Red Cross Ball, Monaco: 2005 - 2019, 2021 - 2024

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I am entirely ok with you NGalitzine, Princess Grace is dead in 1982, not yesterday, there will be a ceremony in september .

^^^^^
I don't think every public event has to be turned into a memorial for Grace. She has been dead for 30 years. They have already done the global tour of the Grace artifacts. At some time it has to come to an end and life for the principality has to move on. I am sure her family have their own private memories and that is enough.

Exactly. On Sept 14th(the 30th anniversary) there will likely be a Mass or some sort of memorial either in the Cathedral or in the Palatine Chapel where her family can honor her memory.

The Red Cross Ball would not have been an appropriate venue for something like that.

Thanks, Melina for the video link...nice video of the couple enjoying themselves. Are they returning to the Olympics?

I think they will return to Olympics because Albert is a member of the CIO staff

Has any announcement been made as to why Stephanie pulled out having been stated as attending? Although I think the comparison with the Grace years of the ball is perhaps becoming irrelevant, what I think is relevant is that members of the immediate family are turning up in less numbers, and I wonder why Caroline's family have never really attended. I know they support the Rose Ball, but the Red Cross Ball is meant to be THE event of the social calendar.

Thanks for posting the video. It looks like they had a good time.

In the years of Princess Grace, nobody asked why Princess Antoinette was not attending the red cross ball when she did not attend sometimes( She did not attend during years after the wedding of Rainier and Grace). The main couple Grace and Rainier was here, that was the most important(Rainier was the patron of the red cross gala and after, Princess Grace was the patron) now the main couple is Albert and Charlene(Albert id the patron ) . and it is the most important.
In the announce, it is said under the presidence of SAS prince Albert of Monaco with the presence of SAS princess charlene and ..? when you read this you do quickly the difference, Prince Albert must be here, it is his duty , but the other members come or do not come , it is not a duty for them.
The sisters Caroline and Stéphanie came because Albert was alone it was a sort of support then Caroline did not attend to the red cross gala since she is alone , Stephanie attended until the wedding of her brother. Both are alone and it is not pleasant to be alone in a gala where you are eating and dancing.
Stephanie did not attend to the rose gala since many years. The Casiraghi children attend only to the rose Ball because this gala is under the presidence of their mother. This year Charlotte was the only who attended to this gala.

An other video

Albert und Charlène auf Kuschelkurs - Royal: News aus den Königshäusern - glanz & gloria - Schweizer Fernsehen

Last edited by a moderator:
In the early years of Rainier and Grace's marriage, it is pretty well documented that the relationship between Princess Antoinette and the first couple were poor which may explain why Antoinette did not attend so many Galas during this time - although later, her attendance was pretty much guaranteed until ill health overtook her. Caroline attended all of the balls (I think) once she was old enough to do so while Grace was alive, and Stephanie also attended - although of course she was still very young when Grace was alive. So I don't think the fact that Albert now has Charlene, although obviously a factor, should be the reason why the rest of the family appear to have "downgraded" this event.

I think it's pretty simple. Until Albert had a wife, Caroline and her children attended out of a show of loyalty and support. How sad would it have been for Albert there all alone?

Now Monaco once again has an official Premiere Dame. The absence of Caroline and her children and Stephanie does not need to mean that this will be the permanent new look of things going forward.

It just means that they are not necessarily needed there like in the past, and are now more free to attend or not attend as they please.

I am certain that we will still be getting occasional glimpses of the other members of the family at key events.

Every time any of you wonder why Princess Caroline isn't attending an event think of this. Caroline speaking of Albert. "Of course, he doesn't stop saying he needs to find the right one. But at this point, I'd settle for Joan Collins!" Gadsdent Times

I had a book Caroline and Stephanie and that was mentioned and if I recall correctly one of the reasons she wanted him to marry was so she would no longer have to fill in as Princess of Monaco (they don't have a First Lady) and could retire with her family. She never wanted the trio to receive a title even though Rainier bestowed the title Duke of Monaco on Stefano.

I think it's pretty simple. Until Albert had a wife, Caroline and her children attended out of a show of loyalty and support. How sad would it have been for Albert there all alone?

Now Monaco once again has an official Premiere Dame. The absence of Caroline and her children and Stephanie does not need to mean that this will be the permanent new look of things going forward.

It just means that they are not necessarily needed there like in the past, and are now more free to attend or not attend as they please.

I am certain that we will still be getting occasional glimpses of the other members of the family at key events.

Even so, and i agree with everithing you say, i think the great allure was, no doudt the presence of one of the most beautiful and charismatic princesses of the world: P. Caroline. I believe most of the attendants of the ball, went there to have the oportunity to be close to her. So, i think that without her, the event looses part of its glamour and magic...:rose2:
Come on, can we really define the princely couple as glamourous?!?!? :lol: :lol: :lol:

I have idolized Caroline since I was a child. I think she could light up Hades if she ever made an appearance. :ROFLMAO:

As for Albert and Charlene, they are not everyone's cup of tea but yes...in their own way they do set off a kind of glamour, imo.

