Prince Albert's achievements

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

paca

Serene Highness
City
Country
France
I would like to start this thread to get a clearer picture of what PA has already achieved in this past year and see how he follows up on his vision. Every elected head of state has to face after 100 days a first scrutiny ad I don't see why PA should be treated any different. He has had ample time to get settled in his office. Also I feel that in the current event threads we have often little unimportant bits and pieces, private stuff etc. I would like to limit this thread to his work as a head of state so we can have a clearer picture of him in his role. Some of what will be posted here might have been posted in other threads, as it is als part of current events occasionally, though I think in this thread we could maybe discuss the impact of his actions on MC as well.

To remind us all of the goals PA has set for himself and MC I will post the second part of his speech in July. I believe he should be measure with his own words. So if you find interviews where he talks about his vision and then interviews, where he seems to have changed his mind, I would like you to post them here as well. I believe PA has set himself high standards and I would like to see, whether he will be able to live up to them.

Here is the excerpt of his speech:

It is my intention that the actions I shall take will correspond to a continuation of the policies of my ancestors. Such continuity is only natural since Prince Rainier III formed and prepared me from an early age for these functions which I have already exercised in His name when his state of health no longer enabled him to assume the same.

Continuity does not however mean immobility.

I shall embark with all my force on the pursuance and success of the great projects that he supervised on daily basis; projects in the main turned towards the development of Monaco.

But not any kind of development.

To produce wealth is essential, but in my view this aspect alone is not sufficient. It is also important that the development of Monaco is harmonious and in the interests of all.

The key to the development of a country is it capacity, with its strengths and weaknesses, to look to the future and imagine all the actions necessary to achieve a set goal.

Monaco's geographical constraints, its size, its position on the Mediterranean coast, birth place of so many civilizations, its enclosed position in one of the founding members of the European Union – France with whom, I insist, we have an excellent friendship, - must be taken into account and clearly mean that Monaco has a vocation to embrace other cultures.

Should this be forgotten, the European and American origins of my family are there to remind us.
In order for us to develop, we should adopt the famous adage of the no less famous Greek philosopher Socrate «Know yourself ». First of all therefore, I would like to evoke who we are before describing what we would like to become.

We are a community with its own values, which are similar to those of our neighbors but which have a special combination which sets us apart.

We come from Liguria and Genoa. We are the children of Greece, Rome and Christendom: our catholic, apostolic and roman State religion is there to remind us.

We adhere to the principles of Human Rights, fruit of the philosophical reflections of the age of Enlightenment of our French neighbors and friends and the countless reforms and improvements made by the European leaders to the functioning of the constitutional states and supranational institutions.

We believe in both material progress but also in spiritual progress.

We are supporters of free enterprise in the economic sector, a system which creates wealth.

We also believe in the virtues of solidarity towards those who do not have the necessary learning, know how or personal ability needed to take the risks, to gain the autonomy and assume the responsibility which modern life implies.

Our role is also to promote social justice which is absolutely essential.

Monaco subscribes, as does the European Union, to the concept of a social market economy.
We believe in the team made up of the innovator and the entrepreneur which enables progress in all its forms.

If we do not respect these fundamental values, we cannot envisage progress.

Who are we?

A community which has been capable of transforming a few tourist assets very well known into numerous business activities such as a hotel and leisure industry which has given birth to a series of events and festivals, very often recognized throughout the world and realized with a care aiming at excellence.

In Monaco we offer an atmosphere of well being that numerous residents and foreign visitors come to share with us.

However at the beginning of this 21st century, Monaco can no longer limit itself to these activities alone and I would like to announce to you the major orientations that I intend to drive.

In Monaco high quality industrial, real estate, commercial and service industries are already present and are perfectly placed on a world wide level.

Without space, we cannot consider developing our industrial activity – albeit very active and profitable - beyond the realms of reasonableness.

There remains of course the possibility to increase and develop strong valued added activities which concern not only industry but also the intellectual domain and its creativity and innovation.
We have already developed significant areas of activity in the service and advisory industries and in the banking world, but these are still not sufficiently widely known outside Monaco.

We are going to continue to promote these activities. But we need to go further with a real enterprising mind and this is my driving force.

It is my firm intention to contribute towards making Monaco one of the world poles in financial engineering, by adding management skills to the already renowned banking skills. Monaco must develop state of the art know how in this domain to render our private equity pole capable of operating efficiently on all markets. Our talents in this domain exist but are still insufficient in number.

We must encourage exceptional education and develop existing networks so that Monaco becomes one of the world leaders on the financial markets.

I intend however that ethics remain the backdrop for all the actions of the Monegasque authorities. Ethics are not divisible. Money and virtue must be combined permanently. The importance of Monaco's financial market will require extreme vigilance to avoid the development of the type of financial activities which are not welcome in our country. To avoid such deviance; Monaco must function in harmony with all those organizations who share the same aim. Monaco must therefore respect the requirements of FAFT-GAFI (Financial Action Task Force on Money Laundering) and the tax authorities and in particular the French and American tax authorities, and respect all the other good practices in the control of financial flows.

In another domain, as you know, I am a strong conservationist. This forms part of a tradition marked by my ancestors who illustrated this tradition by their numerous actions : the creation of the Oceanographic Museum, the Museum of prehistoric anthropology and the "Jardin Exotique", the promotion of maritime law trough the signature of the RAMOGE Agreement for the protection of the Mediterranean sea.

On the occasion of the 100 year celebration of the polar expeditions of my great great grandfather, Prince Albert I, this month I will accompany experts from W.W.F., the Oceanographic Museum and "A.I.E.A." on an exploratory mission to Spitzberg.

Lessons will be drawn from our observations which should help us to better understand the reality of the climatic changes and their consequences on animal and plant life so that one day we can find concrete solutions thereto.

This collective will to preserve the environment must be one of the contributions of our country to the international community. I wish, of course, that our expertise in this domain be of benefit to us all through the various cooperation projects with other countries, including those in the Mediterranean zone.

Monaco must be a model country that respects nature. Few "City – State " can pride themselves on having 20% of their territory comprised of gardens and parks. We live this reality every day and I am very proud that this is the case and I am sure that you share in this satisfaction with me.

But Nature also needs man.

From this point of view, Monaco, which does not dispose of sources of energy or raw materials but which has succeeded a remarkable development in spite of this, has many resources.

Monegasques are people of quality. These qualities will be developed even further as I will put the accent on knowledge, know how, imagination and the extraordinary power of thought.

