The Royal Forums Coat of Arms


Join The Royal Forums Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #41  
Old 03-19-2016, 08:13 PM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 938
The theme of the ball looks fun, I like the decor. Mixed feelings about the clothes - Caroline looks good, as does Beatrice in an OTT way, Tatiana is herself (which she does very well), Alexandra is turning into a pretty young woman and Charlotte looks a mess from the neck down.

Stephanie hasn't attended for years and her children have never attended so not surprised there.

As for Charlene I can't be disappointed when I didn't think she would show up. She's very busy, you see, single handedly bringing up the twins, running her one issue foundation and not learning the language of the country of which she is the Sovereign Consort. Also Monaco is very small so there's only so much she can do - it's a continual source of amazement that Grace and then Caroline were able to find so many engagements to attend when they had "first lady"duties!

Anyway, with or without her it looks like they were having fun, great to see Alexandra there and hope they raised lots of money for good causes.
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 03-19-2016, 08:29 PM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 1,324
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florestane View Post
The theme of the ball looks fun, I like the decor. Mixed feelings about the clothes - Caroline looks good, as does Beatrice in an OTT way, Tatiana is herself (which she does very well), Alexandra is turning into a pretty young woman and Charlotte looks a mess from the neck down.

Stephanie hasn't attended for years and her children have never attended so not surprised there.

As for Charlene I can't be disappointed when I didn't think she would show up. She's very busy, you see, single handedly bringing up the twins, running her one issue foundation and not learning the language of the country of which she is the Sovereign Consort. Also Monaco is very small so there's only so much she can do - it's a continual source of amazement that Grace and then Caroline were able to find so many engagements to attend when they had "first lady"duties!

Anyway, with or without her it looks like they were having fun, great to see Alexandra there and hope they raised lots of money for good causes.
I like Charlene but this post is correct on so many levels. As Albert's wife we should expect to see her at certain events without question. The next one in that category will be the presentation of the trophy at the final of the Monte Carlo Masters tennis tournament. We shouldn't need to wonder if she will be there but who knows?
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 03-19-2016, 08:37 PM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 938
Quote:
Originally Posted by sophie25 View Post
I like Charlene but this post is correct on so many levels. As Albert's wife we should expect to see her at certain events without question. The next one in that category will be the presentation of the trophy at the final of the Monte Carlo Masters tennis tournament. We shouldn't need to wonder if she will be there but who knows?
I don't dislike Charlene (contrary to what some people think) but I find it hard to fathom anything about her, she's a real enigma to me.

I suspect it suits her and Albert but it gives a weird message to onlookers and the local population must find it perplexing. Given that Albert and Charlene seem aware of public relations with the interviews and photo ops they give, you would think they would be a little more savvy. They wouldn't have to keep giving explanations if she just pitched up a bit more...

Anyway, whatever she does most of the time I personally think there are certain events she should turn up for - and this is one of them.
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 03-19-2016, 08:41 PM
titiromi's Avatar
Nobility
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Paris & Salon-De-Provence, France
Posts: 346
If before, I was unsure, I think now it's pretty clear that Charlene is avoiding Caroline. Something must have happened ...

I adore Beatrice's dress. she was "wow" as was her husband.
I think Charlotte should stop wearing Chanel, this dress (is it a dress?) must be very expensive but is just horrendous.
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 03-19-2016, 08:48 PM
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Spring Hill, United States
Posts: 2,822
Beatrice dress was lovely, the rest looked like they found clothes in a garbage can. Tatiana looked like an old woman who was hit by a bus shortly before. Charlene may be ill. People get ill. This is not the most important thing on earth.
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 03-19-2016, 08:49 PM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 938
Quote:
Originally Posted by titiromi View Post
If before, I was unsure, I think now it's pretty clear that Charlene is avoiding Caroline. Something must have happened ...
Maybe so - I don't think they have much in common really - but they've been pictured together at events over the last year where they have been getting along just fine. Who knows? Definitely a bit odd though.
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 03-19-2016, 09:05 PM
maria-olivia's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Brussels, Belgium
Posts: 3,691
Princess Caroline and family attend the Rose Ball
Princess Charlène attends the red Cross Ball.
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 03-19-2016, 09:07 PM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 938
Quote:
Originally Posted by COUNTESS View Post
Beatrice dress was lovely, the rest looked like they found clothes in a garbage can. Tatiana looked like an old woman who was hit by a bus shortly before. Charlene may be ill. People get ill. This is not the most important thing on earth.
High end garbage cans in your neck of the woods...

