The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 03-19-2016, 08:13 PM
Courtier

The theme of the ball looks fun, I like the decor. Mixed feelings about the clothes - Caroline looks good, as does Beatrice in an OTT way, Tatiana is herself (which she does very well), Alexandra is turning into a pretty young woman and Charlotte looks a mess from the neck down.

Stephanie hasn't attended for years and her children have never attended so not surprised there.

As for Charlene I can't be disappointed when I didn't think she would show up. She's very busy, you see, single handedly bringing up the twins, running her one issue foundation and not learning the language of the country of which she is the Sovereign Consort. Also Monaco is very small so there's only so much she can do - it's a continual source of amazement that Grace and then Caroline were able to find so many engagements to attend when they had "first lady"duties!

Anyway, with or without her it looks like they were having fun, great to see Alexandra there and hope they raised lots of money for good causes.

Old 03-19-2016, 08:29 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florestane View Post
The theme of the ball looks fun, I like the decor. Mixed feelings about the clothes - Caroline looks good, as does Beatrice in an OTT way, Tatiana is herself (which she does very well), Alexandra is turning into a pretty young woman and Charlotte looks a mess from the neck down.

Stephanie hasn't attended for years and her children have never attended so not surprised there.

As for Charlene I can't be disappointed when I didn't think she would show up. She's very busy, you see, single handedly bringing up the twins, running her one issue foundation and not learning the language of the country of which she is the Sovereign Consort. Also Monaco is very small so there's only so much she can do - it's a continual source of amazement that Grace and then Caroline were able to find so many engagements to attend when they had "first lady"duties!

Anyway, with or without her it looks like they were having fun, great to see Alexandra there and hope they raised lots of money for good causes.
I like Charlene but this post is correct on so many levels. As Albert's wife we should expect to see her at certain events without question. The next one in that category will be the presentation of the trophy at the final of the Monte Carlo Masters tennis tournament. We shouldn't need to wonder if she will be there but who knows?

Old 03-19-2016, 08:37 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by sophie25 View Post
I like Charlene but this post is correct on so many levels. As Albert's wife we should expect to see her at certain events without question. The next one in that category will be the presentation of the trophy at the final of the Monte Carlo Masters tennis tournament. We shouldn't need to wonder if she will be there but who knows?
I don't dislike Charlene (contrary to what some people think) but I find it hard to fathom anything about her, she's a real enigma to me.

I suspect it suits her and Albert but it gives a weird message to onlookers and the local population must find it perplexing. Given that Albert and Charlene seem aware of public relations with the interviews and photo ops they give, you would think they would be a little more savvy. They wouldn't have to keep giving explanations if she just pitched up a bit more...

Anyway, whatever she does most of the time I personally think there are certain events she should turn up for - and this is one of them.
Old 03-19-2016, 08:41 PM
Nobility

If before, I was unsure, I think now it's pretty clear that Charlene is avoiding Caroline. Something must have happened ...

I adore Beatrice's dress. she was "wow" as was her husband.
I think Charlotte should stop wearing Chanel, this dress (is it a dress?) must be very expensive but is just horrendous.
Old 03-19-2016, 08:48 PM
Heir Presumptive

Beatrice dress was lovely, the rest looked like they found clothes in a garbage can. Tatiana looked like an old woman who was hit by a bus shortly before. Charlene may be ill. People get ill. This is not the most important thing on earth.
Old 03-19-2016, 08:49 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by titiromi View Post
If before, I was unsure, I think now it's pretty clear that Charlene is avoiding Caroline. Something must have happened ...
Maybe so - I don't think they have much in common really - but they've been pictured together at events over the last year where they have been getting along just fine. Who knows? Definitely a bit odd though.
Old 03-19-2016, 09:05 PM
Heir Apparent

Princess Caroline and family attend the Rose Ball
Princess Charlène attends the red Cross Ball.
Old 03-19-2016, 09:07 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by COUNTESS View Post
Beatrice dress was lovely, the rest looked like they found clothes in a garbage can. Tatiana looked like an old woman who was hit by a bus shortly before. Charlene may be ill. People get ill. This is not the most important thing on earth.
High end garbage cans in your neck of the woods...

