The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Princely Family of Monaco

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 04-12-2007, 09:26 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaya
Personally I feel the tribute to Princess Grace is being done in a hackneyed manner. A a cine retrospective of all her16 or so films would have emphasized the original medium which later catapulted her to the position of Princess. I find it highly unusual that her films have never played in Monaco from start to finish not even once. Instead of having people come in to look at her tiara and gowns I think her films reviewed would have given us an the opportunity to see her in reel as opposed to real life. And that would have been a refreshing change.JMO
I think it is time to have a film retrospective of her work. No wonder there are so many misconceptions about her acting. I think it will give a fuller picture of who she was and if possible to have some of the costumes from her films on display as well - that's always fun to see with blow up photos of her wearing it in the film behind the costume. Rainier wasn't wrong at the time they married because actresses were looked upon as no more then **** but that image is no longer true today and they should now show the films. I think it would add a lot but that's JMO

Old 04-13-2007, 04:04 PM
Serene Highness

Commemorative book with indexes

hibou,
I think your idea is fabulous.
I was expecting at least a commemorative book on her films with a commentary by each of the members of the Princely Family.There really has not been a tribute since Princess Caroline edited Paris Vogue in 1983 and dedicated much brilliantly to her mother. I am certain such a book would have climbed the best seller list. Then an in depth
indexing of all her costumes from the movies; from the designers right down to the shoemaker replete with all Hollywood details. I think some of the costume designs could have been copied for the Franklin Mint in Pattern form and a limited edition sold to the public for a hefty price proceeds going to the PGF. This applies to some of the jewels that Princess Grace wore.[cairngorm included-my favourite] They too could have been copied in limited editions as high costume jewellery and would have been sold out before their completion.
The public still has a voracious appetite for the aesthetic sensibilty of classic Princess Grace.What a great way to raise funds for her foundation.
But I am bewildered as to why her films have never played in Monaco.After all it is 2007.The youth of today would benefit greatly from reviewing her films;we could re-evaluate why the Princess still holds us much by inspiration more than half a century later from her adieu from celluloid; never mind all the high profile guests who could have been invited to such an event. I am hopeful this might happen in the future. I have sinking feeling Princess Grace is laughing from wherever that her tiara is being shipped hither and yon for display as a tribute to her memory.Albeit a sufficient and a bit superficial tribute but not outstanding or original enough to pay either empirical or dialectical homage to the Princess who earned our abiding respect as a para-signifier from movies to humanities..JMO

Old 04-14-2007, 02:14 AM
Aristocracy

Is there going to be any event in Los Angeles area?
Old 04-25-2007, 03:16 AM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Month Representative - Monaco and Sweden

Princess Grace of Monaco's Exhibition in Japan

Albert has opened the exhibition two days ago, as it's part of the international homage I'll post some pics of it here:

Princess Grace of Monaco's Exhibition started on April 17 to 29 in Mitukoshi Department store in Tokyo. 5000 people visit daily:

Family pictures
Some dresses

Pics of Grace doing her art
Grace with her art
Pieces of pottery
More dresses
Visitors in front of some pictures
Old 04-25-2007, 05:38 AM
Gentry

I remember when she wanted to get back to the cinema and the people of monaco were against that. So I guess Rainier too was against it. Grace the actress is honored only outside Monaco.
Old 04-26-2007, 01:20 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by princess olga
Agree--Renier was always opposed to showing her movies in the tiny nation, and he was the ruler, so his decisions were law. Perhaps Albert feels the same way as his father..
Albert was at a tribute to her film High Society in Newport RI last year. He also said in an interview that it was his favorite film that she did. I dunno, though, it's strange they don't seem to focus on that aspect of her life, though.

