The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 08-02-2007, 04:32 PM
Heir Presumptive

I think this year's dress was Jikki like the white one she wore in 1999's Red Cross, and she also wore a white one (one shoulder) in 1996's Red Cross Ball. Stephanie has never worn a dress like the one Charlene wore, and the only ones in similar style that she wore like Charlene's were back in 1982 (Grace's engagement party dress), 1983 and 1984 Red Cross Balls...

As far as I remember this dress is "new" for Stephanie yet I find it similar in the shape or sth also to 2001's Red Cross dress too.

Maybe Charlene got hers at Jikki too.

Old 08-02-2007, 05:20 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnik View Post
As for many years Caroline was the best dressed sister this time Stephanie was much better.
Since last few weeks (or maybe months) I don't like what Caroline's wearing. Sometimes I think that Caroline want to look younger than she really is.

Charlene looks better than Caro too.
I totally disagree: in my opinion Caro was the best looking and best dressed...a symbol of elegance as always; Charlene was second, I really liked the dress but not as much the hair; last was Steph, her dress was fine but didn't suit her much, and was not enough a "ball dress". JMO.

Old 08-02-2007, 05:30 PM
Aristocracy

Gala's blurb.... Glamourous charlene,... she's Albert's friend (no other word)........;Albert is more relaxed..he seems wanting to settle her in Monaco....charlene is doing a good job during official events...she's closed with stéphanie...she's indossociable from "boss"..some monegasque are criticizing him because too much travels..(oh oh ). albert says no wedding but "we" can't trust him.. It was her last event before going in Tunisia to compete..;
gala 3
gala 4
gala 2
Old 08-02-2007, 05:36 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnik View Post
As for many years Caroline was the best dressed sister this time Stephanie was much better.
Since last few weeks (or maybe months) I don't like what Caroline's wearing. Sometimes I think that Caroline want to look younger than she really is.

Charlene looks better than Caro too.

I agree magnik. I was surprised at how much I disliked Caroline's dress. It pains me to say this because she is one of my style icons but lately some of her fashion choices have me scratching my head. The gown did not flatter her figure at all, it made her appear thick and matronly. And the bottom with those shreds...was just awful, IMO. But I did love her hair!

I thought Charlene looked best this year.
Old 08-02-2007, 08:55 PM
Serene Highness

lilae, is there a way to enlarge your scans, because I can't read anything? Thanks
Old 08-02-2007, 10:32 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grace View Post
I totally disagree: in my opinion Caro was the best looking and best dressed...a symbol of elegance as always; Charlene was second, I really liked the dress but not as much the hair; last was Steph, her dress was fine but didn't suit her much, and was not enough a "ball dress". JMO.
I agree, especially after seeing a nice large picture of Caroline's dress in a copy of the Spring ed. "New Riviera" Mag. It's a view of the back of it. I'm sure it even looked better up close & in person.
Old 08-03-2007, 05:06 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by paca View Post
lilae, is there a way to enlarge your scans, because I can't read anything? Thanks
I'm going to post it later..; i'm on vacations i have to find a scan in some Webcafé.
Old 08-03-2007, 08:56 AM
Aristocracy

Gala's blurb
http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r...s/Scan0003.gif
Old 08-03-2007, 09:20 AM
Heir Presumptive

My firends and I who don't post think Charlene looked very nice.
Old 08-03-2007, 09:44 AM
Heir Apparent

Location: Somewhere in the middle of the River Po Valley, Italy
I didn't like Caroline's dress either. It looked like an armour. ;-)

Stephanie looked as if she had been taken to the gala against her will, while Charlene looked great.
Old 08-03-2007, 05:07 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by paca View Post
Yes it is always the first week of August, after which local administration goes on holidays. This year they wanted Diana Ross (in todays paper it said that they had to have a big star which is why it had to be moved forward...Diana Ross big star in the 80s? certainly no more and a bit too much in the bottle last time I heard, but that puts her maybe back in the list of todays stars?) and apparently this was the only time she was free. Hmh, tomorrow there is Rod Stewart. Wasn't/Isn't he bigger then Diana Ross?

I felt I needed to reply to this. Diana Ross has a perennial (rises and falls) career of 40 plus years. She is the quintessence of America's Motown Music Era. She recently is in demand again. She received some honor award of prestige-? don't remember the organization. She is invited to top affairs/parties today. She coached the American Idol show the week her songs were presented.

