Princess Grace's Legacy

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
She did the normal work that a Princess or royal lady is expected to do. It is part of the traditional royal role particularly for female royals, to promote charities. She had connextions in the US and glamour becuase of her looks and film career, but I would not say that she did more than other royal ladies.

She did the normal work that a Princess or royal lady is expected to do. It is part of the traditional royal role particularly for female royals, to promote charities. She had connextions in the US and glamour becuase of her looks and film career, but I would not say that she did more than other royal ladies.

Did I say she did more than other royal ladies? I said she did a lot for Monaco and charity work implying in Monaco.

Yes but that's what she was expected to do.... Produce heirs, look pretty, do some charity work.....

Yes but that's what she was expected to do.... Produce heirs, look pretty, do some charity work.....

It’s not bad to give someone credit she did a fantastic job and wasn’t average in it. Lol it’s not that serious.

Strange as it may seem, her marriage was more of a contractual affair and, while I believed they were infatuated by each other, I think Kelly's reputation as a perfectly poised, gracious, and elegant woman who was, by necessity, a Catholic and looked like a perfect princess, Ranier was also a fairly good looking Prince.

The crux of the matter is the situation Monaco found itself in after WWII and the marriage itself brought the Hollywood and Philadelphia Society elite to Monaco to see the wedding and to sample the nightlife that Monaco had to offer. Behind this, Grace's biggest gift to Monaco was her (several) million-dollar dowry which did much to regild the somewhat tired facade that was Monaco, among other things.

Her biggest legacy was to enable Monaco to regain its mystique with the "fairytale wedding" complete with its wedding dresses by Helen Rose courtesy of MGM's costume department with the inevitable cachet that it lent to Monaco and the tourism that followed, along with the influx of cold hard cash.

Her biggest legacy was to enable Monaco to regain its mystique with the "fairytale wedding" complete with its wedding dresses by Helen Rose courtesy of MGM's costume department with the inevitable cachet that it lent to Monaco and the tourism that followed, along with the influx of cold hard cash.

And it should not be forgotten, that back then Hollywood stars were like half-gods! They were much more famous and had much more "clout" than today - no satellite-tv or cable or internet back then...

And it should not be forgotten, that back then Hollywood stars were like half-gods! They were much more famous and had much more "clout" than today - no satellite-tv or cable or internet back then...

If I'm not mistaken, Grace Kelly rose to fame as a movie star at the same time that people would go to the local theaters to get the latest news via newsreels (Pathe was a big one, I think) as most people didn't have a television set in their home at the time. In 1955, only half of American homes had a TV set.

What a huge change from then to now eh? Makes me realize just how much of a dinosaur I really am. My TV set as a child had a *huge* cabinet but only a 4 inch screen. :eek:

Strange as it may seem, her marriage was more of a contractual affair and, while I believed they were infatuated by each other, I think Kelly's reputation as a perfectly poised, gracious, and elegant woman who was, by necessity, a Catholic and looked like a perfect princess, Ranier was also a fairly good looking Prince.

The crux of the matter is the situation Monaco found itself in after WWII and the marriage itself brought the Hollywood and Philadelphia Society elite to Monaco to see the wedding and to sample the nightlife that Monaco had to offer. Behind this, Grace's biggest gift to Monaco was her (several) million-dollar dowry which did much to regild the somewhat tired facade that was Monaco, among other things.

“ Her biggest legacy was to enable Monaco to regain its mystique with the "fairytale wedding" complete with its wedding dresses by Helen Rose courtesy of MGM's costume department with the inevitable cachet that it lent to Monaco and the tourism that followed, along with the influx of cold hard cash”

- That’s true her wedding dress still emulated today.

The overwhelming success of the Grace exhibition which went to multiple venues around the world indicates the sustained interest in her. I seem to recall reading a few years back there were plans to open a permanent exhibition of some kind in Monaco. Hope it happens one day. Albert seems keen to maintain her memory in the Principality and beyond.

The overwhelming success of the Grace exhibition which went to multiple venues around the world indicates the sustained interest in her. I seem to recall reading a few years back there were plans to open a permanent exhibition of some kind in Monaco. Hope it happens one day. Albert seems keen to maintain her memory in the Principality and beyond.

