International homage to H.S.H. Princess Grace of Monaco

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hello magazine online now has an article up on the event.

Obviously Caroline has her reasons for not coming but I find it disconcerting that she and her family are able to attend and be photographed in Valentino's tribute, and are absent in this extraordinary tribute to their late mother.

We are all speculating here about her absence, but should there be an issue which really made it difficult for her to bear, she should have at least done a Grace Kelly -- be gracious and regal despite inner turmoil.

Oh well ... I hope they do attend or grace the event and give it further publicity and significance.

Last edited:
Obviously Caroline has her reasons for not coming but I find it disconcerting that she and her family are able to attend and be photographed in Valentino's tribute, and are absent in this extraordinary tribute to their late mother.

We are all speculating here about her absence, but should there be an issue which really made it difficult for her to bear, she should have at least done a Grace Kelly -- be gracious and regal despite inner turmoil.

Perfectly said, I agree 100%! :flowers:Maybe we were 'dreaming' too much about possible Andrea's, Charlotte's or Pierre's arrival to the exibition, but it was naturally to expect that Grimaldi sibilings will be there for sure...

I have just been to the exhibition, and I have to say it is fabulous, maybe just too big as it took me almost three hours to see it all, but amazing. Fantastic photos, family videos, dresses, jewels. I advise anyone who can to go as it is a really great tribute to Princess Grace.

As for Caro, I respect her decision; to judge properly we should know what exactly is going on in the Family and in Monaco...the Red Cross will shed some more light anyway.

I have just been to the exhibition, and I have to say it is fabulous, maybe just too big as it took me almost three hours to see it all, but amazing. Fantastic photos, family videos, dresses, jewels. I advise anyone who can to go as it is a really great tribute to Princess Grace.

As for Caro, I respect her decision; to judge properly we should know what exactly is going on in the Family and in Monaco...the Red Cross will shed some more light anyway.

Lucky you!! I bet it was fantastic. Her wedding dress alone is really fantastic. Yes we'll never really know what goes on behind the palace gate so we'll just have to wait and see! But I do have to say that Princess Grace could be an ice Princess when someone displeased her such as Princess Antoinette's husband who was Rainier's rival. There is quite a photo of that moment that captures exactly how she feels.

Actually hibou, it wasn't her husband who was his rival, but Antoinette herself who had ambitions for her son. Apparently Grace had Antoinette removed from the palace and they only kept lose contact and only after Grace's death the brother and sister grew closer and Antoinette and her family became more visible. I hope we will not see a repetition with ALbert and Caro. And I agree with Grace that the Red cross will shed some light, though not necessarily clear for everyone to see. But I suppose at present none of the involved parties knows what will happen. As one of the German chancelors used to say: we just need to sit this out.

Actually hibou, it wasn't her husband who was his rival, but Antoinette herself who had ambitions for her son. Apparently Grace had Antoinette removed from the palace and they only kept lose contact and only after Grace's death the brother and sister grew closer and Antoinette and her family became more visible. I hope we will not see a repetition with ALbert and Caro. And I agree with Grace that the Red cross will shed some light, though not necessarily clear for everyone to see. But I suppose at present none of the involved parties knows what will happen. As one of the German chancelors used to say: we just need to sit this out.

Thanks for clarifying that paca I just remember seeing the photo and the look on Grace's face. I think it was at one of the balls but what ever happened, she was not pleased. I wonder if one of our photo experts might know which one that is and could post it. It was probably published in one of the books on Grace.

Also for those interested in the wedding gown. Over the years due to both it's design and the delicacy of the lace the gown itself became very fragile and in fact was in grave danger of never being able to be viewed again. Thanks to recent efforts in costume and textile conservation and the amazing efforts of Dilys Blum, Curator of Costume and Textiles at the Philadelphia Museum of Art, the dress was able to travel to Monaco for this special occasion. It remains in fragile condition but thanks to all those at the Philadelphia Museum of Art we are once again able to view this special gown.

