The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Princely Family of Monaco

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 08-02-2008, 06:48 PM
Aristocracy

Obviously she was dressed by a stylist, and most certainly a stylist that was paid for by the Palace. This was a calculated move by the Palace to showcase Charlene as part of the family and possibly the next Princess of Monaco.

Old 08-02-2008, 07:06 PM
Courtier
TRF Author

I don't know much much the French magazine VSD knows. In their 25 June-1st July issue, Albert and Charlene grace the cover, and the cover story is about the imminent marriage announcement. But we've read that a dozen times before, so I don't know how much credit to give to that "scoop".

Old 08-02-2008, 07:53 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaya View Post
The dress by Alberta in white organza/chiffon should be cut and fitted to her body in the bodice right into her armpits and not hanging on her chest. I do not blame Miss Wittstock for this but the fitters. They also should have the lady look at her accessories harder as purple shoes[same as the colour at the bottom of her dress] and stole would have made this outfit exceptional.
The flower was a lovely retro touch from the seventies - but we have to look at symmetry as the flower was almost as big as the face of Miss Wittsock and I am not certain that it was actually the greatest for that gown. Perhaps a bunch of smaller flowers in a cluster would have been better. Again the designer's call.
BY far her best appearance although I find her make- up would have been spruced up had she worn the deeper lipstick.
In fact I think Miss Wittstock could be painted like this and in this gown for all time in an official portrait. I think Miss Wittsock does not need a designer gown anyway as she does not have to wear the label on her forehead to look good or bad like all of us.
I like what you've said about the fitting and the addition of the right stole and shoes but I just feel that Charlene looks better in clean lines and not frou frou. I think the dress clashes with her personality in that regard. I liked her in the short turquoise dress she wore to the concert. That color suited her much better but again it wasn't properly fitted. I did not like her hair and make up as it clashed with the dress too severe and the make up washed out her features entirely. I still think last year she looked much better. JMO
Old 08-02-2008, 08:26 PM
Heir Presumptive

I hope VSD is right this time !
Old 08-02-2008, 10:20 PM
Aristocracy

I really liked Caroline's dress, especially the color. I also loved the earrings even though they were big, I thought she looked very elegant and classy.

I was also looking at pictures of Bill Wyman and his wife, she looks like a corpse with that awful makeup and hair. Someone should have told her that this was the Red Cross Ball, not Night of the Living Dead!!
Old 08-03-2008, 02:53 AM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Month Representative - Monaco and Sweden

Here's the gallery from abaca:

-----> Red Cross Ball 2008
Old 08-03-2008, 03:23 AM
Courtier

I like the looks of the three ladies. Charlene is the best this time. Caroline is one of the few women who can pull of a dress like that. I really like the color and patern of Stephanie's dress, but I think it would have looked better if it was long and strapless.
But over all, bravo! Great location and decoration too.

Ps: For those who have suggestions for other dresses: maybe someone could open a fashion suggestions thread in the Royal Fashion section, there you can give all your suggestions for the Monaco ladies.
Old 08-03-2008, 08:34 AM
Aristocracy

I liked that grand entrance into that beautiful walkway outdoors. What a lovely setting for this year's gala. I thought they all looked very good and happy. I was glad to see Charlene making her entrance next to her beau, but I felt bad when she didn't get any flowers and that is up to Prince Albert. Princess Caroline is a beautiful woman and I loved her simple gown which for the summer evening was perfect and what a pretty color. Princess Stephanie looked good and happy, but the dress, although I did like the color, it should have been long and I don't like her hair pulled back that way. You could see that snake like tattoo she has on her back. Charlene looked glamorous, also simple, I loved that vanilla color and her hair with the platinum highlights. She has a very pretty face and beautiful eyes which were enhanced by the rose-lilac color of her eyeshadow. But most of all, everyone seemed so happy to be together and to be at the gala. Prince Albert looked handsome in his white jacket tuxedo and I could see in some of the photos how sweetly he looks at Charlene. Compare her with some of the other women that attend these events and I think that Charlene outshines them by far. She is a statuesque beauty. I would be happy is she attends next year's gala at least as his fiance. I also liked the fact that although Princess Caroline is the first lady of the Principality, she stepped back and allowed Charlene to make her entrance next to Prince Albert and that shows respect, consideration and that there is obviously a good relationship between them. They all looked wonderful!
Old 08-03-2008, 12:41 PM
Courtier
TRF Author

You know, for all our internal (to the forum) criticism, none of the ladies has made it in the "gofugyourself" website. So it's an improvement over the Rose Ball, where Princess Caroline, of all people, was induced. I am surprised they missed putting either Princess Stephanie or Mrs Wyman, I can see how much fun they would have had with them. But personally, I agree with you, miraglia1983. I think my expectations were so low that on the whole, I thought it all went quite well.
Old 08-03-2008, 04:02 PM
Aristocracy

Oh my...it looks like someone has take someone else place to stay in the frontline...
Anyway it looks a natural thing, Albert and Charlene are a very handsome couple...
Old 08-03-2008, 05:55 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdm View Post
I like the looks of the three ladies. Charlene is the best this time. Caroline is one of the few women who can pull of a dress like that. I really like the color and patern of Stephanie's dress, but I think it would have looked better if it was long and strapless.
But over all, bravo! Great location and decoration too.

