Popular Tags
ascot 2016 best gown best gown september 2016 best hat best outfit catherine middleton style coup d'etat courtship crown prince haakon crown princess mary crown princess mary fashion crown princess mette-marit current events december 2015 duchess of cambridge dutch state visit e-mail fashion poll grand duke jean greece haldane kate middleton king abdullah ii king felipe king felipe vi king willem-alexander member introduction monarchy new zealand nobel gala norway november 2016 october 2016 opening of parliament picture of the week prince bernhard prince charles prince harken in canada princess marie princess mary princess mary daytime fashion princess mary fashion princess mary hats princess victoria fashion queen letizia queen letizia casual outfits queen letizia daytime fashion queen letizia fashion queen letizia style queen mathilde queen mathildes outfits queen maxima queen maxima casual wear queen maxima daytime fashion queen maxima fashion queen maxima hats queen maxima style queen rania royal fashion september 2016 state visit state visit from mexico state visit to denmark succession sweden the duchess of cambridge the duchess of cambridge casual wear the duchess of cambridge daytime fashion the duchess of cambridge fashion the duchess of cambridge hats


Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:49 PM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2016
Jelsoft Enterprises