The Royal Forums Coat of Arms


Join The Royal Forums Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #101  
Old 03-20-2016, 01:28 PM
Nobility
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Leeuwarden, Netherlands
Posts: 350
ParisMatch:
Soirée cubaine pour Caroline de Monaco et les siens
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #102  
Old 03-20-2016, 01:37 PM
Duc_et_Pair's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: City, Christmas Island
Posts: 6,061
With all the focus on the ladies' wardrobes.... what about monseigneur le Prince? An overweight man should never wear a white tuxedo. Who tells the Prince that a black and well-tailored suit is the best friend to an overweight man?
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #103  
Old 03-20-2016, 01:43 PM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 979
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
With all the focus on the ladies' wardrobes.... what about monseigneur le Prince? An overweight man should never wear a white tuxedo. Who tells the Prince that a black and well-tailored suit is the best friend to an overweight man?
He's always had a bit of a love affair with white jackets - he carried them off better in his younger, slimmer days. Personally, I think they make him look like a sommelier...
Reply With Quote
  #104  
Old 03-20-2016, 01:46 PM
Duc_et_Pair's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: City, Christmas Island
Posts: 6,061
Yes, that it is white is one, but that it it looks like a formless, wrinkled, way too big confection suit in a city studded with fine tailors, is what baffles me... He indeed looks like a sommelier. I thought maybe it is because Monaco is at the Rivièra but it is only March, no summer in sight.
Reply With Quote
  #105  
Old 03-20-2016, 02:30 PM
Elly C's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Worcester, United Kingdom
Posts: 2,320
Well I really don't mean to be grumpy but I found little to admire in the outfits of the princely family. It wasn't a good year for my taste and a missed opportunity to interpret a potentially stunning theme - as soon as I saw Mr. Lagerfeld posing with them I knew why I was disappointed . However, lovely to see Alexandra in attendance. Charlene's absence is sad because the Rose Ball used to be attended by the sovereign's wife and was the first big social event of the season. Charlene appears to have decided to break this tradition now she hasn't appeared for two years. But perhaps she may start to attend again in the future. Perhaps she feels that Caroline as leading lady of this event is right to be accompanied by her brother, I share some people's thoughts about Charlotte
Reply With Quote
  #106  
Old 03-20-2016, 02:44 PM
C4A's Avatar
C4A C4A is offline
Courtier
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Cape Town, South Africa
Posts: 661
Of course, as a big fan of P Charlene, I'm very disappointed at her absence. I would like to believe there was good reason for that.

It was a stunning theme, and I agree with EllyC, that the Royal ladies disappointed with their outfits, no imagination and colourless. Beatrice's dress was a bit over the top for me. The best dressed lady on the night, as LeeZ pointed out, for me was Camilla of Two Sicilies and Bourbon. A beautiful floral dress that suited her well and the theme too.

There are no pics of P Albert dancing and many of Pierre and Beatrice on the dance floor. Does that maybe indicate that they opened the floor and he maybe left early?


Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community
Reply With Quote
  #107  
Old 03-20-2016, 03:04 PM
Gentry
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: There and about, Spain
Posts: 57
I really can't understand why these ladies let Karl Lagerfeld do what he does with them. Charlotte specially.

My guess is that she tries to put some sense of humour into her rose ball outfits, but it just doesn't work...

Caroline has done the same, sometimes. And with her allure she's usually able to pull it off. Charlotte tries to imitate her. But in her case it doesn't work. She ends up looking like a clown.

Beatrice is magnificent. I don't think she is overdressed. It a big ball event. The place to wear such a gown. It's not her fault if the rest of the familiy chooses to look that ridiculous.

She looks like a big red flower (which is appropiate for a Cuban theme), and manages no to look overdressed but to make everyone else look underdressed.
Reply With Quote
  #108  
Old 03-20-2016, 03:33 PM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 979
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoia View Post
I really can't understand why these ladies let Karl Lagerfeld do what he does with them. Charlotte specially.

My guess is that she tries to put some sense of humour into her rose ball outfits, but it just doesn't work...

Caroline has done the same, sometimes. And with her allure she's usually able to pull it off. Charlotte tries to imitate her. But in her case it doesn't work. She ends up looking like a clown.

Beatrice is magnificent. I don't think she is overdressed. It a big ball event. The place to wear such a gown. It's not her fault if the rest of the familiy chooses to look that ridiculous.