Sorry to hear if the bottle statement is prevalent enough to mention. After the end of her marriage to the German industrialist,father of her 2 young boys, who died shortly afterward- I did see some sort of acting out behavior and one drink related incident. But then I don't read much European news.
Old 08-03-2007, 05:12 PM
Aristocracy

Diana gives an exciting performance, she is fabulous looking. The mother of 5 children. She,imo is a world-conscious woman. Presents as a lady's lady. She did the "love child" thing, a daughter; 2 daughters /Hollywood marriage; the Germany-America marriage of two teen boys.

She presents a good show and is great to look at-

She and Rod are different types,somewhat. I think they are somewhat near in age. She has, more of an iconic stature. She must make huge royalties. Her songs are like by-words. Performers of long standing-their popularity comes and goes
Old 08-03-2007, 10:37 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsla View Post
I agree, especially after seeing a nice large picture of Caroline's dress in a copy of the Spring ed. "New Riviera" Mag. It's a view of the back of it. I'm sure it even looked better up close & in person.
Caro's gown was a magnum opus by Chanel again .Quite difficult couture for even a seasoned veteran like caro to wear but she wore it with aplomb & panache which is always her forte.
A fantastic gown that was labour intensive. How many hours went into it is amazing to think of as it was made by hand.. Comparatively Charlene looked like she had been stepped on and flattened with that ludicrous part down the middle of her hair...... and the pasty lipstick and the one dimensional strapless gown with no stole or scarf.
Old 08-03-2007, 11:06 PM
Aristocracy

Location: Harrisburg (outside of Charlotte NC), United States
I think Charlene looked really nice. But I think no matter how she looks, someone is going to put her down because they do not like her.
Old 08-04-2007, 07:50 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by memoo View Post
I think Charlene looked really nice. But I think no matter how she looks, someone is going to put her down because they do not like her.
Tastes are different, so there will always be someone who likes one dress more then the other, regardless of whether or not we like the person. Lately Charlene has been wearing the same dress as Steph and I think the dress looked better on her then on Charlene (though I would have thought it inapproriate for both as to me it is more a starlet dress then a princess dress..I'm referring to the dress Steph wore in 2004 and Charlene to city hall reception). I simply think so because the contrast to Charlenes complexion and her overdyed hair was simply too strong, whereas Steph had her usual tan and jetblack hair. And she filled out the top part better, but that I guess will be Charlenes problem with any dress.

Personally I liked the dress that Melanie was wearing, though I think it would have looked better on her if she lost a few kilos ( and no I don't think that she would have to be as thin as Steph or Caro, but a few kilos less and it would have looked much better on her)
Old 08-04-2007, 10:02 AM
Heir Apparent

Location: Somewhere in the middle of the River Po Valley, Italy
A small gallery from:

Welcome to the Grazia Neri archive.
Old 09-04-2007, 05:08 PM
Gentry

Monaco: Aint What It Used To Be

I don't know, perhaps it's just me, but personally I feel present day Monaco and its Royal Family very much pale in comparison to the heyday of Rainier & Grace. Caroline, Albert & Stephanie, for all that they are the offspring of their parents, just don't seem to have 'IT' any more. Caroline and Stephanie seem to look progressively and outright bored at these events, and Albert, well,
let's just say he is no Rainier.

The Red Cross Ball, for all that it WAS under Grace and Rainier and the truly 'beautiful people' who attended long ago, just seems to become more mundane as the years go by. Perhaps its because, as I'll repeat below, the world has grown up; a world where increasingly the population overall knows the truth: we are all equal, all the same when it comes right down to it.

While I realize that hanging the huge blow-up photo of Grace was a homage to the 25th anniversary of her death (God, has it really been 25 years?) I also find it quite ironic, revealing, and sad that this beautiful woman who has been dead for a quarter of a century was the classiest act in the room!

The Red Cross Ball, and indeed all official events in Monaco seem to have become as flat as stale ginger ale. Long, long gone are the jet-set of years ago - the men and women who TRULY exuded charisma, charm and 'celebrity'. Gone are the Cary Grants, the Frank Sinatras, the Elizabeth Taylor's (still alive but in her twilight years) Maria Callas, Aristotle Onassis, Vivien Leigh and Laurence Olivier - all gone. And replaced with, today, what?
MTV and American sitcom/film stars who by no stretch of the imagination hold a proverbial spotlight to their predecessors.