Have you read Princess Grace: Princess in Dior book

Yes I have and it’s a lovely addition to my collection.
That’s another interesting aspect to Grace’s legacy - there has been so many biographies, photography and fashion titles published over the years and they continue to be published at a steady rate. I have just purchased Girl in White Gloves which is a fictionalised ‘biography’. Last year there was Meet Me in Monaco, another fiction novel set around the wedding of Grace and Rainier. (I will post further details in the book thread). Grace continues to be a source of fascination to those who were born long after her time.

Yes I have and it’s a lovely addition to my collection.
That’s another interesting aspect to Grace’s legacy - there has been so many biographies, photography and fashion titles published over the years and they continue to be published at a steady rate. I have just purchased Girl in White Gloves which is a fictionalised ‘biography’. Last year there was Meet Me in Monaco, another fiction novel set around the wedding of Grace and Rainier. (I will post further details in the book thread). Grace continues to be a source of fascination to those who were born long after her time.

I purchased the book yesterday so I'm excited to read her relationship with the fashion house Dior! She is a true style/fashion icon!

I think too much is made of the marraige being a contract etc. Rainier's grief was terrible when she died, the footage of him at her funeral makes me cry even today when I watch it. Sure they had their good and bad times as all marraiges do but I think that overall it was no better or worse than a lot of marraiges royal or otherwise. Also, as far as royal marraiges in particular go, there have been many one could point at where the partner marrying in had it suggested to them that it would be a good 'deal' for them but it didn't mean they turned out to be bad marraiges in the long term.

Agree

I think too much is made of the marraige being a contract etc. Rainier's grief was terrible when she died, the footage of him at her funeral makes me cry even today when I watch it. Sure they had their good and bad times as all marraiges do but I think that overall it was no better or worse than a lot of marraiges royal or otherwise. Also, as far as royal marraiges in particular go, there have been many one could point at where the partner marrying in had it suggested to them that it would be a good 'deal' for them but it didn't mean they turned out to be bad marraiges in the long term.

There are certainly good and bad times in a marraige. It must have been so hard for Grace to give up the freedom of being an American. The world of Monaco seems so small.

I agree. I think they had a perfectly normal marriage. I've read that after several years of being somewhat separate Grace and Rainier were closer again in the couple of years before her death. I also disagree with a previous poster who described her as an alcoholic - no evidence other than the words of a couple of over the top gossipy biographers.

I agree. I think they had a perfectly normal marriage. I've read that after several years of being somewhat separate Grace and Rainier were closer again in the couple of years before her death. I also disagree with a previous poster who described her as an alcoholic - no evidence other than the words of a couple of over the top gossipy biographers.

They didn't have a "perfectly normal" marriage. Rainier was royal and had an obligation to marry, and it seems like the marriage was arranged to an extent. They liked each other but once married I think Grace found Monaco and royal life much more difficult than she had expected. She found Rainier controlling and she hoped to be able to do some acting, which would give her a break but it was considered completely impossible for her to do that. So I think that they had affairs, and lived apart at times...but over time, they developed a relationship that was loving if not always side by side...But her sudden death did hurt Rainier a lot....

They didn't have a "perfectly normal" marriage. Rainier was royal and had an obligation to marry, and it seems like the marriage was arranged to an extent. They liked each other but once married I think Grace found Monaco and royal life much more difficult than she had expected. She found Rainier controlling and she hoped to be able to do some acting, which would give her a break but it was considered completely impossible for her to do that. So I think that they had affairs, and lived apart at times...but over time, they developed a relationship that was loving if not always side by side...But her sudden death did hurt Rainier a lot....

Like most woman we chase after the fairytale of being a princess then when reality sets...

Grace did so much for Monaco and was a great princess. To me she was truly the first princess that the world wanted to read and follow. Her impact was HUGE!

They did have a "perfectly normal" marriage. They met (through some manoeuvring of various people), fell in love (whatever love means to quote Prince Charles) and married. Prince Rainier was expected to marry but he didn't have to (he certainly didn't need to marry a celebrated American actress). His sister had three children, his grandfather didn't marry until he was older and had no legitimately born child. The Grimaldis have always found a way to keep the line going.

Do I think life in Monaco was difficult for Grace? Yes, especially at the beginning but she made her mark. Was she sometimes bored/unhappy/frustrated? Yes, but she channelled that into some projects that still exist in Monaco today. Did she envisage a return to acting? Yes. But it wasn't Prince Rainier who stopped that but the reaction of the Monegasques. Was she desperately unhappy throughout her life in Monaco? I don't believe she was - I think she had a lot of satisfaction and contentment plus moments of real happiness. Like most people.

