Relationships between members of the Princely Family

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Did anyone actually witness a direct one-to-one interaction between Caroline and Stephanie at any time on July 12th during the various events. There are no pictures of any contact between the two of them. And there are pictures of both of them interacting with virtually everyone else in the immediate family. Do they speak to each other?

Stanwix said:
Did anyone actually witness a direct one-to-one interaction between Caroline and Stephanie at any time on July 12th during the various events. There are no pictures of any contact between the two of them. And there are pictures of both of them interacting with virtually everyone else in the immediate family. Do they speak to each other?

Why is there always the same question?:rolleyes:
Yes, they do speak. Let's wait for Simon who could possibly help me out and onfirm it.
To say that once again: They're not very very close, they're very different, but they do talk.
At least if seen them talking many times over the years.

I think that Caroline would care for her but that there would be a price for Stephanie to pay, meaning Stephanie would have to play the perfect princess part to Caroline's liking which of course would include her personal love life. I don't think Stephanie is prepared to do that. The leniance that Rainier and Albert have given her would be gone.

lashinka2002 said:
I think that Caroline would care for her but that there would be a price for Stephanie to pay, meaning Stephanie would have to play the perfect princess part to Caroline's liking which of course would include her personal love life. I don't think Stephanie is prepared to do that. The leniance that Rainier and Albert have given her would be gone.

I think so, too. Caroline has always been angry at her father for indulging Steph's "whims". I just don't know how it will be like with Albert now. Rainier said that PA II gets along with both sisters and does not want to take sides for fear of hurting one or another.

In a book on them, she supposedly talked about Stephanie to a friend of hers (Caro). Basically Caroline said that she loves her sister but can't stand watching Steph testing life's limits.

I believe Steph can take care of herself. Doesn't she have her own money (trust fund, any proceeds from previous careers, Replay stores, inheritance from Princess Grace, and 1% from her father's estate?)?

Last edited:
I'm not sure exactly what Stephanie has money wise but I'm sure its nothing compared to Caroline's fortune. I'm thinking that Rainier may have meant to take care of Stephanie emotionally since she is know to hurt easily. I feel sorry for Albert who is put in the middle of his 2 sisters whom he no doubt loves both dearly.

If caroline became the sovereign princess, than I think we would see less and less of Stephanie and more and more of the Casiraghi's/Hannovers

Stephanie was well provided for in Rainier's will (over 20 million dollars), not as much as the other two children but certainly enough to live well.She has shown a certain lack of judgement in her life choices and if Caroline can't condone them well I don't always blame her.If Stephanie can't provide for herself and her family with the money she has been given then she has only herself to blame.She has three lovely childrenand her focus should be on them and perhaps a little less on her own personal love life.Those children need a strong and devoted mother,which I think Stephanie can be but she needs to think a little less about her needs for a while.As for whether or not Caroline should take care of her- I don't think she needs to ,Stephanie is financially self sufficient

Reina said:
If caroline became the sovereign princess, than I think we would see less and less of Stephanie and more and more of the Casiraghi's/Hannovers

I think youre quite right there Reina!!

Marlene said:
Stephanie was well provided for in Rainier's will (over 20 million dollars), not as much as the other two children but certainly enough to live well.She has shown a certain lack of judgement in her life choices and if Caroline can't condone them well I don't always blame her.If Stephanie can't provide for herself and her family with the money she has been given then she has only herself to blame.

I think Caroline has shown almost an equal lack of judgement in some areas for example marrying her first husband and the subsequent divorce, & her affair with Ernst while he was still married also becoming pregnant before marrying Stefano & Ernst. She's also had her share of boyfriends & been photographed topless & in comprimising positions at times. She just seems to be excused a little more I think personally because of the way she lost her second husband & the way she stepped into the role of first lady after Grace died. I think thier main conflict seems to be Stephanie's choice in men & that she lives her life more as a private citizen and not so much as a royal. I don't think that's all that bad. Really, it's not Caroline's buisness who Stephanie chooses as a romantic partner be him her bodyguard or a royal prince. If Caroline can't condone this behaviour when her own in the past has really proven at times to be no better it would to me be rather amusing!

Last edited:
lashinka2002 said:
I think youre quite right there Reina!!

