The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Princely Family of Monaco

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 07-15-2007, 06:46 PM
Royal Highness

Thanks for those scans, noirfabi! It seems they include some very rare portraits..real tresure!

Nice caps, michelle! As iceflower said, it's perfectly caught private moment..all smiles...

Old 07-16-2007, 05:54 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by paca View Post
I agree, that they all should have been there, but you have to move away from the picture here. If they all would have showed together with Charlene in tow, that would have been a clear message to the media. The exhibition was a family affair of which Charlene is no part. As his wife she would have had every right and duty to be there, though leaving the main spotlight on the siblings. But as his girlfriend she has no place there and if that means that part of the family will not show up in order to not send this message around the world then it would have been only too natural to leave her at home. Albert has once again shown how undiplomatic and pigheaded he is. He is almost 50 and seems to be repeating the mistakes that his father made in his late 20s early 30s. This is the same type of desaster that he managed to create around Alex' recognition. I should have thought that now that he has advice that he would b able to handle these matters better. But obviously I'm wrong.

Btw you are right about Mme Gallico. If she would have been there to help Charlene, she would have been nearby. I suppose she just went to honour her late friend. Besides, she hasn't been at any previous events at her side, events that she always attended.
I could not agree more!

I am just catching up on posts here & I cannot believe Albert would bring Charlene to this event! So far he seemed at least not to be so clueless as to bring Charlene to events related to her tribute, and I have already mentioned in another post, what I think of Albert promoting Charlene at his mothers & sisters expense, just during this year bringing Charlene front & center during this time. I am really shocked he would have Charlene there, the more he is left to his own counsel, the more I do not like Albert, it is beyond being naive, he is disrespectful.

I am glad Caroline did not go, because it was for HER mother that she has been working her hardest all these years "doing the heavy lifting" as one poster put it. She has been the one paying tribute & keeping her mother's memory alive in the most honorable way. I am sure Caroline saw this as not only an ignorant thing to do on Albert's part, but it was probably seen by Caroline as an insult to her mother & she did not appreciate being forced to participate in it. I would have been disappointed in her if she had gone! I am sorry Stephanie went! however nice it is to see her. I think they need to send a loud message to Albert as those are the only ones he seems to get!
I cannot believe Albert would bring his now overly public consort to honor his mother, having her in tow, which is exactly what it was! really disgraceful.
If anyone should have bit the bullet, It should have been Albert & Charlene, not Caroline. So inappropriate these two!!- it's mind boggling
Caroline has worked so hard in keeping her mother's memory alive & then Albert making it unbearable for her to be present. I have had a very similar experience in my life with my siblings, regarding honoring my mother's memory
which was twice as bad becuase I knew my mom, out of all of us would have wanted me handling it!

I got a too bad! Get over it attitude from my siblings & I have to say that I did not feel I had to endure a slap in the face, nor did my mother. So I chose to honor my mother in my own way, as I felt out of all of us, I am my mothers daughter & she would have felt & acted the same way that I did, Just as I believe Caroline is her mother's daughter, Princess Grace would have done just as Caroline did. She would have been more proud of Caroline for sticking to her integrity, than of Albert to insist on having his girlfriend tag along at the cost of his his sister who is the very one who belonged there. Charlene herself should have chose not to participate, if she had any integrity? These two really do deserve each other & all the mess they are going to make of there lives. I am sorry it is going to be at the expense of Monaco's image.

The ballet is Caroline's, but I think she should dump the rest of the lot into Albert & his girlfriend's inept laps. I have a feeling she will be a no show at the Red Cross ball if Charlene attends, as I am thinking a lot of other people who usually like to go and actually pay for tickets in the past might do - who wants to pay to rub shoulders with Albert & Charlene, since they have already made themselves nauseatingly assessable. I'm sorry I have no hope any more.