I will do what is necessary, in particular by organizing symposiums and think tank seminars which will have a great impact. They will bring to us not only additional intellectual resources to those we already possess but they will also make our country a real thought forum on the major subjects and preoccupations of the contemporary world.

I will encourage researchers, universities, entrepreneurs and , why not, American, Asian and European investors to set up business in our country. In Monaco they will benefit from optimal conditions for the development of their activities. The wealth thus created will be shared by all.
These newcomers know that the economic environment of Monaco is propitious to success and that all opportunities are open.

A country's future is its youth. I would like to mobilize the youth of Monaco by giving them the means to train to the highest levels, to have access to highly skilled jobs and by providing sources of personal enrichment through culture and sport.

But I also ask our youth to show their willingness to work, to surpass themselves, to have ambition, to forge their experience abroad in order to better contribute to the interests of our country when the time comes.

In line with the encouragements of Theodore Roosevelt, " far better it is to dare mighty things than to rank with those poor spirits that knows not victory nor defeat".

He signed the Kyoto Treaty. I will look for the news article.

In another domain also, I am convinced that what sets our European continent apart, is the incredible richness of its creations in all domains (music, art, literature,…) Beethoven, Picasso, Victor Hugo, Leonardo de Vinci, Cervantes, Monet, Goethe, Descartes, Shakespeare, Van Gogh, Pascal are our icons. They talk of a Europe which guides modern thought, source of the Renaissance, of the Romantic movement and the Impressionists.

Monaco has for a long time already positioned itself as an extraordinary place of creativity: its festivals, ballets; its opera, its philharmonic orchestra, its variety of artistic shows, are of excellent quality. They contribute to forging our identity. The means dedicated to culture in Monaco have reached an extraordinary level : around 6,5% of the State budget. This is indicative of our wish to be a major player in the cultural development of Europe and beyond.

To illustrate this, I recall our decision to open our new National Museum of the Arts in the future.
Even if the productions of the mind are essential, the development of physical activities is, in my view, just as important.

Monaco is therefore also, and my role in this matter is a secret for no one, one of the Mecca's of contemporary sport. Sport is today indispensable to and in dissociable from the progress of any country. I am particularly and personally implicated in this activity. Our Grand Prix motor race, our Rally, our Tennis Open, our athletic meetings and swimming events and the exploits of AS Monaco are known worldwide.

We are also going to open a new centre for sport medicine: l'IMSS, l'Institut Monégasque des Sciences du Sport. This centre is a reflection of our determination to become a reference in this field in the same way as for those other health sectors in which we are already established, in particular in the Cardio–Thoracic centre and the Princess Grace hospital centre.

"Last night I had a dream…"

You remember no doubt this phrase of the Nobel Peace Prize Martin Luther King who started his founding speech on racial equality in this way.

I too have a dream. For a long time, I have dreamt of a country that would function as a model in all aspects.

A country generating models: a model of life; a model of development, a model of well being, a model of peace.

I draw your attention to the fact that I do not dream of a peace founded on the concept of neutrality. Can one be neutral when one has to decide between good and evil, freedom and subservience ? This utopia become reality could be our country: a country which would create all the material and spiritual conditions for the finding of happiness.

One should never forget that tomorrow's reality is often made of up of yesterday's pipe dreams which have finally been realized.

For Monaco and its inhabitants, I wish for a model society and a society model.

The chief of the Lakota Nation, "Black Elk" said "The second peace is the one that creates itself between two individuals, the third one is the one that unites two nations. However it is necessary to understand that peace will not be possible between nations until one is convinced that true peace is located to the heart of a human being".

I am certain that in our universe which aspires to peace, the size of the territory is no longer a factor of weakness.

As Prince Rainer said "remember, it is not necessary to be a big country to have big dreams nor to have a large population to make them come true".

I am therefore convinced that Monaco in its own way can become a major power: a combination of a vision of the world turned towards progress and well being and the implementation of activities for the protection of the environment, for the struggle for peace, the respect of justice, for sustainable development, for the protection of the underprivileged, and for the implementation of actions for a fairer and more harmonious world.

Our power must, before all things, be an ethical power – a model of power. That of a country in which the wealth created is above all the fruit of labour and innovation; a country where a part of this wealth contributes to a better world : 4% of our state budget is profitable to humanitarian and social projects overseas, specially in Africa.

I also intend to ensure that Monaco ratifies the Kyoto Protocol as soon as possible.

It is a duty for each human being and for each community to adhere to the terms of this protocol, so essential for sustainable development. This is not only a moral necessity but it is also a realistic necessity.

By way of conclusion, it is necessary that all Monegasques and all Monegasque residents participate in our ambitious project. Monaco, outward looking, can contribute to a better universe. We have the material, intellectual and spiritual means. In this domain, Monaco has as much power as any other community and our country can in this way be the bearer of a strong message – intelligence and reactivity to serve humanity.

This is the meaning that I wish to give to my action. And it is only on relying on our values of simplicity, sense of duty, work and solidarity that we will achieve the world of peace, justice and progress to which each Monegasque legitimately must aspire.

No great thing can be accomplished without the implication of all. For this reason, I count on each of you. I call upon the sense of collective responsibility of all Monegasques. Remember that in a constitutional state, each right has a corresponding duty. Monegasques benefit from numerous privileges. They must therefore through their personal conduct, each day merit their advantages which are almost unique in the world.

If we are to subscribe to the vision that I have just described, its success requires total implication. We can only succeed by all uniting together. As said the great poet :

"Unless it keeps together any force is weak".
Long Live the Monegasque's family.

From my immediate knowledge he has made some improvements for children living in MC ad he is also seeing that the situation for disabled people will change. We have now a busline with a hostess who will assist people in wheelchairs (unfortunately it doesn't run very often and is not one of the busiest lines). they have given out 100 wheelchairs as well. Yes he has signed the treaty, but in contrast to this stands the fact that MC has an inciniary plant which is substandard and will not be closed before 2020 to warrant the millions that have been invested to modernize it (it was clear already then that it would not be possible to ever bring this plant up to standard and PA is very well aware of it. There is a petition of the habitants of Fontvielle who complain about nasty fumes especially on the weekends which makes it impossible for them to move outside).

THis is an interview with a high administrator who is leaving MC ad talks about his work there:

Interview with Philippe Deslandes 27.03.06 MC Matin

“Prince Rainier had a great ability of anticipation.”