I think Caroline has shown almost an equal lack of judgement in some areas for example marrying her first husband and the subsequent divorce, & her affair with Ernst while he was still married also becoming pregnant before marrying Stefano & Ernst. She's also had her share of boyfriends & been photographed topless & in comprimising positions at times. She just seems to be excused a little more I think personally because of the way she lost her second husband & the way she stepped into the role of first lady after Grace died. I think thier main conflict seems to be Stephanie's choice in men & that she lives her life more as a private citizen and not so much as a royal. I don't think that's all that bad. Really, it's not Caroline's buisness who Stephanie chooses as a romantic partner be him her bodyguard or a royal prince. If Caroline can't condone this behaviour when her own in the past has really proven at times to be no better it would to me be rather amusing!

Prince Rainier always had such a soft spot for both his daughters from their childhood onwards. Caroline did make mistakes. I think Rainier was equally forgiving of his daughters. He supposedly said that he was a father, not a judge wagging his fingers on them for their mistakes. He would have left Steph a bigger amount than 1% of his estate had she not have been mixed-up with some "undesirable" characters, or so a book on them says.

I think Caroline is just more "conscious" of their royal position than Steph is. Steph doesn't want to be a princess (but have become more accepting of her position). That's why she isn't conscious of whom she is dating. Yes, she should be free to find her partner, whether a commoner or nobility.

BTW, Rainier said in an interview that Steph was deeply traumatized by the (1982) accident and that he believes that she is the family member who needs the most support. And that Steph has a very strong character and knows what she wants, but have not just gotten what she wants in the best way possible (very aptly said).

I just wish Caro will support her sister the way Rainier wanted Steph to be supported. No doubt Albert will as he said so himself (in an interview with Larry King) that he doesn't think Steph's mental scars will heal.

As for what Caroline said about her sister and their distant relationship, the book said that's how she sees things. It was supposed to be said to a close friend of hers in Monaco. That as much as she loves her sister, it is painful for her to watch her sister go through life testing limits (I believe those are exact words written in the book).

Maybe for her the past mistakes are just that (past) and presumably she has learned from them, while Stephanie just goes on "indulging" herself, whether good or bad, with or without learning from things at all (This last paragraph is just my own view).

Interesting that Caroline supposedly used the word "painful" - don't you think?

________
Monica17

Last edited:
I think Stephanie has learned a lot and after all she is a very well educated intelligent woman, but it's true that she seems to stick to a certain shema specially in the 'men-sector' (;)) Well, I guess she won't get rid of this. I think thats what she is like. Maybe she needs the feeling of something new always after a while - or maybe she just likes it this way. I personaly see things differently in that issue :)p ) but thats probably what makes people differ, right. And Caroline seems to be different as wel, specially in that point ....and I guess it might hurt her as well to see her little sister to get hurt from time to time.
Anyway, I think it isn't very easy for Steph to keep up with Caro, it wouldn't be easy for anyone: Caroline is that kind of person who always seems to do everything right ( at least now, and at least thats her image), she seems perfect, always elegant, well behaving, intelectuel, chic, finding the right words ...etc - it must be hard to be put on her side with people saying : " Now try to be as perfect as your sister!" And thereStephanie does it the right way in my opinion: she chose her own way, her own style, her own personality; she relys on her own skills - and thats probably the best way to cope , because she could never be a second Caroline ( and we wouldn't want that, would we?! :p )

I think that everyone on this thread has really good points.
I'm hoping that after Rainier's death that Stephanie can pull together in the same way Caro did after Grace's death. Hopefully we'll see a new Stephanie emerge.

When Stephanie Was in the Hospital after the accident Caroline Stayed with her untill she was realesed they where close in the early 90's caroline is one of stephanies kids (Louis or paulines cant remember) godmother .Caroline is the oldest she is supposed to look out and try to protect her younger siblings maybe she feels she did not do that with Stephanie .Plus Stephanie is a free spirit like her mother always said she is my Wild Child . I hope that they talk and try to ger along behind closed doors . Does anyone know if Caroline is Close to Stephanies Children? I know Stephanie is close to Carolines 3 oldest.