And, indeed, gone is Princess Grace and Prince Rainier, the two pivotal, charismatic individuals who truly put Monaco on the world map. We will never see their likes again, folks. Sad, but true. Perhaps it's no coincidence that Monaco 'exploits' (pardon the term, but that's the way I see it) Grace's image whenever it can; for Monaco, deep down, knows that this magnificent woman, long dead, exudes the one imperative selling featurethat alludes all others: Star Quality.

The truth is, for Monaco's Royal Family, and indeed other Royal Families, is that perhaps (again my opinion) the parade has finally gone by. Perhaps, as I mentioned above, the world has grown up since Grace's marriage in 1956 and untimely death in 1982; perhaps the world at large has removed its rose-coloured glasses when it comes to 'Royalty' - a term, a way of life that seems increasinglly archaic, what with the wonderful progress (for the most part) made in regards to human rights the world over.

I have to admit, it's becoming increasingly 'hard' for me to look upon 'Royal Families', whatever that term means anymore - if it DOES mean anything anymore - as being 'special'.

Perhaps I myself have grown up a little, too.

There, just my opinion, folks.
Old 09-05-2007, 09:48 AM
Aristocracy

Location: Harrisburg (outside of Charlotte NC), United States
I do agree with most of what you said Johnnie. I just think most people now like royalty because of their grand lifestyle. Grand but not necessary lifestyle. We all still would like to believe in fairytales, princesses, princes, etc, but deep down we now they are just people like me and you.
Old 09-05-2007, 12:33 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnie View Post
I don't know, perhaps it's just me, but personally I feel present day Monaco and its Royal Family very much pale in comparison to the heyday of Rainier & Grace. Caroline, Albert & Stephanie, for all that they are the offspring of their parents, just don't seem to have 'IT' any more. Caroline and Stephanie seem to look progressively and outright bored at these events, and Albert, well,
let's just say he is no Rainier.

The Red Cross Ball, for all that it WAS under Grace and Rainier and the truly 'beautiful people' who attended long ago, just seems to become more mundane as the years go by. Perhaps its because, as I'll repeat below, the world has grown up; a world where increasingly the population overall knows the truth: we are all equal, all the same when it comes right down to it.

While I realize that hanging the huge blow-up photo of Grace was a homage to the 25th anniversary of her death (God, has it really been 25 years?) I also find it quite ironic, revealing, and sad that this beautiful woman who has been dead for a quarter of a century was the classiest act in the room!

The Red Cross Ball, and indeed all official events in Monaco seem to have become as flat as stale ginger ale. Long, long gone are the jet-set of years ago - the men and women who TRULY exuded charisma, charm and 'celebrity'. Gone are the Cary Grants, the Frank Sinatras, the Elizabeth Taylor's (still alive but in her twilight years) Maria Callas, Aristotle Onassis, Vivien Leigh and Laurence Olivier - all gone. And replaced with, today, what?
MTV and American sitcom/film stars who by no stretch of the imagination hold a proverbial spotlight to their predecessors.

And, indeed, gone is Princess Grace and Prince Rainier, the two pivotal, charismatic individuals who truly put Monaco on the world map. We will never see their likes again, folks. Sad, but true. Perhaps it's no coincidence that Monaco 'exploits' (pardon the term, but that's the way I see it) Grace's image whenever it can; for Monaco, deep down, knows that this magnificent woman, long dead, exudes the one imperative selling featurethat alludes all others: Star Quality.

The truth is, for Monaco's Royal Family, and indeed other Royal Families, is that perhaps (again my opinion) the parade has finally gone by. Perhaps, as I mentioned above, the world has grown up since Grace's marriage in 1956 and untimely death in 1982; perhaps the world at large has removed its rose-coloured glasses when it comes to 'Royalty' - a term, a way of life that seems increasinglly archaic, what with the wonderful progress (for the most part) made in regards to human rights the world over.

I have to admit, it's becoming increasingly 'hard' for me to look upon 'Royal Families', whatever that term means anymore - if it DOES mean anything anymore - as being 'special'.

Perhaps I myself have grown up a little, too.

There, just my opinion, folks.
Thanks for your opinion Johnnie. I have to agree. Sadly as the internet and tabloids have increasingly exposed the royals private lives more and more, the illusion of a fairytale fades quickly. There are still royals that I think will rise to the occasion as they mature but in Monaco's case, I'm still hoping the trio will rise to the occasion and bring the glamor back. Charlotte has huge potential to be the one to do it. JMO
Old 09-05-2007, 04:00 PM
Nobility

It sad to said that they let someone come in between the family. You can tell the different NOW & THEN.