International homage to H.S.H. Princess Grace of Monaco

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I agree, that they all should have been there, but you have to move away from the picture here. If they all would have showed together with Charlene in tow, that would have been a clear message to the media. The exhibition was a family affair of which Charlene is no part. As his wife she would have had every right and duty to be there, though leaving the main spotlight on the siblings. But as his girlfriend she has no place there and if that means that part of the family will not show up in order to not send this message around the world then it would have been only too natural to leave her at home. Albert has once again shown how undiplomatic and pigheaded he is. He is almost 50 and seems to be repeating the mistakes that his father made in his late 20s early 30s. This is the same type of desaster that he managed to create around Alex' recognition. I should have thought that now that he has advice that he would b able to handle these matters better. But obviously I'm wrong.

Btw you are right about Mme Gallico. If she would have been there to help Charlene, she would have been nearby. I suppose she just went to honour her late friend. Besides, she hasn't been at any previous events at her side, events that she always attended.

Thank you paca. That's exactly my point.

I agree, that they all should have been there, but you have to move away from the picture here. If they all would have showed together with Charlene in tow, that would have been a clear message to the media. The exhibition was a family affair of which Charlene is no part. As his wife she would have had every right and duty to be there, though leaving the main spotlight on the siblings. But as his girlfriend she has no place there and if that means that part of the family will not show up in order to not send this message around the world then it would have been only too natural to leave her at home. Albert has once again shown how undiplomatic and pigheaded he is.....
I think most people will agree that Prince Albert has truly made a mockery semblance of protcol when he has Charlene accompany and actually preside with him at certain events. I don't think anyone can think of similar examples where other monarchs have done the same. BUT, I think in Albert's mind (it's funny writing that because I really don't think he is thinking with the head on his shoulder), but I think in Albert's mind he has separated his duties into official dutites and leisure ones. Hence, he probably thinks that it's ok to take Charlene to leisure ones. Notice how he separated the St Jean event from the mass and the festival. The problem with that explanation is that there is no line when it comes to appearance. When everyone stands and claps for the Sovereign Prince as he walks into an event (even a leisure one) AND he has Charlene walking in right beside him (even before his Minister of State Proust) he is giving the message that his mistress is now his consort. There's this comedy love story that I love called The American President starring Michael Douglas (playing the American president) and Annette Benning (playing his girlfirend). There's a scene where the President invites his girlfriend to a state dinner with France, but he tells her she cannot walk down the stairs with him during the entrance because of protocol. Of course she undrestands and she meets him after the entrance. At the minmum, this is what I believe that Prince Albert should do at events where he feels that he just have to take Charlene.

Btw you are right about Mme Gallico. If she would have been there to help Charlene, she would have been nearby. I suppose she just went to honour her late friend. Besides, she hasn't been at any previous events at her side, events that she always attended
Again, I still feel that as Mme Gallico did (and hundreds of others who went to honor Princess Grace at the opening), so should have Princess Caroline - honor her mother. I really do understand the opposing comments (and I am definitely not a Charlene fan), but this exhibition is not about Charlene - it's about Princess Grace. That's the message I wanted Caroline to send. I guess I am bias because I am a Grace Kelly fan (i really didn't follow her life as a Princess) and I think in just her short career she made a couple of pretty good movies that I would like to see another generation of at least Americans enjoy. In America, they still show clips of Grace's movies when ever they rarely mention Monaco (outside of baby mama scandals). In America, Monaco is still attached to Grace's memory for now. All three of the Grimaldis need to present a united front to promote their mother's legacy. When they don't, it just brings to surface more Grimaldi soap operas which, seems to be the only reason they make at least the U.S. press now.

I'm catching up on the Monaco threads today, and I'm just surprised at all the "drama" going on with this homage. If the assumptions are true, then I find it kind of sad that the homage has turned into "conflict" among the siblings.

Caroline can really be stubborn when it comes to her siblings' choice of partners - just remember what happened with Stephanie for so long. But I'm also surprised at Albert allowing Charlene to take part; they could see each other anytime, why here at this particular event? I don't expect any discretion from Charlene nor any "scruples" to give way so that there won't be any conflicts. She seems to like her "role" so much to give way to any sense of propriety.

