The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 10-12-2006, 10:09 AM
Heir Apparent

Location: Somewhere in the middle of the River Po Valley, Italy
BTW Daniel Ducruet is really fluent in Italian. He has a strong French accent, but he speaks very well. Perhaps that's because his mother is half Italian.

Old 10-13-2006, 08:40 PM
Gentry

What languages did Stefano and Caroline speak together? I know when they first met it was in London and it was English. What languages does Carolein speak with stefanos side of the family. Since Caroline is reportedly fluent but others say no she is not.

Old 10-13-2006, 08:55 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucia Rose
What languages did Stefano and Caroline speak together? I know when they first met it was in London and it was English. What languages does Carolein speak with stefanos side of the family. Since Caroline is reportedly fluent but others say no she is not.
I bet Caro speaks Italian with his family, but I don't know for sure what language they spoke to eachother. I read somewhere it was French, but don't hold me to it.

Ani
Old 06-11-2008, 09:36 PM
Gentry

Accents and Languages

I didn't notice anyone had posted about this. What languages do Albert, Stephanie and Caroline speak? Since their mother was American, wouldn't English be the first language they spoke?

Stephanie has a very strong East Coast accent, Albert is mixed, but i'm assuming that because he lived on both coasts.

Do their kids speak English? If so they probably sound British.
Old 06-11-2008, 09:37 PM
Royal Highness

I've heard Princess Caroline speak, and she has a British accent.
Old 06-11-2008, 09:58 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter62986 View Post
What languages do Albert, Stephanie and Caroline speak? Since their mother was American, wouldn't English be the first language they spoke?

Stephanie has a very strong East Coast accent, Albert is mixed, but i'm assuming that because he lived on both coasts.

Do their kids speak English? If so they probably sound British.
I don't know all of the languages the trio speaks, but the languages include:
  • Prince Albert speaks Monégasque, French, American, Spanish, German, Italian.
  • Princess Caroline speaks Monégasque, French, English, German, Italian.
  • Princess Stephanie speaks Monégasque, French, American, Spanish.
Take a look at message #3 in this thread to get a better feel.
Old 06-11-2008, 10:53 PM
Nobility

All I can say is: wow. I thought I read somewhere that none of them spoke Monegasque. That is a very difficult language to learn, trust me. I've been trying for years, and it still comes out sounding very Parisian. My friend who has lived in Monaco her whole life makes fun of me when I attempt to speak it, and I speak english, french, spanish, german, and am learning italian, so I can't understand why I can't do it right. It's quite exasperating acctually.

Oh, and someone asked if Monegasque is a mix of French and Italian. Yes, it is, but with a bit of german sylables in there too, though it's usually spoken in an Italian pronunciation except for a few letters from French and German roots. It derives from Northern Italy.

Old 06-12-2008, 12:10 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by smdouglas View Post
I don't know all of the languages the trio speaks, but the languages include:
  • Prince Albert speaks Monégasque, French, American, Spanish, German, Italian.
  • Princess Caroline speaks Monégasque, French, English, German, Italian.
  • Princess Stephanie speaks Monégasque, French, American, Spanish.
Take a look at message #3 in this thread to get a better feel.
"American" is not a langauge. If you're talking about American English, then it would be better to either write American English or English (American).
Old 06-12-2008, 01:51 AM
Courtier

I have seen interviews on American television and Albert, Caroline and Stephanie all speak English. Albert sounds very American, Caroline a bit posh American (hint of British English) and Stephanie very American.
Stepahnie had a voice just like a little girl's voice - I was amazed.
Old 06-12-2008, 04:27 AM
Gentry

You're right American is not really a language. American is a dialect of English, and it can be hard to understand some British if you're American.

Thank you for you're responses.
Old 06-12-2008, 02:30 PM
Aristocracy

I have read, several places, that Caroline and Stefano spoke Italian together and that she spoke French to the children. Charlotte speaks excellant English (reported by people who heard her at recent events in London) but she has a French accent. I am sure the boys speak English too, and it is common knowledge they speak Italian as well (if they have a French accent doing so, I don't know). Caroline'a sounds slightly British, but there is definitely a foreign element there, she has a slight French accent in English. However she was at boarding outside London, so that would account for her 'Britishness'.
Old 06-12-2008, 05:16 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter62986 View Post
You're right American is not really a language. American is a dialect of English, and it can be hard to understand some British if you're American.
...and visa versa
Old 06-13-2008, 03:41 AM
Gentry

Caroline's "Britishness" would be a few things. I know from family that Europeans are taught to have a British accent and if they don't they fail or receive a lower grade. Going to boarding school in England would add to the accent. Lastly, I don't think she spent much time in America like her siblings so she never had time to acquire the American accent
Old 06-13-2008, 10:21 PM
Commoner

Going back to the kind of accents Albert, Caroline and Stephanie have... I remember Prince Albert was on Larry King Live like six months after his father had passed. I couldn't find the actual interview, but here is the transcript, CNN.com - Transcripts. Larry points out that the Prince stutters.

