The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Princely Family of Monaco

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 08-04-2008, 01:31 PM
Heir Presumptive

Once you get the royal make-over treatment - i.e. all personal characteristics erased - they all look the same from 25 to 45.

Old 08-04-2008, 01:54 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by iloveroyals View Post
When you mentioned Victoria, it suddenly fell into place (especially since she seems to be great pals with Albert.) I think they need to gather all the royals of the planet who are interested in the Red Cross and make it the draw for them to gather once a year. Think of all the profits for that agency ! Why, oh why aren't we employed by the Monaco public relations department ? It seems everybody always comes up with fabulous ideas to return Monaco to its former glamour (and therefore touristic destination must) and generate profits for its charities...
Do you really think so?? I see from the caliber of the guests to the entertainers, it is becoming a bit more provincial and low key. I wonder why the Duc of Castro and lovely Camilla did not attend this year. Also way back Princess Grace could bring over Hollywood stars to throw some glitter in the mix. Where was Roger Moore, Gina Lolobridgida? A few Royals also attended throughout the years. Now it seems like anyone who can "buy" a table can make it in and they are the stars of the night. Perhaps they should move it at a time when less people are on vacation??

Old 08-04-2008, 02:49 PM
Heir Presumptive

Well when the Red Cross Ball took place back, the harbor in Monaco was filled with celebrities and their yachts. Even though it's not a Red Cross Ball anecdote, I remember reading Caroline say at this year's Rose Ball, that for 1964's Rose Ball , the performer (I think it was Sammy Davis Jr.) had gotten ill, and that night among those attending the Ball was Burt Bacharach, so he hopped on stage and saved the night. Then for an early 70s Red Cross Ball, the same happened and Josephine Baker saved the night once again. I guess if that happens nowadays, due to the caliber of the guests that everyone is mentioning, the Ball would somehow be left out with a show, sad.

I agree where was Roger Moore, Gina Lolobrigida, Shirley Bassey, and the others which are Ball veterans. For this year they could have gotten on stage previous Ball performers that are still alive like: Tony Bennet, Shirley Bassey, Michael Bolton, Liza Minelli, Tina Turner, Rod Stewart, Lionel Richie, Diana Ross, Elton John, and Paul Anka just to mention some. Imagine what a show it would have been, a great celebration for the Ball's 60 years and I'm sure a lot of Ball veterans and frequent guests would have showed.
Old 08-04-2008, 03:00 PM
Heir Presumptive

Seems to me it is like most other things. Princess Grace put Monaco on the map. (Don't forget her mother thought she became engaged to the Prince of Morroco, when e first heard the news) She brought Hollywood and with it came the emigrees and the moneyed who wanted to rub elbows with the elite. In the process the fund swelled.
Nowdays the moneyed are after other pursuits and apparently do not give a hoot about the Ball. The Old Hollywood is truly old and the younger Royal clan cannot attract the Sammy Davis and the Josephine Bakers of today.
BTW Every year there was a tombola where they were drawing some beautiful jewelry from Reposi. Does anyone know if they had it this year??
Perhaps moving to the gardens was not such a bright idea after all.
Old 08-04-2008, 03:09 PM
Heir Presumptive

I imagine there was a tombola like always since the Repossis were there. They moved it to the gardens this year because the Ball room this year was used for some rock concerts during the summer, so it would have been difficult to organize everything I suppose in hours.

And you're right Odette, the times have changed...
Old 08-04-2008, 03:58 PM
Royal Highness

The Monaco Times reports:
"In the raffle this year, there is a wonderful ‘Heart Jewel Set’ to be won. The valuable donation from the Repossi Jewellers consists of a necklace, a bracelet and earrings in white gold and gemstones. The proceeds will be used to fund international and Monegasque projects. "
Old 08-04-2008, 04:07 PM
Heir Presumptive

That's very nice. Wonder who the lucky guest was!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-04-2008, 05:44 PM
Commoner

Odette, you are so right. Dare I say that Princess Grace would not have shown her ahem b---- as much as Charlene has. Maybe I'm old fashioned but gee golly whiz. If Albert wants a girl like his mom keep looking. Grace would not have been caught (unless theres a photo I havent seen) in a dress that was that revealing. Does the girl just love halter tops?
Old 08-04-2008, 06:21 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by La Bouche d'Or View Post
^^ Haha, Mr. Penguin was funny :)

IMO, everyone looked good, but Charlene should fire her stylist or whatever.