I just hope this is over soon. And yes, I agree with the posts, especially Charlene (or Albert) not getting on the good side of Steph or Caro on this!

Last edited:
My Adia, thanks for the videolink. I believe Charlene was at the exhibition too. Albert is greated by a tall blond woman in a redpatterned haltertop dress. It's in the beginning of the video. Steph doesn't seem to pay attention to her at all. The blackdress she wore to the dinner seems to be the one she wore last year to the music festival (with again freshly dyed hair). There is one quick pic of someone speaking at the dinner. Unfortunetely I can't make out whether it is Steph, but other then that I didn't see her at the dinner.
Interesting that all Monegasques have free entrance to the exhibition. Too bad that it is not open long enough for the schools to organize visits. It would be very nice for the students to see too as part of their local history classes.
when you see "journal du soir monaco info" video (thanks My Adia) and when you speak french... you can notice that "Charlene W." word is never said. they speak about party, we can see her.. but nothing... Last year her name was used. "Melle Charlene Witt... accompagnait le Prince Albert".or " Le Prince Albert et Melle C Witt..."

I think most people will agree that Prince Albert has truly made a mockery semblance of protcol when he has Charlene accompany and actually preside with him at certain events. I don't think anyone can think of similar examples where other monarchs have done the same. BUT, I think in Albert's mind (it's funny writing that because I really don't think he is thinking with the head on his shoulder), but I think in Albert's mind he has separated his duties into official dutites and leisure ones. Hence, he probably thinks that it's ok to take Charlene to leisure ones. Notice how he separated the St Jean event from the mass and the festival. The problem with that explanation is that there is no line when it comes to appearance. When everyone stands and claps for the Sovereign Prince as he walks into an event (even a leisure one) AND he has Charlene walking in right beside him (even before his Minister of State Proust) he is giving the message that his mistress is now his consort. There's this comedy love story that I love called The American President starring Michael Douglas (playing the American president) and Annette Benning (playing his girlfirend). There's a scene where the President invites his girlfriend to a state dinner with France, but he tells her she cannot walk down the stairs with him during the entrance because of protocol. Of course she undrestands and she meets him after the entrance. At the minmum, this is what I believe that Prince Albert should do at events where he feels that he just have to take Charlene.

Again, I still feel that as Mme Gallico did (and hundreds of others who went to honor Princess Grace at the opening), so should have Princess Caroline - honor her mother. I really do understand the opposing comments (and I am definitely not a Charlene fan), but this exhibition is not about Charlene - it's about Princess Grace. That's the message I wanted Caroline to send. I guess I am bias because I am a Grace Kelly fan (i really didn't follow her life as a Princess) and I think in just her short career she made a couple of pretty good movies that I would like to see another generation of at least Americans enjoy. In America, they still show clips of Grace's movies when ever they rarely mention Monaco (outside of baby mama scandals). In America, Monaco is still attached to Grace's memory for now. All three of the Grimaldis need to present a united front to promote their mother's legacy. When they don't, it just brings to surface more Grimaldi soap operas which, seems to be the only reason they make at least the U.S. press now.

Maybe at this point Caroline can view the exhibition with her children and be photographed so that people understand she is not slighting her Mother. I agree Albert is not thinking correctly.

Caroline is doing what she did with most if not all of stephanie lover choices but still she should have showed up and so Steph did snub Charlene at the event ?

There are still other exhibition openings I guess...several articles I've read (one posted here I think) say that it'll be in Paris, London, and NYC, not sure about Paris and London considering the fact the expo in Monaco ends Sept. 23 and begins Oct. 15 in NYC, but maybe Caroline could show up at the NYC opening. And if there is a Paris expo I'm pretty sure we might see her and her children and friends there.

Caroline is doing what she did with most if not all of stephanie lover choices but still she should have showed up and so Steph did snub Charlene at the event ?
I didn't know that. But I have to say this. Wasn't she right about the character of Stephanie's choices in men? Maybe Caroline has a special sense of discernement when it comes to people, like her father seem to have. Caroline hasn't snubbed all of Albert's previous girlfriends, so perhaps there are some legitimate reasons. However, I don't agree with shutting out your love ones because you don't like their choices - setting boundaries yes. I really believe that in time scheming people tend to reveal their true selves and motives (unfortunately sometimes it happens after the marriage). In this case, the exhibit is about honoring Princess Grace and Caroline should have been there instead of lying out on a yacht with her family. Imagine if her mother snubbed her when she married her first husband Junot. From what I read, Grace was clearly not happy with her daughter's choice, but she stood by her daughter. And, in short time Junot's true self was revealed to Caroline. Scheming people normally cannot maintain their ill begotten gains once they win the game. Hence, why I feel that Caroline should have sucked up what's ever bothering her and attended the exhibition opening that was ONLY about her mother and her legacy.

I agree, that they all should have been there, but you have to move away from the picture here. If they all would have showed together with Charlene in tow, that would have been a clear message to the media. The exhibition was a family affair of which Charlene is no part. As his wife she would have had every right and duty to be there, though leaving the main spotlight on the siblings. But as his girlfriend she has no place there and if that means that part of the family will not show up in order to not send this message around the world then it would have been only too natural to leave her at home. Albert has once again shown how undiplomatic and pigheaded he is. ...........
Btw you are right about Mme Gallico. If she would have been there to help Charlene, she would have been nearby. I suppose she just went to honour her late friend. Besides, she hasn't been at any previous events at her side, events that she always attended.
Now Albert is taking her in his luggages...she's not hidden... for the moment.........

I didn't know that. But I have to say this. Wasn't she right about the character of Stephanie's choices in men? Maybe Caroline has a special sense of discernement when it comes to people, like her father seem to have. Caroline hasn't snubbed all of Albert's previous girlfriends, so perhaps there are some legitimate reasons. However, I don't agree with shutting out your love ones because you don't like their choices - setting boundaries yes. I really believe that in time scheming people tend to reveal their true selves and motives (unfortunately sometimes it happens after the marriage). In this case, the exhibit is about honoring Princess Grace and Caroline should have been there instead of lying out on a yacht with her family. Imagine if her mother snubbed her when she married her first husband Junot. From what I read, Grace was clearly not happy with her daughter's choice, but she stood by her daughter. And, in short time Junot's true self was revealed to Caroline. Scheming people normally cannot maintain their ill begotten gains once they win the game. Hence, why I feel that Caroline should have sucked up what's ever bothering her and attended the exhibition opening that was ONLY about her mother and her legacy.

A Mother/daughter relationship is different from a sibling one but having said that I see what you are saying. Perhaps Caroline could have made an earlier entrance before Albert to show that she and her family were there and then disappeared before Albert arrived. But the problem was he wanted the grand entrance lined with people like the Queen of England does which would have made it hard for Caroline to do. Also I think if she went and snubbed Charlene people would have commented on that too. Thus she was damned if she did and damned if she didn't and as paca pointed out the press would have had a bigger field day with the event and less and less of it would have been focused on Grace. I think under the circumstances she did the right thing. Sibling issues can be huge and hard to resolve sucking up sometimes no matter what may not be in everyone's best interest and again I blame Albert and his grandiosity of self. The video says it all with the entrance.

Caroline Standing in her own Truth

I am very proud of HSH Princess Caroline for whatever reasons she has not turned up anywhere. Good for her and her truency. Caro is no hypocrite.She is standing valiantly in her own truth whatever that maybe.Maybe beyond and within there are reasons only she knows about that she does not wish to divulge by being in public and I commend her for that because it takes courage to do what you feel and know is right for you and not acquiesce.
In these hypothetically destabilizing moments Caro is proving to be a dowager and dragon lady and I cannot help but admire someone who is true to themselves first for only then can they be true to Monaco.I think her Princess Grace would be proud of all her three children.
Deo Juvante

Last edited:
Im sorry where it the video of this event at?

