The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Princely Family of Monaco

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 11-03-2011, 10:21 AM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Month Representative - Monaco and Sweden

It's interesting that despite having seen the exhibition travelling around the world it's always
nice and interesting to see it again!

Here are some additional galleries and an article that includes a video from yesterday
(theglobeandmail article, fourth link):

** gettyimages/wireimage 1 ** gettyimages/wireimage 2 ** hellomagazine gallery **

** Prince Albert, Princess Charlène attend exhibit celebrating prince's mother Grace Kelly **

** Grace Kelly exhibit explores icon's life **

** PHOTOS - Charlène de Monaco : la simplicité est son arme de séduction ! **

** La princesse Charlene, avec Albert à Toronto, dévoile ses jambes sculpturales **

Old 11-03-2011, 12:55 PM
Courtier

Great photos. I didn't know Grace's wedding dres was at the exhibition.
Maybe they should consider showing her dress (and maybe Charlene's too) at the palace in Monaco.

Old 11-03-2011, 01:09 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smush View Post
Great photos. I didn't know Grace's wedding dres was at the exhibition.
Maybe they should consider showing her dress (and maybe Charlene's too) at the palace in Monaco.
Its a copy of Graces dress. The original is held by a museum in Philadelphia and due to its condition is rarely displayed.
Old 11-03-2011, 01:22 PM
Courtier

Thanks. I didn't know that but it's an excellent idea!
Old 11-03-2011, 04:28 PM
Courtier

The pictures from #375, I saw Prince Albert and Princess Charlene when they arrived last night but I didn't see them when they left which I should have stayed and see them leaving. The pictures are great!, bweir
Old 11-05-2011, 02:55 PM
Gentry

Bweir, did saw any bodyguards with them there?
Old 11-05-2011, 03:29 PM
Royal Highness

I would really love to see the exhibition,I always wanted to see Grace Kelly´s wedding dress "live" because it is so special,delicate and beautiful!
Old 11-12-2011, 05:19 AM
Gentry

Isn't it wonderful to see that the world has not forgotten Princess Grace?! I think the exhibition looks great, however the best one was i.m.o. the one in Monaco.
Princess Grace would have turned 82 today... Happy Birtday my darling Princess!
You're sadly missed but never forgotten!!
Old 11-13-2011, 12:05 PM

I have attended this exhibition a few years ago in Moscow, Russia. Now when I live in Toronto, I definitely won't miss another opportunity to look at everything again!

From what I can see on the photos, the exhibited items may be different from what was shown in Moscow. Will see!

Yes, the copy of the wedding dress was there. I spoke to the organizers, they confirmed that this is a copy. Not sure about the famous dark floral cocktail dress that Grace wore when meeting the Prince for the first time.

TIFF Lightbox also combines the exhibition with several Hitchcock movies. I thought that they would show some documentaries, but they only offer the movies.
Old 11-13-2011, 04:55 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sofiero View Post
Bweir, did saw any bodyguards with them there?
I didn't see any bodyguards with them there but I saw the policemen there. I was there as well.
Old 11-15-2011, 04:24 PM
Heir Apparent

I visited the exhibit at lunch today and I must say I was a bit disappointed, at least in comparison to the exhibit I saw a couple of years ago at the Grimaldi Forum. Toronto is a smaller exhibit to be sure but that was expected. Lots of film posters, telegrams received to celebrate her Oscar win, letters from Bing Crosby and Alfred Hitchcock and of course her Oscar (which seems tarnished), videos from various events shown on the walls. Lots of dresses worn over the years including the floral dress worn at the first meeting, her Oscar dress and her civil ceremony dress. A few jewels including a tiara worn at Carolines wedding but it looked like a copy/paste, not impressive at all. More like something you might see in a local bridal shop. As for the copy of the wedding dress I thought that was disappointing as well. Pretty but not jaw dropping. I dont know if it was the fabric used (looked cheap) or if it was because the display shows the gown from the rear and you only really see the front as a reflection in a mirror. or maybe just bad lighting.
Old 11-16-2011, 07:20 AM
Royal Highness

Can I just check something? I think I am right is stating that the wedding dress displayed in the Monaco exhibition was the genuine one, but was it then returned to America, or did it travel to Paris or any of the other venues?
Old 11-17-2011, 04:31 PM
Royal Highness

