On This Day: Monegasque Princely Family

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

theroyalfly

Serene Highness
City
N/A
Country
Greenland
September 30

Today in Royal History is the 121st birthday of Princess Charlotte of Monaco, Duchess of Valentinois born Charlotte Louise Juliette de Monaco in Constantine, French Algeria, she was the illegitimate daughter of Marie Juliette Louvet and Louis Grimaldi, then Hereditary Prince of Monaco and Duke of Valentinois, son and heir of Monaco's reigning prince, Albert I.

https://66.media.tumblr.com/bd3fa5cf485aec4b22f8e313099e7b48/tumblr_nrr125OaUh1s14faro1_r2_500.jpg

Even before Louis succeeded his father, the pricipality declared a succession crisis, anticipating that France might take advantage of this situation. On 15 May 1911 a law was passed recognizing Charlotte as Louis's daughter, and declaring her to be a dynastic member of the sovereign family.
She married Count Pierre de Polignac who later became Prince Pierre of Monaco, Duke of Valentinois and had two children namely Antoinette and Rainier. The marriage was an unhappy one and ended in divorce and estrangement.
Before her son's 21st birthday, she renounced and ceded her rights to the throne to her son Rainier.
She died in Paris on 15 November 1977 (aged 79).
She is the grandmother of the current Sovereign Prince of Monaco, Albert II.

Last edited by a moderator:
Her great-granddaughter Charlotte looks so much like her!

On this day, October 13, 1900 ~ Birth of Ghislaine Dommanget, Princess of Monaco, the spouse of Prince Louis II of Monaco, in Reims, France

Her great-granddaughter Charlotte looks so much like her!

I think she looks more like Caroline than Charlotte...even though Caroline and Charlotte are nearly identical.

Strange!

On this day, October 30, 1724 ~ Demise of Marie of Lorraine, Princess of Monaco, the spouse of Prince Antoine I of Monaco

On this day, November 10, 1697 ~ Birth of Louise Hippolyte, Sovereign Princess of Monaco

November 12

Today in Royal History is the 90th birthday of Grace, Princess of Monaco. She married Rainier III, Prince of Monaco and had 3 children including the current monarch, Albert II, Prince of Monaco.

timthumb.php

Before retiring from acting at the age of 26 to marry the Prince, she starred in so many films and is considered as one of the Greatest Female Stars of Classical Hollywood Cinema.

Ninety years ago a legendary princess was born. One of the 20th century's most beautiful women...Grace Patricia, often emulated but never equaled.:flowers:

Ninety years ago a legendary princess was born. One of the 20th century's most beautiful women...Grace Patricia, often emulated but never equaled.:flowers:[/QUOTEI

I so agree with you, nicely put Moonmaiden23

On this day, November 13, 1848 ~ Birth of Albert I, Prince of Monaco, in Paris, France

By his mother Princess Antoinette,Prince Albert I was related to the Belgian noble House of Merode :previous:

By his mother Princess Antoinette,Prince Albert I was related to the Belgian noble House of Merode :previous:
Through his mother Albert was a first cousin of Maria Vittoria dal Pozzo wife of Amadeo of Savoy, Duke of Aosta and King of Spain.

On this day, November 29, 1604 ~ Demise of Hercule, Lord of Monaco

On this day, November 29, 1604 ~ Demise of Hercule, Lord of Monaco

Ercole, Lord of Monaco was actually murdered,his son later became the 1st Prince of Monaco from 1612 onwards.

Ercole, Lord of Monaco looking a tad Henri IV of France in this portrait.

HerculesMonaco.jpg

On this day, December 8, 1818 ~ Birth of Charles III, Prince of Monaco in Paris, France

On this day, December 8, 1818 ~ Birth of Charles III, Prince of Monaco in Paris, France

His mother,Princess Maria Caroline Gibert de Lametz was said to have been the power behind the throne despite her humble origins.

359px-Caroline_gibert_cl_lg.JPG

On this day, December 11, 1850 ~ Birth of Lady Mary Victoria Hamilton, Princess of Monaco. She was the first wife of Prince Albert I.
http://www.alamy.com/stock-photo-un...glas-hamilton-1850-1922-future-134795084.html

On this day, December 16, 1522 ~ Birth of Honore I, Lord of Monaco in Monaco

On this day, December 18, 1818 ~ Birth of Prince Charles III in Paris, France

On this day, December 22, 1925 ~ Demise of Alice, Princess of Monaco, the second wife of Prince Albert I

On this day, December 28, 1920 ~ Birth of Princess Antoinette of Monaco

On this day, December 29, 1731 ~ Demise of Princess Louise Hippolyte of Monaco

On this day, December 29, 1983 - marriage of P. Caroline and Stefano Casiraghi, a legendery lovestory

On this day, January 3, 1701 ~ Demise of Prince Louis I of Monaco

On this day, January 3, 1701 ~ Demise of Prince Louis I of Monaco

Due to his loyal service to King Louis XIV he was invested as a Knight of the Order of the Holy Spirit and appointed French ambassadors to the Holy See.

On this day, January 10, 1662 ~ Demise of Prince Honore II of Monaco

On this day, January 20, 1731 ~ Demise of Prince Antoine I of Monaco

On this day, February 10, 1864 ~ Demise of Antoinette, Princess of Monaco, the wife of Prince Charles III

On this day, February 16, 1819 ~ Demise of Prince Honore IV of Monaco

On this day, February 16, 1819 ~ Demise of Prince Honore IV of Monaco

The reign of Honore IV was short ,he had been imprisoned and then exiled during the French Revolution and then under Napoleon.He married Louise d'Aumont , Duchess de Mazarin in July 1777 but they later divorced in 1793.The titles of Louise including the duchy of Mazarin and Barony de Massy later passed to her sons and are included in the current list of titles of Albert II.

On this day, March 21, 1795 ~ Demise of Prince Honore III of Monaco

On this day, March 30, 1660 ~ The wedding of Prince Louis I of Monaco and Catherine-Charlotte de Dramont at the Chateau de Gramont in Gramont, France

Prince Rainier passes away in 2005

He died a few days after Pope John Paul II,his reign was just short of almost 56 years!

Here's an interview with Stéphanie on the occasion of today's 15th year anniversary: "They say that the Monegasques are stubborn ... The Chief of the Monegasques was very very stubborn!" "I miss my dad, but he was the dad of all Monegasques too":

I am always startled and saddened to see how rapidly Rainier III seemed to age after the death of Princess Grace..:sad:

Back
Top Bottom