P. D., 60, is leaving MC coming April 10. Direction to the region Champagne-Ardenne, where he will take the function of the prefect. Before leaving his seat as advisor to the government for interior affairs, he evokes his relations with the palace.

Which of the events in the during the last 8 years in the princes government?
The death of the prince und the organization of the funeral, in regards to the security as well as the emotions. Also the ascension to the throne of Albert II ad the discovering of the Formula 1 Grand Prix.

Which Monegasque personality will you keep in your memory?
(Silence and a little smile as if to say: in your opinion) Prince Rainier, for whom I had a lot of pleasure to work for and who had a great ability of anticipation. With him, I had a different complicity. He loved life and funny stories.

Your best memory with the deceased prince?
That was in July 2004 at private lunch in the palace. The only one. One day, in his private apartments, he commented on the collages of PG with tears in his eyes.

No private dinner with the new prince?
Not yet…PA kept his Olympic responsibilities, and has already effected a lot of official journeys, a very busy schedule.

How do the dossiers circulate between the ministry of state and the palace?
The prince does not have the same work methods as his father. My relations with him are very good. The treatment of the dossiers is done by intermession of Jean-Luc Allavena, the director of the prince’s cabinet. After the nomination of the cabinet, there was a time of adaptation necessary. But now it is working.

What are you keeping of the principality and its nationals?
It is a land of exception. I was amazed to see so many people with diplomas and cultivated among the 7000 Monegasques. Undoubtedly a success of the national education.

Evidently, you carry MC in your heart… do you have anything to criticize?
MC is a land of rumors. When they are around, there is bad climate. That is regrettable.

Other then that it is a pity that the administration is so closed. Here the bureaucrats are not in the habit of picking up the phone. They transmit the dossier.
There is at the moment a thinking about modernizing the MC admin going on.

Do you have a regret?
I am absolutely convinced that one could work together much better. In the humanitarian domain for example, the associations could start programs in synergy to have more weight. That would give MC a beautiful image.

How does the transmission of the dossiers work with your successor?
The prince has not yet announced the name of the future advisor. As for me, I will try to finish as much as possible before I leave.

Last edited:
Not yet…PA kept his Olympic responsibilities, and has already effected a lot of official journeys, a very busy schedule

We must give credit to PA--pictures and articles did show that he was busy with 2006 Olympic activities. Too bad it caused him to miss a meal with this very distinguished gentleman...
A ruler must set his priorities..

teense said:
Not yet…PA kept his Olympic responsibilities, and has already effected a lot of official journeys, a very busy schedule

We must give credit to PA--pictures and articles did show that he was busy with 2006 Olympic activities. Too bad it caused him to miss a meal with this very distinguished gentleman...
A ruler must set his priorities..

haha nice tongue in cheek comment ;)

Thanks for putting this together paca! It will be interesting to see if Albert follows up on this.

Ann

ETA Removed out-of-date information

Last edited:
paca said:
THis is an interview with a high administrator who is leaving MC ad talks about his work there:

Interview with Philippe Deslandes 27.03.06 MC Matin

What are you keeping of the principality and its nationals?
It is a land of exception. I was amazed to see so many people with diplomas and cultivated among the 7000 Monegasques. Undoubtedly a success of the national education.

Evidently, you carry MC in your heart… do you have anything to criticize?
MC is a land of rumors. When they are around, there is bad climate. That is regrettable.

Other then that it is a pity that the administration is so closed. Here the bureaucrats are not in the habit of picking up the phone. They transmit the dossier.
There is at the moment a thinking about modernizing the MC admin going on.

Do you have a regret?
I am absolutely convinced that one could work together much better. In the humanitarian domain for example, the associations could start programs in synergy to have more weight. That would give MC a beautiful image.

I think the above three statements are possible jabs at Ms. Wittstock. I do not think it is by accident that Mr. Deslandes chose to speak about 1) rumors setting a bad climate, 2) praising Monaco for having so many cultivated people with diplomas, and 3) wanting to set a good image for Monaco by doing more humantarian work.

I know this is speculation, but Mr. Deslands probably knows more about the seriousness of Albert's relationship with Charlene. I would not be suprised if Albert told his advisors about any plans he may have for marriage. Perhaps he may have wanted Albert to inform his subjects about his status with Charlene, especially since rumors are running rampart in Europe and South Africa. These rumors probably are setting a bad climate in Monaco. As for his mentioning of diplomas and cultivation, I really believe that this was not some random thought. I believe that this is directed towards Charlene. Does anyone even know if Charlene even finished high school?

By Albert not taking her to the Rose Ball but choosing to take her out in public to a Parisian cabaret club, shows disrespect towards her. I know Charlene is probably not feeling disrespected since in the Paris Match interview she stated she loves to travel. And, she has been traveling in style with Albert. Albert values his privacy, so he probably does not want people interfering in his private life (who does?). But people in Monaco probably have already seen the Olympics and Maldives pictures. So now he should try to show her in a more positive light.

I know there is a wide range of opinions about Charlene in this forum, but do you think that she gives Monaco a beautiful image?

Last edited:
Suonymona said:
Feel free to delete this but paca, the term is "deceased". I wouldn't want anyone to think of Rainier as having a disease.

Thanks for putting this together though. It will be interesting to see if Albert follows up on this.

Ann
Thnx, change has been made.

MyAdia said:
I think the above three statements are possible jabs at Ms. Wittstock. I do not think it is by accident that Mr. Deslandes chose to speak about 1) rumors setting a bad climate, 2) praising Monaco for having so many cultivated people with diplomas, and 3) wanting to set a good image for Monaco by doing more humantarian work.

I know this is speculation, but Mr. Deslands probably knows more about the seriousness of Albert's relationship with Charlene. I would not be suprised if Albert told his advisors about any plans he may have for marriage. Perhaps may have wanted Albert to inform his subjects about his status with Charlene especially since rumors are running rampart in Europe and South Africa. These rumors probably are setting a bad climate in Monaco. As for his mentioning of diplomas and cultivation, I really believe that this was not some random thought. I believe that this is directed towards Charlene. Does anyone even know if Charlene even finished high school?

By Albert not taking her to the Monaco's Rose Ball but choosing to take her out in public to a Parisian cabaret club, shows disrespect towards her (I know Charlene is probably not feeling disrespect since in the Paris Match interview she stated she loves to travel. And, she has been traveling in style with Albert). Albert values his privacy so he probably doesn't want people interfering in his private life, but people in Monaco probably have already seen the Olympics and Maldives pictures. So now he should try to show her in a more positive light.

