Red Cross Ball, Monaco: 2005 - 2019, 2021 - 2024

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
She's ill on the other side of the world. An illness that apparently stops her from travelling. Given how devoted the princess is to her children I highly doubt that she'd remain separated from them longer than absolutely necessary.

he could travel by car or by ship, I suppose. This situation is not natural or me.

She could travel with a yacht, through the african coast.
Anyway, I find all this very strange.

Think it was mentioned somewhere that she had needed several head-surgeries due to a severe ENT infection...
No matter how luxury the yacht is and how many medical personnel you could take on the yacht...if it were me, i'd rather stay in one place (on land! where backup medical personnel is also available) with the surgical team i trusted until my health was stable enough..(don't know what would happen if you had to have surgery while at sea and then had to be airlifted if things took a turn for the worst, imagine being around the equator...would you then airlift back to S-A or to Monaco or somewhere in between)

That said, we don't know if her children are with her now, P.Albert has been working at the Olympics in Tokyo for the last days, so maybe he dropped the children off in S-A when he travelled there.. (private jet...i bet you can make all the detours you like)

But the limitted official information has led to all kinds of wild speculations on the internet (which i'm not going to repeat, if you're interested i'm sure they are easy to google)

Last edited:
Last edited:
Too hot inside ,
Princess Charlène looks perfect and Camille represents her Mother Princess Stéphanie. Much better than the carnavalesque Rose Ball.

Too hot inside ,
Princess Charlène looks perfect and Camille represents her Mother Princess Stéphanie. Much better than the carnavalesque Rose Ball.

That makes sense but I still think Albert is too casual when his wife is in a formal ball gown. Is it just a dinner and concert tonight or will there still be a dancefloor?

Why is the ball outside this year and why is Albert dressed so casually?

I've had a look back at the Red Cross Balls of the last 20 years and yes, you are right, it is rather casual compaired to his usual Red Cross look. He used to always (without a single exception!) wear a white jacket and a bow-tie.

That makes sense but I still think Albert is too casual when his wife is in a formal ball gown. Is it just a dinner and concert tonight or will there still be a dancefloor?
Apparently they had been looking to make some changes and the pandemic made the plans more concrete. It's the same format as last year. Dinner and seated concert.

Charlene looks lovely but if anything she is overdressed rather than Albert being underdressed. Just judging from other outfits around them.

He looks ridiculous in that red, white, and blue outfit. Geez ... he could have at least worn a full suit. I like her gown, but totally out of place next to him.

Apparently they had been looking to make some changes and the pandemic made the plans more concrete. It's the same format as last year. Dinner and seated concert.

Charlene looks lovely but if anything she is overdressed rather than Albert being underdressed. Just judging from other outfits around them.

Is the dancing then gone for good ie it's not actually a ball any more?

I agree with everyone about PA. He is not dressed for a formal evening event.

He wore a dinner jacket to the Bal de la Rose a couple of weeks ago. Why not tonight?

BTW it seems odd to have the two events back to back with one another....and on a week night no less.

I agree with everyone about PA. He is not dressed for a formal evening event.

He wore a dinner jacket to the Bal de la Rose a couple of weeks ago. Why not tonight?

BTW it seems odd to have the two events back to back with one another....and on a week night no less.
And then there is the FightAids Gala next weekend. I'm assuming the Rose Ball will be back to its normal spot next year.

Is the dancing then gone for good ie it's not actually a ball any more?
Seems that way. Maybe when Covid is a really distant memory they might reinstate it - otherwise it's just a very expensive dinner and cabaret.

Last edited by a moderator:
Seems that way. Maybe when Covid is a really distant memory they might reinstate it - otherwise it's just a very expensive dinner and cabaret.

Wow that is so sad, it was always a ball and I don't get why it can't stay as such. The Princely couple opening the dancing has been iconic since Grace and Ranier were doing it.

Well the last vestiges of glamour have truly disappeared from this occasion. Who would have thought that Charlene would be the only one to embrace the spirit of a ball which remains the official title of what used to be the pinnacle event in the social calendar.

Why always critics ?
As you know it is very hot these days , they decided to do it outside and they were fans on the dishes.
I regret the former postive Royal Forums , we were friends and sent private messages.

I agree: it’s sad to see the most glamorous event on the social calender in Monaco fade away into just another occasion. The beautiful ball gowns, the opening of the dance floor by the couple, the anticipation…

I also find it strange that it was held on a Monday evening and so close to two other big charity events.

It was nevertheless wonderful to see P Charlene looking well, and very elegant in a beautiful gown. At least that hasn’t changed.

This glamorous Event was not always happy. I remember one in the years 1980 when Prince Rainier and Princess Grace were with Caroline who just devorced from Philippe Junot.

This glamorous Event was not always happy. I remember one in the years 1980 when Prince Rainier and Princess Grace were with Caroline who just devorced from Philippe Junot.

Not to mention the one in 1983, the first after P. Grace's passing, or the one in 1991 that P. Caroline didn't attend because she was still mourning her late husband... :sad:

Not to mention the one in 1983, the first after P. Grace's passing, or the one in 1991 that P. Caroline didn't attend because she was still mourning her late husband... :sad:

and in 1982 , th first of Stephanie and the last of Princess Grace. She wore an ivoiry long dress , the same she wore in her coffin when she accidently passed away.

It doesn't help that the Rose Ball and the Red Cross are now split into "factions". The Princess of Hanover on one side and the Princess of Monaco on the other, with poor Albert caught in the middle and trying to support both.

I am personally more interested in the Rose Ball due to Caroline's glamorous children and their spouses.

But I cannot help but feel both events are rather diminished by having the family split up this way.

Perhaps when the twins are old enough to appear at the Red Cross will some of the old excitement return.

Why is the ball outside this year and why is Albert dressed so casually?
Too hot inside ,
Princess Charlène looks perfect and Camille represents her Mother Princess Stéphanie. Much better than the carnivalesque Rose Ball.
I agree, while the dress may be more casual it is possible for no other reason than White or Black Tie would have been too hot this year. At least I hope that is the reason. And I have to agree that the Rose Ball has become very carnivalesque and the dress code, while formal, was tacky, This event was more quietly elegant and breezy.

I agree, while the dress may be more casual it is possible for no other reason than White or Black Tie would have been too hot this year. At least I hope that is the reason. And I have to agree that the Rose Ball has become very carnivalesque and the dress code, while formal, was tacky, This event was more quietly elegant and breezy.
The dress code was the same as last year - more cocktail than ball.

The Rose Ball has always had a slightly carnivalesque edge, sort of fancy dress lite. I think it's fun. I don't think anyone looked especially tacky although I didn't love most of the dresses.

Waiting to see what Stephanie and family wear next week for the FightAids Gala.

This year's Red Cross Ball will take place on Saturday, July 29, 2023.

Robbie Williams will perform, see here. I haven't found anything about this year's theme yet, but it's quite possible that it may be dedicated to Prince Rainier's centenary.

I'm really looking forward to the ball tonight, so glad it's back in the original venue. I always love watching the prince and princess opening the dancing.

Back
Top Bottom