Is there any video of the event?

They all looked great, imo. The plunge on onCW's dress is a narrow slit, and actually does not flop her out. Re her hair. I would imagine she probably has two reasons--one being that she looks more mature and sedate and not fussy in her role. And perhaps she is still swimming and that way can pull her self together easily. But I thought she looked lovely. Also like the purple dress.
Old 08-04-2008, 06:28 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish ladybug View Post
Odette, you are so right. Dare I say that Princess Grace would not have shown her ahem b---- as much as Charlene has. Maybe I'm old fashioned but gee golly whiz. If Albert wants a girl like his mom keep looking. Grace would not have been caught (unless theres a photo I havent seen) in a dress that was that revealing. Does the girl just love halter tops?
yes you are right, because she have a lot of the halter top in different colour, i wonder what is so atrractive about a princess wanna be exposeing her chest to everyone to get attention like i say a millions times it sent a wrong message to people that are and it will give her a bad images that is not what people want as their ruler.
Old 08-04-2008, 06:42 PM
Aristocracy

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by olga101 View Post
They all looked great, imo. The plunge on onCW's dress is a narrow slit, and actually does not flop her out. Re her hair. I would imagine she probably has two reasons--one being that she looks more mature and sedate and not fussy in her role. And perhaps she is still swimming and that way can pull her self together easily. But I thought she looked lovely. Also like the purple dress.
olga you have to go backto getty image and look at the photo again because the dress almost flop out when she was sitting, altar top are not the best thing on her but since she is audition for a role of a leader wife is about time she drop the teen look for something that will suit for her role for the public to relate too not something unoriginal.
Old 08-04-2008, 06:56 PM
Courtier

Everyone is criticizing Charlene - I don't get it - she looked fine. At the Rose Ball, Caroline in her ill-fitting black horror from Chanel DID expose her breasts - not a pretty sight! And Caroline does need to lay off the black hair dye -
Stephanie has the best of the couturiers at her beck and call --- she doesn't have to go slumming to buy her clothes. The poor woman just doesn't have any fashion sense and doesn't seem to care - and to think that she apprenticed at Dior when she was a teen-ager. And Stephanie must be dipping into Caroline's hair dye as her hair looks unnatural along with her leathery skin.
Poor Ivana Trump --- the gossip sheets stated that a week before the Red Cross Ball that she fell off a banquette on Denise Rich's (very wealthy) yacht and seriously hurt herself. Was taken off the yacht on a stretcher. She was supposed to be black-and-blue all over. And then she shows up at the Rose Ball!
Just a sideline --- with all of the reminising, I remember that before a grand party or ball, hair-dressers (like Alexandre) would provide the press with sketches of the the hairdos which royalty and famous stars would wear.
The good old days ...
Old 08-04-2008, 07:30 PM
Heir Presumptive

I always believe we all see and hear what we want to see and hear. I for one have seen Charlene's breasts twice in the same week. I do not know who dresses her and if anyone gets paid to see how she looks coming and going but she is not exactly careful with her choices. Obviously everyone can have a "wardrobe malfunction" once in a while and things can get ugly. No one is immuned to it and the worst Caroline has ever done was that black dress in March.
The reason why the comments are too sharp on Charlene is because she is a new comer/royal wannabe and she has to work a little harder, to give an image of someone who can take over where P Grace left off.
Old 08-04-2008, 08:47 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elly C View Post
Sadly I think I agree with this comment. The ball does need some a little tired & needs some fresh faces - particularly amongst the high profile guests. Caroline & Stephanie will always attract interest but inevitably the media will want to focus on younger & newer faces. I guess I'm just disappointed Charlotte didn't show- why do you think she hasn't attended yet?
Does Charlotte have any "official" obligations - it seems that Andrea has AMADE, and Pierre has attended some things (including AMADE) w/Princess Caroline; but, is Charlotte actually obligated to anything? Maybe - if Stephanie doesn't - Charlotte will take over the Rose Ball some day?
Old 08-05-2008, 12:03 AM
Courtier