I know there is a wide range of opinions about Charlene in this forum, but do you think that she gives Monaco a beautiful image?
I agree with you that he obviously voices his opinion about recent press about MC here (also in his sarcastic remark about PAs olympic duties) ad since I had not heard about him leaving before, I was wondering whether this was maybe a result of a disagreement between PA and him about it. But I would like to limit this thread to its impact on MC and not on his private life. You are free to copy and comment on this in the CW or wife thread, but I wouldn't want this muddled up in here, which would defeat the purpose of this thread which is supposed to be about PAs achievements (or failures).

Last edited:
(I've also posted this on the CW thread.)

I have to say I agree with Paca's interpretation. M. Deslandes is obviously the consumate politician and diplomat so his remarks can be interpreted on many different levels. I would have liked to see the article in French because I'm sure M. Deslandes chose his words carefully and I bet his choices were fraught with meaning. I have to wonder, however, if his remarks and his resignation could be taken b/c there are preps going on vis-a-vis CW? He is obviously very critical of PA's spectacle at the Olympics and with his two+ week stay in Italy and then within the month the rendez-vous in The Maldives with the trip to Switzerland and London in between. Now PA plans to be gone for most of April in either the Arctic or in South Africa; probably feels that M. Allavena is running MC, not PA.

As for his remarks regarding education, that may be directed toward not only CW but also many of PA's other gf's and friends. There seems to be a preponderance of actresses, celebutantes, rock stars, etc. and not what he believes are suitable influences (of the romantic type and otherwise). PA did mention in his July speech that he did want to focus more on higher ed and perhaps expand programs for visiting students from abroad. (I would have welcomed that in college -- let's face it, Paris in January is cold, damp, and miserable.) M. Deslandes probably feels that you have to have a certain sense of history in order to be truly forward looking -- as it is often said (I forget by whom -- I believe Churchill), those who ignore the past are destined to repeat it. He probably views many of the people in PA's circle as only caring about the moment.

I don't think he much likes Albert's management style as well. I wouldn't have thought that Rainier would have a more open management style, but apparently he did. Several presidents use the model where cabinet members are channeled through the chief of staff and rarely have face time with the president. There are pros and cons to this -- it allows for the chief executive to have information sorted through a trusted confidant so he can have pertinent information and make decisions more readily or it can let the chief of staff set the agenda and only let through what information he/she wants the chief executive to act upon. The latter format would allow the rumors to surface -- no one knows what is going on and wild speculation emerges. This could be the case particularly if PA is guarding his privacy and therefore is trying to shield himself from too many influences.

I liked the part where M. Deslandes talked about MC becoming a center for humanitarian causes. The arts and many humanitarian causes have flourished under Grace's, and now Caroline's care, but he sees an unfulfilled destiny. MC is a wealthy, small, neutral nation -- the influence it could wield on certain world affairs could be quite potent. A society will much longer be remembered for the benefits and largesse toward others. U.S. history is littered with shameful incidents, but I like to think that the work Eleanor Roosevelt did with the Committee on Human Rights and the Marshall Plan were part of our finest hour. I think M. Deslandes feels that Monaco could fill a role that many other nations (mine included) are hestiant to accept.

Whether CW forced all of this to a head, no one on the outside will ever know but I'm sure she is probably the final straw that convinced him to resign. Like many of the CP's in Europe, their choice of a wife either could either make them or break them. De Toqueville believed that the America was made on the strength of the character of its women; when considering the true partnership that Grace & Rainier had, I wonder if the same could not hold true for Monaco?

http://www.iol.co.za/index.php?set_id=1&click_id=3&art_id=qw1143466924741B255

I think this trial will be very interesting to follow as many high gov. officials will be called to the bar. Among them M. Biancheri, whose resignation recently refused. (also sth that should be followed up, since it casts a light on how serious he is about moral. I am not quite filled in with the details in that case, but IMO he shouldn't have refused, but asked for his resignation. There shouldn't be the slightest doubt about the integrity of gov. members, especially since justice has had a seeing eye in MC in the past.....)

IMO Mr Biancheri is resigning because of this trial, and does not want to cast a bad light on PA's gov.

However we (mea culpa) have been focusing on CW like the wrong "influence" or "person" for this relationship, but she is not to blame. Is PA's responsability to bring the right person to the palace, the ladies that he choses are just the reflection of what is he looking for. Is quite difficult to understand that a 50 yo still goes like is the 2nd fiddler and not the actual kahuna, he acts like there are no consecuences to his actions, and then tried to fix them with a lawsuit. Lately, his behavior make me think, that PR saw all this in PA, and thats why he was reluctant to abdicate. With the amount of $ and power concentrate in Monaco, you can not be a wimp to rule it. NOT calling PA a wimp, but his choices are showing a very weak leader, if he wants to be a leader.:confused:

paca, thanks for starting this thread. I'm deeply interested the governance and politics, regardless of nations, but particularily of Monaco right now. I'm curious about how his dual nature - child of both the United States and European traditions - will influence the direction of Monaco. I've been seeing your frustration with what appears his lack of interest in Monaco and I'm wondering if that feeling is widespread in Monaco. Historically speaking, the ruling Princes of Monaco haven't spent a great deal of time in the country - Prince Rainier was an exception. Is it necessary for the reigning Prince to be there at all times or is it possible that this is just what people have to come expect?

Also, thanks for the translation of the speech. I'm curious - do you know who wrote it? This speech doesn't really say much of anything. It is not a blue-print of where the Prince intends to take Monaco, but just a general overview. There are some solid points, but mostly it's ephemeral.

It is my firm intention to contribute towards making Monaco one of the world poles in financial engineering, by adding management skills to the already renowned banking skills. Monaco must develop state of the art know how in this domain to render our private equity pole capable of operating efficiently on all markets. Our talents in this domain exist but are still insufficient in number.

I'm an accountant and programmer, so this intriqued me on several levels. I'm not sure where he's going with this thought process however. A stock exchange? Private asset management (which Monaco already does)? Humanitarian asset management? His next sentenance:

We must encourage exceptional education and develop existing networks so that Monaco becomes one of the world leaders on the financial markets.

Leads me to believe he'd like to take Monaco into either developing a back-bone structure of internet trading and data-warehousing and security and/or setting up an independent exchange for Monaco (your country probably relies on the CAC, with other European Exchanges being secondary). Has any work gone into this, that you're aware of?