Last edited by a moderator:
Also for those interested in the wedding gown. Over the years due to both it's design and the delicacy of the lace the gown itself became very fragile and in fact was in grave danger of never being able to be viewed again. Thanks to recent efforts in costume and textile conservation and the amazing efforts of Dilys Blum, Curator of Costume and Textiles at the Philadelphia Museum of Art, the dress was able to travel to Monaco for this special occasion. It remains in fragile condition but thanks to all those at the Philadelphia Museum of Art we are once again able to view this special gown.

I am definitely going to see the exhibition when it comes to NYC at Sotheby's in October.

I can hardly imagine that it's too big, many of us would love it even if it takes five hours I think :):) It's great to hear that you had to the chance to be there, Grace!
There are so many wonderful things to see, the paintings Albert and Steph made for their "mommy" are too cute, also the children's little dresses or the portraits that were made of the children and of Grace. Really wonderful items!!!

With the "too big" expression I meant that for a true fan, interested in every detail, the exhibition would almost require two visits. As it is, it has sooo many things to see, and remember, and understand that it is draining to take everything in. Moreover, in spite of being there 3 hours, I had to rush through many rooms and neglect to read the majority of the letters shown or I would have been there a whole day...I particularly regret spending too much time in the Hollywood Years part, as it left me less time for the Family area, but I truly didn't expect them to have shown so so many things and videos (I saw them all, and that alone took a vere long time...)
Anyway, better big than small, but I almost wish I could go again (without seeming crazy) to have a look at what I missed.

Last edited:
Here is a great Monaco Telecom video of the exposition (about 11 minutes long – click on JT SPECIAL JEUDI 12 JUILLET.wmv)! There are scenes of the exposition and different footages of Prince Albert (before the grand opening with Mitterand ) and at the opening with Princess Stephanie. There were a lot of press and guests at the grand opening. Nine and a half minutes into the video there is a clip of the dinner afterward and P. Albert walks in with his Charlene.

Here’s another link to an article at Monaco Revue which includes some of the guest that were at the reception (Jack Nicholson was there).

Oh well ... I hope they do attend or grace the event and give it further publicity and significance.
I agree with you 100%! Princess Caroline's presence can do a lot to assure that this exposition is a success, especially when it goes to London and the U.S. They have to remember there is a new generation who isn't aware of Grace Kelley (or Princess Grace). I have intoduced my family to Grace Kelly by her 11 movies and they love her. Princess Caroline should have been there with Prince Albert and Princess Stephanie. Albert walks in the dinner with his Charlene at his side (Stephanie didn’t seem to attend – I am assuming that she didn’t since she didn’t walk in with him and Charlene and his entourage). If there seems to be a special reason (as is obvious to some), why she is staying away from certain ventures, then she should have sucked it up for the sake of her mother’s honor! I think it’s shameful that in the U.S. that I can see pictures of Caroline (and her husband & three children!) attending DAYS of events honoring a great clothes designer but I see NO pictures of her attending a first-time exposition honoring her mother. This was about her mother and the press release that went out around the world about the opening should have included all three of Princess Grace’s children. What has Princess Caroline proved by her absence? There is no reason (or woman) that Prince Albert can drag out that is worth not honoring her mother at this special event. Prince Albert has made his choice as he always has concerning the same type of women and he seems to do what he wants regardless of advice people have given him in the past and Charlene is who she is (I bet Charlene would not have missed this opportunity for anything or anyone). In my opinion, Princess Caroline is truly the lesser person in this situation.

I am still at awe when I look at pictures of this woman! Grace Kelley – Princess Grace was truly a beautiful woman. There is not one Hollywood star today that can come near her beauty, grace, and elegance. I am sure Charlene was inspired after viewing the exposition, but no matter what the tabloids say and how well she cleans up with Albert’ resources, she will never match it because Grace’s charm, elegance, and style came from within – something you cannot buy. I never bought Point de Vue because of their ridiculous attempts to try to sell Charlene and Albert’s affair as some great love affair. But, they showed some of the pictures of this week’s PDV cover honoring Grace and the exhibit and it’s something that I think is nice to have. A PDV journalist (I hate calling them this) was at the dinner discussing the issue and expo, so I won’t be surprised if their next week’s cover story will be about Charlene and Albert at the dinner and how much Charlene is so much like Grace. Get ready.