I've heard a lot of people say that Caroline is quite cold and has turned in to a bit of a snob especially since she married Ernst and became HRH, but I think that you can bet your life on the fact that deep down she loves Stephanie just as much as Albert, if not more. If anything were to happen to Stephanie or her children Caroline would be devastated, just as Stephanie was by the death of Stefano. They may not be the best of friends and I'm sure that they have many differences and arguments but I bet that even today they share many intimate conversations and happy private family events together. Alexandra and Camille seemed quite content to play together during on July 12th. It therefore seems to me that they do spend quite a bit of time together and I can just imagine them playing in the palace gardens whilst Caroline and Stephanie sit at a table drinking a glass of wine and giggling about an awful shirt that Albert has just bought. LOL x

Yes, in this thread are good points!
Caro and Steph are different: the serious woman and the natural and "wild" Steph. But they love each other. Perhaps they don´t spend much time together couse they live in different places, have their own families, some years of difference...but i´m sure that everytime that they share they have fun, talk (and a lot). About Caro and Steph kids: the trio casiraghi are older than ducruets/camille and you know char doesn´t want play dolls with pauline or Andy doesn´t want play football with Louis. But Alex and Camille have the same age (almost) and they have fun in Albert´s coronation!

Cute story at the end of your post, budge9 ...:)

michelle said:
I think Stephanie has learned a lot and after all she is a very well educated intelligent woman, but it's true that she seems to stick to a certain shema specially in the 'men-sector' (;)) Well, I guess she won't get rid of this. I think thats what she is like. Maybe she needs the feeling of something new always after a while - or maybe she just likes it this way. I personaly see things differently in that issue :)p ) but thats probably what makes people differ, right. And Caroline seems to be different as wel, specially in that point ....and I guess it might hurt her as well to see her little sister to get hurt from time to time.
Anyway, I think it isn't very easy for Steph to keep up with Caro, it wouldn't be easy for anyone: Caroline is that kind of person who always seems to do everything right ( at least now, and at least thats her image), she seems perfect, always elegant, well behaving, intelectuel, chic, finding the right words ...etc - it must be hard to be put on her side with people saying : " Now try to be as perfect as your sister!" And thereStephanie does it the right way in my opinion: she chose her own way, her own style, her own personality; she relys on her own skills - and thats probably the best way to cope , because she could never be a second Caroline ( and we wouldn't want that, would we?! :p )

I agree, Michelle. :) I didn't mean it that way - that Steph hasn't learned anything from the past. I'm just guessing where Caroline might be coming from. Yes, Steph has come a long way, especially after being a mother. She really matured and has become more accepting of her position as royalty. I believe she has learned a lot from what she has been through. But maybe for Caro that's still not enough (see my earlier post) bec. Steph seems to repeat the same pattern or behavior, particularly with men. Caro really is just too perfect. I can safely say that she is the perfect princess now - stunningly beautiful, highly intellectual, great sense of style and etiquette, charity work, etc. I believe she has no "equal" among her peers at this point.

Steph, on the other hand, is a lot more carefree than her sister. But she also does a lot of important work for Monaco and her own association, plus the Princess Grace Foundation. I believe she might take a bigger role in the Circus Festival with her father gone. I have always maintained that the press always focuses on Steph's troubles, rather than her work. She was always her own person, rather than focusing on her status. Caroline is different - she seems to take duty above all (from childhood, I believe). That's one of the areas where the sisters differ bec. Steph doesn't really care much about the press features on her while Caro tries to project Monaco and the royal family in the best light possible. It is said that Caro gets upset when Steph gets featured in bad publicity.

Your wish is my wish Lashinka, that a better/new Stephanie (not that she wasn't good enough person - I really like her, even better than I like Caro) will emerge from their father's death, like Caro when their mother died.

Good views, everyone! :)

Last edited:
RADKER18 said:
Does anyone know if Caroline is Close to Stephanies Children? I know Stephanie is close to Carolines 3 oldest.

That's a hard question. All I know is that Caroline is Pauline's godmother. It's probably hard for Caroline to stay close to Steph's kids as they live in Monaco, and she lives in France and in Germany, with all her travels, even if she wants to. Even if she is in Monaco, Steph and her kids live outside of the palace.