I intend however that ethics remain the backdrop for all the actions of the Monegasque authorities. Ethics are not divisible. Money and virtue must be combined permanently. The importance of Monaco's financial market will require extreme vigilance to avoid the development of the type of financial activities which are not welcome in our country. To avoid such deviance; Monaco must function in harmony with all those organizations who share the same aim. Monaco must therefore respect the requirements of FAFT-GAFI (Financial Action Task Force on Money Laundering) and the tax authorities and in particular the French and American tax authorities, and respect all the other good practices in the control of financial flows.

Well, Mark Thatcher was denied residency in Monaco, so there's a plus :D but has anyone else?

The reality is, money laundering will always be a problem in every country, not just Monaco. Where the human mind has a will, it will find a way. I find it interesting that he includes the US tax authorities - I'm guessing this is about terrorism funding.

Monegasques are people of quality. These qualities will be developed even further as I will put the accent on knowledge, know how, imagination and the extraordinary power of thought.

I will do what is necessary, in particular by organizing symposiums and think tank seminars which will have a great impact. They will bring to us not only additional intellectual resources to those we already possess but they will also make our country a real thought forum on the major subjects and preoccupations of the contemporary world.

Ephemeral - it's high-minded, it sounds good, but what is going on that shows he's (or the government) working on this? I know there have been conferences in Monaco since this speech, but is anything concrete coming from them?

a country where a part of this wealth contributes to a better world : 4% of our state budget is profitable to humanitarian and social projects overseas, specially in Africa.

I'd give a lot to see the State budget, geeky number freak that I am :D

I also intend to ensure that Monaco ratifies the Kyoto Protocol as soon as possible.

He has accomplished this. However, most experts agree the Protocol is deeply flawed and needs to be re-written. Is he working on this in conjunction with other countries?

I know Monaco is not a part of the European Union per se, except through it's ties with France. Do you know why this is? Also, the European Charter is unworkable for many, many reasons. It's similar to our Articles of Confederation prior to the writing of the Constitution. Is the Prince working with other governments to rectify this problem? I think it's an area he, with his experience in international diplomacy (mostly the IOC and UN) amoungst other things, might be good at and it would be good for Monaco to be seen as taking a deeper interest in European Constitutional life.

You said:
Yes he has signed the treaty, but in contrast to this stands the fact that MC has an inciniary plant which is substandard and will not be closed before 2020 to warrant the millions that have been invested to modernize it (it was clear already then that it would not be possible to ever bring this plant up to standard and PA is very well aware of it. There is a petition of the habitants of Fontvielle who complain about nasty fumes especially on the weekends which makes it impossible for them to move outside).

Trash is one of the most troublesome issues governments face. No one wants it. Who is responsible for the plant you now have? Is it possible for some of the trash to be shipped to France or Italy for incineration? Naturally, this would be costly... what isn't - or has this already been explored?

The translations of M. Biancheri's resignation and the reasons for it have left me more confused than anything else - can you hit the highlights of what the problems are?

There shouldn't be the slightest doubt about the integrity of gov. members, especially since justice has had a seeing eye in MC in the past.....

You should be glad you're not living in the United States :D Otherwise, I agree with you. I would think that, given the Prince's stance on ethics, he would have accepted the resignation. However, as I said, I'm not completely clear on what the problems are.

pinklady1991, that quote "those who ignore history are destined to repeat it" is from George Santayana :D You're right, if the COS is a really good one, having information and decisions sorted through him/her can really aide the process. A lot depends not only on the COS personality, but how others react to him/her. In M. Deslandes case, some of what we're reading may be that he's not comfortable with this system or this person.

paca said:
http://www.iol.co.za/index.php?set_id=1&click_id=3&art_id=qw1143466924741B255

I think this trial will be very interesting to follow as many high gov. officials will be called to the bar. Among them M. Biancheri, whose resignation recently refused. (also sth that should be followed up, since it casts a light on how serious he is about moral. I am not quite filled in with the details in that case, but IMO he shouldn't have refused, but asked for his resignation. There shouldn't be the slightest doubt about the integrity of gov. members, especially since justice has had a seeing eye in MC in the past.....)

I find it interesting that the article came from a South African website :rolleyes: ...I didn't see anything on CNN or The New York Times and considering Americans are involved and how the collapse would have been felt on Wall Street. I'm not sure how M. Biancheri figures into this -- was he a Finance minister? Around that time, many markets around the world were starting to feel the effects of the "dot-bomb" era so that will probably be part of the defense.

Yet, I have to agree if this all was allowed to happen on M. Biancheri's watch, PA should have asked for his resignation long before this. Having worked in the financial services industry for five years after the high-tech markets cooled, I can understand that after such amazing promises how there would be quite a few irate clients once the firm failed to deliver the returns. Many (particularly younger investors) during the late 90's felt that they were owed 30%-40% returns indefinitely on their investments. I don't know whose fault it was not investigating sooner, but I can't imagine promising such high returns. Granted high risk promises high returns, but this reminds me a little of the derivatives scandals that brought down Baring in the mid-90s. No one was paying much attention as long as the bank accounts were growing, but when the smoke and mirrors cleared, there was much to answer for. Perhaps this was the reason that PA refused M. Biancheri's resignation -- everyone was a little at fault here.

Laura Elizabeth said:
Also, thanks for the translation of the speech. I'm curious - do you know who wrote it? This speech doesn't really say much of anything. It is not a blue-print of where the Prince intends to take Monaco, but just a general overview. There are some solid points, but mostly it's ephemeral.

It reminds me very much of an American president's inaugural address: lots of soaring rhetoric but hard to isolate specifics. The difference is that unlike an American President, PA has much more time (and no pesky Congress to answer to) to fulfill his vision.

Laura Elizabeth said:
I know Monaco is not a part of the European Union per se, except through it's ties with France. Do you know why this is? Also, the European Charter is unworkable for many, many reasons. It's similar to our Articles of Confederation prior to the writing of the Constitution. Is the Prince working with other governments to rectify this problem? I think it's an area he, with his experience in international diplomacy (mostly the IOC and UN) amoungst other things, might be good at and it would be good for Monaco to be seen as taking a deeper interest in European Constitutional life.