Last edited:
You're so lucky, Grace! There's less than zero chance for the homage reach my part of the world nor am I traveling to the USA or Europe anytime soon. Thanks so much for sharing! I'm very interested in the family part.

I'm glad that Stephanie looks so happy in the pics. She's been very sensitive about her mother's death (which is completely understandable); glad to see she is now celebrating her mother's life and keeping the good memories alive. :)

Last edited:
Well, then our Italian friends might discover something in their tabloids soon. Long time that we didn't see Mme Gallico around, but I suppose that as Graces former lady in waiting and friend she wouldn't miss the occasion. Or maybe she is back into helping Charlene behave and hopefully dress appropriately. Did she look decently dressed or was it another of the Isabelle Kristensen style outfits?

Btw Caro was dining Tuesday evening with Ernst in Beaulieu (as did Jack Nicholson) at the African Queen, so she was just down the road for the exhibition opening on Wednesday.
From the Telecom video, it does not seem that Mme Gallico walked in with Charlene, as you would expect a lady in waiting. I seriously doubt that this woman is helping Charlene. Charlene has on her usual halter top. I don't know if it's by Isabelle, but I think it's one that she has worn before (I'll post in the fashion thread a note about the purple corset dress that seems to be very popular in Monaco). I know it's summer and of course Stephanie had a halter top, but there are so many other ways of dressing elegantlly for an event like the dinner that does not include a halter top. At this point why does Charlene need any help? She seems to have gotten pretty far with her halter and tube tops - Albert seems to have no problem with them and the tabloids adore her ;) .

The more important thing is that lots of people showed up to honor Princess Grace for this opening, as Caroline should have. In the Monaco Revue article it states that Princesss Grace's hair stylist Alexandre of Paris couldn't make the opening, but he sent his granddaughter to represent him. I am holding out and hoping that Caroline has something special planned for her and her kids to visit. She was definitely in on the planning and selection of the items for the exhibit. The planning started two years ago. An interesting note is that Mitterand stated that he did not want to paint Princess Grace as a saint so he tried to portray all aspects of her life, including her pre-Rainier relationships (he talked about the Oleg relationship). He also mentioned that in her later years she went through a period where she was really depressed. But she was coming out of it and starting to enage in a whole new aspect of her life before she died. I can't wait to see the exhibit when it comes to New York. Unfortunately, I doubt if the set-up will be the same. Monaco went through great expense with the construction of the exhibit showcase (there was a video of the construction). I don't know if the presentation of the exhibit will be the same in London and New York.

It's great to see those many pictures from the exhibition, you get the feeling of having been there
yourself, only a little bit of course. It's amazing how many objects were kept and in what great
condition they all seem to be. I wonder how many rooms, boxes, cupboards and so on are needed
in the palace for all these items. ..

Here is a great Monaco Telecom video of the exposition (about 11 minutes long – click on JT SPECIAL JEUDI 12 JUILLET.wmv)! There are scenes of the exposition and different footages of Prince Albert (before the grand opening with Mitterand ) and at the opening with Princess Stephanie. There were a lot of press and guests at the grand opening. Nine and a half minutes into the video there is a clip of the dinner afterward and P. Albert walks in with his Charlene.

Here’s another link to an article at Monaco Revue which includes some of the guest that were at the reception (Jack Nicholson was there).

I agree with you 100%! Princess Caroline's presence can do a lot to assure that this exposition is a success, especially when it goes to London and the U.S. They have to remember there is a new generation who isn't aware of Grace Kelley (or Princess Grace). I have intoduced my family to Grace Kelly by her 11 movies and they love her. Princess Caroline should have been there with Prince Albert and Princess Stephanie. Albert walks in the dinner with his Charlene at his side (Stephanie didn’t seem to attend – I am assuming that she didn’t since she didn’t walk in with him and Charlene and his entourage). If there seems to be a special reason (as is obvious to some), why she is staying away from certain ventures, then she should have sucked it up for the sake of her mother’s honor! I think it’s shameful that in the U.S. that I can see pictures of Caroline (and her husband & three children!) attending DAYS of events honoring a great clothes designer but I see NO pictures of her attending a first-time exposition honoring her mother. This was about her mother and the press release that went out around the world about the opening should have included all three of Princess Grace’s children. What has Princess Caroline proved by her absence? There is no reason (or woman) that Prince Albert can drag out that is worth not honoring her mother at this special event. Prince Albert has made his choice as he always has concerning the same type of women and he seems to do what he wants regardless of advice people have given him in the past and Charlene is who she is (I bet Charlene would not have missed this opportunity for anything or anyone). In my opinion, Princess Caroline is truly the lesser person in this situation.