Caroline does not have to "suck up" anything because she is Princess Caroline a very special person indeed. If this is a critical juncture she may have reasons beyond Charlene or family just thoughts of her mother and perhaps she does not want to dredge the depths. I think it is fabulous that she did not go. She was close to her mom she has the experience the memories everything.She may be privy to other information we do not know. Have you ever considered that it just might be painful for her in more ways than one?Maybe Caro did not like the organization or something of the event.
I think she does not have to go anywhere she does not want to... and I commend her for her truth and honesty.. in an era when women will fly off tall buildings for a tiara....and Caro stands in peace..truth and honour..... having earned these through hard lessons and the right way.

Yes Jaya, you might be right about other reasons for Caro not to go. Yes she has her memories, good ones and bad ones. They are her memories which no one can take away. We consider this exhibition an hommage to Grace, but there is also a flip side. Grace has served to draw attention to Monaco when she was alive and in death. Monaco has survived for a long time on the fairytale and the myth of Grace. She was surely a remarkable person, but we should not forget that she was also a human being with all the frailties, suffering and joy that entails. She wasn't infallible as many believe and surely has had her share of bad decisions in life. This exhibition surely draws a lot of attention to Monaco and revives the myth and fairytale. Monaco might survive another couple of years on this. But in some way this hommage is also a travelling circus abusing Grace even in death to generate publicity for Monaco, due to lack of other ways to draw peoples attention. Of course the anniversary of her death is a tempting date, but maybe the anniversary of her wedding to Rainier would have been more appropriate as the Kelly years as is the subtitle of the exhibition only began with that marriage. the anniversary of her tragic end might still rouse some sadness. it is understandable to do sth special on the occasion, but in some way it is also a little tasteless. I'm not so sure if Grace and Rainier would have wanted us to see their loveletters revealed. From what I see from the pics the exhibition has been done with great care, and for us outsiders it is a great opportunity to learn more about that admired person, but when you take a look at the personality of Grace and also of Rainier, both in spite of the displayed family life, very private people and only showing as much as was considered necessary to run Monaco, do you really think that those 2 would have approved to have their loveletters publicly displayed? If so, then we might have seen them earlier, don't you think? This is an exhibition that is bordering on voyeurism and would probably have been more appropriate two more generations from now to justify a historical and cultural value. This might not be Caros reasoning, especially since she has been involved in the organizational part. Though she might have had second thoughts. who knows? But I believe that Caro has honoured her mother by the way she took over her role at the side of her father and continued to do so in spite of her own tragedies in life when the occasion called for it.

Paca great post. It was a bit odd to me too, exposing those letters...
I can't help but wonder how Charlene feels (if she feels anything) seeing the homage dedicated to person whose role she might (hopefully wont) take.
I admire Caroline on an attitude, btw.

Caroline has shown great energy visiting friends, attending royal events, and other public activities.

We have all witnessed how tireless she has been in presenting a very regal and world-class image of Monaco to the world.

However, Caroline, this is when you are needed the most!!! To be with your brother (who it seems is not a natural-born ruler and has been rather reckless with his decision-making) and sister (who has not really been deemed too highly by royal circles because of her lack of regard for her royal status) in honor of a woman who has, after all, placed you and your family in global consciousness, put respectability in your family, and enriched your principality.

Looking at the picures of the event -- by the way, THANK YOU to those who provided the links :flowers: -- I now have a more special respect for Stephanie. This is the child who was with the woman being honored during the horrific crash, the one who had to bear the tremendous guilt of surviving, who had to hear people say "Why was Grace the one who had to die?" and had to live through suspicion that she was responsible for her mother's death.

I believe it was very agonizing for Stephanie to go through this exhibit. Her love for her mother is unquestionable and memories of their family life are very welcome, but I am sure the last moments of her mother's life, what they shared in that vehicle that fateful day, resurfaced in her mind. And as much as Stephanie is a stunning woman, it takes courage to be photographed next to large portraits of your flawless mother.

Stephanie, you are a true princess. You go, girl!

Royrrules, that's an interesting post you've made - with several true aspects:)

Michelle, thanks for those screenshots you made, seems like a private moment and a wonderful
smile the sibblings shared :flowers:

And Noirfabi, thanks a lot for scanning in the clippings, a very nice retrospective the magazine
made, some very rare pics are included..