Charlene may well be ill - unfortunate that it means she misses what is a key event in Monaco for the second year running.
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 03-19-2016, 09:08 PM
Marty91charmed's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Near Verona and Venice, Italy
Posts: 5,684
Quote:
Originally Posted by maria-olivia View Post
Princess Caroline and family attend the Rose Ball
Princess Charlène attends the red Cross Ball.
No really. Charlene has attended all the Rose Balls except this one and the last year one. Usually, it is Caroline who attends thr Rose Ball, while her sister Stephanie is more prone to attend the Red Cross Ball.
__________________
"Yet, walking free upon her own estate
Still,in her solitude, she is the Queen".
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 03-19-2016, 09:11 PM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 938
Quote:
Originally Posted by maria-olivia View Post
Princess Caroline and family attend the Rose Ball
Princess Charlène attends the red Cross Ball.
Princess Charlene attended the Rose Ball until last year.

Stephanie also used to attend - maybe Charlene has decided to be like her.

I don't think it's a rule that Caroline and family attend one and Charlene attends the other. Caroline sometimes goes to the Red Cross...
Reply With Quote
  #51  
Old 03-19-2016, 09:11 PM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 750
No surprise Charlene wasn't there. The Rose Ball has always been Caroline's event (which her mother started in 1954 and Caroline continues in her honor). Charlene attended when she was Albert's girlfriend & fiancée, but stopped when she became First Lady of Monaco, and now hosts The Red Cross Ball exclusively as such, as it should be. Neither Caroline nor her children attend the Red Cross Ball in July; likewise Charlene doesn't attend the Rose Ball. Each has their own individual event.

That said, I am delighted to see Princess Alexandra make her official debut at the Rose Ball! She's 16 years old and imho it's her debutante debut coming out ball. Brings back memories of when Charlotte first appeared at the Rose Ball in 2006 (10 years ago). All Alexandra needs is her youth, she's delightful, a girl/woman.

And what can I say about Beatrice, she's absolutely MAGNIFICENT!!!! Ever since her wedding to Pierre last summer she's brought such glamour, haute couture, elegance, charm, effervescence to the Grimaldi Family. She honestly reminds me of a swan. Or better yet Leslie Caron as Gigi. She's a gem, a rare diamond/emerald, thank you Pierre, thank you.

And Princess Caroline is also shining like a pearl tonight. from the inside out, a blue blood born & bred.

I was only disappointed with Tatiana (sigh) and Charlotte (who looks enceinte). Too bad she didn't bring Lamberto.
__________________
"only as high as I reach can I grow, only as far as I seek can I go, only as deep as I look can I see, only as much as I dream can I be"
Reply With Quote
  #52  
Old 03-19-2016, 09:16 PM
Marty91charmed's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Near Verona and Venice, Italy
Posts: 5,684
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadine View Post
No surprise Charlene wasn't there. The Rose Ball has always been Caroline's event (which her mother started in 1954 and Caroline continues in her honor). Charlene attended when she was Albert's girlfriend & fiancée, but stopped when she became First Lady of Monaco, and now hosts The Red Cross Ball exclusively as such, as it should be. Neither Caroline nor her children attend the Red Cross Ball in July; likewise Charlene doesn't attend the Rose Ball. Each has their own individual event.
Actually, Charlene has never missed a Rose Ball after her wedding; she skipped both last year as well as the current ball though
__________________
"Yet, walking free upon her own estate
Still,in her solitude, she is the Queen".
Reply With Quote
  #53  
Old 03-19-2016, 09:25 PM
Duc_et_Pair's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: City, Christmas Island
Posts: 5,923
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazuli View Post
[....]
P. Charlene: when will that woman learn that she's a souvereign princess and that she has institutional obligations???
She is no Sovereign Princess but just the wife of.
She has no institutional obligations except just being the wife of.
The Bal de la Rose is no institutional obligation. It is a fundraising event for the foundation of which Princess Caroline is the organizator. Therefore she is the Dame d'Honneur and her family is attending. It is just a party, no ceremony of state...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty91charmed View Post
Of course, there will be some kind of excuse for her not to be there, but she is the princess of Monaco and as the first lady of that tiny country, she has the duty to be there. This a big occasion, not a small, meaningless affair. I'm glad that someone agrees with me on this.
In essence it IS a small and meaningless affair. It is a bal. A dance event. And rich foreigners have to pay fees to attend, the revenues go to a charity. No more, no less. Every day there is a fundraising event somewhere in London. The Queen never attends. Boohoo to her too, then?