Charlene may well be ill - unfortunate that it means she misses what is a key event in Monaco for the second year running.
Old 03-19-2016, 09:08 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by maria-olivia View Post
No really. Charlene has attended all the Rose Balls except this one and the last year one. Usually, it is Caroline who attends thr Rose Ball, while her sister Stephanie is more prone to attend the Red Cross Ball.
Old 03-19-2016, 09:11 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by maria-olivia View Post
Princess Charlene attended the Rose Ball until last year.

Stephanie also used to attend - maybe Charlene has decided to be like her.

I don't think it's a rule that Caroline and family attend one and Charlene attends the other. Caroline sometimes goes to the Red Cross...
Old 03-19-2016, 09:11 PM
Courtier

No surprise Charlene wasn't there. The Rose Ball has always been Caroline's event (which her mother started in 1954 and Caroline continues in her honor). Charlene attended when she was Albert's girlfriend & fiancée, but stopped when she became First Lady of Monaco, and now hosts The Red Cross Ball exclusively as such, as it should be. Neither Caroline nor her children attend the Red Cross Ball in July; likewise Charlene doesn't attend the Rose Ball. Each has their own individual event.

That said, I am delighted to see Princess Alexandra make her official debut at the Rose Ball! She's 16 years old and imho it's her debutante debut coming out ball. Brings back memories of when Charlotte first appeared at the Rose Ball in 2006 (10 years ago). All Alexandra needs is her youth, she's delightful, a girl/woman.

And what can I say about Beatrice, she's absolutely MAGNIFICENT!!!! Ever since her wedding to Pierre last summer she's brought such glamour, haute couture, elegance, charm, effervescence to the Grimaldi Family. She honestly reminds me of a swan. Or better yet Leslie Caron as Gigi. She's a gem, a rare diamond/emerald, thank you Pierre, thank you.

And Princess Caroline is also shining like a pearl tonight. from the inside out, a blue blood born & bred.

I was only disappointed with Tatiana (sigh) and Charlotte (who looks enceinte). Too bad she didn't bring Lamberto.
Old 03-19-2016, 09:16 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadine View Post
No surprise Charlene wasn't there. The Rose Ball has always been Caroline's event (which her mother started in 1954 and Caroline continues in her honor). Charlene attended when she was Albert's girlfriend & fiancée, but stopped when she became First Lady of Monaco, and now hosts The Red Cross Ball exclusively as such, as it should be. Neither Caroline nor her children attend the Red Cross Ball in July; likewise Charlene doesn't attend the Rose Ball. Each has their own individual event.
Actually, Charlene has never missed a Rose Ball after her wedding; she skipped both last year as well as the current ball though
Old 03-19-2016, 09:25 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazuli View Post
[....]
P. Charlene: when will that woman learn that she's a souvereign princess and that she has institutional obligations???
She is no Sovereign Princess but just the wife of.
She has no institutional obligations except just being the wife of.
The Bal de la Rose is no institutional obligation. It is a fundraising event for the foundation of which Princess Caroline is the organizator. Therefore she is the Dame d'Honneur and her family is attending. It is just a party, no ceremony of state...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty91charmed View Post
Of course, there will be some kind of excuse for her not to be there, but she is the princess of Monaco and as the first lady of that tiny country, she has the duty to be there. This a big occasion, not a small, meaningless affair. I'm glad that someone agrees with me on this.
In essence it IS a small and meaningless affair. It is a bal. A dance event. And rich foreigners have to pay fees to attend, the revenues go to a charity. No more, no less. Every day there is a fundraising event somewhere in London. The Queen never attends. Boohoo to her too, then?