Last edited:
monica17 said:
I agree, Michelle. :) I didn't mean it that way - that Steph hasn't learned anything from the past. I'm just guessing where Caroline might be coming from. Yes, Steph has come a long way, especially after being a mother. She really matured and has become more accepting of her position as royalty. I believe she has learned a lot from what she has been through. But maybe for Caro that's still not enough (see my earlier post) bec. Steph seems to repeat the same pattern or behavior, particularly with men. Caro really is just too perfect. I can safely say that she is the perfect princess now - stunningly beautiful, highly intellectual, great sense of style and etiquette, charity work, etc. I believe she has no "equal" among her peers at this point.

Steph, on the other hand, is a lot more carefree than her sister. But she also does a lot of important work for Monaco and her own association, plus the Princess Grace Foundation. I believe she might take a bigger role in the Circus Festival with her father gone. I have always maintained that the press always focuses on Steph's troubles, rather than her work. She was always her own person, rather than focusing on her status. Caroline is different - she seems to take duty above all (from childhood, I believe). That's one of the areas where the sisters differ bec. Steph doesn't really care much about the press features on her while Caro tries to project Monaco and the royal family in the best light possible. It is said that Caro gets upset when Steph gets featured in bad publicity.

Your wish is my wish Lashinka, that a better/new Stephanie (not that she wasn't good enough person - I really like her, even better than I like Caro) will emerge from their father's death, like Caro when their mother died.

Good views, everyone! :)

Totally agree, thanx monica, nice comments....

I think that a part of Caroline's snobishness may come from the media backlash in regards to her husbands behaviour. She may have decided that she's sick of having to answer questions about her life to others and explain the actions of her husband especially if she loves him dearly. Also I think her regal attitude was drilled into her as a child and by the time Stephanie came along Grace and Rainier eased up quite a bit princess raising duties. I think Caroline and Stephanie were both raised quite differently and behaviour patterns are a result of that as well.

lashinka2002 said:
I think that a part of Caroline's snobishness may come from the media backlash in regards to her husbands behaviour. She may have decided that she's sick of having to answer questions about her life to others and explain the actions of her husband especially if she loves him dearly. Also I think her regal attitude was drilled into her as a child and by the time Stephanie came along Grace and Rainier eased up quite a bit princess raising duties. I think Caroline and Stephanie were both raised quite differently and behaviour patterns are a result of that as well.

True!

In a rare interview, when asked why her facial expression seems to be "blank", esp. when her husband is exhibiting rough behavior, she answered that she was trained to show no emotions in such situations, and that "the press will write whatever they want in the caption anyway". Something like that.

The sisters had different personalities to begin with, and yes, had diff. upbringing. It was said that Rainier and Grace, particularly Grace, spoiled Steph so much. She was handled differently compared to her siblings.

Last edited:
I read that the reason steph got spoiled so much was because they thought of her as their Miracle baby all the miscarriges she was their last baby so they spoiled her a lot and steph was around her mom more than Caroline was .Parents Always Spoiles the baby.

RADKER18 said:
I read that the reason steph got spoiled so much was because they thought of her as their Miracle baby all the miscarriges she was their last baby so they spoiled her a lot and steph was around her mom more than Caroline was .Parents Always Spoiles the baby.

That's true. Everyone said so... palace staff, Grace's friends, Grace's sister Lizanne. Grace called Steph "my baby". Lizanne said that Grace was so thankful to have Steph that she spoiled her.

Plus, Rainier said that he thinks Grace spoiled Steph (compared to Albert and Caro) bec. she (Grace) got so exhausted with the difficulties of raising Caro. Grace herself said something about being a little tired with the third one and giving in to have peace.

But I think both girls (Caro and Steph) were raised primarily by Grace - and Albert by Rainier.

Last edited:
Thanks nice words from Caroline .

Thanks budge9, that one is great. Do you have more of Caroline?

I've got a short clip of Caroline talking about how she coped with Stefano's death and another one where she talks about her marriage to Junot. I will look for them and post them when I find them. Promise!

The video it's wonderfal, Stephanies was so cute little girl and Caroline simply stuning!!

Thanks.. :)

Thanks for sharing the video. The Grimaldi children were truly loved, nurtured and guided by their parents. I enjoyed watching the video...:)

Back
Top Bottom