I am still at awe when I look at pictures of this woman! Grace Kelley – Princess Grace was truly a beautiful woman. There is not one Hollywood star today that can come near her beauty, grace, and elegance. I am sure Charlene was inspired after viewing the exposition, but no matter what the tabloids say and how well she cleans up with Albert’ resources, she will never match it because Grace’s charm, elegance, and style came from within – something you cannot buy. I never bought Point de Vue because of their ridiculous attempts to try to sell Charlene and Albert’s affair as some great love affair. But, they showed some of the pictures of this week’s PDV cover honoring Grace and the exhibit and it’s something that I think is nice to have. A PDV journalist (I hate calling them this) was at the dinner discussing the issue and expo, so I won’t be surprised if their next week’s cover story will be about Charlene and Albert at the dinner and how much Charlene is so much like Grace. Get ready.

I do have to say that Caroline has been so dutiful in the job since Grace died that there has to be a good reason. As for sucking it up, if and I say if because we don't really know, but going on the assumption that it was Charlene, this was a family rememberance and frankly Charlene is the one who should have sucked it up and bowed out, so Caroline and the trio would attend. Put the shoe on the other foot. In the end I blame Albert who really knows what the situation is should have done something (like leave Charlene at home) so that it would have been a family affair.

Caroline is the one whose style continues to bring the same glamour that her Mother did and her absence only points out the lack of style and glamour (although I thought Stephanie looked terrific) that is missing since Grace died. We've all commented that Charlene doesn't have it and what better way to point out the contrast than to be missing in action. JMO

My Adia, thanks for the videolink. I believe Charlene was at the exhibition too. Albert is greated by a tall blond woman in a redpatterned haltertop dress. It's in the beginning of the video. Steph doesn't seem to pay attention to her at all. The blackdress she wore to the dinner seems to be the one she wore last year to the music festival (with again freshly dyed hair). There is one quick pic of someone speaking at the dinner. Unfortunetely I can't make out whether it is Steph, but other then that I didn't see her at the dinner.

Interesting that all Monegasques have free entrance to the exhibition. Too bad that it is not open long enough for the schools to organize visits. It would be very nice for the students to see too as part of their local history classes.

Hey, you must been related to any nabob to go so often to Monaco, and having seen Caroline in different place many a time!;):D

Lucky you! Thanks for the infos!:flowers:

I do have to say that Caroline has been so dutiful in the job since Grace died that there has to be a good reason. As for sucking it up, if and I say if because we don't really know, but going on the assumption that it was Charlene, this was a family rememberance and frankly Charlene is the one who should have sucked it up and bowed out, so Caroline and the trio would attend...
Hibou, I really do understand what you are saying and I'll respond in the "what Do I think of Charlene" thread why I think I'll see pigs fly before seeing Charlene bowing out for anyone other than herself. Again, this exhibition is about Princess Grace. At least in the U.S., many people who actually knew of her or her remarkable gift to shine in most situations are dying out. No one, absolutley no one, doubts that Grace's presence in Monaco truly invigorated Monaco and made it what it is today. Prince Rainier could not have done it on his own. Monaco is still shining on Grace's special light. Allowing people to view her life as this exhibition does, keeps that shine alit. I think her children - all of them - should do whatever it takes to share Prince Grace's special shine to a new generation. Exhibits like this have to be advertised. They shouldn't expect people to just flock to the London and New York exhibit without some type of promotion. Look what young Prince William and Prince Harry did for their mom - they even did an American interview to highlight the concert. I am sure they will assure that people always remember their mother - and do whatever it takes to maintain it. Prince Albert, Princess Stephanie, and Princess Caroline owed it to their parents to come together and do this. Caroline should have done the TV presentation that she missed also (she was scheduled to attend until the last minute). Again, I feel no one or no thing is worth coming between them to achieve the goal of honoring their mother.

