National Day Monaco: 2006 - 2023

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tbhrc

Majesty
City
*Ruhrgebiet*
Country
Germany
Post here news and links to picture galleries about this years National Day in Monaco.

You can find previous threads here:

2005 National Day / Enthronement ceremonies

A Retrospective: National Day - Monaco

On November 19th, Monaco celebrates its National Holiday with spectacular fireworks over the harbor the evening before and a mass in the Cathedral the next morning. An excellent opportunity to see the pomp and circumstance of the Principality, visitors can see the Knights of Malta, distinguished ambassadors, consuls and state officials decked out in medal-laden uniforms as they congregate in the Place St. Nicholas after the mass. Then it is off to the Prince’s Palace where onlookers can see the Princely family wave to the crowd from the windows of the palace.
Here is a link with this years program:

Link

:excl: And please remember to read the new rules about picture posting:excl::

Royal Forums rules

Last edited by a moderator:
You can find the english version of the program here:

Part 1:

SUNDAY 12th NOVEMBER
2 p.m. SALLE DU CANTON (COUNTY HALL) - ESPACE POLYVALENT (MULTI-PURPOSE AREA)
A film presentation for young members of the public hosted by the Mairie (on invitation). On the programme: "Madagascar".

5 p.m. SALLE DU CANTON (COUNTY HALL) - ESPACE POLYVALENT (MULTI-PURPOSE AREA)
A film presentation hosted by the Mairie (on invitation). 1st showing. On the programme: "Brice de Nice", with Jean Dujardin and Clovis Cornillac.

9 p.m. SALLE DU CANTON (COUNTY HALL) - ESPACE POLYVALENT (MULTI-PURPOSE AREA)
A second film presentation by the Mairie (on invitation). 2nd showing.

MONDAY 13th NOVEMBER

2.30 p.m. CAP FLEURI RESIDENCE
Recreational session hosted by the Mayor and the Town Council for residents. On the programme: "Charles Vaudano and his orchestra".

4.15 p.m. THE HECTOR-OTTO FOUNDATION, RESIDENCE C. and M. BELLANDO DE CASTRO
Recreational session hosted by the Mayor and the Town Council for guests of both residences. On the programme: "Charles Vaudano and his orchestra".

WEDNESDAY 15th NOVEMBER
3 p.m. SALLE DU CANTON (COUNTY HALL) - ESPACE POLYVALENT (MULTI-PURPOSE AREA)
A recreational session for children aged between 3 and 10 (on invitation). On the programme: "SOS Clowns".

3.30 p.m. OCEANOGRAPHIC MUSEUM
Medal Award Ceremony for Work by H.E. the Minister of State and the Government Counsellor for Social Affairs.

THURSDAY 16th NOVEMBER
10.30 a.m. THE HECTOR-OTTO FOUNDATION, RESIDENCE C. and M. BELLANDO DE CASTRO
Delicacies and perfumes given to the residents by the Mayor and the Town Council.

10.30 a.m. THE MONEGASQUE RED CROSS
Boxes of delicacies given by H.S.H. Prince Albert II.

11 a.m. THE MINISTRY OF STATE
Medal of Honour Award Ceremony (Ruby – Silver) by H.E. the Ministry of State and the Government Counsellor for Social Affairs.

11.15 a.m. THE HECTOR-OTTO FOUNDATION, RESIDENCE J.J. GIAUME
Delicacies and perfumes given to the residents by the Mayor and the Town Council.

3 p.m. CAP FLEURI II RESIDENCE

4 p.m. M. L. S., CAP FLEURI I RESIDENCE

5.30 p.m. THE MINISTRY OF STATE
Medal of Honour Award Ceremony (Bronze) by H.E. the Ministry of State and the Government Counsellor for Social Affairs.

7 p.m. SALLE DU CANTON (COUNTY HALL) - ESPACE POLYVALENT (MULTI-PURPOSE AREA)
Theatrical Play presented by the Mairie (on invitation, children over 10). On the programme: "George SAND and Gustave FLAUBERT – Echanges Epistolaires", a play by Catherine MASSON, with Françoise MOJERET and Claude BEAUCLAIR.

FRIDAY 17th NOVEMBER

11 a.m. PLACE DU CAMPANIN
Medal of Honour Award Ceremony, by H.E. the Minister of State and the Government Counsellor for the Interior to members of the Force and Public Safety.