Thanks for those scans, noirfabi! It seems they include some very rare portraits..real tresure!:flowers:

Nice caps, michelle! As iceflower said, it's perfectly caught private moment..all smiles...:)

I agree, that they all should have been there, but you have to move away from the picture here. If they all would have showed together with Charlene in tow, that would have been a clear message to the media. The exhibition was a family affair of which Charlene is no part. As his wife she would have had every right and duty to be there, though leaving the main spotlight on the siblings. But as his girlfriend she has no place there and if that means that part of the family will not show up in order to not send this message around the world then it would have been only too natural to leave her at home. Albert has once again shown how undiplomatic and pigheaded he is. He is almost 50 and seems to be repeating the mistakes that his father made in his late 20s early 30s. This is the same type of desaster that he managed to create around Alex' recognition. I should have thought that now that he has advice that he would b able to handle these matters better. But obviously I'm wrong.

I could not agree more!

I am just catching up on posts here & I cannot believe Albert would bring Charlene to this event! So far he seemed at least not to be so clueless as to bring Charlene to events related to her tribute, and I have already mentioned in another post, what I think of Albert promoting Charlene at his mothers & sisters expense, just during this year bringing Charlene front & center during this time. I am really shocked he would have Charlene there, the more he is left to his own counsel, the more I do not like Albert, it is beyond being naive, he is disrespectful.

I am glad Caroline did not go, because it was for HER mother that she has been working her hardest all these years "doing the heavy lifting" as one poster put it. She has been the one paying tribute & keeping her mother's memory alive in the most honorable way. I am sure Caroline saw this as not only an ignorant thing to do on Albert's part, but it was probably seen by Caroline as an insult to her mother & she did not appreciate being forced to participate in it. I would have been disappointed in her if she had gone! I am sorry Stephanie went! however nice it is to see her. I think they need to send a loud message to Albert as those are the only ones he seems to get!
I cannot believe Albert would bring his now overly public consort to honor his mother, having her in tow, which is exactly what it was! really disgraceful.
If anyone should have bit the bullet, It should have been Albert & Charlene, not Caroline. So inappropriate these two!!- it's mind boggling :bang::bang::bang:
Caroline has worked so hard in keeping her mother's memory alive & then Albert making it unbearable for her to be present. I have had a very similar experience in my life with my siblings, regarding honoring my mother's memory
which was twice as bad becuase I knew my mom, out of all of us would have wanted me handling it!

I got a too bad! Get over it attitude from my siblings & I have to say that I did not feel I had to endure a slap in the face, nor did my mother. So I chose to honor my mother in my own way, as I felt out of all of us, I am my mothers daughter & she would have felt & acted the same way that I did, Just as I believe Caroline is her mother's daughter, Princess Grace would have done just as Caroline did. She would have been more proud of Caroline for sticking to her integrity, than of Albert to insist on having his girlfriend tag along at the cost of his his sister who is the very one who belonged there. Charlene herself should have chose not to participate, if she had any integrity? These two really do deserve each other & all the mess they are going to make of there lives. I am sorry it is going to be at the expense of Monaco's image.

The ballet is Caroline's, but I think she should dump the rest of the lot into Albert & his girlfriend's inept laps. I have a feeling she will be a no show at the Red Cross ball if Charlene attends, as I am thinking a lot of other people who usually like to go and actually pay for tickets in the past might do - who wants to pay to rub shoulders with Albert & Charlene, since they have already made themselves nauseatingly assessable. I'm sorry I have no hope any more.

I had read there was going to be something of a tribute for Princess Grace in Los Angeles, this would make sense, she was a Hollywood actress. But I have seen nothing, does anybody else know anything?

I must be clueless myself, or have missed a lot in the posts, but how do we know Caroline did not attend because Charlene was going to be there ? Is there bad blood between them ?