Was Prince Rainier controlling? Never heard that he was in his personal life - moody, given to the occasional explosion of temper, and a workaholic, yes. Also charming, shrewd, practical and with a great sense of humour. I've read and heard anecdotes that Princess Grace knew how to stand her ground when she needed to.

Did they have affairs? Don't know - they may have done. There is no proof only rumours some of which are beyond ridiculously wild.

Grace and Rainier had children, worked together on the Monaco "project", had a few years of not living together all the time plus a couple of years of renewed closeness. Prince Rainier was clearly grief stricken after her death. Their personal circumstances weren't normal, they were very privileged and successful people of status, the story and marriage seem like many others to me, a "normal marriage".

Grace's Charitable Work

Princess Grace was the ambassador of Monaco. She dedicated her public life to charities, funds, and awareness to the less fortunate. She was respectful to everyone. She established foundations, hospitals, and orphanages for financial assistance and supplies.

She held charity balls to support her many charity activities. She was named President of the Monaco Red Cross in 1958. Hollywood stars such as Cary Grant, Frank Sinatra and Gregory Peck were regular attendees to the Monaco Red Cross Gala and the Rose Ball. After her marriage, Princess Grace established many charities; she was a genuine humanitarian and philanthropist.

"During Christmas time she would personally distributed “care” packages through the charities' social services branch and under her inspired leadership, the Monaco chapter became one of the most active of all the International Federation of Red Cross Societies."(Beyond Grace Kelly - Children & Legacy)

That year in September, she opened the Princess Grace Hospital. She would come and visit new mothers in the hospital's maternity ward and patients in the children's ward. She would also come and visit local residents of Monaco's retirement homes. In 1966, Grace established Monaco's first daycare center. Mothers with young children had more free time to earn a career outside of their homes. Grace would visit the children and spend time reading, singing, and playing. She donated toys as well.

"Genuine concern for the welfare of children led to her founding, in 1963, of AMADE – to promote and protect the rights of children from around the world – an important mission that continues today under the presidency of her daughter, The Princess of Hanover.

In 1964, she and Prince Rainier established La Fondation Princesse Grace, which initially supported two activities close to her heart; the Princess Grace Dance Academy, set up to honor her love of dance, and Les Boutiques du Rocher (stores where handcrafts by local artisans are sold), which promotes the arts and crafts of the Monégasque people. The activities of the Foundation, now under the presidency of The Princess of Hanover, now also include providing support to hospitalized children, the modernization of hospitals in developing countries and financial aid for medical research.

Grace’s support for worthwhile causes was not limited to charitable endeavors; indeed her patronage of artistic pursuits is well documented. In 1966, she initiated the International Monte-Carlo Ballets Festival, which is known today as the Spring Arts Festival – an annual gathering of the world’s leading dancers, musicians, and artists who perform to much acclaim in the Principality. In 1968, her love of flowers and gardening resulted in the creation of the Monaco Garden Club, encouraging awareness and education of artistry through plants and flowers as well as the protection of natural sites. The club runs a popular annual international floral competition in the Principality. In 1981, following a renovation which she oversaw, the former Salle des Beaux-Arts was renamed Theatre Princesse Grace."(Beyond Grace Kelly - Children & Legacy)

When Princess Grace passed away, Prince Rainier and his family established the Princess Grace Foundation - USA in honor of Princess Grace, by assisting young artists with their career goals in the USA. It was to continue her lasting legacy. The foundation has awarded more than 4 million dollars to 400+ young artists and more than 100 institutions nationwide.

Okay she married into nobility not royalty Monaco is a principality not a kingdom.
Her legacy is a great one she wanted to help as much as could while she was on
this earth not too many people want to do that.

I definitely still think of the Grimaldi as royal because they are Highnesses and Princes and Princesses etc.

I definitely still think of the Grimaldi as royal because they are Highnesses and Princes and Princesses etc.

I agree. No one unless your a staunch royal follower will differentiate the two. I definitely think of them as royalty even if they are Serene Highnesses. No offense, along with Liechtenstein, they actually rule the country and not just figureheads.

Back
Top Bottom