3 p.m. THE MINISTRY OF STATE
The Youth and Sport Physical Education Medal Award Ceremony by H.S.H. Prince Albert II.

5.15 p.m. THE PRINCE’S PALACE
Award ceremony for the Decoration of the Orders of Saint Charles and Grimaldi by H.S.H. Prince Albert II.

Part 2:

SATURDAY 18th NOVEMBER

9.45 a.m. THE PRINCE’S PALACE
The National Blood Donor Medal of Merit Award Ceremony to blood donors by H.S.H. Prince Albert II. 10.30 a.m. THE PRINCE’S PALACE
The Monegasque Red Cross Medal of Recognition Award Ceremony by H.S.H. Prince Albert II. 11.30 a.m. THE PRINCE’S PALACE
Award Ceremony for the Decoration of Cultural Merit by H.R.H. the Princess of Hanover.2.30 p.m. THE RAINIER III RESIDENTIAL HOME
Gift boxes given to Monegasque OAPs by H.S.H. Princess Stéphanie.

8 p.m. BAY OF THE PORT
Musical Fireworks Display, with fireworks being set off from Avenue de la Porte Neuve and Remparts, by Flash Art Monaco Entertainment.

10 p.m. SALLE DU CANTON (COUNTY HALL) - ESPACE POLYVALENT (MULTI-PURPOSE AREA)
Variety Show hosted by the Mairie (on invitation, children over 10). On the programme: "En Chair et en Noce", a show by Didier GUSTIN staged and co-written by Pascal

10 a.m. THECATHEDRAL
Grand Mass of Thanksgiving (on invitation) presided over by Monsignor Bernard Barsi, Archbishop of Monaco, and co-celebrated by the Priests of the Diocese. Musical programme:
- During the arrival of the Prince’s Family: Great Organ - Kyrie – Gloria – Sanctus – Benedictus – Agnus Dei: Polyphonies on the XI Gregorian mass "Orbis factor", for choir, organ and string orchestra, Philippe MAZE
- Responsorial psalm: " Praise the Lord, the Eternal" (Psalm 102) for choir, organ and string orchestra, Henri CAROL
- Hallelujah in F Major, Henri CAROL
- Universal Prayer: "Jesus saviour of the world, hear us and have mercy", Johann Sebastian BACH
- Offertory: Great Organ
- Anamnesis: "Great is the mystery of Faith"
- During communion: Great Organ
- Prayer for His Serene Highness the Sovereign Prince
- "Te Deum for solemn ceremonies", a Gregorian chant alternating between a Male Chorus and the Great Organ
- Solemn Pontifical Blessing
- "Ite Missa est" from Angelis’s VIII Mass
- As the Prince’s Family leave: Great Organ

With the participation of:
The Monte Carlo Philharmonic Orchestra.
The Choir School of the Monaco Cathedral and the Little Singers of Monaco.
Management: Pierre DEBAT, Cantor of the Cathedral.
Great Organ: Olivier VERNET, Titular.
Choir organ: Jean-Cyrille GANDILLET, Titular.

11.15 a.m. THE PRINCE’S PALACE
Award Ceremony for badges of rank and medals for employees of the Force and Public Safety of the Prince’s Palace, by H.S.H. Prince Albert II.

11.30 a.m. PLACE DU PALAIS
Raising of Arms.
Musical interlude by the Carabineers Fanfare.
Parade both motorized and on foot.

8 p.m. SALLE GARNIER
Gala Evening (upon invitation):
"LA RONDINE", by Gioacomo Puccini
An opera in 3 acts
Libretto by Giuseppe Adami.
According to the German book by Alfred M. Wilner and Heinz Reichert
Musical direction: Enrique Mazzola
Head of choir: Kristan Missirkov
Staging: Nicolas Joel
Set: Ezio Frigerio
Costumes: Franca Squarciapino
Lighting: Vinicio Cheli
With the participation of the Choirs of the Monte Carlo Opera and the Monte Carlo Philharmonic Orchestra.

9 p.m. SALLE DU CANTON (COUNTY HALL) - ESPACE POLYVALENT (MULTI-PURPOSE AREA)
Variety Show presented by the Mairie (on invitation). Same programme as for 18th November.