I must be clueless myself, or have missed a lot in the posts, but how do we know Caroline did not attend because Charlene was going to be there ? Is there bad blood between them ?
We don't, but the rumour was running through MOnaco for some time. Besides we know that she wasn't sick as she was dining in the same restaurant as Jack nicholson, who attended the opening, the night before the opening. Caro is very talented in being outspoken whilst remaining silent and people who live here, know how to understand the messages she is sending them. Here is a little preview on what POint de vue is going o bring this week. Point de Vue  .:.  En Couverture

We don't, but the rumour was running through MOnaco for some time. Besides we know that she wasn't sick as she was dining in the same restaurant as Jack nicholson, who attended the opening, the night before the opening. Caro is very talented in being outspoken whilst remaining silent and people who live here, know how to understand the messages she is sending them. Here is a little preview on what POint de vue is going o bring this week. Point de Vue *.:.* En Couverture

Mmm, so the press picked up the story, even thought they don't connect Caro's absence to a family feud...the fact that it is "Point de Vue" and not a gossip tabloid to remark her absence makes it even more meaningful; once again, we have to wait for the Red Cross and see! BTW, I'm not only curious about Caro's (and kids) presence at this point, but also Steph's. What do you think?

ETA: sorry for my English, I meant Steph's presence, not her kids'. I actually don't care about her kids presence at all, but as she was often absent at the big balls, I'm wondering if she'll go this year.

Last edited:
Mmm, so the press picked up the story, even thought they don't connect Caro's absence to a family feud...the fact that it is "Point de Vue" and not a gossip tabloid to remark her absence makes it even more meaningful; once again, we have to wait for the Red Cross and see! BTW, I'm not only curious about Caro's (and kids) presence at this point, but also Steph's. What do you think?

Doesn't Steph usually keep her kids away from the official events? I would imagine they are all still a little young to be attending balls anyway. I know I would have been bored to tears at that age.

agreed

Yes Jaya, you might be right about other reasons for Caro not to go. Yes she has her memories, good ones and bad ones. They are her memories which no one can take away. We consider this exhibition an hommage to Grace, but there is also a flip side. Grace has served to draw attention to Monaco when she was alive and in death. Monaco has survived for a long time on the fairytale and the myth of Grace. She was surely a remarkable person, but we should not forget that she was also a human being with all the frailties, suffering and joy that entails. She wasn't infallible as many believe and surely has had her share of bad decisions in life. This exhibition surely draws a lot of attention to Monaco and revives the myth and fairytale. Monaco might survive another couple of years on this. But in some way this hommage is also a travelling circus abusing Grace even in death to generate publicity for Monaco, due to lack of other ways to draw peoples attention. Of course the anniversary of her death is a tempting date, but maybe the anniversary of her wedding to Rainier would have been more appropriate as the Kelly years as is the subtitle of the exhibition only began with that marriage. the anniversary of her tragic end might still rouse some sadness. it is understandable to do sth special on the occasion, but in some way it is also a little tasteless. I'm not so sure if Grace and Rainier would have wanted us to see their loveletters revealed. From what I see from the pics the exhibition has been done with great care, and for us outsiders it is a great opportunity to learn more about that admired person, but when you take a look at the personality of Grace and also of Rainier, both in spite of the displayed family life, very private people and only showing as much as was considered necessary to run Monaco, do you really think that those 2 would have approved to have their loveletters publicly displayed? If so, then we might have seen them earlier, don't you think? This is an exhibition that is bordering on voyeurism and would probably have been more appropriate two more generations from now to justify a historical and cultural value. This might not be Caros reasoning, especially since she has been involved in the organizational part. Though she might have had second thoughts. who knows? But I believe that Caro has honoured her mother by the way she took over her role at the side of her father and continued to do so in spite of her own tragedies in life when the occasion called for it.
hi paca,
Brilliant post and I wholeheartedly agree with most of what you have again given another dimension to. I have already written that I found the idea of transporting Grace's gowns and tiaras around not inspiring for me personally. I would have had a cine retro of Grace's movies and invited Heads Of State. to a gala celebrating her life......the part of her life that pivoted her to Monaco...... as for the love letters being displayed I think that both Rainier and Grace would not have approved ... however...
thanks again paca...

Can you tell me why she disapproves of Charlene ? Apart from the "signs" she sends the community about her feelings, does she have any particular reason ? You can just refer me to the relevant thread or posts. (not rumours or gossip, something more tangible. ) Thanks !

Please remember that speculation (re: Charlene/Caroline) is NOT allowed on The Royal Forums. Future posts will be deleted without warning.

Thank you.

Back
Top Bottom