Princess Antoinette has Died - March 18, 2011

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My deepest condolences to her children, her nephew Prince Albert and nieces Princesses Caroline and Stephanie. And to everyone that loved and cared for her! Rest in peace :flowers:

The Princess("Tiny") lived quite a full and colorful life and she lived it-as Jaya already posted-on her own terms.

The last time I saw a photo of her she looked quite frail. She was the last one remaining of her birth family, wasn't she?

My condolences to the Princely family and to all her friends..may she REST IN PEACE.

A thing that endeared me to her was her love for the animals, we shared this love. From what we can see she was a lovely lady !

Yes, all the Grimaldis are animal lovers,and I remember reading that Princess Antoinette's dogs had full run of her home!

She lived a long amazing life, born during the last years of her grandfather's reign, she watched her father, brother and now the first years of her nephew's reign. The stories I am sure she could have told. At least Caroline and Stephanie have children alive and old enough they could have heard some of these stories.

Her love for animals, president of the society for the protection of animals, is definitely something I respected about her.

My condolences

My condolences to the all the members of the Grimaldi family.
May she rest in peace.That's the way for all us one day.

My deepest condolence. It is sad news.

Such sad news... The end of an era.... may Princess Antoinette rest in peace.
I believe the interment is to take place in the Chapelle de la Paix, it's where her father Prince Pierre and Stefano are burried. I wonder if there will be coverage of the funeral service....

It is sad news for the family, but I think it is good news for a woman who lived 90 years, was suffering from many conditions apparently (maybe even cancer, though we don't know?) and was probably tired, ready to go and join her brother, parents, and friends of her own generation in peace forever. RIPF. I am working on the obituary for the TRF blog at this moment. I hope to have it completed very soon. It's a very interesting life to write about.

Such sad news... The end of an era.... may Princess Antoinette rest in peace.
I believe the interment is to take place in the Chapelle de la Paix, it's where her father Prince Pierre and Stefano are burried. I wonder if there will be coverage of the funeral service....

I believe her daughter Christine Alix is also buried there.

It really is the end of an era for the Princely family.
I didn't expect this now, she was still looking good en strong at the Ladies Lunch in january.

I believe her daughter Christine Alix is also buried there.

It really is the end of an era for the Princely family.
I didn't expect this now, she was still looking good en strong at the Ladies Lunch in january.

Yes, sadly, due to her age, it was bound to happen sooner or later, but one never really expects such things to happen and never really feels «prepared» to cope with them when they finaly happen. It's always a blow.... As to the funeral, i read in one of the posts ( sorry i don't remember wich ) that P. Antoinnete will be buried in the « most strcit intimacy », so i guess there will be no reporters present at the event. Maybe, they'll be present at the religious ceremonies, will see. But i feel so bad when i come to think of «photos», and «articles», i feel like a shameless voyeur invading the family's privacy... :easter:

Tomorrow is the Mass, I think, and there could be some few photos in the usual French magazines (nice matin, Paris match, le parisien) photos from the procession of the casket from the cathedral to the Chapelle de la Paix, but beyond that, probably not much. The statement from the palace said the Mass was to be a time for the Monegasques to participate in the mourning, but then the buriel in the chapel was to be strictly private. Just like usual. Public mass, private buriel. I think there will be some AP photos. We will see some images on Getty. But absolutely nothing more invasive than that. I predict some minimal and tasteful media coverage, as befitting a minimalist, tasteful, lowkey princess.

I read in Nice Matin that the burial will take place in strictest privacy, meaning there will be no media at all.

Both Grace and Rainier had televised funerals, with interrment(in the Cathedral) limited to family members only.

La Chapelle de la Paix is the family's private mausoleum, I don't think they even allow tourists.

I agree with the poster who said it is very sad for her family and people who loved her, but it is not a "tragedy" to live to be 90 and to have had such a full life..it is quite a blessing.

Last edited:
I wonder if there will be any Royal guests at the funeral of Princess Antoinette?