I had read there was going to be something of a tribute for Princess Grace in Los Angeles, this would make sense, she was a Hollywood actress. But I have seen nothing, does anybody else know anything?

Old 07-17-2007, 06:59 AM
Courtier
TRF Author

I must be clueless myself, or have missed a lot in the posts, but how do we know Caroline did not attend because Charlene was going to be there ? Is there bad blood between them ?
Old 07-17-2007, 09:49 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by iloveroyals View Post
I must be clueless myself, or have missed a lot in the posts, but how do we know Caroline did not attend because Charlene was going to be there ? Is there bad blood between them ?
We don't, but the rumour was running through MOnaco for some time. Besides we know that she wasn't sick as she was dining in the same restaurant as Jack nicholson, who attended the opening, the night before the opening. Caro is very talented in being outspoken whilst remaining silent and people who live here, know how to understand the messages she is sending them. Here is a little preview on what POint de vue is going o bring this week. Point de Vue *.:.* En Couverture
Old 07-17-2007, 10:29 AM
Courtier

Quote:
We don't, but the rumour was running through MOnaco for some time. Besides we know that she wasn't sick as she was dining in the same restaurant as Jack nicholson, who attended the opening, the night before the opening. Caro is very talented in being outspoken whilst remaining silent and people who live here, know how to understand the messages she is sending them. Here is a little preview on what POint de vue is going o bring this week. Point de Vue *.:.* En Couverture
Mmm, so the press picked up the story, even thought they don't connect Caro's absence to a family feud...the fact that it is "Point de Vue" and not a gossip tabloid to remark her absence makes it even more meaningful; once again, we have to wait for the Red Cross and see! BTW, I'm not only curious about Caro's (and kids) presence at this point, but also Steph's. What do you think?

ETA: sorry for my English, I meant Steph's presence, not her kids'. I actually don't care about her kids presence at all, but as she was often absent at the big balls, I'm wondering if she'll go this year.
Old 07-17-2007, 10:36 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grace View Post
Mmm, so the press picked up the story, even thought they don't connect Caro's absence to a family feud...the fact that it is "Point de Vue" and not a gossip tabloid to remark her absence makes it even more meaningful; once again, we have to wait for the Red Cross and see! BTW, I'm not only curious about Caro's (and kids) presence at this point, but also Steph's. What do you think?
Doesn't Steph usually keep her kids away from the official events? I would imagine they are all still a little young to be attending balls anyway. I know I would have been bored to tears at that age.
Old 07-17-2007, 11:40 AM
Royal Highness

agreed

Quote:
Yes Jaya, you might be right about other reasons for Caro not to go. Yes she has her memories, good ones and bad ones. They are her memories which no one can take away. We consider this exhibition an hommage to Grace, but there is also a flip side. Grace has served to draw attention to Monaco when she was alive and in death. Monaco has survived for a long time on the fairytale and the myth of Grace. She was surely a remarkable person, but we should not forget that she was also a human being with all the frailties, suffering and joy that entails. She wasn't infallible as many believe and surely has had her share of bad decisions in life. This exhibition surely draws a lot of attention to Monaco and revives the myth and fairytale. Monaco might survive another couple of years on this. But in some way this hommage is also a travelling circus abusing Grace even in death to generate publicity for Monaco, due to lack of other ways to draw peoples attention. Of course the anniversary of her death is a tempting date, but maybe the anniversary of her wedding to Rainier would have been more appropriate as the Kelly years as is the subtitle of the exhibition only began with that marriage. the anniversary of her tragic end might still rouse some sadness. it is understandable to do sth special on the occasion, but in some way it is also a little tasteless. I'm not so sure if Grace and Rainier would have wanted us to see their loveletters revealed. From what I see from the pics the exhibition has been done with great care, and for us outsiders it is a great opportunity to learn more about that admired person, but when you take a look at the personality of Grace and also of Rainier, both in spite of the displayed family life, very private people and only showing as much as was considered necessary to run Monaco, do you really think that those 2 would have approved to have their loveletters publicly displayed? If so, then we might have seen them earlier, don't you think? This is an exhibition that is bordering on voyeurism and would probably have been more appropriate two more generations from now to justify a historical and cultural value. This might not be Caros reasoning, especially since she has been involved in the organizational part. Though she might have had second thoughts. who knows? But I believe that Caro has honoured her mother by the way she took over her role at the side of her father and continued to do so in spite of her own tragedies in life when the occasion called for it.
hi paca,
Brilliant post and I wholeheartedly agree with most of what you have again given another dimension to. I have already written that I found the idea of transporting Grace's gowns and tiaras around not inspiring for me personally. I would have had a cine retro of Grace's movies and invited Heads Of State. to a gala celebrating her life......the part of her life that pivoted her to Monaco...... as for the love letters being displayed I think that both Rainier and Grace would not have approved ... however...
thanks again paca...
Old 07-17-2007, 01:00 PM
Courtier
TRF Author

