The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 04-14-2005, 08:30 AM
Nobility

Yes- this is a private matter. Whatever choices Rainier made, there were likely reasons behind them. We are privvy only to what is public- we have no idea what kind of personal matters (financial and otherwise) have occured behind closed doors. We could speculate until the end of time.....

What we can however assume is that the likelihood of any of the Grimaldi's going bankrupt is slim at best!

Eliza

Old 04-14-2005, 08:31 AM
Courtier

Maybe it is true what some italian newspaper have said about Albert adopting Stephanie's son. So he will be heir to the throne. If that happens to be, then everything will be easier to be understood. In any case, if Stephanie cant handle by herself her private life, it is better that her money (family's money) will be in her siblings' control. I just can't beleive Rainier did this without providing her a way to be at her siblings' level.

Old 04-14-2005, 02:40 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariel
Maybe it is true what some italian newspaper have said about Albert adopting Stephanie's son. So he will be heir to the throne. If that happens to be, then everything will be easier to be understood. In any case, if Stephanie cant handle by herself her private life, it is better that her money (family's money) will be in her siblings' control. I just can't beleive Rainier did this without providing her a way to be at her siblings' level.
From what I hear, should Stephanie only inherit about $30 million, Rainier had instructed Albert to look after Stephanie and her children. I highly doubt that Albert would adopt Stephanie's son as his heir. Should he adopt one of his nephews, I would think it would be Andrea Casiraghi.

Personally, I think Stephanie's inability to stick to a relationship stems from the guilt she feels for living when "everyone wanted her mother to live". However, given her pattern of failing marriages which was probably costly for the Royal Family, it would not be practical to give her such a large sum of money that could (a) potentially bring on more men that were only after money, or (b) that would be spent on future divorce settlements, or (c) that she could squander away.

Although this is purely speculation, this are my predictions for possible reason why Rainier could have left Stephanie so little. Again, any financial inheritance she gets, I'm positive Rainier had his reasons. Plus, it's his money to disperse.
Old 04-15-2005, 08:23 AM
Commoner

And, Have you think that all those rumors of Steph getting less, is just to keep money diggers at bay?. Steph has had a series of relationship that has been bad and nobody knows that if she will change, so i don't think she is getting less or more than her siblings.
I think is a smoke courtain to keep morons at bay, and if PR left Albert the job of overseing Steph money, etc, I think it was a great idea. But my humble opinion everybody got the same.
Old 04-15-2005, 10:29 AM
Administrator

Gold diggers

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropicisland
And, Have you think that all those rumors of Steph getting less, is just to keep money diggers at bay?.
Good point; but whatever Stephanie receives would be enough to attract the undesirables.

And anyone out to get what they could would also have eyes on the family fortune, eg "Pay up Albert, or I'll go to the tabloids." So the amount of Stephanie's inheritance would be irrelevant.

Another of the problems of being rich and famous: Who do you trust?
Old 04-15-2005, 11:47 AM
Aristocracy

Lightbulb

Everyone is saying a different amount on which the three children are getting. But they pretty much have the same sentiment that Stephanie will be getting a lot less than Albert and Caroline. Albert also has land and Caroline is supposedly getting all of her mother's jewerly.

I hope that Rainier didn't do this as a "punishment" but I think he may have had other reasons. The fact that he asked Albert to watch over Stephanie and her children shows that Rainier worried about Stephanie more than any of the other children. While he may have wanted Albert of marry etc.. but Stephanie also suffered the fact that she watched her mother die.

Do I think at times Stephanie has been careless? Yes. Thoughtless of the consequences of her actions? Yes. But I think she has grown up a lot too.
Old 04-15-2005, 11:54 AM
Nobility

Though Stephanie will be getting a whole lot less than her siblings, her father still made sure of the fact that she wpuld be well provided for. After all 17 million pounds shouldn't be too hard to live on for the rest of your life, should it?
Old 04-15-2005, 02:16 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoseMary
Albert also has land and Caroline is supposedly getting all of her mother's jewerly.
Gosh, I hope she doesn't sell it off like she had some of her mother's tiaras. Those deserve to stay within the family, not for financial gain.
Old 04-15-2005, 02:32 PM
Nobility

I agree that the reason (if true) most of Rainier's estate goes to those that directly in line to the throne. If the estate is divided equally, then it becomes diluted...surely not what the family would want? In the past where I grew up when someone with land died they left it all to one person rather than divide the land among the children and reduce its worth. I cannot believe that Rainier leaving Stephanie a reduced sum is a punishment.
Old 07-18-2005, 01:45 AM
Courtier

Just getting back on this thread bec. someone asked about Rainier's will and Stephanie's share just recently.

