The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 09-16-2011, 11:43 PM
Courtier

Mogambo was set in Africa :)

Prince Albert can speak English in American Accent, but Princess Caroline in British Accent? Where did she learn British English?

Old 09-16-2011, 11:50 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhys82192 View Post
Prince Albert can speak English in American Accent, but Princess Caroline in British Accent? Where did she learn British English?
She went to boarding school in England, St. Mary's Ascot for high school. She probably picked up some there.

Old 09-17-2011, 10:30 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhys82192 View Post
Mogambo was set in Africa :)

A lot depends on who teaches them the language. Here in the States we have several different accents. Their governess was British and Albert spend summers at Camp in the States, four years in Massachusetts at college plus New York City while he was interning. Grace would have also had an influence on the accent.
Old 09-17-2011, 12:00 PM
Heir Apparent

Well Grace when she dropped the Philly accent did adopt a sort of British accent, and then you have to remember that Caroline spent time at school in England.
Old 09-17-2011, 12:06 PM
Serene Highness

Prince Rainier spoke excellent British. He also went to boarding school for a time in England. Plus, most people in Europe speak with a British accent.
Old 09-17-2011, 12:24 PM
Courtier

Alexandra talking english with her german dad?
I think that's kind of weird
Old 09-18-2011, 01:00 AM
Nobility

Her dad is a British Royal actually. Only German by descent. Now, if Germany/Hanover were still a territorial monarchy, he would be considered a German Royal. Ernest grew up in England (and married and began to raise his sons with Chantal there) and Germany, therefore speaks both English and German. He and Alexandra probably speak English and German with each other.

According to the College FANB website, Alexandra could possibly be taking classes in Latin, English (which we believe she's already fluent in), Spanish, Italian, German (which we believe she's already fluent in) and of course, French in her grade level. {source}.
Old 09-18-2011, 07:26 AM
Courtier

Ok maybe that's my fault for believing (almost) everything that's printed in the press.
Ernst August is german to them so I got on the wrong track
Old 09-18-2011, 01:13 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thtregoddess11 View Post

Her dad is a British Royal actually. . {source}.
I doubt if the BRF or the British people would consider him a British Royal or even just Britsh regardless of how much time he has spent in the UK. He is a German, even though he used to have a rather distant place in the British line of succession.
Old 09-18-2011, 02:12 PM
Serene Highness

And Swahili is the largest single language in Africa. So perhaps Grace was conversational/conversant.

People inside of families often use different languages in speaking to one another (One speaks English, the other responds in German, all kinds of combinations). That's actually the best way to raise multilingual children.

I am surprised that Grace is listed as fluent in French if her husband always spoke to her in English, though. One would think he would have wanted to sometimes communicate in the nuances that French allows (just as English has its rich vocabulary, it also sometimes lacks words for some French parole).
Old 09-18-2011, 02:46 PM
Heir Apparent

Well in one of Graces biographies Father Tucker is quoted as saying Rainier once commented on how good Graces French was and Tucker responded that he knew love was blind but he did not know it was deaf as well.
Old 09-19-2011, 07:16 AM
Courtier

It's not a "real" language but I've heard that Princess Charlene can "speak" sign language because one of her swimming colleagues is deaf.
Old 09-19-2011, 08:17 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGalitzine View Post
Well in one of Graces biographies Father Tucker is quoted as saying Rainier once commented on how good Graces French was and Tucker responded that he knew love was blind but he did not know it was deaf as well.
I rememeber reading somewhere that PCs Grace, all her life as a Princess was very anxious and complexed about her bad french. So I doubt that her French was good, considering that at home she was speaking english to every one.
Old 09-19-2011, 10:18 AM
Heir Apparent

Location: Somewhere in the middle of the River Po Valley, Italy
It was reported that Caroline and Ernst August talked in English to each other, so no wonder if Alexandra speaks English with her father too. I also read that EA prefers speaking English than German.
Old 09-19-2011, 12:52 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGalitzine View Post
I doubt if the BRF or the British people would consider him a British Royal or even just Britsh regardless of how much time he has spent in the UK. He is a German, even though he used to have a rather distant place in the British line of succession.
He's a descendant of George IV. And Electress Sophia. He's a British Royal.
Old 09-19-2011, 01:58 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thtregoddess11 View Post
He's a descendant of George IV. And Electress Sophia. He's a British Royal.
I'm with NGalitzine on this one.

He is only a rather 'distant relation' of the BRF. EA is NOT a British Subject. I doubt if the Queen would regard him as a member of the Royal Family. EA was only ever distantly in the line of succession, but gave up that right when he married Caroline, as she is a Catholic. I stand to be corrected on this one, but personally I have NEVER seen him at Royal Events. He may of course be present, but I have never seen him at one. Perhaps some expert can help me with this, please?
Old 09-19-2011, 03:18 PM
Heir Apparent

EA is not descended from George IV. That Kings only legitimate child was Charlotte and she died in child birth, a death that would unltimately put Victoria on the throne. To consider EA a member of the BRF you would also have to say the same of Harold, Carl Gustaf, Margarethe , along with hundreds of others, who also descend from Electress Sophia and who still do have distant places in the succession.
Old 09-20-2011, 02:24 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diarist View Post
I'm with NGalitzine on this one.

He is only a rather 'distant relation' of the BRF. EA is NOT a British Subject. I doubt if the Queen would regard him as a member of the Royal Family. EA was only ever distantly in the line of succession, but gave up that right when he married Caroline, as she is a Catholic. I stand to be corrected on this one, but personally I have NEVER seen him at Royal Events. He may of course be present, but I have never seen him at one. Perhaps some expert can help me with this, please?
Correct on the fact he is not a british subject. Incorrect not to call him a British Royal. If he's not a british royal, then why is his full official title (E-A Jr, Christian and Alexandra's with their respective names for that matter):
His Royal Highness Prince Ernst August of Hanover, Duke of Brunswick-Lüneburg, Prince of Great Britain and Ireland and why was he in line for the throne until his marriage to Caroline?
He's a British Royal. End of story.
Old 09-20-2011, 02:30 AM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Month Representative - Monaco and Sweden

Time to get back to the topic of this thread, if you wish to discuss more topics concerning
Prince Ernst August of Hanover, please use the following thread:

** Prince Ernst August (V) and the Royal House of Hanover (March 2008-) **
Old 09-20-2011, 02:09 PM
Heir Apparent

Can someone give me a link from PA wedding where i can hear the speeches of charlotte, alex and camille?