Ps: For those who have suggestions for other dresses: maybe someone could open a fashion suggestions thread in the Royal Fashion section, there you can give all your suggestions for the Monaco ladies.
LOL The beauty of it all is that we can all discuss what we see, the way we see it. If we all go WOW!!!!! everytime they show up, no matter how they look, there would not be much of give and take after all.
Old 08-03-2008, 07:57 PM
Serene Highness

Charlene, while beautiful, is not the focus of the event; seems the majority of pics are of her - certainly should have been more focus on the family, as well as Princess Caroline and Prince Albert, individually.
Old 08-03-2008, 08:23 PM
Heir Presumptive

The most newsworthy person will get most attention. Charlene is the big news - especially as she is by Albert's side for the evening and not walking a few steps behind him and his sisters. Hence, most of the pictures will be of her. Everything else is old hat - the event has been going on for too many years with mostly the same people and Caroline is no longer the cutting edge of fashion.
Old 08-04-2008, 04:33 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by grevinnan View Post
The most newsworthy person will get most attention. Charlene is the big news - especially as she is by Albert's side for the evening and not walking a few steps behind him and his sisters. Hence, most of the pictures will be of her. Everything else is old hat - the event has been going on for too many years with mostly the same people and Caroline is no longer the cutting edge of fashion.
Sadly I think I agree with this comment. The ball does need some a little tired & needs some fresh faces - particularly amongst the high profile guests. Caroline & Stephanie will always attract interest but inevitably the media will want to focus on younger & newer faces. I guess I'm just disappointed Charlotte didn't show- why do you think she hasn't attended yet?
Old 08-04-2008, 10:43 AM
Heir Presumptive

Maybe the reason is that this event seems a bit more official and regal in comparison to the Rose Ball in which the Ball is all about the theme, and therefore the atmosphere and show is very dynamic and fun. However maybe it's not an excuse because Melanie and her brother have been attending the Red Cross Ball since 2005 every year, Pierre only went in 2006.

I do agree with the fact that new and younger faces (the Casiraghis) have to start attending this event or it will soon start to loose interest. It's really interesting how a lot of us refer to this ball as THE RED CROSS BALL, because in the past it was Monaco's biggest summer event, bigger than the Rose Ball (which nowadays seems more interesting than this Ball), due to the amount of international celebrities that it brought and the top shows. Nowadays we see some, not all, of the Ball's regulars.
Old 08-04-2008, 10:47 AM
Heir Apparent

charlene's dress is lovely. any ideas on who designed it? she looked just great.
http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/
Take some time to sign the petitions @: http://www.thepetitionsite.com/animal-welfare/all
Old 08-04-2008, 10:48 AM
Courtier
TRF Author

This may have come up before but could you clear up the confusion for me ? I understand Princess Caroline is in charge of the Rose Ball and Prince Albert is in charge of the Red Cross Ball. Or is that too simplistic ?
Old 08-04-2008, 11:03 AM
Nobility

I think you are right Iloveroyals and what the Balls need are not a younger element but a more sophisticated one! Victoria and Ivanna? The family is the only draw now and this year they were hardly featured, they barely made it into a few pictures? It is really hard to say what these Ball are really suppose to be about anymore?!
Old 08-04-2008, 11:59 AM
Courtier
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsla View Post
I think you are right Iloveroyals and what the Balls need are not a younger element but a more sophisticated one! Victoria and Ivanna? The family is the only draw now and this year they were hardly featured, they barely made it into a few pictures? It is really hard to say what these Ball are really suppose to be about anymore?!
When you mentioned Victoria, it suddenly fell into place (especially since she seems to be great pals with Albert.) I think they need to gather all the royals of the planet who are interested in the Red Cross and make it the draw for them to gather once a year. Think of all the profits for that agency ! Why, oh why aren't we employed by the Monaco public relations department ? It seems everybody always comes up with fabulous ideas to return Monaco to its former glamour (and therefore touristic destination must) and generate profits for its charities...
Old 08-04-2008, 12:54 PM
Aristocracy

Charlene

Is it me or does Charlene look older than her age? I don't know if it's because of her makeup, hairstyle or both.