I know that she has had a storied past, and at many times not on speaking terms with certain members of her family. Had all the fences been mended by the time she past?
Funny that I have her son's book sitting on my shelf waiting to be read next.

I just now read online that thanks to Princess Antoinette no strays are ever euthanised in the Principality...and it's probably the only place on the planet where ambulances arrive to pick up dogs that have been hit by cars in the street!:ROFLMAO:

This alone is enough to make me a fan of hers for life!

I just now read online that thanks to Princess Antoinette no strays are ever euthanised in the Principality...and it's probably the only place on the planet where ambulances arrive to pick up dogs that have been hit by cars in the street!:ROFLMAO:

And there goes two with me Moonmaiden! Animals lost a great friend. I hope someone of the family pursues her work in the future...
:corgi: :corgi: :corgi:

That's so cool!!! I'm a fan of her now!! She was awesome!

So am I now... what a wonderful lady ! I really hope someone in the RF continue her work !:flowers::flowers::flowers::flowers::flowers:

So am I now... what a wonderful lady ! I really hope someone in the RF continue her work !:flowers::flowers::flowers::flowers::flowers:

It might be nice for someone like Charlotte the equestrian, to take on. I do hope someone continues it. The true way to honor her memory, is not to mourn in a church, but to carry on the amazing work she has done in her life.

And also Bunte report...

Fürst Albert: Seine geliebte Tante ist gestorben! - BUNTE

:crown4: :crown4: :crown4:

Here goes a Google translation of Bunte magazine german article:

Sad news just before the wedding: Prince Albert's aunt Princess Antoinette died at the age of 90. In difficult times it is now his fiancee at Charlene!

Monaco display all looking forward to the upcoming dream wedding in July by Prince Albert II (53) and his fiancee Charlene Wittstock (33). But now overshadowed a terrible event, the anticipation, black flags are hoisted throughout the Principality, Princess Antoinette, Albert's beloved aunt died at the age of 90. A spokeswoman told the principality, according to the news agency dpa, the sister of the late ruler Rainier III. is different after a long illness in hospital.

The death of Antoinette Louise Alberte Suzanne Grimaldi puts the Principality of Monaco in deep mourning: The Paris-born noblewoman was popular, was active for many years for Monaco's Animal Protection Association. The princess has a past behind her. She was married three times, most recently with the British ballet dancer John Gilpin, who died suddenly six weeks after the wedding in 1983.
Princess Antoinette is survived by her two children and her nephew Prince Albert of infinite sadness. Just four months before the upcoming dream wedding is the death notice a terrible shock for the Monegasques. At least Albert must endure the pain alone - his fiancee Charlene Wittstock is in the safe when, in good times and bad ...

Remember guys... it's an automatic translation... Mistakes are, therefore, exclusable!
:sceptre: :sceptre: :sceptre:

Last edited by a moderator:
Here goes a Google translation of Bunte magazine german article:

(..)

Yes I hope mistakes are made especially the part 'At least Albert must endure the pain alone- his fiance Charlene Wittstock in in the safe, when in good times and bad....' makes it sound like he was worried she'd run away before the wedding, and he locked her up in a bank vault to ensure she'd not run away. It might be a bit lonely for him, and her, if he did that.

Yes I hope mistakes are made especially the part 'At least Albert must endure the pain alone- his fiance Charlene Wittstock in in the safe, when in good times and bad....' makes it sound like he was worried she'd run away before the wedding, and he locked her up in a bank vault to ensure she'd not run away. It might be a bit lonely for him, and her, if he did that.

You are so right Melissadrian... :lol: :lol: :lol: And yes, you can blame it on Google. Next time i'll try to translate articles myself.

The death of the princess is painful and sad for her family-particularly coming as close as it does to PA's wedding in July.

But I doubt it is the "terrible shock" for Monaco or for the family that Bunte describes it as...Princess Antoinette was 90 and had been in failing health for quite a long time!:sad:

Maria Olivia...your message is very tender, but Caroline has 4 children: Stefano, Charlotte, Pierre, and Alexandra.
May Antoinette rest in peace.

Stefano was her husband; Andrea is her oldest son.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom