Monaco's succession issues

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
.. and if Charlene doesn't have children, he could divorce and than he could marry a still younger women and try again. So only when he dies and his wife isn't pragneant, Carolines son will inherit..

So wait and see ;)

Caroline's cousin has said being the first born she should have inherited the Throne.

In that perspective he should have been Monaco's Prince, since he's the eldest child of Rainiers older sister.

I wonder when we'll hear that Charlene is pregnant. From the interviews right before their marriage I got that they wanted a big family and soon.

It makes sense that he would say that as his mother, Princess Antoinette, was Rainier III's elder sister, and (according to Christian) she attempted a coup d'état in order to place Christian on the throne in 1951.

Equal primogeniture is still a new thing. Sweden didn't introduce it until 1980, more than 20 years after Rainier's elder children were born. Monaco may wish to introduce it now (and should), but given as the first person in the line of succession to be displaced by a younger brother is Charlotte, I doubt there'll be a rush to do it (at least not until Albert and Charlene have children).

I wonder when we'll hear that Charlene is pregnant. From the interviews right before their marriage I got that they wanted a big family and soon.

IIRC she recently said something about not being in a rush. Or at least she didn't want to put any pressure on herself (which, to me, seems completely understandable). I do think that she and Albert will have a child eventually, don't know if it will be soon though. She's only 35, I know women who have had babies way up in their forties.

Sasha Casiraghi will occupy the third position in the line of succession to the Monegasque throne when his parents will marry on August 31,2013.

I am sure that Charlene and Prince Albert will have a child or children. The time is not fixed, but Charlene has a lot of time to bear a child.
(...) I think she willl do everything in order to provide a heir.

Last edited by a moderator:
Prince Sascha doesn't exactly roll of the tongue!

Both Andrea and Pierre and their legitimate children come before Charlotte in the line of succession

As of this moment in time, neither Andrea nor Pierre have legitimate children, so the place in the succession of legitimate children is moot.

Actually I think it rolls perfectly, except every time I say it I'm imagine a girl.

The 'Prince' part should give a heads up! :).

Last edited by a moderator:
Prince Sascha doesn't exactly roll of the tongue!

I agree, but maybe that's just a thing I have because I still think just that about Princess Estelle (too many S-sounds). Sacha Casiraghi sounds really good though.

IIRC she recently said something about not being in a rush. Or at least she didn't want to put any pressure on herself (which, to me, seems completely understandable). I do think that she and Albert will have a child eventually, don't know if it will be soon though. She's only 35, I know women who have had babies way up in their forties.

Because of that quote and the contradiction with what she said right before the marriage, I think their wish to start a family is not going according to plan.

Indeed Charlene still has some time, but does Albert?
He's in his mid 50's and their child will be his heir.
If Albert reaches the age his father had, the new Prince(ss) of Monaco will be very young when he/she'll inherit the throne.

Because of that quote and the contradiction with what she said right before the marriage, I think their wish to start a family is not going according to plan.

Indeed Charlene still has some time, but does Albert?
He's in his mid 50's and their child will be his heir.
If Albert reaches the age his father had, the new Prince(ss) of Monaco will be very young when he/she'll inherit the throne.

You have right, indeed. I also think it is not Charlene's fault.
Prince Albert had a lot of very great girlfriends to marry before he began dating Charlene in 2006. He could marry earlier if he wanted to do but he enjoyed very much his playboy lifestyle without bothering succesion problems.
His father died at 81. We don't know exactly when Prince Albert will die.
Fortunately he is in good condition . We hope he won't die very soon , so he can bring up heirs. I believe an 24 or 25 years old heir can inherit the thone. Maybe he /she won't own a lot of experiences in the diplomacy and political field .

Well, there's certainly no question about Albert's fertility, is there?

I don' t talk about Albert's fertility. He alredy has two kids.

I mean it was not Charlene 's fault that Albert married her at 53.
She waited for s long. He wasn't very young when they started dating in 2006.