Can you tell me why she disapproves of Charlene ? Apart from the "signs" she sends the community about her feelings, does she have any particular reason ? You can just refer me to the relevant thread or posts. (not rumours or gossip, something more tangible. ) Thanks !
Old 07-17-2007, 03:36 PM
Serene Highness

THE GRACE KELLY YEARS

Telegraph | Picture Gallery | THE GRACE KELLY YEARS=

http://www.visitmonaco.com/mtny/pdf/...elly_facts.pdf
Old 07-17-2007, 03:42 PM
Administrator

Please remember that speculation (re: Charlene/Caroline) is NOT allowed on The Royal Forums. Future posts will be deleted without warning.

Thank you.
Old 07-18-2007, 05:06 PM
Serene Highness

Here is another link to an article about the exhibition. It also mentions Nadia Lacoste, who was responsible for the press, the mother of Albert's lawyer Thierry (maybe that's why he thought he could function like a spokesperson - Thierry certain things are not transmitted via DNA; somethings you need to learn )

La légende Grace Kelly - monaco grimaldi grace kelly exposition - Toute l'actu sur Lejdd.fr

Here is an interview with Nadia Lacoste, longtime speaker of Grace who has apparently known her since before se became Princess Grace. The interview was given to dpa and you might find it on several different websites.

Westdeutsche Zeitung - Kultur - Museum - Interview: Die Freundin erzählt über Gracias Leben
Old 07-19-2007, 02:45 PM
Nobility

Here's portion of a news release about Pricness Grace's US Exhibition date:

Quote:
NEW YORK, July 18 /PRNewswire/ -- From October 15 through 26, 2007, the Consulate General of Monaco and the Monaco Government Tourist Office in New York with Sotheby's, in close collaboration with the Princely Palace and the Princess Grace Foundation-USA, will present a tribute exhibition celebrating the life and legacy of Princess Grace of Monaco.

(Photo: http://www.newscom.com/cgi-bin/prnh/20070718/NYW091-a )
(Photo: http://www.newscom.com/cgi-bin/prnh/20070718/NYW091-b )
(Photo: http://www.newscom.com/cgi-bin/prnh/20070718/NYW091-c )

The exhibition, which will be free and open to the public at Sotheby's in New York, will feature dresses, jewelry, photographs, letters, video and other unique items, most of which have never been seen outside of Monaco. These items span the extraordinary life of Grace Kelly, from Hollywood star and style icon to Princess of Monaco as a wife, mother and humanitarian. The exhibition will set the stage for a series of glamorous events at Sotheby's including the 25th Anniversary Princess Grace Awards Gala and an evening of high stakes and high fashion co-hosted by Wynn Resorts to benefit the arts. Her life and style will also be celebrated throughout October in New York City with dedicated window displays featuring one-of-a-kind Grace Kelly-inspired creations by renowned American designers at Saks Fifth Avenue, and a limited edition lipstick shade specially created by Estee Lauder.