TUESDAY 21st NOVEMBER
3 p.m. CLUB LE TEMPS DE VIVRE
Reception and recreational session hosted by the Mayor and the Town Council for all members.

THROUGHOUT THE MONTH, AS PART OF THE NATIONAL HOLIDAY CELEBRATIONS
SATURDAY 18th NOVEMBER

10 a.m. THE RAINIER III BOWLING STADIUM
"The Monegasque National Holiday Competition", « longue doublette », a team composed of a player of Monegasque nationality and a licensed player from the F.M.B.
WEDNESDAY 22nd AND FRIDAY 24th NOVEMBER

8 p.m. SALLE GARNIER
Same programme as for 19th November. Tickets: 98 06 28 28

FROM WEDNESDAY 25th OCTOBER TO SUNDAY 19th NOVEMBER

QUAI ALBERT 1 AND ROUTE DE LA PISCINE
"Amusement Fair"

How wonderful! I completely forgot all about National day! But is it too early to assume that the trio will be there?

tbhrc said:

10 a.m. THECATHEDRAL

Grand Mass of Thanksgiving (on invitation) presided over by Monsignor Bernard Barsi, Archbishop of Monaco, and co-celebrated by the Priests of the Diocese. Musical programme:
- During the arrival of the Prince’s Family: Great Organ - Kyrie – Gloria – Sanctus – Benedictus – Agnus Dei: Polyphonies on the XI Gregorian mass "Orbis factor", for choir, organ and string orchestra, Philippe MAZE
- Responsorial psalm: " Praise the Lord, the Eternal" (Psalm 102) for choir, organ and string orchestra, Henri CAROL
- Hallelujah in F Major, Henri CAROL
- Universal Prayer: "Jesus saviour of the world, hear us and have mercy", Johann Sebastian BACH
- Offertory: Great Organ
- Anamnesis: "Great is the mystery of Faith"
- During communion: Great Organ
- Prayer for His Serene Highness the Sovereign Prince
- "Te Deum for solemn ceremonies", a Gregorian chant alternating between a Male Chorus and the Great Organ
- Solemn Pontifical Blessing
- "Ite Missa est" from Angelis’s VIII Mass
- As the Prince’s Family leave: Great Organ

With the participation of:
The Monte Carlo Philharmonic Orchestra.
The Choir School of the Monaco Cathedral and the Little Singers of Monaco.
Management: Pierre DEBAT, Cantor of the Cathedral.
Great Organ: Olivier VERNET, Titular.
Choir organ: Jean-Cyrille GANDILLET, Titular.

This is the worst musical program I have seen in the last 6 years in any mass that a member of the princely family attended. Originally a different program was previewed.​

paca said:
[/center]

This is the worst musical program I have seen in the last 6 years in any mass that a member of the princely family attended. Originally a different program was previewed.​
It is kind of bland...what were some of the originally scheudled pieces, paca?

pinklady1991 said:
It is kind of bland...what were some of the originally scheudled pieces, paca?

Also adding to Pink's question, who plans the music to begin with and does the palace have anything to do with it?

Yeah, I was wondering if any of these pieces were picked by the Grimaldi's. Perhaps some of this music has personal significance to the family.

hibou said:
Also adding to Pink's question, who plans the music to begin with and does the palace have anything to do with it?
The original Tedeum was supposed to be Michael Haydn, sth that has not been in the repertoire. Not particularly difficult, but a nice little piece (at least it was little after the many cuts that tend to be made to fit the timing. I don't think that one oeuvre has ever been sung whole during the last few years). The program is proposed by the conductor of the choir (according to what he thinks he can get done) and the prince gives his nod.

Was it mentioned that this year the apostolic nuncius is invited? Maybe to keep Monaco on the right catholic track and trying to stop the new law in favour of therapeutic abortion...

libra65 said:
Yeah, I was wondering if any of these pieces were picked by the Grimaldi's. Perhaps some of this music has personal significance to the family.
Caro had her hand in the choice of music for the funeral. But that only concerned the orchestra. The choir sang those well known pieces that are said to have been favorites with Rainier. ( Rainiers grandfather actually chose the music himself in his testament which was not as easy as todays program, but that was another era with other conductors and a different approach to choir work. Among other pieces they had to come up in a snap with the coronation mass by Mozart.Good thing that rainier didn't do that, because they would have had to call on professional church choir singers to have decent performance)

Thanks Paca, as always you are so knowledgeable! Very interesting!