The big affairs are the Fête Nationale, Sainte-Devote, Christmas, the Laureus Awards, the Grand Prix de Monaco, the Diamond League, international congresses and symposia in Monte-Carlo, not an evening of dance and drinking champagne in a club. Come on...
Reply With Quote
  #54  
Old 03-19-2016, 09:25 PM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 938
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty91charmed View Post
Actually, Charlene has never missed a Rose Ball after her wedding; she skipped both last year as well as the current ball though
It's also not true that Caroline never attends the Red Cross Gala.
Reply With Quote
  #55  
Old 03-19-2016, 09:26 PM
fandesacs2003's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Athens, Greece
Posts: 3,865
My comments
Charlene: Unacceptable absence, unless something really serious happened. If I remember well last year she was not there either.
Caroline. OK nice
Béatrice: Gorgeous, stunning
Tatiana: very nice also
Alexandra: nice dress, except that black belt. And I do not understand this pregnancy style for such a young girl
Charlotte: I'm speechless. I could not imagine that could exist such an ugly outfit. Shapeless, cheep looking, not suitable for her body, needs ironing and showing her like with a baby bump. Awful. From all the expensive gowns in the world she could choose, with her beauty and her money, she choose this. OMG
Reply With Quote
  #56  
Old 03-19-2016, 09:31 PM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 938
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
She is no Sovereign Princess but just the wife of.
She has no institutional obligations except just being the wife of.
The Bal de la Rose is no institutional obligation. It is a fundraising event for the foundation of which Princess Caroline is the organizator. Therefore she is the Dame d'Honneur and her family is attending. It is just a party, no ceremony of state...
And yet all the other "wives of" in various royal families manage to turn up to the parties that their spouses attend. As did Princess Grace in her day.

I'm curious as to what Charlene considers her duties to be.

And yes, I know the Grimaldis aren't "royal"so you don't need to point it out to me...
Reply With Quote
  #57  
Old 03-19-2016, 09:32 PM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Bay Area, United States
Posts: 913
Fun event. I wish Princess Stephanie and her family would attend this gala someday (or in Stephanie’s case, reappear).

Princess Caroline and Beatrice Borromeo were best dressed for me despite quibbles: loose top on Caroline (yes, I know that's the design... I still prefer a fitted top) and too much ruffles on Beatrice. Everyone else was eccentric or stuck to their usual style.
The Duchess of Castro's floral dress fit the Cuban theme nicely.

Does the Princely family have an agenda/calendar page? I don't follow Monaco's royals much. Maybe Princess Charlene was not expected this year?
Reply With Quote
  #58  
Old 03-19-2016, 09:43 PM
Duc_et_Pair's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: City, Christmas Island
Posts: 5,923
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florestane View Post
And yet all the other "wives of" in various royal families manage to turn up to the parties that their spouses attend. As did Princess Grace in her day.

I'm curious as to what Charlene considers her duties to be.

And yes, I know the Grimaldis aren't "royal"so you don't need to point it out to me...
It was logical that Princess Grace did attend as the revenues went to the foundation which was set up in her honour and was/is bearing her very own name.