"It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune, must be in want of a wife" Pride and Prejudice
Old 04-26-2007, 05:10 AM
Courtier

wonder if they will do anything in london on her this year ???
Old 04-26-2007, 09:10 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurberryBrit
Albert was at a tribute to her film High Society in Newport RI last year. He also said in an interview that it was his favorite film that she did. I dunno, though, it's strange they don't seem to focus on that aspect of her life, though.
I always liked High Society too. It was a fun film.. I thought I had read once that Albert liked Rear Window best. Oh well, I really liked all of her films. My favorite was always To Catch a Thief because you have the added bonus of looking a Cary Grant for a couple of hours.
Old 04-26-2007, 02:08 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by libra65
I always liked High Society too. It was a fun film.. I thought I had read once that Albert liked Rear Window best. Oh well, I really liked all of her films. My favorite was always To Catch a Thief because you have the added bonus of looking a Cary Grant for a couple of hours.
I loved to Catch a Thief too. My daughter saw if for the first time and loved it! It would be nice to do a much bigger exhibition of her clothes and costumes with blow ups from the films behind them. And then a weekend of showing nothing but her films and have it travel much more than this exhibition has. I think it would be very popular. JMO
Old 04-27-2007, 12:29 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by hibou
I loved to Catch a Thief too. My daughter saw if for the first time and loved it! It would be nice to do a much bigger exhibition of her clothes and costumes with blow ups from the films behind them. And then a weekend of showing nothing but her films and have it travel much more than this exhibition has. I think it would be very popular. JMO
Hibou, you gave me an idea. I just e-mailed Turner Classic Movies to suggest they run several of Grace Kelly's films on the 25th anniversary of her death. I don't know if they like such suggestions but I made it anyway. I also tried to do the same over at American Movie Classics, but they only take comments by snail mail. However, I did find out that To Catch a Thief is going to be shown at 3:45 on Mother's Day (5/11). I guess they are giving Cary Grant to Mom. WOW what a gift.
Old 05-15-2007, 01:08 PM
Heir Presumptive

Satureday June 2nd 2007 , Gala on TV ( France 2 ).
Caroline, Stephanie and Albert will be there - along with others.

Link
Old 05-20-2007, 02:50 AM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Month Representative - Monaco and Sweden

Thanks a lot for telling us, Michelle, it's great that they'll all attend an event like that. I wish we could all see
that show, but well, at least we will see some pics and get some quotes..
Old 05-20-2007, 04:39 AM
Majesty

Great news, that will be very interesting, the Grimaldis together in a tv show. I really hope France 2 will have some clips on their site.
Old 05-20-2007, 09:40 AM
Serene Highness

A Celebration of Princess Grace

A Celebration of Princess Grace - Luxist
Old 05-22-2007, 02:23 PM
Gentry

this evening

on arte tv there's a programm on the great princess !!
Old 05-30-2007, 04:16 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbhrc
Great news, that will be very interesting, the Grimaldis together in a tv show. I really hope France 2 will have some clips on their site.
Yeah I think we've never seen the three of then together in one tv life - show before. If anyone is able to, please feel free to record the show and put it on YouTube .
Old 06-04-2007, 04:36 PM
Royal Highness

Great article from Times Online...

Remembering my fairytale mother

Sorting though Princess Grace’s possessions for an exhibition has brought back bittersweet memories says Prince Albert of Monaco..Click here to read!

Old 06-08-2007, 07:11 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by lea
As outsiders it may seem like a good idea to promote or celebrate Grace Kelly films in the Principality, but I'm sure that Prince Rainier had good reason not to do so. I think perhaps he knew that doing so would only make her transition to Princess more difficult than it was. Being an actress was not looked upon highly at that time. I'm not sure if the feeling is the same today, and I think only those that are a part of that society would know that. So I have to assume that Prince Albert feels the same way, or that he wishes her to be remembered as Princess Grace in the Principality and not Grace Kelly the actress. Maybe he is honoring his father's wishes in that respect.
It is half a century later. Prince Rainier went to work on horseback and PA has a Lear jet{said with a British accent pls }It is one thing to honor the wishes of your father and another to maintain a pact with that dead faith.

Quote:
Originally Posted by princess olga
Agree--Renier was always opposed to showing her movies in the tiny nation, and he was the ruler, so his decisions were law. Perhaps Albert feels the same way as his father..
Then I wonder why Charlene's swimming aspirations have been brought to Monaco .
Her humanistic significance must tower over that of Grace Kelly obviously.
What an oversight on my part.
There should be a unified civil code regarding things being kept out of Monaco not only for Grace Kelly the thespian but everyone else.
Old 06-08-2007, 08:59 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelle
Satureday June 2nd 2007 , Gala on TV ( France 2 ).
Caroline, Stephanie and Albert will be there - along with others.

Link
I swear someone there reads these boards! Thanks Michelle!
Old 06-16-2007, 11:44 AM
Aristocracy

Tenue de Soirée, today, sur TV5.