You're welcome. Only passing on what I have been told and observed.

I really do hope Charlotte will be there, and pierre. Actually the whole trio and family! Lol maybe even stephs kids!?

Maybe steph kids will attend cant wait till we get new pics.

TMC will have next sunday several documentaries about Albert ad the last year in Monaco.

It looks like a millenium celebration not an annual one. How can they find people to attend all these events? Don't people have to work in Monaco?
I thought it was mostly ministers, advisors (?) and people who get invited? The palace isn't that big, they can't pack hundreds of people in one room. I believe the mass is open to anyone who wants to come.

Anyone want to place bets with regard to Charlene's presence at the events? I believe it not impossible that she'll be at some of the parties. Maybe she'll get a Grimaldi order for services to the sovereign. But if Albert has any sense left, he'll not show her at the balcony scene without an engagement ring on her (and his) finger. Oh well, we'll see on Sunday. (and Saturday and Friday and.....:ohmy:)

Paca - My guess would be that those invited to the mass other than VIP's would be residents of Monaco and are probaby issued a ticket to get in?

Donna we will sneak you on to the balcony! Practice your wave - it will be great fun! Then you can tell us whose in the VIP room! I know you know what to wear at these things - Our beloved will simply fall head of heels for you! It will be perfect!

hibou said:
Paca - My guess would be that those invited to the mass other than VIP's would be residents of Monaco and are probaby issued a ticket to get in?
Those attending the mass are issued invites, VIP or not. There are places reserved to the Monegasques (not sure whether residents would be elligible to seats). There are quite a few things going on for residents and Monegasques, but you would have to go to the cityhall to fetch the tickets. Whether they will handout tickets for the mass though, I'm not sure. ( I never did attend anything appart from the mass, even while I was a resident - though I didn't quite feel that I was in appropriate shape then:lol: ) They might just go by first getting there get's a seat (showing ID of course).

paca said:
Those attending the mass are issued invites, VIP or not. There are places reserved to the Monegasques (not sure whether residents would be elligible to seats). There are quite a few things going on for residents and Monegasques, but you would have to go to the cityhall to fetch the tickets. Whether they will handout tickets for the mass though, I'm not sure. ( I never did attend anything appart from the mass, even while I was a resident - though I didn't quite feel that I was in appropriate shape then:lol: ) They might just go by first getting there get's a seat (showing ID of course).

THanks Paca for the info - it will be interesting to see how this is covered this year by the press.

hibou said:
THanks Paca for the info - it will be interesting to see how this is covered this year by the press.
I'm sure they will be having a few references to Charlene and we might see a few more issue leading up to it this week. And then of course we will have those mags which were counting on some sort of announcement explaining to us why it didn't come and that he will propose either xmas or new year ;)

oh just one more bit: it looks in the program as if the mass was on Saturday, but in fact it is on Sunday as is the opera. Some residents here are also a bit confused, because there will be no school,offices etc. open on Monday due to National Holiday. Fact is though, that in spite of all the activities before and after, National Holiday is still the 19th. Just in case anyone got confused.

paca said:
[/CENTER]

The Bach organ works should be cool, and the Gregorian chant also. I wish I could hear it. But I just get to see pictures and maybe have some 20 second video clips with the music drowned out by pointless commentary!:sad:

CasiraghiTrio said:
The Bach organ works should be cool, and the Gregorian chant also. I wish I could hear it. But I just get to see pictures and maybe have some 20 second video clips with the music drowned out by pointless commentary!:sad:
The gregorian isn't that great, especially since it has been a last minute decision and the Maze is ok, but nothing extraordinary. Very repetitive. Believe me, this year is musically not a delight for those who love sacred music.

paca said:
The gregorian isn't that great, especially since it has been a last minute decision and the Maze is ok, but nothing extraordinary. Very repetitive. Believe me, this year is musically not a delight for those who love sacred music.
Gregorian chant is so nice, but since it is a last minute decision, I can see it not being top tier. It's really hard to do, isn't it?!

