The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 08-04-2010, 06:27 PM
Serene Highness

I wonder if Tom Jones was paid a % of the take. Otherwise, why would you pay someone that kind of money for a charity event. Also, it used to be 1,000 Euros a ticket. Sounds like that has changed. No wonder there were empty seats. I hope he donated alot of the money back. It does sound like they raised alot more money than usual and it was for a very good cause.

Old 08-04-2010, 07:29 PM
Heir Apparent

An interview by ex-coal miner Tom Jones in 2008 in the "Guardian" (British quality rag):

On song: Tom Jones talks to Simon Hattenstone | Music | The Guardian

Old 08-04-2010, 08:07 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebastian View Post
The dress is made by J.I.K.I, who is actually a friend of Stephanies.
She's been making Steph's dresses for years now.
You can find the dress in her online-catalogue here ( page 180 ).
JIKI's website here.
well done sebastian; and good for S to be different to all the well known brands. no doubt she is supporting her friend and the gown in the catalogue looks beautiful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Next Star
Finally Caroline for the 2 straight year she has not shown up to this huge event I hope atleast next year she will be present to support just a great and worthy cause as this.
i thought caro was at the last ball? she must still be on holidays with alexanda; does anyone know? Stephanie has always dressed differently, so why doesnt everyone just accept it; she looks petrified at some of these events and probably is! due to people criticising her? she looked ok in the dress and supports her designer friend wearing something 'different'. Charlene looked magnificent and albert looks so very happy these days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thecia View Post
Caroline is in Corsica. I suspect she felt like it wasn't worth her time. .
i imagine caro is spending precious time on holidays as she has been very busy and also time with her daughter A, not because "she felt like it wasnt worth her time". S would have been asked to fill in for her knowing that Caro wasnt going to be there.
Old 08-04-2010, 10:09 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanofMonaco View Post
I wonder if Tom Jones was paid a % of the take. Otherwise, why would you pay someone that kind of money for a charity event. Also, it used to be 1,000 Euros a ticket. Sounds like that has changed. No wonder there were empty seats. I hope he donated alot of the money back. It does sound like they raised alot more money than usual and it was for a very good cause.
It did not changed. I saw official info:http://www.visitmonaco.com/de/Die-Presseakten/Enchante-moi-Monaco/Red-Cross-Ball-in-the-Salle-des-Etoiles-Price-1,000€

Red Cross Gala Ball 2010 - CityOut Monaco

So, anyone could call and buy a ticket starting at 1,000 Euros. It would explain why some controversial person could so easily get here.

"The course of true love never did run smooth " William Shakespeare, 'A Midsummer Night's Dream'

http://www.aishwarya-rai.com/
Old 08-04-2010, 11:13 PM
Nobility

The ticket was very high and alot of people didn't want to pay for the ticket. And Nicole is not controversial they didn't even make a big deal she was there. She sat away from the camera.
Old 08-04-2010, 11:55 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by foursox View Post
i thought caro was at the last ball? she must still be on holidays with alexanda; does anyone know? Stephanie has always dressed differently, so why doesnt everyone just accept it; she looks petrified at some of these events and probably is! due to people criticising her? she looked ok in the dress and supports her designer friend wearing something 'different'. Charlene looked magnificent and albert looks so very happy these days.
No-Caro hasn't been seen at the Red Cross Ball since 2008.
No idea, but that could very well be possible. Possibly both her daughters as Charlotte's birthday just past.
I agree. I'm not fond of Steph's dress myself, but I agree with you-she probably is petrified at some of these events.
I also agree...Albert and Charlene look amazing and REALLY happy these days...
Old 08-05-2010, 02:57 AM
Courtier

Quote:
i imagine caro is spending precious time on holidays as she has been very busy and also time with her daughter A, not because "she felt like it wasnt worth her time". S would have been asked to fill in for her knowing that Caro wasnt going to be there.
Sorry? Stephanie always goes to the Red Cross Ball. She wasn't "filling in" for anybody.
As for Caroline - we're sort of saying the same thing. I think that Caroline saw spending time to herself and with her family as more important than going to the ball, ergo it was less worthy of her time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
Elton was obviously attending the event where that picture was taken.
Elton performed at the ball along with Tom and Julio. Sean Paul performed too. I don't like his marching band style outfit but that's just a personal opinion.
Old 08-05-2010, 05:39 PM
Heir Apparent

I don't think Caroline is duty-bound to attend the Croix-Rouge.

She gives a lot of time and effort to "her" ball, the Bal de la Rose.
Old 08-05-2010, 10:06 PM
Serene Highness

I think PC is slowly pulling back and trying to let Charlene get all of the attention.
Old 08-05-2010, 10:59 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosana View Post
What are we supposed to comment on the party, apart fron the dresses. I´m curious.
Ok, the table settings were lovely; the music must have been fun vintage Tom Jones. The ambience was 2010 Monte Carlo. The menu made my mouth water. Oh yes, there must have been water somewhere, between the limousine drop-off of the princely family and the entrance into the ball. The two royal ladies of honor stepped into water and the hems of their dresses were wet.