An unusual slide show from the Toronto leg of the tour - I like the 50's theme which accompanies the exhibition

BizBash
Old 12-05-2011, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGalitzine View Post
I visited the exhibit at lunch today and I must say I was a bit disappointed, at least in comparison to the exhibit I saw a couple of years ago at the Grimaldi Forum. Toronto is a smaller exhibit to be sure but that was expected. Lots of film posters, telegrams received to celebrate her Oscar win, letters from Bing Crosby and Alfred Hitchcock and of course her Oscar (which seems tarnished), videos from various events shown on the walls. Lots of dresses worn over the years including the floral dress worn at the first meeting, her Oscar dress and her civil ceremony dress. A few jewels including a tiara worn at Carolines wedding but it looked like a copy/paste, not impressive at all. More like something you might see in a local bridal shop. As for the copy of the wedding dress I thought that was disappointing as well. Pretty but not jaw dropping. I dont know if it was the fabric used (looked cheap) or if it was because the display shows the gown from the rear and you only really see the front as a reflection in a mirror. or maybe just bad lighting.
I second you NGalitzine. Yesterday I went to this exhibition with my friend, bearing in mind what I have seen in Moscow a few years ago. A smaller exhibition, yes. Although I am not sure about it. but it appeared to me that there were not quite the same items shown as in Moscow. For example, in Moscow I found the Grace's letter to Hitchcock that started 'Dear Hitch', and I am not sure whether it was exhibited here again. Does someone found it here, just curious?

I think that most of the items were copies, if not all of them. Does someone know it?

And yes, the wedding dress was shown from the rear only, plus it was shown on a distance, whereas in Moscow it was shown in a glass box that gave access to it from all sides.

The dark floral cocktail dress of the first meeting with Rainier was obviously different from what was shown on photos and videos! it was clear even for an inexperienced eye. The flowers were misplaced, which was well visible especially on the front :)

I don't think that the materials are used with years. They are just not the same. Made years after, from different fabrics and by different people. All they want to sell us is the legend. :(
Old 12-29-2011, 10:52 PM
Administrator
Blog Editor
Picture of the Month Representative - Luxembourg
Royal Blogger

For all those in the Victoria, Australia area, the Bendigo Art Gallery will be hosting a 'Grace Kelly: Style Icon' exhibition between March 11 and June 17 next year. The exhibition is organised by the Grimaldi Forum and the V&A Museum in London.

Quote:
Grace Kelly: Style Icon will highlight the spectacular wardrobe of Grace Kelly and examine her glamorous Hollywood image and enduring appeal. The exhibition features dresses from such films as High Society as well as the gown she wore to accept her Oscar in 1955. It also explores the evolution of her style as Princess Grace of Monaco, from her extensive wedding trousseau to her haute couture gowns of the 1960s and 1970s by her favourite couturiers Dior, Balenciaga, Givenchy and Yves St Laurent.
Bendigo Art Gallery - Grace Kelly: Style Icon
Old 12-30-2011, 04:05 AM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Month Representative - Monaco and Sweden

As Prince Albert has already announced in an interview a couple of days ago (see his current
events thread and the one of Princess Charlene), Princess Charlene and one of his sisters will
conduct the official opening.
Prince Albert himself will have other commitments, but will glamorously be represented
Old 12-30-2011, 07:53 AM
Administrator
Blog Editor
Picture of the Month Representative - Luxembourg
Royal Blogger

Hmm, interesting. Official openings are usually the day before the exhibition opens to the public, so I may head up to Bendigo on that day as well.
Old 01-03-2012, 09:06 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessRulz View Post
Hmm, interesting. Official openings are usually the day before the exhibition opens to the public, so I may head up to Bendigo on that day as well.
Yes, Charlene will open the exhibition on March 10th.

I'll be interested to hear your opinion of the exhibition.
Old 01-29-2012, 01:31 PM
Royal Highness

A nice overview of the exhibition in Toronto

Sylvia's Simple Life Blog
Old 01-30-2012, 10:49 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elly C View Post
A nice overview of the exhibition in Toronto

Sylvia's Simple Life Blog
The description of the well-worn clothes does give me an essence of Grace, i.e. sensible, practical, loyal to old favourites. I think that I would prefer to see those frequently washed items than a beautiful ballgown which was worn once.