The big affairs are the Fête Nationale, Sainte-Devote, Christmas, the Laureus Awards, the Grand Prix de Monaco, the Diamond League, international congresses and symposia in Monte-Carlo, not an evening of dance and drinking champagne in a club. Come on...
Old 03-19-2016, 09:25 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty91charmed View Post
Actually, Charlene has never missed a Rose Ball after her wedding; she skipped both last year as well as the current ball though
It's also not true that Caroline never attends the Red Cross Gala.
Old 03-19-2016, 09:26 PM
Heir Apparent

My comments
Charlene: Unacceptable absence, unless something really serious happened. If I remember well last year she was not there either.
Caroline. OK nice
Béatrice: Gorgeous, stunning
Tatiana: very nice also
Alexandra: nice dress, except that black belt. And I do not understand this pregnancy style for such a young girl
Charlotte: I'm speechless. I could not imagine that could exist such an ugly outfit. Shapeless, cheep looking, not suitable for her body, needs ironing and showing her like with a baby bump. Awful. From all the expensive gowns in the world she could choose, with her beauty and her money, she choose this. OMG
Old 03-19-2016, 09:31 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
She is no Sovereign Princess but just the wife of.
She has no institutional obligations except just being the wife of.
The Bal de la Rose is no institutional obligation. It is a fundraising event for the foundation of which Princess Caroline is the organizator. Therefore she is the Dame d'Honneur and her family is attending. It is just a party, no ceremony of state...
And yet all the other "wives of" in various royal families manage to turn up to the parties that their spouses attend. As did Princess Grace in her day.

I'm curious as to what Charlene considers her duties to be.

And yes, I know the Grimaldis aren't "royal"so you don't need to point it out to me...
Old 03-19-2016, 09:32 PM
Courtier

Fun event. I wish Princess Stephanie and her family would attend this gala someday (or in Stephanie’s case, reappear).

Princess Caroline and Beatrice Borromeo were best dressed for me despite quibbles: loose top on Caroline (yes, I know that's the design... I still prefer a fitted top) and too much ruffles on Beatrice. Everyone else was eccentric or stuck to their usual style.
The Duchess of Castro's floral dress fit the Cuban theme nicely.

Does the Princely family have an agenda/calendar page? I don't follow Monaco's royals much. Maybe Princess Charlene was not expected this year?
Old 03-19-2016, 09:43 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florestane View Post
And yet all the other "wives of" in various royal families manage to turn up to the parties that their spouses attend. As did Princess Grace in her day.

I'm curious as to what Charlene considers her duties to be.

And yes, I know the Grimaldis aren't "royal"so you don't need to point it out to me...
It was logical that Princess Grace did attend as the revenues went to the foundation which was set up in her honour and was/is bearing her very own name.

The event is organized by the Fondation Princesse Grace and the president is HRH The Princess of Hannover, whom indeed was the charming host as always.
Old 03-19-2016, 09:51 PM
Courtier

Quote:
It was logical that Princess Grace did attend as the revenues went to the foundation which was set up in her honour and was/is bearing her very own name.

The event is organized by the Fondation Princesse Grace and the president is HRH The Princess of Hannover, whom indeed was the charming host as always.
Well, as the Rose Ball started in 1954 and the Princess Grace Foundation some 10 years later I don't think that's the only reason Grace went.

If it's only Caroline's thing I don't know why Albert bothers to show up then, and yet there he is, year in, year out.

Still find it odd that Charlene seems to put in about one public appearance every 3 months or so.

Quote:
In essence it IS a small and meaningless affair. It is a bal. A dance event. And rich foreigners have to pay fees to attend, the revenues go to a charity. No more, no less. Every day there is a fundraising event somewhere in London. The Queen never attends. Boohoo to her too, then?

The big affairs are the Fête Nationale, Sainte-Devote, Christmas, the Laureus Awards, the Grand Prix de Monaco, the Diamond League, international congresses and symposia in Monte-Carlo, not an evening of dance and drinking champagne in a club. Come on...
Raising money for charity is not meaningless.

It's not small in Monaco - it IS a highlight of the social calendar.

Your comparison of the Queen not attending the many fundraising events in London with the Prince's Consort not turning up to one of the big fundraising events of the year in Monaco is ridiculous and not the same at all. Not least because she's pushing 90 and does more than a 38 year old.

That must be where Charlene has been these last few weeks - all those deeply meaningful and highly important conferences and symposia.
Old 03-19-2016, 10:51 PM
Serene Highness

wow, I had no idea people were so....whatever about Charlene.

Interesting.

As for the gowns, I only like Beatrice's, but the train is a bit much for my taste. But I'm just a nobody.