She looks like a big red flower (which is appropiate for a Cuban theme), and manages no to look overdressed but to make everyone else look underdressed.
I'm convinced Mr Lagerfeld has a bet going (with Choupette) to see who he can persuade to wear the silliest outfit.

Mostly, Caroline can pull the stranger outfits off, purely through force of personality - with the occasional miss (I can't forgive her hideous see through, fluffy nightgown outfit at the Movida themed ball). To me Charlotte, although very beautiful, doesn't have her mother's charisma, so she fails when she tries to be quirky.

I liked Beatrice's outfit and I also quite liked Tatiana's but would have liked a different hairstyle. They were both certainly thinking of Cuba as being a chance to be colourful. Beatrice definitely stood out against all the muted tones.

I think Alexandra looked lovely once she had removed the dressing gown thing.
Reply With Quote
  #109  
Old 03-20-2016, 04:05 PM
Moonmaiden23's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Los Angeles, United States
Posts: 6,606
Unless one of the children was ill there is simply no excuse for the wife of the Sovereign Prince to skip out one of the Principality's signature events. Princess Grace found a way to combine her duties as a mother and her responsibilities as Princess of Monaco and so can Charlene. I think I agree with the poster who said that last year's excuse that Gabriella was sick was likely garbage.

I have been rooting for Charlene but this is very disappointing.


The sartorial star of the evening was Beatrice...she looked stunning as usual.
__________________
"Be who God intended you to be, and you will set the world on fire" St. Catherine of Siena
Reply With Quote
  #110  
Old 03-20-2016, 05:23 PM
lazuli's Avatar
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Lisboa, Portugal
Posts: 1,555
El debut de una princesa, un vestido de alfombra roja y una ausencia destacada en el Baile de la Rosa

El debut de una princesa, un vestido de alfombra roja y una ausencia destacada en el Baile de la Rosa

The debut of a princess on the red carpet and an absence in the Bal de la Rose


Los jóvenes de la casa Grimaldi devuelven el glamour al Baile de la Rosa - Fotos de famosos: las mejores galerías - Revista Semana

Los jóvenes de la casa Grimaldi devuelven el glamour al Baile de la Rosa

The youngsters of the House of Grimaldi give le Bal de la Rose all its glamour back
Reply With Quote
  #111  
Old 03-20-2016, 05:36 PM
tdarlene's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Lagos, Portugal
Posts: 657
I think all the ladies looked lovely. They wore what they felt like and not a costume gown just because it is a themed ball. This discussion about the theme is very much like the MET Gala, there is a theme and very few dresses the part, even the person who organises it. As for Princess Charlene, she is the wife of the Prince Souverain, officially there is no role for the Prince's wife. Princess Grace did all the things she did, and in a certain way Pss Caroline followed, because Prince Rainier and Monaco needed the money and notoriety to keep it's independence. Pss Charlene definitely ads more fuel to the fire by not appearing along side her husband and his family. But she is her own personna. She might just choose not to go if she doesn't feel comfortable going. IMO she doesn't feel comfortable trying to fulfil or follow a role that shes finding hard to relate, she might suffer from anxiety or have some mild depression from the outside pressure that criticizes her all the time for doing or not doing something. Shes the first to admit she has few friend in Monaco and has it hard, maybe shes not a people's people and can't stand some of the 'falseness' of certain high society. If Prince Albert is fine with her not attending certain events, what is important is that he is supportive of her choices and opinion in private. If she is happy being with her children and working along side children with her Foundation it is her right as a woman, as a person and not just because she's married to someone.
Reply With Quote
  #112  
Old 03-20-2016, 05:46 PM
AdmirerUS's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 4,586
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florestane View Post
I'm convinced Mr Lagerfeld has a bet going (with Choupette) to see who he can persuade to wear the silliest outfit.
In which case, some of us are voting for Mr. Lagerfeld. Year after year.
Reply With Quote
  #113  
Old 03-20-2016, 09:52 PM
melina premiere's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Sassenage, France
Posts: 2,940
Princess Charlene was not present to the bal de la rose but Caroline and her family was not present to the concert which celabrated the 10 years of the reign of prince Albert, princesses Caroline, , Stéphanie and their children are no more present to the Red Cross gala, they were not present to the princess Grace foundation at the palace in september 2015.