According to the author the "Once Upon A Time Book" (biography on Rainier and Grace that was published in 2002), Rainier changed his will soon after Stephanie's name was dragged into this murder of a suspected drug dealer. Her car was used by the girlfriend of the said dealer. Steph was willing to be questioned and was subsequently cleared. However, Rainier was said to be very concerned about some of the company that Stephanie keeps that's why he changed his will. It was to protect Steph and the family's wealth from undesirable people who might just take advantage of their connection to Steph and/or the family's wealth.

I don't think he meant it as a punishment for Steph - rather as a protection. The same book also says that according to sources, Rainier was willing to let Steph get hold of the assets intended for her (presumably a larger share than 1%) when she shows "greater maturity."

_________
Monica17
Old 07-18-2005, 04:16 AM
Aristocracy

do you think that the will can damage the relationship between the siblings if steph receives less than albert and caroline? she might feel resentful
Old 07-18-2005, 04:59 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by ailstalia
do you think that the will can damage the relationship between the siblings if steph receives less than albert and caroline? she might feel resentful
Oh, the contents of the will was made public a few days after Rainier died last April. It was said somewhere that a reliable source commented that "there will be arguments." However, not everything in the press can be believed. The family observed a 3-month mourning period so we haven't heard anything about it after the initial news. However, the mourning period has passed and there are no new developments coming from the press about it. Maybe the family is fixing this thing privately or Steph has not contested it. It was said that Albert is supposed to take care of Steph and her children per Rainier's request.

Stephanie and Caroline do not really get along. Both are closer to Albert than to each other. I can't see Steph hating her father bec. of his will. She most likely understands her father's reasons behind it. I also don't think she resents her siblings for it.

_________
Monica17
Old 07-18-2005, 07:30 AM
Aristocracy

I agree, Monica17. Stephanie seems more like the type of person who doesn't have a resentful bone in her body. She seems to be so much a "free spirit" that the material things probably aren't really that important to her in the grand scheme of things.
Old 07-18-2005, 10:25 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreed777
I agree, Monica17. Stephanie seems more like the type of person who doesn't have a resentful bone in her body. She seems to be so much a "free spirit" that the material things probably aren't really that important to her in the grand scheme of things.
I agree. If this is true then Raniner has had this plan for many years giving Stephanie enough time to "digest" it so to speak. I also agree that money, especially large amounts of it, is not of great importance to Stephanie. Her lifestyle doesn't appear to be that lavish and she doesn't strike me as being very materialistic.

I think that Stephanie also stands to inherit a chalet in Switzerland or something like that along with an apartment in New York.
Old 07-18-2005, 10:34 AM
Serene Highness

She may be spiritual but material things are never important until you don't have them...
Old 07-19-2005, 03:12 AM
Courtier

Oh, I agree that Stephanie seems not really fond of living lavishly. She's mostly a t-shirt and jeans person. I remember a feature on her when she was younger - she was said to be wearing an outfit that you can buy off the rack and quite cheap at that. Plus, she was perfectly willing to live in this cramped camper before her dad bought her that princely camper-truck.

BTW, does anyone know who got ownership of Roc Agel? It hasn't been mentioned at all.

_________
Monica17
Old 07-19-2005, 10:22 AM
Serene Highness

Wills are public documents in the US; maybe not in Monaco.
Old 07-21-2005, 03:23 AM
Courtier

Not the head of the country's at any rate!

In the USA, wills are only made public when they have to go through probate. When one of the heirs is executor and things are distributed amicably, there is no legal need for public revelation.
Often rich and famous set up trusts, which are private, and who gets what is never truly known. However, some have sued to get the information. One guy published a book "Wills of the Rich and Famous". Quelle horror!

NotDani
Old 07-08-2007, 01:26 PM
Majesty

was the will ever shown the the public?
Old 07-08-2007, 01:53 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josefine View Post
was the will ever shown the the public?
I thought in most countries in Western Europe, but probably all over the Continent, a testament is strictly private and exclusively revealed, by a notary, a witness (usually a candidate notary or a notary clerk) and the appointed testamentary executor, to the immediate family only.

So, if the late Prince de Monaco has left a testament, this will most likely have been revealed by the notary to the very exclusive group of:
- his son The Prince of Monaco
- his daughter The Princess of Hannover
- his daughter Princess Stéphanie de Monaco
- his sister Princess Antoinette de Monaco, Baroness de Massy