International homage to H.S.H. Princess Grace of Monaco

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I visited the exhibit at lunch today and I must say I was a bit disappointed, at least in comparison to the exhibit I saw a couple of years ago at the Grimaldi Forum. Toronto is a smaller exhibit to be sure but that was expected. Lots of film posters, telegrams received to celebrate her Oscar win, letters from Bing Crosby and Alfred Hitchcock and of course her Oscar (which seems tarnished), videos from various events shown on the walls. Lots of dresses worn over the years including the floral dress worn at the first meeting, her Oscar dress and her civil ceremony dress. A few jewels including a tiara worn at Carolines wedding but it looked like a copy/paste, not impressive at all. More like something you might see in a local bridal shop. As for the copy of the wedding dress I thought that was disappointing as well. Pretty but not jaw dropping. I dont know if it was the fabric used (looked cheap) or if it was because the display shows the gown from the rear and you only really see the front as a reflection in a mirror. or maybe just bad lighting.

Can I just check something? I think I am right is stating that the wedding dress displayed in the Monaco exhibition was the genuine one, but was it then returned to America, or did it travel to Paris or any of the other venues?

An unusual slide show from the Toronto leg of the tour - I like the 50's theme which accompanies the exhibition

BizBash

I visited the exhibit at lunch today and I must say I was a bit disappointed, at least in comparison to the exhibit I saw a couple of years ago at the Grimaldi Forum. Toronto is a smaller exhibit to be sure but that was expected. Lots of film posters, telegrams received to celebrate her Oscar win, letters from Bing Crosby and Alfred Hitchcock and of course her Oscar (which seems tarnished), videos from various events shown on the walls. Lots of dresses worn over the years including the floral dress worn at the first meeting, her Oscar dress and her civil ceremony dress. A few jewels including a tiara worn at Carolines wedding but it looked like a copy/paste, not impressive at all. More like something you might see in a local bridal shop. As for the copy of the wedding dress I thought that was disappointing as well. Pretty but not jaw dropping. I dont know if it was the fabric used (looked cheap) or if it was because the display shows the gown from the rear and you only really see the front as a reflection in a mirror. or maybe just bad lighting.

I second you NGalitzine. Yesterday I went to this exhibition with my friend, bearing in mind what I have seen in Moscow a few years ago. A smaller exhibition, yes. Although I am not sure about it. but it appeared to me that there were not quite the same items shown as in Moscow. For example, in Moscow I found the Grace's letter to Hitchcock that started 'Dear Hitch', and I am not sure whether it was exhibited here again. Does someone found it here, just curious?

I think that most of the items were copies, if not all of them. Does someone know it?

And yes, the wedding dress was shown from the rear only, plus it was shown on a distance, whereas in Moscow it was shown in a glass box that gave access to it from all sides.

The dark floral cocktail dress of the first meeting with Rainier was obviously different from what was shown on photos and videos! it was clear even for an inexperienced eye. The flowers were misplaced, which was well visible especially on the front :)

I don't think that the materials are used with years. They are just not the same. Made years after, from different fabrics and by different people. All they want to sell us is the legend. :(

Last edited:
For all those in the Victoria, Australia area, the Bendigo Art Gallery will be hosting a 'Grace Kelly: Style Icon' exhibition between March 11 and June 17 next year. The exhibition is organised by the Grimaldi Forum and the V&A Museum in London.

Grace Kelly: Style Icon will highlight the spectacular wardrobe of Grace Kelly and examine her glamorous Hollywood image and enduring appeal. The exhibition features dresses from such films as High Society as well as the gown she wore to accept her Oscar in 1955. It also explores the evolution of her style as Princess Grace of Monaco, from her extensive wedding trousseau to her haute couture gowns of the 1960s and 1970s by her favourite couturiers Dior, Balenciaga, Givenchy and Yves St Laurent.
Bendigo Art Gallery - Grace Kelly: Style Icon

Last edited by a moderator:
:previous:

As Prince Albert has already announced in an interview a couple of days ago (see his current
events thread and the one of Princess Charlene), Princess Charlene and one of his sisters will
conduct the official opening.
Prince Albert himself will have other commitments, but will glamorously be represented :)

Hmm, interesting. Official openings are usually the day before the exhibition opens to the public, so I may head up to Bendigo on that day as well.

Hmm, interesting. Official openings are usually the day before the exhibition opens to the public, so I may head up to Bendigo on that day as well.

Yes, Charlene will open the exhibition on March 10th.

I'll be interested to hear your opinion of the exhibition.

A nice overview of the exhibition in Toronto

Sylvia's Simple Life Blog

The description of the well-worn clothes does give me an essence of Grace, i.e. sensible, practical, loyal to old favourites. I think that I would prefer to see those frequently washed items than a beautiful ballgown which was worn once.

Thank you for posting this melina premiere - I like the pic of the dress below - I know I should recognise it but can anyone tell me which occasions did she wear this?

pic

PA is putting the Kelly's to work. First John Lehman, then Chris Levine and now John Kelly.

they are the nephews of the princess Grace and it is very nice they could attend this sort of events I like a lot this family , I like particularly Chris Levine

they are the nephews of the princess Grace and it is very nice they could attend this sort of events I like a lot this family , I like particularly Chris Levine

I think that Albert considers Chris as his "best friend". :flowers: Wasn't Chris Albert's best man at the wedding. ?

I'm very new to this. Is this the last exhibit of Grace Kelly (in Bendigo, Australia) Please correct if I'm wrong that this exhibit have been going since 2007 right? I mean, I was so mad that I miss the Toronto one since is way closer for me to get there (I live in the States) and now if I want to go to see this exhibit which means I have to fly to Australia....anyway, is this is the last tour of the exhibit? anybody knows?

It is supposed to be the last exhibit with everything returning to Monaco once the exhibit ends. We dont know what will happen once it goes back to Monaco, whether there will be some sort of permanent exhibit or if everything goes back into storage for a period of time.

Bendigo seems an odd location for the exhibit. I would have thought a major city like Melbourne or Sydney would have made more sense.

Sounds like they should extend the exhibit. The article says a 4th Barbie Doll has been introduced. The dress is from the movie REAR WINDOW.

she has not only friends at Melbourne but she has also uncles, aunts and cousins who were invited at the wedding fest at Durban last july. The reporter of Benoni times who was invited to this fest said thar he met them.

Good luck, hope you have a nice time! :flowers:

And please tell us all about it when you get back. :cool:

Back
Top Bottom