Last edited:
At least in Monaco there *is* a line of succession of several people :) there have been situations elsewhere when there a monarchy would be almost extinct

Imo i would start exploring options if P.Charlene doesn't have a child between now and 10 years in the future...so plenty of time left.
Should some misfortune happen short term, than i think P.Caroline has plenty of experience and presence to be a monarch in her own right and also has time to 'groom' her children for the succession..

Well, there's certainly no question about Albert's fertility, is there?

Hang on a minute - he is getting older so yes there could be.

Goodness, as if the woman isn't under enough pressure, comments like this put all the onus on her.

Reading this thread I feel a bit sorry for Charlene.

Not only are Andrea and Charlotte welcoming children this year, but there was also the larger in life hoopla over baby George, whose parents married at the same time.

No pressure there, Charlene. :ermm:

Hang on a minute - he is getting older so yes there could be.

Goodness, as if the woman isn't under enough pressure, comments like this put all the onus on her.

I am aware of that, and my comment wasn't meant to be critical of Charlene. I feel tremendous sympathy for her, because if the couple ultimately don't have any children (for whatever reason) she is going to take the blame.

You may no have meant to be critical but you have said on this forum exactly what you think will happen to Charlene - that he's ok therefore it must be her.

But let's be clear - we have no idea of what is happening - no one ever understands any other persons relationships. They may be entirely happy to wait while Charlene feels more confident or he resolves his issues - whatever!

I think we should be more positive.

Guys lets be honest, Albert has 2 children and men can have children up into their 70's; so of they don't have children it is more than likely due to Charlene. With that being said if they don't have children I don't think it would be a big problem. Andrea has been Albert's heir apparent for decades and now he has a son, it's not like the family will go extinct, it's not like win the situation in Japan.
With that being said there is no reason to believe that there is anything amiss with children. They may just be waiting.

I do not thing that if the couple does not have kids, it will be blame for anyone. We are in a modern country, and Monaco is not Japan.
After Albert, there is already 2 adult & one baby male heirs and 2 females.
In Belgium, then Kings Beaudouin and Fabiola, did not had kids. There was no blame for anyone, they were adored by their people, and the throne just passed to his brother.
By the way, does Pcs Alexandra have rights to the Monaco throne?

Yes, I think Princess Alexandra of Hanover is indeed in the Monaco Line of Succession.

I do not thing that if the couple does not have kids, it will be blame for anyone. We are in a modern country, and Monaco is not Japan.
In Belgium, then Kings Beaudouin and Fabiola, did not had kids. There was no blame for anyone, they were adored by their people, and the throne just passed to his brother.
Excellent point. I think that both Albert and Charlene went into this marriage with their eyes open. To them there are no surprises. If they do have children they will have them when they want them. If they don't then I am guessing we would be the only ones surprised.
By the way, does Pcs Alexandra have rights to the Monaco throne?
Yes, as although she is the half sister of the C3, she is still her mother's daughter just like they are and her mother is the heiress presumptive.

Yes, I think Princess Alexandra of Hanover is indeed in the Monaco Line of Succession.

Line of succession to the Monegasque throne

(1) HRH The Princess of Hanover (Princess Caroline; b. 1957)
(2) Andrea Casiraghi (b. 1984)
(3) Pierre Casiraghi (b. 1987)
(4) Charlotte Casiraghi (b. 1986)
(5) HRH Princess Alexandra of Hanover (b. 1999)
(6) HSH Princess Stéphanie (b. 1965)
(7) Louis Ducruet (b. 1992)
(8) Pauline Ducruet (b. 1994)

Sacha Casiraghi (b. 2013) will be 3rd following his parents marriage

And Charlotte's baby will be 6th if his/her parents get married.

Yes, but it is no secret that the Belgian couple really tried to have children, but unfortunately it didn't happen for them...
I hope P.Albert and P.Charlene will not have to suffer the same fate...

There are more untitled members of the Princely Family inline to the Monegasque throne and 3 Princesses!

Back
Top Bottom