I agree but unless Monaco is elected to the Security Council I don't see them taking a major role in this. Mainly the influence that MC could wield would be monetary; of course, that all depends on their budget and what as a country they would be willing to spend to see the European Charter succeed and of course, that all depends on how much it works for them. The European Charter is a good idea in theory. For the United States, we had fought a war to become an independent country with individual states; as colonies we were ruled by one country and people thought of themselves as English subjects. In Europe, the events of the last decade show that many were seeking an ethnic and cultural identity and I'm sure Bismarck and Cavour were turning in their graves. The close vote and rejection of the Charter by France and The Netherlands and others last summer shows that the people are not willing to accept it. PA is in the position where he doesn't have to answer to an electorate; however, the constitutional monarchies of Europe do. While there is a leadership opportunity there for PA, he has to be able to balance his words with his actions. There is a constitution in MC, but for all intents and purposes, PA is an absolute monarch.

Laura Elizabeth said:
pinklady1991, that quote "those who ignore history are destined to repeat it" is from George Santayana :D You're right, if the COS is a really good one, having information and decisions sorted through him/her can really aide the process. A lot depends not only on the COS personality, but how others react to him/her. In M. Deslandes case, some of what we're reading may be that he's not comfortable with this system or this person.

Thank you!!! It's one of my favorite quotes but I can never remember who said it. I will make a note and hopefully I can remember this time. For M. Deslandes, he probably sees M. Allavena's management style as a way of perhaps managing PA and allowing PA to have much more freedom to stay away from duties. JMO... By the way, please call me Pink or Pinky...it's just easier. :p

pink, this trial finally made CNN online late yesterday: http://www.cnn.com/2006/WORLD/europe/03/27/monaco.fraud.reut/index.html - nearly the same as the ZA article.

I think the Prince can take on more of a diplomatic role in the EU as well as the UN. You have a good point: how would this financially benefit Monaco - and the answer is it might not. But strengthening Europe's "federal" (if you will) government will benefit all nations. Stunts like Chirac's walking out because a speech was being given in English and not French last week - please! - and all the other hissy-fits and posturing that has gone on has to stop. They have to come together and see themselves as many working for the good of one. I think PA has unique insights to offer the Europeans on how to achieve this. Whether they will listen, or if he can actually make concrete changes, is a huge question mark.

The close vote and rejection of the Charter by France and The Netherlands and others last summer shows that the people are not willing to accept it.

I think that's because they haven't been shown the real benefits that can accrue to each individual nation as well as the corporate concept of a unified Europe.

pinklady1991 said:
M. Deslandes is obviously the consumate politician and diplomat so his remarks can be interpreted on many different levels. I would have liked to see the article in French because I'm sure M. Deslandes chose his words carefully and I bet his choices were fraught with meaning. I have to wonder, however, if his remarks and his resignation could be taken b/c there are preps going on vis-a-vis CW? He is obviously very critical of PA's spectacle at the Olympics and with his two+ week stay in Italy and then within the month the rendez-vous in The Maldives with the trip to Switzerland and London in between. Now PA plans to be gone for most of April in either the Arctic or in South Africa; probably feels that M. Allavena is running MC, not PA.
Yes, in fact he chose his words very carefully, which is why I found it the more interesting, because you hardly ever get subtle criticism from high officials. We should take into account though that he was serving Rainier, when he was alreday older and his health rather fragile, which of course entailed that he would rather stay in MC then travel the world. Though until the very last few weeks he followed everything very closely, which is probably sth that PA doesn't do. When you saw Col. Lamblin at an event, you knew that he was Rainiers eyes and ears. With PA you might have people standing in for him, but really they don't have the same personality and respect as CL of whom everyone knew how close he was to PR. BTW when M Allavena is the chef of PAs cabinet (being intermediator between the ministere d'etat and PA), but the guy running the country is M Proust. He makes sure that everything functions.

I don't think he much likes Albert's management style as well. I wouldn't have thought that Rainier would have a more open management style, but apparently he did. Several presidents use the model where cabinet members are channeled through the chief of staff and rarely have face time with the president. There are pros and cons to this -- it allows for the chief executive to have information sorted through a trusted confidant so he can have pertinent information and make decisions more readily or it can let the chief of staff set the agenda and only let through what information he/she wants the chief executive to act upon. The latter format would allow the rumors to surface -- no one knows what is going on and wild speculation emerges. This could be the case particularly if PA is guarding his privacy and therefore is trying to shield himself from too many influences.
Yes I think you are right. He doesn't like his style. People said that PA is more modern, more direct, whereas PR wrote letters (he wrote letters after every event he attended and took a lot of pains in the wording - some letters he had CL write for him, but a lot of them he wrote himself and it was always clear which ones he had written and considered a special honor). I do wonder though whether he also chose to write a lot of letters, to make sure that his orders were clear and no one could say afterwards that they didn't know or didn't understand(bad connection etc..)

I liked the part where M. Deslandes talked about MC becoming a center for humanitarian causes. The arts and many humanitarian causes have flourished under Grace's, and now Caroline's care, but he sees an unfulfilled destiny. MC is a wealthy, small, neutral nation -- the influence it could wield on certain world affairs could be quite potent.
He might be alluding here to sth that Caro insisted a few years ago at a yearly Amade reunion. Se said that Amade should be mainly collecting funds ad then cooperate with other associations that are more specific and more specialized in certain fields then Amade and thus putting the money into better service.

Whether CW forced all of this to a head, no one on the outside will ever know but I'm sure she is probably the final straw that convinced him to resign.
I don't think that he actually resigned. (it takes some time to get a job as prefect ad as far as I know it is Sarkozy who makes that decision- correct me if I'm wrong) it wasn't said anywere, but I'm sure it brought on his criticism of PA that otherwise is unheard of.

hsh1969 said:
IMO Mr Biancheri is resigning because of this trial, and does not want to cast a bad light on PA's gov.
No, that was not his reasons, although the trial might shed further bad light on him and some other officials. The retirement fund (government controlled) sold land to several adjoining communities. Among them a plot (2754qm) that was bought by M. Biancheri from that community for the price of 344250 Euros via another company. He build a house there. The price is considered reasonable (though you can bet that any of us would have had to pay heaps more in an area where you can't get a decent house with 500qm garden under 1000000 Euro). It has been judgedby M.Proust that this behaviour needs to be criticised, but it wasn't "malhonnete"(fraud). The whole thing was judged in the contest of the time!!:eek: :mad: the consequence is that he stays in office and there will be reforms voted asap. As a sideline, the whole thing only popped up after an article a month ago in Patriote. So there was no involvement of any official control organ until this article and without it, we probably would have never known about it.