CasiraghiTrio said:
Gregorian chant is so nice, but since it is a last minute decision, I can see it not being top tier. It's really hard to do, isn't it?!
Not if you practice or know the basics of singing. It only sounds difficult for some people because there is no orchestra or organ to cover up for you when you didn't quite get it right. And there is a tendency to drop about half a tone. Like everything, it takes practise to succeed, but with practise and proper technique, it is not difficult. It might not be of a high artistic value then, but at least you'll hit all the notes and don't have a cringing audience.

he Monegasque National Holiday 2006 : requests for accreditation and press facilities

13/11/2006 -

Accreditation will be granted according to publications on Monaco for the ongoing year.

One photographer only will be accredited for each agency : the name of each accredited photographer must be confirmed by Monday 13th November 2006 at the latest.

All COURIERS must be accredited.

Badges are nominative and can be collected from the Press Centre as from Wednesday 15th November (from 9 a.m. to 6.30 p.m.), 10 quai Antoine Ier.

- Red Badge: photographers – access to stands in the Cathedral and the Place du Palais;
- Yellow Badge: written press and radio journalists - access to stands in the Cathedral and the Place du Palais ;
- White Badge blanc: television - access to stands in the Cathedral and the Place du Palais
- Brown badge: SAMIPA (technicians for live broadcasts) – all individuals authorised to carry out their functions inside the Prince’s Palace will wear a special badge “Prince’s Palace” provided by the Press Office.

Accreditations giving access to the following events:
- Distribution of parcels in the headquarters of the Monegasque Red Cross (16/11 – 10.30 a.m.);
- Distribution of gifts in the Foyer Rainier III (18/11 – 2.30 p.m.);
- Te Deum Mass in the Cathedral and Military Parade in the Place du Palais (19/11 – from 9 a.m. onwards – access to the stands) ;
- Military parade in the Main Courtyard (19/11 at 11.15 a.m.): the photographic pool will be carried out by Charly Gallo: photos will be available from the Press Centre from 3 p.m.

Stands in the Cathedral and the Place du Palais:
- Access to the stands will be monitored by Nicolas Saussier, Katia Zyskowski (Press Office of the Palace) and Lydie Calvas-Blanchon (Press Centre;
- Prior stickage is forbidden.

Selection of photos available to accredited photographers:
- The Press Centre’s photographer will take photos of the various events that are not accessible to the press: Honours Award Ceremony (17th and 18th November in the Prince’s Palace); inside the Cathedral and the Main Courtyard (19th November); Prince’s Box for the Gala evening (19th November in the Salle Garnier).
- A selection of these photos will be available only to accredited agencies from the Press Centre after each event (details of times will follow).

For the television: pictures of the ceremonies from Sunday 19th November will be available from 1 p.m. in the mobile broadcast unit behind the Cathedral upon prior request from the Press Office of the Prince’s Palace (by fax +377 93 25 24 45 or e-mail: presse@palais.mc).

Access: to gain access to Monaco-Ville on Sunday 19th November, we recommend parking all vehicles in the “Pêcheurs” car park.

source : gouv.mc

we should get to see the first pics today from the red cross distribution this afternoon.

Glistening Seas

:) hello everyone Paca looking for some insight here, out of curiousity whom picked out the music for the National Day. can you give some insight as to the type of music they had before in other National Days and why you think this is better, or not from other times. most of us newbie's here don't have anything to compare it to, however, no comparison is necessary from me simply because whatever music is okay with me. :) i'm not familiar with sacred music spoken about here:angel: however, am c-u-r-i-o-u-s as we all are to see what goodies were thought up for PA. i missed his original inauguration :blush: so this should be interesting:) .

paca said:
we should get to see the first pics today from the red cross distribution this afternoon.

Isn't the Red Cross distrbution tomorrow ?!
Today there is some event for children aged between 3 and 10 , a thing called 'SOS Clown' ( might be that Stephanie attends) .

In the paper they published Wednesday, but that could have been an error or I remembered it wrong. But when I read the program I remember making a note to myself about first pics today. There has already been some music for the elderly, but so far no pics with the family. From what I gathered from the paper, the family (mainly Albert and Steph, Caro only seems to be doing the cultural merit) is spreading and not doing the events together (like last year where we had plenty of pics with Albert and Steph). They might still show up in doubles, but the official announcement was mainly for one for each event. If I still have the article, I'll post events and family member.

Back
Top Bottom