In december, Charlene was present at walk for the climat, she gave gifts , alone or with Albert to the children in the nurseris, in the homes for the old persons or handicaped persons.
Since the beginning of the year, we saw Charlene meeting the papa with Albert, she was attending the fests of the Saint Devote, she visited the refugees at Vintimille with Albert and she visited a school 2 weeks ago. She attended the events about the Saint Devote tournament
Reply With Quote
  #114  
Old 03-20-2016, 10:09 PM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: New Orleans, United States
Posts: 1,457
Quote:
Originally Posted by melina premiere View Post
Princess Charlene was not present to the bal de la rose but Caroline and her family was not present to the concert which celabrated the 10 years of the reign of prince Albert, princesses Caroline, , Stéphanie and their children are no more present to the Red Cross gala, they were not present to the princess Grace foundation at the palace in september 2015.


In december, Charlene was present at walk for the climat, she gave gifts , alone or with Albert to the children in the nurseris, in the homes for the old persons or handicaped persons.
Since the beginning of the year, we saw Charlene meeting the papa with Albert, she was attending the fests of the Saint Devote, she visited the refugees at Vintimille with Albert and she visited a school 2 weeks ago. She attended the events about the Saint Devote tournament

So, given that, she couldn't attend a signature event for the principality?

This is Monaco, and these events are the big draws. Why not have your royal family whole heartedly support them - all of two of them a year?
Reply With Quote
  #115  
Old 03-21-2016, 12:52 AM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 979
Quote:
Originally Posted by melina premiere View Post
Princess Charlene was not present to the bal de la rose but Caroline and her family was not present to the concert which celabrated the 10 years of the reign of prince Albert, princesses Caroline, , Stéphanie and their children are no more present to the Red Cross gala, they were not present to the princess Grace foundation at the palace in september 2015.


In december, Charlene was present at walk for the climat, she gave gifts , alone or with Albert to the children in the nurseris, in the homes for the old persons or handicaped persons.
Since the beginning of the year, we saw Charlene meeting the papa with Albert, she was attending the fests of the Saint Devote, she visited the refugees at Vintimille with Albert and she visited a school 2 weeks ago. She attended the events about the Saint Devote tournament
It isn't actually a competition... "You didn't come to this so I'm not coming to that"!

Caroline and her family were there in total to stand in the square in front of the palace on an extremely hot day and listen to Charlene talking about the "prince de mon coeur" so they acknowledged Albert's 10 years.

It certainly seems that Stephanie and Caroline have decided to leave the Red Cross Gala to Albert and Charlene - let's hope she turns up because it certainly won't be nearly as interesting if we only have Albert in his sommelier's outfit to look at...

Also, Albert and his family are the future of the Principality, not his sisters - their involvement is nice but they're the "sideshow" now like Antoinette and her family were.

You've listed 5 things Charlene's done in nearly 3 months - as if that's an impressive list of events to have attended. It's not very many, really.

But... as I've said before, it's clearly an arrangement that suits her and Albert. It's odd to me (and others) so not surprising comments are being made.

Hope to see her out and about soon.

What did you think of the Rose Ball, by the way?
Reply With Quote
  #116  
Old 03-21-2016, 04:20 AM
Duc_et_Pair's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: City, Christmas Island
Posts: 6,061
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonmaiden23 View Post
Unless one of the children was ill there is simply no excuse for the wife of the Sovereign Prince to skip out one of the Principality's signature events. [...]
With all respect, a fundraising ball is hardly a "signature event"... The only real signature events are -nationally- the Fête Nationale and Sainte-Devote, and -internationally- the Grand Prix Formule 1 in the streets of Monte-Carlo.
Reply With Quote
  #117  
Old 03-21-2016, 06:51 AM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 1,360
She didn't turn up for the circus either this year which outside of last year was a first. It's like she's avoiding Albert's family for some reason these days. I hope she goes to the tennis and the Grand Prix gala as she missed them last year. I know she was on maternity leave but as she was doing certain things last year I don't know why these events were missed. It's terrible that we are even having this discussion. There are certain events in Monaco that we should be guaranteed to see her at but I'm never sure if she will turn up anymore and that didn't used to be the case prior to her having the twins. She gets plenty of time with them so there is no excuse IMO.
Reply With Quote
  #118  
Old 03-21-2016, 07:56 AM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 979
Quote:
Originally Posted by sophie25 View Post
She didn't turn up for the circus either this year which outside of last year was a first. It's like she's avoiding Albert's family for some reason these days. I hope she goes to the tennis and the Grand Prix gala as she missed them last year. I know she was on maternity leave but as she was doing certain things last year I don't know why these events were missed. It's terrible that we are even having this discussion. There are certain events in Monaco that we should be guaranteed to see her at but I'm never sure if she will turn up anymore and that didn't used to be the case prior to her having the twins. She gets plenty of time with them so there is no excuse IMO.
Apparently (sorry - can't remember where I read this) she has a problem with the animals performing (like many people do) so prefers to avoid the circus.