I will post tomorrow some more on this when I have read more details in the MC matin (there is sth about the reforms etc.)

First of all interesting post Laura Elizabeth and I'm glad you enjoy this thread.
Laura Elizabeth said:
Leads me to believe he'd like to take Monaco into either developing a back-bone structure of internet trading and data-warehousing and security and/or setting up an independent exchange for Monaco (your country probably relies on the CAC, with other European Exchanges being secondary). Has any work gone into this, that you're aware of?
Actually I haven't heard anything, but mainly I think PA wants attract clean industries, who need office space rather then large factories. Also I think he might want to get the university to be more attractive to people (it was close to closing down not that long ago due to mismanagement).

Well, Mark Thatcher was denied residency in Monaco, so there's a plus :D but has anyone else?
Well, I know of some people, but they were already banned while PR was alive and weren't big names. If it is not a big name, we probably won't here about it anyways.

The reality is, money laundering will always be a problem in every country, not just Monaco. Where the human mind has a will, it will find a way. I find it interesting that he includes the US tax authorities - I'm guessing this is about terrorism funding.
too true. Yes I think so too. There are a lot of wealthy Arabs all around in the area so one with a big suitcase of money wouldn't be noticed. But what I have recently noticed with my bank was that now even with relatively small amounts coming from a foreign country (in my case it was Germany), they give you a ring to find out whom it was from (even though you receive a letter when the money has been credited on your account and it is obvious whom it is from). So they are more scrupulous now. They also seem to be working with the French tresor now, because once a year you receive a paper that you have to hand in with your tax. Also certain high interest accounts you can only open once you have done your tax declaration and are under a certain income level.

Ephemeral - it's high-minded, it sounds good, but what is going on that shows he's (or the government) working on this? I know there have been conferences in Monaco since this speech, but is anything concrete coming from them?
well there was some conference on children's rights that Caro attended, but I don't think that was exactly what he was referring to and I should think that organizing those kinds of events takes longer.

I'd give a lot to see the State budget, geeky number freak that I am :D
I know it is being published at least once a year. maybe you can have a look at the government website. They might have sth there.

He has accomplished this. However, most experts agree the Protocol is deeply flawed and needs to be re-written. Is he working on this in conjunction with other countries?
So we know that he can write his name ad that the conseille national can all lift their arms for voting it in a secession. But applying it, doing sth. is sth different. At present the hotel industry wants to seperate their rubbish, but apparently that is not in the governments interest, because that way there won't be enough for the incinary plant to keep poluting us. The seem to be taking actions anyways. so see how that will work out.

I know Monaco is not a part of the European Union per se, except through it's ties with France. Do you know why this is?
Yes. Like many smaller European countries, MC fears to have no say due to it's size. Also the EU was for a long time opposed as well, due to too strong ties and not enough independence from France. PR rectified this by rewriting some treaties with Chirac (which PA signed last year), which enable him now to chose his own government, which was not possible before. Also now a Monegasque can become ministere d'etat, which was impossible before. M Proust is the last in a long line of French proposals for the job.

Trash is one of the most troublesome issues governments face. No one wants it. Who is responsible for the plant you now have? Is it possible for some of the trash to be shipped to France or Italy for incineration? Naturally, this would be costly... what isn't - or has this already been explored?
The plant is run by a government controlled company. Yes that would be possible, but actually it was the other way around, they were shipping it to MC, who uses the energy to have electricity (I think the streetlights are fed that way - I read sth like it).

You should be glad you're not living in the United States :D Otherwise, I agree with you. I would think that, given the Prince's stance on ethics, he would have accepted the resignation. However, as I said, I'm not completely clear on what the problems are.
I guess that is the way in most countries, but they haven't got leaders who wrote moral and ethics all over their banner when the world was watching. Thus I keep watching and wondering whether he was sincere or whether this was all just a nice publicity stunt. I was there when he gave that speech and for the first time I was thinking that maybe one should and could take him seriously. I have to admit, even when closely read he remains vague about what he really is going to do and how he wants to achieve this, which measures he is going to take etc., I was moved at the moment it was given and I felt rather enthusiastic about PA. Unfortunetely that feeling has now hit rock bottom and I wonder whether it was only "salon" talk, sounds nice, but nothing is going to happen. Elected governments get 100 days to show where they are going, PA had a year and we are still not clear on this. It is actually this what made me start the thread, because I was thinking maybe with all this muddling with his private life, I just have lost track.;)

paca said:
Also I think he might want to get the university to be more attractive to people (it was close to closing down not that long ago due to mismanagement).

:) I am very sorry to know that the university came close to closing down. I had the opportunity to visit the university one summer. I thought it was a wonderful place. I met Dr. Crener, teachers, students, and other personnel there. The university has great potential. Although I was a bit disappointed when I asked for directions, I had to ask more than one person because some did not realize there was a university in Monaco!?! All in all, I thought the university was unique and again has great potential. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Laura Elizabeth said:
I think the Prince can take on more of a diplomatic role in the EU as well as the UN. You have a good point: how would this financially benefit Monaco - and the answer is it might not. But strengthening Europe's "federal" (if you will) government will benefit all nations.

Maybe, maybe not...unlike individual states, European nations have a much more clearly defined cultural identity and appreciation of their own history. Economic advantages in theory may not translate well to reality. They don't take into consideration national personalities.

Laura Elizabeth said:
Stunts like Chirac's walking out because a speech was being given in English and not French last week - please! - and all the other hissy-fits and posturing that has gone on has to stop. They have to come together and see themselves as many working for the good of one. I think PA has unique insights to offer the Europeans on how to achieve this. Whether they will listen, or if he can actually make concrete changes, is a huge question mark.

Perfect example of the national personality...I can imagine de Gaulle doing the same thing. As an unabashed Francophile, all I can say is Vive La France! :p What kinds of insights does PA have in this? Not trying to be sarcastic, but I'd like to see some of his specific ideas and outlines of how to implement them.

Laura Elizabeth said:
I think that's because they haven't been shown the real benefits that can accrue to each individual nation as well as the corporate concept of a unified Europe.

But whose "corporate concept?" The idea is different from one country to the next. In the end, Europe will be a stronger force economically in the world but this may take several generations to sort out and in the end compromises will have to be made so the end result may not be what was envisaged.

paca...interesting rebuttal...(I didn't quote for fear it would be too long a post)...particularly the part about the resignation not actually being a resignation? Do you think M. Deslandes was fired by PA? I'm a little confused...