I do have to say that Caroline has been so dutiful in the job since Grace died that there has to be a good reason. As for sucking it up, if and I say if because we don't really know, but going on the assumption that it was Charlene, this was a family rememberance and frankly Charlene is the one who should have sucked it up and bowed out, so Caroline and the trio would attend. Put the shoe on the other foot. In the end I blame Albert who really knows what the situation is should have done something (like leave Charlene at home) so that it would have been a family affair.

Caroline is the one whose style continues to bring the same glamour that her Mother did and her absence only points out the lack of style and glamour (although I thought Stephanie looked terrific) that is missing since Grace died. We've all commented that Charlene doesn't have it and what better way to point out the contrast than to be missing in action. JMO

I totally agree! Caro represents the only glamour left in Monaco, they shouldn't underestimate her importance!

I agree with both hibou and grace, and Caro and the trio are the glam ones now, the only glam ones. Damn, I hate seeing Charlene everywhere, seeing picture of her kind of spoils the whole event, for me. (I mean any event, not just this one).

I have to agree with you on this one. Caroline has been avoiding situations in which she had to be friendly with Charlene. Steph attended but completly ignored the woman kissing Albert at the entrance of the exhibition. (what an odd way to show that you are there by lashing out of a crowd to kiss the prince just so that people know you are there too) But I think she skipped the dinner. Caro would have been expected to be there, whereas Steph is always easily excused. And I blame mostly Albert for Caro not being there. He knows what is going on and where there is a problem. I think there are 2 pigheaded people at work here, though I think that Caro is right in avoiding a situation that would show her snubbing Charlene as Steph did by walking past her without greeting. But Charlene should have insisted on staying away, if it causes a problem within the family. She might have won herself some respect with the sisters, if she would have said: hey it's your mum, it's a family affair and you should all be there united grandchildren and all. I'd love to be there, but I am not a member (yet). It is not her place to be at his side yet (remember protocol? she blabbed about it quite a bit but hasn't learned a thing). And for the time being Caro is his heir and if Charlenes presence poses a problem for her and Andrea to be there, then Charlene has to stay away. And Albert being insisting on her presence is not helping, because ultimately he will lose. He doesn't want to give in, but it causes him stress because he is torn between his lover and his family. And trampling on the sentiments of others is not going to make things easier. This way, if he should marry Charlene, the attitude of his sisters will not change. And unlike with Antoinette I doubt that the Monegasques will accept them to be pushed away. They would consider this utterly ungrateful towards the sisters and the work they have done and are continuing. He should have left Charlene at home, done a private visit with her and made it known to his sisters that it was her decision to stay away. That way he might have scored a few points for her. If I was charlene I would ask myself though whether seperating Albert from his family is wise. Ultimately he will return to them. Rainier did too after Grace's death and even before there was lose contact (though Antoinette had quite a changing life so she was more in need to keep in touch then Caro would be). And every love affair changes with time and who will guarantee her that one day he will not hold it against her and put all the blame on her? People tend to be blind when it comes to their own faults. Apart from my opinion of Charlene, I believe that Albert needs a woman at his side who is smart enough to handle his sisters and the place at his side. And he might have to once again look at how his mother might have handle the situation. It seems that there are quite a number of things that she forgot to teach her ALL her children or that they forgot and overlooked. Maybe this exhibition will also help to remind them.

Caroline should have done the TV presentation that she missed also (she was scheduled to attend until the last minute). Again, I feel no one or no thing is worth coming between them to achieve the goal of honoring their mother

I totally agree with you. I think Caroline's behaviour somewhat questionable. Perhaps at 50 years of age, she does no longer recall how many trouble she had her parents pass through in order to make them accept Junot, including some topless pics taken while making out with Philippe on a boat. Ok, those were paparazzi pics, and she was young, but some year later, after Grace's death she didn't absolutely want her father to remarry to Ira von Fuerstenberg. And last but not least she made her best friend Chantal's marriage be wrecked.

No matter how glamorous she can be, the "gal" must be a bit arrogant and selfish. Once in an interview when asked about Caroline, Stéphanie said: "She's convinced she is the fairy Princess".