"Sotheby's is honored to host Grace, Princess of Monaco: A Tribute to the Life and Legacy of Grace Kelly in New York this October," said James G. Niven, Vice Chairman of Sotheby's and son of legendary actor David Niven. "Grace Kelly was a great friend of my father's from her days as an actress in Hollywood to her reign as Princess of Monaco. She took me under her wing when we lived in France, and I was lucky to be invited to Palace events as a young man and experience the world she inhabited first-hand. The pieces selected for this exhibition highlight her great beauty and style for which she is so well- known, and her personal letters and correspondence show that she was open, friendly, interesting and had a great sense of humor."

"We invite visitors to the exhibition and related tribute events in New York to share some of the irresistible allure and compassion for others that Princess Grace brought to the Principality and that remains today as a valuable part of her legacy," commented Hon. Maguy Maccario Doyle, Consul General of Monaco in New York.

"This year's Gala is truly special," continued Hon. John F. Lehman, Princess Grace Foundation-USA Chairman. "The past 25 years of supporting emerging artists has made an indelible mark on the performing arts in this country. It is most fitting that this celebration of Princess Grace's legacy will culminate in this extraordinary night at Sotheby's when we present the 2007 Princess Grace Awards recipients."
Old 07-19-2007, 04:54 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henri M. View Post
Steph ?

It is Princess Stéphanie. I even doubt the Princess is called 'Steph' in the familial circle.

Where is the end?

Alex and Máxi in the Netherlands?

Phil and Math in Belgium?

Freddie and Mary in Denmark?

Beth and Phil in the United Kingdom?

Gus and Syl in Sweden?

So make four characters more with your keyboard and write Stéphanie instead of that awful, cheap and vulgar Steph.

I agree with you ! A bit more of protocol would be fine .... I never said before Caro but H.R.H. The Princess Caroline of Hanover
Old 07-19-2007, 05:08 PM
Serene Highness

Smile Glistening Seas

MyAdia oh-h-h-h can you fix the pics from southeby's didn't come up.
Old 07-20-2007, 01:09 AM
Commoner

Le souvenir de la Princesse Grâce à Monaco - Mediaplayer

a new vidéo about the princess grace
Old 07-20-2007, 05:25 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glistening Seas View Post
MyAdia oh-h-h-h can you fix the pics from southeby's didn't come up.
Sorry, but the links aren’t mine, I just copied the press release. I just looked at the original links from the release and here are the heavily watermarked pictures of the two dresses that will be auctioned at Sotherby’s. The third link is this picture of Princess Grace. Does anyone have any pictures of Princess Grace wearing the gala dress that will be auctioned! It's beautiful.
Old 07-20-2007, 05:50 AM
Courtier

I think the long dress is from High Society, the one she wore at her "bachelorette party". It was on display at the exhibition...
Old 07-20-2007, 06:21 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grace View Post
I think the long dress is from High Society, the one she wore at her "bachelorette party". It was on display at the exhibition...
Thank you. I remember that dancing & singing scene. Good excuse now to watch the movie today. The dress looks different to me in the release picture, however. I didn't realize that she owned her studio film wardrobe. I thought normally they belonged to the studio. Does anyone know if she ever wore any of her famous movie gowns after she became princess? I guess she probably didn't, if Prince Rainier didn't even want her movies shown in Monaco.
Old 07-20-2007, 06:59 AM

I Know that princess Grace wore one of the dresses from Rear window during her honeymoon, when they were in Spain and met General Franco.
The dress was the flowered one from the scene in which she enters the apartment of the man that has killed his wife.
Old 07-20-2007, 10:47 AM
Courtier

Grace took some of the dresses after she finished filming the various movies, particularly To Catch a Thief, Rear Window and High Society; several of these dresses are now on display in Monaco, but I don't know if she ever wore them again in public...