There may be a rift with Albert's family (they are a speciality of the Grimaldi family!) but there have been photos where all seems well - Gabriella toddling between Caroline and Charlene, Caroline and Charlene chatting at some unveiling thing, Charlotte and Charlene having a giggle off the balcony. Who knows?
It's odd.
Reply With Quote
  #119  
Old 03-21-2016, 09:05 AM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 764
Personally, I find nothing odd. Of course if one goes looking for trouble, s/he will find it. It's all about an individual's perception.

On that note, one can choose to be negative, or not.

Btw, thanks to the person(s) whom posted the live video of the Ball, and Princess Alexandra dancing, as well as the Casiraghi Family arriving. Photos don't do it justice, but video sure does, like night & day!
__________________
"only as high as I reach can I grow, only as far as I seek can I go, only as deep as I look can I see, only as much as I dream can I be"
Reply With Quote
  #120  
Old 03-21-2016, 09:59 AM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 979
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadine View Post
Personally, I find nothing odd. Of course if one goes looking for trouble, s/he will find it. It's all about an individual's perception.

On that note, one can choose to be negative, or not.

Btw, thanks to the person(s) whom posted the live video of the Ball, and Princess Alexandra dancing, as well as the Casiraghi Family arriving. Photos don't do it justice, but video sure does, like night & day!
I'm not being negative nor am I "looking for trouble" - I find it odd that Charlene has gone from attending many events to hardly any. I think this as I have followed this family for over 40 years and this seems to be a new model of operating. Some agree with me, some don't. I think, as I have now said repeatedly, that she and Albert have a set up that suits them.

I don't actually think there's a rift as such - I'll stick my neck out and say that I don't think Charlene and Caroline or Charlene and Stephanie have an awful lot in common but a rift, no. As I said, there have been events over the past year where Charlene has been pictured interacting quite happily with family members.
__________________

Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Rose Ball - March 19th, 2011 iceflower Princely Family of Monaco 98 03-28-2011 03:28 PM
Rose Ball - March 28th, 2009 iceflower Princely Family of Monaco 204 04-17-2009 03:34 PM
Rose Ball - March 29th, 2008 tbhrc Princely Family of Monaco 309 05-18-2008 10:24 PM
Rose Ball - March 25th, 2006 tbhrc Princely Family of Monaco 360 02-24-2008 08:52 PM
Rose Ball - March 24th, 2007 tbhrc Princely Family of Monaco 206 04-05-2007 08:22 PM




Popular Tags
ascot 2016 best gown best gown september 2016 best hat best outfit catherine middleton style coup d'etat crown princess mary crown princess mary fashion current events duchess of cambridge dutch state visit e-mail fashion poll grahamm greece infanta elena fashion kate middleton king abdulah ii king abdullah ii king abdullah ii current events king willem-alexander member introduction monarchy movies new zealand norway november 2016 october 2016 opening of parliament picture of the week prince alexander of sweden prince charles princess charlene fashion princess marie princess mary princess mary fashion princess mary hats queen anne-marie queen letizia queen letizia casual outfits queen letizia daytime fashion queen letizia fashion queen mathilde queen maxima queen maxima casual wear queen maxima daytime fashion queen maxima fashion queen maxima gowns queen maxima hats queen maxima style queen rania queen rania casual outfit queen rania daytime fashion queen rania eveningwear queen rania fashion rohan royal september 2016 state visit state visit to denmark stockholm succession sweden the duchess of cambridge the duchess of cambridge casual wear the duchess of cambridge daytime fashion the duchess of cambridge fashion the duchess of cambridge hats tiara


Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:19 AM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2017
Jelsoft Enterprises