Prince Albert, Princess Stephanie, and Princess Caroline owed it to their parents to come together and do this. Caroline should have done the TV presentation that she missed also (she was scheduled to attend until the last minute). Again, I feel no one or no thing is worth coming between them to achieve the goal of honoring their mother.
I agree, that they all should have been there, but you have to move away from the picture here. If they all would have showed together with Charlene in tow, that would have been a clear message to the media. The exhibition was a family affair of which Charlene is no part. As his wife she would have had every right and duty to be there, though leaving the main spotlight on the siblings. But as his girlfriend she has no place there and if that means that part of the family will not show up in order to not send this message around the world then it would have been only too natural to leave her at home. Albert has once again shown how undiplomatic and pigheaded he is. He is almost 50 and seems to be repeating the mistakes that his father made in his late 20s early 30s. This is the same type of desaster that he managed to create around Alex' recognition. I should have thought that now that he has advice that he would b able to handle these matters better. But obviously I'm wrong.

Btw you are right about Mme Gallico. If she would have been there to help Charlene, she would have been nearby. I suppose she just went to honour her late friend. Besides, she hasn't been at any previous events at her side, events that she always attended.

I agree, that they all should have been there, but you have to move away from the picture here. If they all would have showed together with Charlene in tow, that would have been a clear message to the media. The exhibition was a family affair of which Charlene is no part. As his wife she would have had every right and duty to be there, though leaving the main spotlight on the siblings. But as his girlfriend she has no place there and if that means that part of the family will not show up in order to not send this message around the world then it would have been only too natural to leave her at home. Albert has once again shown how undiplomatic and pigheaded he is. He is almost 50 and seems to be repeating the mistakes that his father made in his late 20s early 30s. This is the same type of desaster that he managed to create around Alex' recognition. I should have thought that now that he has advice that he would b able to handle these matters better. But obviously I'm wrong.

I agree with you, looks this vidéo, He knows, he knows : it is an error
Centre de Presse

ohhhh the head of ... and Albert to the dinner (they make the mouth) here her face
icon_evil.gif
here his face
icon_evil.gif

go in 9:32 mn, here theirs faces !!!!

ouahhhh and how does walk ..... frankly, she have a problem of motricity???? is necessary that she stops putting heels!!!

it would be said that she goes with stilts (9:28 mn)
lckc

Hibou, I really do understand what you are saying and I'll respond in the "what Do I think of Charlene" thread why I think I'll see pigs fly before seeing Charlene bowing out for anyone other than herself. Again, this exhibition is about Princess Grace. At least in the U.S., many people who actually knew of her or her remarkable gift to shine in most situations are dying out. No one, absolutley no one, doubts that Grace's presence in Monaco truly invigorated Monaco and made it what it is today. Prince Rainier could not have done it on his own. Monaco is still shining on Grace's special light. Allowing people to view her life as this exhibition does, keeps that shine alit. I think her children - all of them - should do whatever it takes to share Prince Grace's special shine to a new generation. Exhibits like this have to be advertised. They shouldn't expect people to just flock to the London and New York exhibit without some type of promotion. Look what young Prince William and Prince Harry did for their mom - they even did an American interview to highlight the concert. I am sure they will assure that people always remember their mother - and do whatever it takes to maintain it. Prince Albert, Princess Stephanie, and Princess Caroline owed it to their parents to come together and do this. Caroline should have done the TV presentation that she missed also (she was scheduled to attend until the last minute). Again, I feel no one or no thing is worth coming between them to achieve the goal of honoring their mother.

I know where you're coming from on this but again I blame Albert mostly and also whatever it is has to be pretty bad for her not to come. I don't think it's Diva behavior on Caroline's part. I think something really bad has gone down between them and I just wish Albert had left Charlene at home and that Caroline and kids would have come. I agree that they need to do a better job of promoting the exhibition and paca pointed out that they haven't left it in Monaco long enough for school children who were not around to know Princess Grace got a chance to understand who she was and why she was so special. I kinda think they blew it in that regard although from a video clip I saw the exhibition looks fantastic.

Back
Top Bottom