The event is organized by the Fondation Princesse Grace and the president is HRH The Princess of Hannover, whom indeed was the charming host as always.
Reply With Quote
  #59  
Old 03-19-2016, 09:51 PM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 938
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
It was logical that Princess Grace did attend as the revenues went to the foundation which was set up in her honour and was/is bearing her very own name.

The event is organized by the Fondation Princesse Grace and the president is HRH The Princess of Hannover, whom indeed was the charming host as always.
Well, as the Rose Ball started in 1954 and the Princess Grace Foundation some 10 years later I don't think that's the only reason Grace went.

If it's only Caroline's thing I don't know why Albert bothers to show up then, and yet there he is, year in, year out.

Still find it odd that Charlene seems to put in about one public appearance every 3 months or so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
In essence it IS a small and meaningless affair. It is a bal. A dance event. And rich foreigners have to pay fees to attend, the revenues go to a charity. No more, no less. Every day there is a fundraising event somewhere in London. The Queen never attends. Boohoo to her too, then?

The big affairs are the Fête Nationale, Sainte-Devote, Christmas, the Laureus Awards, the Grand Prix de Monaco, the Diamond League, international congresses and symposia in Monte-Carlo, not an evening of dance and drinking champagne in a club. Come on...
Raising money for charity is not meaningless.

It's not small in Monaco - it IS a highlight of the social calendar.

Your comparison of the Queen not attending the many fundraising events in London with the Prince's Consort not turning up to one of the big fundraising events of the year in Monaco is ridiculous and not the same at all. Not least because she's pushing 90 and does more than a 38 year old.

That must be where Charlene has been these last few weeks - all those deeply meaningful and highly important conferences and symposia.
Reply With Quote
  #60  
Old 03-19-2016, 10:51 PM
GömdNatt's Avatar
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Cincinnati, United States
Posts: 1,100
wow, I had no idea people were so....whatever about Charlene.

Interesting.

As for the gowns, I only like Beatrice's, but the train is a bit much for my taste. But I'm just a nobody.
__________________

__________________
My facebook fan page: https://www.facebook.com/SignyCullen
Author of fiction novel Farther Side of Away, and non-fiction book about royalty If You're a Princess, Where's Your Crown?
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Rose Ball - March 19th, 2011 iceflower Princely Family of Monaco 98 03-28-2011 03:28 PM
Rose Ball - March 28th, 2009 iceflower Princely Family of Monaco 204 04-17-2009 03:34 PM
Rose Ball - March 29th, 2008 tbhrc Princely Family of Monaco 309 05-18-2008 10:24 PM
Rose Ball - March 25th, 2006 tbhrc Princely Family of Monaco 360 02-24-2008 08:52 PM
Rose Ball - March 24th, 2007 tbhrc Princely Family of Monaco 206 04-05-2007 08:22 PM




Popular Tags
ascot 2016 best gown best gown september 2016 best hat best outfit catherine middleton style coup d'etat crown prince haakon crown princess mary crown princess mary fashion crown princess mette-marit current events duchess of cambridge dutch state visit e-mail fashion poll grand duke jean greece haakon kate middleton king abdullah ii king felipe king felipe vi king willem-alexander madeleine member introduction monarchy new zealand nobel gala norway november 2016 october 2016 opening of parliament picture of the week prince bernhard prince charles princess madeleine princess marie princess mary princess mary daytime fashion princess mary fashion princess mary hats princess stéphanie's daytime outfits queen elizabeth ii queen letizia queen letizia casual outfits queen letizia daytime fashion queen letizia fashion queen letizia style queen mathilde queen mathildes outfits queen maxima queen maxima casual wear queen maxima daytime fashion queen maxima fashion queen maxima hats queen maxima style queen rania royal fashion september 2016 sheikh hamdan bin mohammed state visit state visit to denmark succession sweden the duchess of cambridge the duchess of cambridge casual wear the duchess of cambridge daytime fashion the duchess of cambridge fashion the duchess of cambridge hats


Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:04 PM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2016
Jelsoft Enterprises