It's Monaco. No matter what, the Principality and it's rulers will always leave a little stardust...at least for me. :whistling:

Last edited:
I had a book Caroline and Stephanie and that was mentioned and if I recall correctly one of the reasons she wanted him to marry was so she would no longer have to fill in as Princess of Monaco (they don't have a First Lady) and could retire with her family. She never wanted the trio to receive a title even though Rainier bestowed the title Duke of Monaco on Stefano.

I don´t think Caroline wanted to retire. If she ever did, this years she realized she cannot. That is why she performs most of the duties of the first lady, yet.

I think it is more a matter of - P. Caroline and Stephanie have been there all the last years - as far as I remember. So we are expecting them to be there.

For those asking about a link about Stefano and the Duke of Monaco I gave the link in it and it takes you to where it is written in the book review of "Once Upon a Time: Behind the Fairy Tale of Princess Grace and Prince Rainier" By J. Randy Taraborrelli this is the link again.

As I said in my post Monaco does not have a First Lady, Charlene is the Princess Consort of Monaco. There is no reason Caroline can't retire.

The spouse of the sovereing IS the first lady. In case of death, the first daughter takes her place.
And no, Caroline cannot retire, it would be a disaster for Monaco. Not until there is another one to help Albert and take up the Ballet, the Sprign Arts, Amade, the P Pierre Foundation, the P. Grace Foundation and so on, for which speaking French is as essential requirement.

The spouse of the sovereing IS the first lady. In case of death, the first daughter takes her place.
And no, Caroline cannot retire, it would be a disaster for Monaco. Not until there is another one to help Albert and take up the Ballet, the Sprign Arts, Amade, the P Pierre Foundation, the P. Grace Foundation and so on, for which speaking French is as essential requirement.

I don't think Charlene is not going to die. And Caroline is hardly a concept of virtue. And why is speaking French, such an obsession?? It, obviously, will go on with Charlene. Princess Grace, at this point, didn't speak French that well and never spoke it unless she had to.

"First Lady" is a title used in the US and some other republics for the wives of their Presidents. It is not a term applied to the wives of reigning monarchs. No one would ever officially call Queen Sonja the First Lady of Norway or Queen Silvia the First Lady of Sweden. Charlene is Princess Consort of Monaco.

I can't speak for the other posters, but I used the term "Premiere Dame" to refer to the Princess of Monaco because I often see her referred to that way in French publications such as Point de Vue and Paris Match.

Before Albert's wedding last year I lost count of the number of times I saw Caroline called Monaco's "de facto Premiere Dame" in those particular magazines.

Last edited:
I think Princess Charlene looked very beautiful! And she and Prince Albert seem to be happy and content! However the ball is not the same without Princesses Caroline and Stephanie, esp Princess Caroline. She brings glamour to the ball. I know people will say, there is no longer a need for her to be there, since Charlene is now married Prince Albert. In response to that....then why are Elisabeth de Massy and her children there instead?!?!

I think Princess Charlene looked very beautiful! And she and Prince Albert seem to be happy and content! However the ball is not the same without Princesses Caroline and Stephanie, esp Princess Caroline. She brings glamour to the ball. I know people will say, there is no longer a need for her to be there, since Charlene is now married Prince Albert. In response to that....then why are Elisabeth de Massy and her children there instead?!?!

Maybe because they wanted to be there.

Last edited by a moderator:
Baroness of Massy and her children could come to the ball, I do not see why they could not come if the rest of the family was in holidays and could not come.

There was a good mood during this ball, on all the videos (nice matin, monaco channel and so) all the persons who were presents are happy to dance and it is the most important thing in this evening. They are not sad that Princess Caroline, princess stephanie and the rest of the family is not here.

I think I was misunderstood. I didn't say Elisabeth de Massy and her kids shouldn't be there. I was simply saying that if someone said that Princess Caroline didn't need to be there because Charlene now is the Princess, why would they then NEED to be there.

I would suggest that they did not NEED to be there but maybe they WANTED to be there so they went. Caroline did not NEED tp be there so she DID NOT go. Stephanie was announced as attending but as yet we do not know why she did not go.

Elizabeth of Massy and her children are part of the princely family. She is the daughter of the princess Antoinette who was the sister of Prince Rainier. They are always in the galas in Monaco.
In the year 50, Before the wedding of Prince Rainier, Princess Antoinette was the heir of Prince Rainier and her children were the preomptiv heirs. There were many articles on them in the medias, they were near Rainier at the national fest and so. After the wedding of Rainier and Grace, and after the birth of Caroline and Albert, we did not see them in the medias, neither her mother nor them. There was a new princely family. Even at that times, Princess Antoinette was very beautiful and glamourous and many people wanted to see them
It could be the same thing if Albert and Charlene have children.

Back
Top Bottom