KING: As a child, did you have a stuttering problem?

ALBERT: You know, yes.

KING: Sometimes in your speech ...

ALBERT: Yes, I have been asked that, yes. Well, because I always try to look for the best possible word and sometimes it doesn't always come. But yes, I did have a bit of a problem as a kid. And I don't know how it came about, what emotional trauma.

Maybe I'll stumble accross the video, but I do remember his accent and it sounded "normal" to me. (If there is such a thing.) He spoke in a "not here, not there" American accent.

P.S.
Here is another transcript from a previous appearance, Prince Albert pops in and out. The topic of conversation is Princess Grace and the foundation named after her. CNN.com - Transcripts
Old 06-17-2008, 08:34 PM
Serene Highness

What is the difference between Monagasque and French? I've never been to Monaco, so I know I've never heard anyone speak it - are there any videos of them giving an interview in Monagasque?
Old 06-17-2008, 09:14 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horseygal View Post
What is the difference between Monagasque and French? I've never been to Monaco, so I know I've never heard anyone speak it - are there any videos of them giving an interview in Monagasque?
Basically, Monégasque is a mixture of Italian and French. Wikipedia discusses the Monégasque language, but gives no audio examples. Maybe someone else has a video/audio example of the language.
Old 06-10-2010, 09:49 PM
Royal Highness

Apparently Caro can read in Greek and Latin.She studied Greek for the longest while.
I know her language count is five and that is with Greek and Latin
Old 06-10-2010, 10:12 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaya View Post
Apparently Caro can read in Greek and Latin.She studied Greek for the longest while.
I know her language count is five and that is with Greek and Latin

She said in an interview she can read Italian, Spanish, English. We know she learnt some German, i don´t know how fluent she is though. But it makes more than 5 is she knows Latin ( probably from University) and Greek.
Old 06-11-2010, 03:18 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosana View Post
She said in an interview she can read Italian, Spanish, English. We know she learnt some German, i don´t know how fluent she is though. But it makes more than 5 is she knows Latin ( probably from University) and Greek.
Like Jaya said, her language count is five but that is French, English, Spanish, Italian and German. At least according to her official biography on the palace website. She speaks French and English perfectly fluently (When I lived in Paris, I frequented the Café de Flore, where she also went and have seen her in other places in Paris, though never met her, and heard her speaking both English and French fluently). Whether or not she speaks Italian fluently is slightly debatable (there were some on this forum a while back that said they didn't think Caroline spoke Italian fluently, though I don't know if that is still the case) though Josh Grant, a dancer with Les Ballets Trockadero de Monte Carlo, wrote that Caroline held a lengthy conversation in Italian with one of the other dancers at the dinner after the Dance Forum. Caroline said in an interview with ELLE in the early eighties that she speaks Spanish, albeit "badly" (her words, not mine) though that may have changed and she said in the same interview that she speaks German though we know from when she testified at the beginning of this year that she doesn't seem to speak German with enough fluency for the court.
As for reading Greek and Latin, that is relatively mandatory for all school students in Europe. I did the same when I was at school. You are usually given passages to read and translate in Greek and Latin. And I'm sure that Caroline, being as intelligent as she is, has retained most of that.
Old 07-08-2010, 02:50 AM
Nobility

I'd go with the palace website on who speaks what language. I'm pretty sure Steph speaks Spanish fluently, as I've seen interviews and listened to some of her music in Spanish. I've also read in places that Pauline and Louis speak English and French fluently, as well as lang Monaguesque; I imagine Camille is about the same. As for The Casiraghi trio, I've read that they speak French, Italian, and English fluently, as well as a smitten of German and Portuguese. Maybe some Spanish as well. I've also read that Charlotte prefers to speak Italian, and Pierre has been seen speaking with friends in a mix of English and Italian.
I imagine they talk like many multi-lingual families I know-starting a conversation in one language and finishing it in a completely different one than it originally started in, and everyone involved in the conversation gets it completely.