Caroline's changing couture choices

Quote:
Originally Posted by pruts View Post
IMO you hit the nail on the head! I think, however, that Caroline still is far and away the most beautiful and elegant of this three ladies, despite the shapeless dress (great colour though). Strange choice again. Is she losing her dress sense or is is just more difficult when you get older?
Princess Caroline's mode of attire seems to reflect what might be going on in her life. I remember reading an interview that she gave Harper’s Bazaar magazine. She said something along the lines of, "I can't just dress the way I want to, I have to dress for my role. People expect me to dress a certain way." Perhaps she knows something that we don't know -maybe she isn't going to have the role of first lady of Monaco for much longer.

Lately I have noticed a change in her choice of apparel. Her dresses, gowns and accessories are as elegant as always, but reflect a style that is bit more relaxed and personal. This year her red cross ball gown was beautiful and simple. Perhaps she is ready for a change in her life and this is expressed by choosing couture gowns for herself, not her role.
Old 08-05-2008, 01:53 AM
Nobility

I feel sorry for Charlene or anyone who may be presented as Albert's possible wife -- even Caroline and Stephanie cannot measure up to the glamour and elegance Grace left, what more a total outsider? It seems Monaco's next Princess must totally immerse herself in charity work that is global in nature in order to earn her place next to the perfect Grace.

As for fashion choices, the Grimaldi women are Mediterranean and dark, and I think they look better in simpler, cleaner styles in clothes, hair and make-up that allow their exotic beauty to shine through.

Grace however was patrician, and a Hollywood, Oscar-winning actress at that, and her blondeness and perfect posture allowed more imagination and creativity. She was like a blank canvas that designers and hair and make-up artists can totally paint a dream on. Even in later years, when she lost her svelte build and was looking matronly, she did not lose that elegance and was still the star of any ball that she attended.
Old 08-05-2008, 05:22 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by royrrules View Post
I feel sorry for Charlene or anyone who may be presented as Albert's possible wife -- even Caroline and Stephanie cannot measure up to the glamour and elegance Grace left, what more a total outsider? It seems Monaco's next Princess must totally immerse herself in charity work that is global in nature in order to earn her place next to the perfect Grace.

As for fashion choices, the Grimaldi women are Mediterranean and dark, and I think they look better in simpler, cleaner styles in clothes, hair and make-up that allow their exotic beauty to shine through.

Grace however was patrician, and a Hollywood, Oscar-winning actress at that, and her blondeness and perfect posture allowed more imagination and creativity. She was like a blank canvas that designers and hair and make-up artists can totally paint a dream on. Even in later years, when she lost her svelte build and was looking matronly, she did not lose that elegance and was still the star of any ball that she attended.
I total agree with everything you say!

but I must add , I thought charlene looked fine . Stephanies dress should of been longer .
Old 08-05-2008, 07:15 AM
Majesty

Here's a video about this years Red Cross Ball:

Centre de Presse
Old 08-05-2008, 10:51 AM
Courtier

Jewels worn at the ball

Any comments about the jewels (or lack of) worn by Princess Caroline, Princess Stephanie and Charlene Whittstock? Royals attending the balls in Monaco used to wear fabulous jewels. It seems that the Royal ladies are wearing jewelry that is quite simple and understated. Princess Caroline wore earrings that looked as if they were enamel, a simple necklace, and unusual looking bracelets. Stephanie wore several diamond ear studs, a pendant on a velvet ribbon, no rings or earrings. Charlene had simple drop earrings, no bracelets or rings. Other ladies attending the ball wore significant jewels. Why such understated jewelry on Caroline, Stephanie and Charlene?
Old 08-05-2008, 01:55 PM
Gentry

Kind of off-topic, but somewhat related - does anyone know or heard how Caroline and Stephanie seem to be getting along these days? Or is it the same scenario with those two?

I can somewhat relate to them; my oldest brother and I see each other at family functions about 2 times a year, which is enough for us! LOL. I love him, but we don't exactly see eye to eye on a lot of things. We're totally different animals, as I suspect Caroline and Steph are.

Anyway, just wondering.