The guests looked sophisticated and elegant. Charity money was raised for the less fortunate and a good time was had by all despite the wet royal couture dresses.

YouTube - ‪Charlene Wittstock und das kleine Gerücht‬‎

Look at 1:54
Old 08-06-2010, 02:20 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
well done sebastian; and good for S to be different to all the well known brands. no doubt she is supporting her friend and the gown in the catalogue looks beautiful.
It is great that Stephanie supports her friends. I looked through the entire catalog Sebastian posted; many beautiful outfits, although many too sexy. Steph could have easily found something not that tacky, I saw in this catalog many really appropriate evening gowns that would make Stephanie looking stunning. But again, she just made a bad choice.

"The course of true love never did run smooth " William Shakespeare, 'A Midsummer Night's Dream'

http://www.aishwarya-rai.com/
Old 08-08-2010, 05:44 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebastian View Post
The dress is made by J.I.K.I, who is actually a friend of Stephanies.
She's been making Steph's dresses for years now.
You can find the dress in her online-catalogue here ( page 180 ).
JIKI's website here.
The dress definitely looks way better in motion than in a static photo lit by the glare of countless flashbulbs coming from all directions.

The fact that Stephanie's dress is made by a friend is the soul of what many have been saying here on this thread: that she is her own loyal, giving, unique self, not a clotheshorse.

You can also see some other dresses in the catalog that she has worn previously, with great success, like 192 and 198.
Old 08-09-2010, 08:01 AM
Royal Highness

I was lucky to be holidaying in the Monaco area when the Red Cross Ball was held. I didnt try to see the royal family because in previous years I have only been able to get a slight glimpse as the cars sped by - they are driven into a private area at the sporting club where the shots in the video of them arriving are taken. I can answer a couple of questions posed earlier in the thread. Elton John was also part of the summer performing schedule at the sporting club this year so that would be the main reason he was there - he subsequently performed for about four nights at a 100e a ticket. The theme of the ball was a nautical one celebrating the opulence of the great liners ( not sure if this is why the bottom of the dresses were wet ) Although there weren't many well known faces there again, the local paper the Nice Matin published a list of some of the dignitaries on the top tables and it did include some ambassador types (including French & UK representatives) & trade related figures. My point being that the Ball appears to attract less celebrity & more figures from business & politics who must donate quite generously to the fund. It makes it slightly less interesting for some of us, but I think it would be unfair to call it in any way tacky. I did get to see the firework display at 1am & it was a pretty impressive 10 minutes.
Old 08-09-2010, 03:12 PM
Courtier
TRF Author

I think this Red Cross Gala was sad. I try to see the good in it, the money it pulled in for a good cause, the charming theme, the generosity of heart displayed by Stephanie who goes so far as to choose the one dress nobody else will order from her friend, but all I see (from the majority of pictures), is a group of people who belong to the most vulgar quarters of the Riviera. A display of grotesques, if I may be allowed to express my opinion freely, whose main purpose in dressing seems to be to exhibit their most inflatable assets.
Charlene looked lovely (does anybody know how she got her dress wet ?), but frigid as always, with the range of one expression set on her face: "I am a nice, unthreatening person, I'll make a good princess. Do you like me yet?"
As I have often commented, the gala organizers need to bring in real youth, but oh well, Caroline and her kids can't be bothered, after all she isn't in charge anymore, she has her own ball, etc., etc. Or does she intend to play rescuer as she will inevitably be called when she reappears in one of those dresses "only she can pull off"?
I wish the principality well, but if she keeps this cruising speed this liner is going to sink faster than the Titanic.
Old 08-09-2010, 04:40 PM
Heir Apparent

Beautifully expressed, but alas, I can't concur....

I do like the Titanic allusion, but I believe that, while PA, PC and PS are still around, people will still come to balls and events.

What will happen after the current line-up bows out, heaven alone knows....
Old 08-09-2010, 10:35 PM
Serene Highness

I think traditionally the Red Cross Ball has attracted an older crowd and the Rose Ball a younger crowd.
Old 08-10-2010, 03:51 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanofMonaco View Post
I think traditionally the Red Cross Ball has attracted an older crowd and the Rose Ball a younger crowd.
Yes that's exactly the impression I am beginning to form, but it may change if Charlene is able to draw a younger crowd as she begins to establish herself in her new role.
Old 08-10-2010, 05:27 PM
Heir Apparent

Of course, one can't judge Monaco by two annual balls. I'm sure that many of the attendees are not necessarily attending the Balls because of charity, but to see and to be seen themselves and to raise their own profiles.
Old 08-10-2010, 11:00 PM
Serene Highness

Renata I think that's the case with most high society charity events; not just in Monaco. That's okay. At least they are doing some good at the same time.