Also, it's an interesting concept that Caroline had turning AMADE into a foundation that supports other, smaller charities rather than a direct service organization. As this is what I do now, it's a subject that I could discuss for hours. ;) Do you know of anywhere that I could find her remarks on the subject?

lal said:
paca said:
Also I think he might want to get the university to be more attractive to people (it was close to closing down not that long ago due to mismanagement).

:) I am very sorry to know that the university came close to closing down. I had the opportunity to visit the university one summer. I thought it was a wonderful place. I met Dr. Crener, teachers, students, and other personnel there. The university has great potential. Although I was a bit disappointed when I asked for directions, I had to ask more than one person because some did not realize there was a university in Monaco!?! All in all, I thought the university was unique and again has great potential. :)
Yes, a lot of people don't know that it exists. Took me some time to find it too, ad who would suspect a university in a football stadium;) :D . At present I think they are fine (I think the government intervened last time they had problems, although it is essentially private)

pinklady1991 said:
paca...interesting rebuttal...(I didn't quote for fear it would be too long a post)...particularly the part about the resignation not actually being a resignation? Do you think M. Deslandes was fired by PA? I'm a little confused...

Also, it's an interesting concept that Caroline had turning AMADE into a foundation that supports other, smaller charities rather than a direct service organization. As this is what I do now, it's a subject that I could discuss for hours. ;) Do you know of anywhere that I could find her remarks on the subject?
You might find sth on the amade webpage (you could even contact them, I'm sure they would be willing to provide info). I remeber having read this 2 or 3 years ago when they had a annual meeting. I remember the article running along the lines that she thanked Amade for their work and then started to criticise and insist that it need to be more efficient. She wanted to give it a new face.

As to MD, I'm not quite sure what exactly happened there. There are 3 possibilities, either he quitt, his time was up or he got fired. I don't think that his time was up though, because why would PA otherwise nominae him in November. Maybe he decided a long time ago, that under certain circumstances he would leave. I don't honestly know, but will keep you posed if I hear anything.

It has been judgedby M.Proust that this behaviour needs to be criticised, but it wasn't "malhonnete"(fraud).

The difference between illegal and unethical should be zero, in my opinion, but it rarely is. It looks like what he did was unethical but legal.

Oh, I had no idea! Hmm... maybe I should look elsewhere to finish my phd? Just kidding, I wasn't considering the University of Monaco; I don't think I could afford it. It does bring up another area where the Prince could be looking to enhance Monaco's prestige though. Didn't his Father do a great deal on the primary education levels (pre-University that is)?

I know it is being published at least once a year. maybe you can have a look at the government website. They might have sth there.

I've checked in the past and didn't see it. I'll check again. The lastest figures the CIA Factbook provide are from 1995! (Yeah, they're a real useful organization...)

Yes. Like many smaller European countries, MC fears to have no say due to it's size. Also the EU was for a long time opposed as well, due to too strong ties and not enough independence from France. PR rectified this by rewriting some treaties with Chirac (which PA signed last year), which enable him now to chose his own government, which was not possible before. Also now a Monegasque can become ministere d'etat, which was impossible before. M Proust is the last in a long line of French proposals for the job.

I had forgotten about the changes the Prince got passed last year. I wondered at that time why not just completely separate from France. Utilities and policing, etc., can be gotten elsewhere, and more cheaply too. Do you think the majority of Monagasts would be comfortable with giving the French a complete "heave-ho" - allowing Monaco to be completely free of French government interest?

As for the EU, if all States have an equal representation then, regardless of the State's size, everyone has an equal say. Yes, larger States can band together and work for their goals, but so can the smaller States. It appears, from this side of the pond, smaller States like Luxembourg, Monaco, etc., don't band together and present their interests and needs in concert, especially within the EU, and I think that would be a natural "marriage" and something the smaller States would be doing.

The plant is run by a government controlled company. Yes that would be possible, but actually it was the other way around, they were shipping it to MC, who uses the energy to have electricity (I think the streetlights are fed that way - I read sth like it).

Oh! That wasn't a brilliant idea, was it? Ah, it's so easy to be critical in hindsight. We have enough issues with trash in this country. My family vacations on Nantucket Island, off the coast of Massachusetts, several times each year. Several years ago the highest structure on the Island was the trash mound. The fighting that took place over what to do about the trash problem was unbelieveable. I think they finally contracted to have sent someplace else to be incinerated. The mountain of trash isn't as bad any longer, but it's still a serious problem.

Elected governments get 100 days to show where they are going

On behalf of the United States, not that I have the right to speak for all US citizens, but I'm going to anyway: I apologize. That is one of the dumbest ideas we've ever exported. President Roosevelt was a unique individual with a (hopefully) once in a hundred years set of problems on his hands. He needed to convince the US, and the world that we were OK, we could fix the problems we had - hence, the 100 days of action. Now every President comes into office with that 100 Days sword hanging over his head. Somethings should never be dealt with that quickly; sometimes one should move slowly, with caution and deliberation. In the Prince's case, it does seem he needs to get moving. He (or whomever wrote speech) did set the bar high - perhaps too high. Perhaps everything he spoke about are things he really wants, but hasn't been able to find a way to make them happen. Or, being the cynic I am, it was just "salon" talk. I'd like to hope not, but...

pink

But whose "corporate concept?" The idea is different from one country to the next. In the end, Europe will be a stronger force economically in the world but this may take several generations to sort out and in the end compromises will have to be made so the end result may not be what was envisaged.

Good point. And the concept of a unified Europe has been floating around since the turn of the last century.

I think that the Prince might have a unique opportunity to bring the other European nations around, however. What makes sense to US residents is a tad alien to Europeans. It's not that they're incapable of understanding, it's just so different it's difficult. Having a thorough understanding of both systems should mean he can build a bridge between European nations and help them forge a "more perfect union". Of course, that would require the Prince having the authority - the gravitas - within the EU to get them to listen to him. I don't know that he does. Yet.

PA has installed an advisor, to his administration, Christiane Stahl. She has a background in public relations. I wonder what impact,if any, she has had on the Princes' image in the press. I know that she probably doesn't advise him on public behavior--but I wonder if she guides/influences his interviews,etc.
It is very important that he represent monaco well to the rest of the world.
If I had her job my head would spin...

Back
Top Bottom