Marchais Estate

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I suppose they have household staff for their estates (this one and Roc Agel - I'm not sure if they have others). From what I remember, this estate came into their family in the 19th century. It's six times the size of Monaco! Yes, it's very beautiful. Too bad they don't go there more often!

Thanks Monica for this information... :)

Last edited:
LadyMacAlpine said:
Caption Prince Albert, Princess Stephanie, and Princess Caroline, share a laugh in the living room of their French villa. Two months earlier, Princess Grace, formerly Grace Kelly, the American actress, wife of Prince Rainier and mother of Caroline, Albert, and Stephanie, died in a tragic automobile accident in Monaco. corbis

This is such a lovely picture of the siblings, Lady MacAlpine! :) I have never seen this before, many thanks! And I have finally seen an indoor photo of Marchais. They also have another lovely shot with Prince Rainier, on the same day . They were all sitting next to each other and each person was holding another's arm or hand or hugging the next person. From Corbis, too, I think.

monica17 said:
This is such a lovely picture of the siblings, Lady MacAlpine! :) I have never seen this before, many thanks! And I have finally seen an indoor photo of Marchais. They also have another lovely shot with Prince Rainier, on the same day . They were all sitting next to each other and each person was holding another's arm or hand or hugging the next person. From Corbis, too, I think.

You mean this one:

fam5fs.jpg

(corbis)
...., right ?? It's one of the most beautiful pix of the family...so sweet. :)

I remember that Life magazine ran these pictures (of the family on the bench together and Albert on his motorcycle), probably in 1982 to mark the first anniversary of Grace's death.

I wonder if Caroline had met Casiraghi yet.

sebastian said:
You mean this one:

(corbis)
...., right ?? It's one of the most beautiful pix of the family...so sweet. :)

Yes, Sebastian! Thanks, thanks! I'll never get tired of looking at it :) .... I just forgot where I saw it.

Because people have been asking about the Estate and what it looks like I bumped this thread up.

Because people have been asking about the Estate and what it looks like I bumped this thread up.

Thanks LadyMac. I thought it was more of a chateau. Now I can't find the picture of Albert and Pierre getting out of the car to try and see if it's the same place. The picture of Albert and Pierre looked like it was closer to a main street where the photographers could get a good shot. In order to do that at the entrance of the chateau, they would have to have been invited onto the property unless they had a very strong telephoto lens.

I have two questions on Marchais estate:

1. Was this bought by Countess Antoinette de Merode, who was the wife of Charles III and mother of Albert I? I read somewhere that it was and I'm assuming that the money came from her side of the family?

2. This is obviously a private property of the family so do Princess Antoinette and her children have a share on the property? Assuming # 1 is true, the property's owners were/are: Antoinette de Merode/Charles II, Albert I, Louis, Charlotte then Rainier and Antoinette? Now solely Albert II's?

I have two questions on Marchais estate:

1. Was this bought by Countess Antoinette de Merode, who was the wife of Charles III and mother of Albert I? I read somewhere that it was and I'm assuming that the money came from her side of the family?

2. This is obviously a private property of the family so do Princess Antoinette and her children have a share on the property? Assuming # 1 is true, the property's owners were/are: Antoinette de Merode/Charles II, Albert I, Louis, Charlotte then Rainier and Antoinette? Now solely Albert II's?

Regarding Question No. 2, I will refer to Palace, the book authored by Prince Rainier's nephew/Princess Antoinette's son Buddy. According to Antoinette in her conversation with her son, in Princess Charlotte's dying days, Rainier offered to buy out the rooms that Antoinette and her family occupied instead of pay her half of the actual property. And Antoinette agreed to it out of fear that her brother might cut her off the Civil List.

Marchais shows up for the first time here in the genealogy:

HSH CHARLES III Honoré *1818 XII 8, Paris †1889 IX 10, Château de Marchais; reigning Pr of Monaco 1856 VI 20 × 1846 IX 28 (Brussels) Antoinette Ghislaine Comtesse de Mérode-Westerloo *1828 IX 28, Brussels †1864 II 10, Monaco

Source: monaco

cdm, thanks for the aerial photo of the Marchais estate....

I've been a Wikipedian for many years, but through you I've found Wikimapia !

Great picture of the main house.....

Glistening Seas

:easterbunny:Actually, the Machais & Palais are two of the structures that are quite exquisite to look at. Although the Machais looks like it has far more land??

:rose:Does anyone know if the land that surrounds that stucture belongs to the Monaco family?? if so how many acres is that?? it's a bit hard to tell from the pic because it looks like quite a bit doesn't it?? The roof structure of the Machais house is beautiful and the few fireplace pics i have seen look very cozy & fun place to be. :heartflower:

cdm, thanks for the aerial photo of the Marchais estate....

I've been a Wikipedian for many years, but through you I've found Wikimapia !

Great picture of the main house.....

And I discovered it through a post in Caroline's forum. I'm a Wikimapia addict allready :)

Yesterday during the broadcast of the Tour de France, Versus showed the Chateau de Machais. It was a shot from the helicopter about half way through the Stage 4.

Must be Caros 50th birthday...in one balloon there is the text; 50 years...:)

I saw that too, but it was 2008 so it probably was for Albert's 50th. Were Alex and Caro paying paddle tennis? I'm not sure if I'm calling it the right thing. It's great to see them making use of Marchais. :D

In Wikipedia it says the estate is 700 hectares, 1700 acres U.S. It also says that there was a big scandal in 2005 because PA received $300,000 Euros in farming subsidy money from France.

It appears that the estate is surrounded by a fence and or road but doesn't appear to have much farmland. I don't Know if they own any of the fields outside the fences.

The Grimaldis seem to like the small towns. Marchais is around 350 people.

It reminds me of Sandringham in terms of it being a big grand house set in an estate used for hunting and shooting. We never see the Grimaldis at Christmas so maybe they come here and have a big family gathering the way the British royals do on their estate. Just a thought.

Does Albert own it ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom