Grace Levine

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
iloveroyals said:
I know she died in 1998 or 1999, but the reason I ask is that they were never photographed again together after the wedding (as far as I know). I would have thought Grace would have continued to be a frequent guest of Caroline's, or that Caroline would have spent time with her in the U.S and there is no photographic record of that.

I imagine there are photos of these visits, but remember that these were private family visits. They are probably in the Kelly family photo albums.

I know these contact sheets are really faded ( I think they are from 1978), they come from the Philadelphia Inquirer. Hope they are of interest.

GraceLevineContact2.jpg

GraceLevineContact1.jpg

Thanks for posting the contact sheets !! great pictures!!

Grace LeVine certainly was a pretty girl. Such a shame to die so young. :sad: Thanks for sharing the photo sheets.

libra65 said:
Grace LeVine certainly was a pretty girl. Such a shame to die so young. :sad: Thanks for sharing the photo sheets.

How old was she again ? when she died

sm1939 said:
How old was she again ? when she died
She was about the same age as Caroline, so she was 42,43 maybe.

Those photos (contact sheets) of Grace Levine are wonderful. Incredibly beautiful young woman in these photos.

My God, she really resembled Princess Grace, and of course, her Mother, Lizanne, who was also stunning when she was younger.

I saw pics of Grace Levine's brother, Chris, in Monaco for Prince Rainier's funeral. He is still (late 40's) a very good looking guy. No doubt had Grace Levine lived she would too still be quite the beautiful woman.

Many of the Kelly family today (subsequent generations) are themselves quite good looking people - there was an illustrated article on them I read about 2 or 3 years ago. Don't forget, the Kelly genes also include Ma Kelly's (Maiden name: Majer) German blonde good looks and great bone structure.

By the way, is it just me, or did Princess Grace look more and more German as she got older? I think she did.

I have one more contact sheet of Grace Levine, walking around the Penn campus, plus an interview she did for the Philadelphia Inquirer, and another interview from another cousin (from another sister of Grace), who chose at the time to be, a baker ! I'll post them soon. As I said in another post (how did you become interested in royalty), it always moved me to see Grace in the Penn hallways, knowing the glamorous life she had just returned from in Paris. She seemed such a lovely, lovely girl, a little shy and subdued, but with that innate elegance of the Kellys.

Sorry, correction, I think I talked about seeing her in Glimpses of Royals

Johnnie said:
Don't forget, the Kelly genes also include Ma Kelly's (Maiden name: Majer) German blonde good looks and great bone structure.

By the way, is it just me, or did Princess Grace look more and more German as she got older? I think she did.

How does one look "German"? I realize that tall, blond German actors can only play Nazis if they make it to an American film studio at all but there are not many of us who look that way. It's an old Nazi myth still intact in the US, nothing else.

Oh give me a break will you? LOL. Don't be so defensive about 'looking German'. And drop the 'Nazi' element, that's getting rather old and tired.

And yes, indeed, different nationalities DO have a certain physical
'look' about them, ie Italians, Irish....Chinese...LOL.

I do in fact think Grace looked more like her German side of the family as she got older (her mother, Margaret Majer, was of German descent).

I agree with Johnnie. I think you overreacted Jo.

I am of German descent but have reddish hair and hazel eyes. Bet you can't guess what other nationalities are in my mix.

However, even though Grace did age nicely, her characteristic features developed more resemblances to her mother's side as she got older. That her mother was of German descent is irrelevant. As strong as her family's genes were, Grace would have looked like them were they of Nordic, Prussian or Greek descent. She could have had black hair and violet eyes and still been a beauty throughout the decades...like another actress of the day--Elizabeth Taylor.

Ann

iloveroyals said:
I have one more contact sheet of Grace Levine, walking around the Penn campus, plus an interview she did for the Philadelphia Inquirer, and another interview from another cousin (from another sister of Grace), who chose at the time to be, a baker ! I'll post them soon. As I said in another post (how did you become interested in royalty), it always moved me to see Grace in the Penn hallways, knowing the glamorous life she had just returned from in Paris. She seemed such a lovely, lovely girl, a little shy and subdued, but with that innate elegance of the Kellys.

cant wait for you to post you next lot of goodies , thanks so much in sharing the last lot !!! :)

Can we please get back on topic? This thread is about Grace Levine and not about Princess Grace and her looks.

Thanks,

tbhrc
Monaco Moderator

sm1939, thank you for your appreciation. I'll try to do it before I leave for a week's vacation, otherwise, I'll do it later. Also, can a moderator tell me if it's all right to post an article (interview). It is not very long, but cute, about Grace and Caroline together in Paris and then Grace's plans back in Philly. It is from the Philadelphia Inquirer.

And Italians, of course, can only play mafia roles...

Back on topic now, thanks for posting GL's photos! IMO she was even more beautiful than Caroline. She looks like Charlotte in some of those pics. Thanks again for sharing!:flowers:

Last edited by a moderator:
Johnnie said:
Don't be so defensive about 'looking German'. And drop the 'Nazi' element, that's getting rather old and tired.

I do in fact think Grace looked more like her German side of the family as she got older (her mother, Margaret Majer, was of German descent).

Let's do what the mod wants and talk about Grace LeVine here: as several posters remarked how she resembled her aunt Grace Kelly, we can safely say that the comment about the "German looks" fits in with GL as well, as she is the granddaughter of Ma Kelly of the German descent.

Okay - the Nazi-comment. There was no such idea about a "German look" before the Nazis. The history of "Germany" has always been the history of most of the people of the middle of Europe as well - for centuries the Holy Roman Empire of Germany included European countries from the Baltic to Italy and from the French Border to Osmanic Turkey. It was only in the era of nationalism from around 1830 onwards that the expression "German" began to include only the countries that form today the Federal Republic of Germany, the Federal Republic of Austria and the German-speaking South Tyrolia, which is today a part of Italy.

Still, till the end of WW1 being "German" could mean an enormously wide range of ethnic origins, because being "German" was much more a political origin than an ethnic one. It still is that when it comes to the internal affairs of our country. While the South-Tyroleans feel like "Tyrolean Germans" with an Italian passport, I myself feel like a Palatinian with a German passport, because I'm from the Palatinate, even though I live in Bavaria today. It is an important part of our national identity that we don't really have a national identity, only a political one with a very complicated history.

As for the "German" looks - in reaction to the lost WW1 and the dire punishment the "German" countries received in the German parts of the former Austrian-Hungarian empire and in Germany itself political parties formed that made it their aim to further nationalism and national pride. It was not only the Nazis but these were the most sucessful. All things "Germanic" were put on a pedestral while all things "foreign" were treated as "sub-human". With it came the somehow pervese creation of the public image of the "typical German" with Nordic blond looks and the blue eyes - the "fair" type of Northern Europe. This image was used in all kind of propaganda efforts to make all people who were different in looks appear as second-class people. Notably the Jews and the gipsys, but the same happened to people from Poland, Czech and Slowakia countries, Hungaria, Romania.

While very young Jewish children with blond hair and blue eyes were more than once saved from concentration camps and given to typical "German" families for raising. Or Germanic looking children were stolen from their parents in Denmark and Norway after these countires were occupied and taken to Germany by force for a "German" education.

It's this historic background that makes me so angry when I see that while American children sometimes don't even learn in school where Germany is at all (it's right in the middle of Europe, on the northern part of continental Europe), many of the Americans I met still believe that there is something like "German looks". Claudia Schiffer and Heidi Klum simply don't represent the "Germans". There is no thing like the "Fraeuleinwunder". It could be funny, especially as it is obvious that it's mostly the Germans of Scandinavian descent who have these looks, but not the majority of Germany's citizens.

But for many Germans it is not funny. We've overcome the Nazi regime but we obviously can't overcome the Nazi myth of how we are looking if we are "real" Germans. It's a form of racism, even if it is not meant in any way as negative or insulting, but it's a way to distinguish between "real" Germans according to this Nazi-myth and the rest of us. Which could be treated light-heartedly, I agree, but should not in view of the not so long ago past.

So it's IMHO alright to state that both the daughter and grand-daughter of "Ma" Kelly have looks which remind of fair Europeans as part of their ancestry but there is no such thing as a "German look".

I hope I could make my point clearer.

Greetings from Bavaria in the South of Germany, which is north of Austrian Tyrolia and the Tyrolean North of Italy, Jo of Palatine.

Just for the record, I adore the German people. Definitely NOT the cold folk some perceive them to be - I found the opposite to be true; they have the most wonderful sense of humour. Every time I have been to Germany (Munich being my fav) I have had nothing but great times with the great people there. I also gained too much weight from the German Beer Halls, but that's another story! LOL.

Anyway, back to the late Ms. Grace Levine. Yes, it would be wonderful to see another contact sheet of this exquisite looking woman. That must have been horrible for Lizanne to lose her daughter.

Does anyone know if Rainier, Caroline, Albert or Stephanie attended her funeral service in the States?

Johnnie said:
Just for the record, I adore the German people. Definitely NOT the cold folk some perceive them to be - I found the opposite to be true; they have the most wonderful sense of humour. Every time I have been to Germany (Munich being my fav) I have had nothing but great times with the great people there. I also gained too much weight from the German Beer Halls, but that's another story! LOL.

Johnnie, I never thought for a moment that you meant it as negative. It's just that the words "Deutsches Aussehen" (German looks) are almost only used in a rascist context over here - be it by rascists or by people campaigning against rascism. As I explained it's one of the expressions that are "belastet" (encumbered) by their past use and I wanted to point that out.:flowers:

And yes, we do possess humour... well, most of the time... ;)

While the South-Tyroleans feel like "Tyrolean Germans" with an Italian passport,

I understand them: I also feel like a Tuscan with an Italian passport, and so do many other "Italian" peoples. Anyway I know some Sicilians that could be easily mistaken for Norvegians. To use commonplaces is easier than to use one's own brain, so I wouldn't waste my time in writing a history lesson...:lol:

Did Grace L work in the showbiz?

Tosca said:
Did Grace L work in the showbiz?
No, I don't believe she ever did. Perhaps in her younger days that I am not aware of. At the time of her death she owned and operated a bed & breakfast called Sweetwater Farm in Glen Mills, PA. It is a beautiful property that her brother still owns. There are photos of the place on their website.

Last edited:
libra65 said:
No, I don't believe she ever did. Perhaps in her younger days that I am not aware of. At the time of her death she owned and operated a bed & breakfast called Sweetwater Farm in Glen Mills, PA. It is a beautiful property that her brother still owns. There are photos of the place on their website.

From what I read somewhere, the M. Night Shyamalan film "The Village" starring Joaquin Phoenix, Sigourney Weaver and Adrian Brody was filmed at Sweetwater Farm. I saw the movie, and that place is truly haunting and huge.:)

I'm surprised thats not a more known connection. That explains why Night was able to get away with such secrecy on the set. The area is used to privacy-loving Kelly-Levines.

IIRC Johnnie, Caroline attended Grace Levine's funeral but no other Grimaldis.

Ann

Here is another contact sheet from the Philadelphia Inquirer. Hope it works. I am not a pro at this.

GraceLevineContact3-1.jpg

Cool !! once again thank for posting your fab pictures!

So beautiful girl she was! Thanks for sharing, iloveroyals!

She certainly had that "cool blond" look that so fascinated director Alfred Hitchcock - really took after her beloved aunt Grace.

Grace Levine certainly did look like her aunt Grace! What a stunning classic beauty she was I'm sad to hear she died so young:sad: .She could have been a mode or an actress she could have been a contemorary Hitchcock blonde.I'm glad her family including Caroline and Abert honered her with a foundation to help others.
I do remember reading that Lizanne didn't go to her sister Grace's wedding because she was so close to having her daughter Grace-it was sweet of her to honor her sister by naming the baby after her.:heart:
That family has certaily had it's share of tragedy and then some:sad:

Sorry to return to my original question, but why didn't we ever see Grace Levine at a Rose Ball or Red Cross Ball, or sharing a vacation on the family yacht after Caroline's wedding to Philippe Junot ? They seemed to be so close, it's inexplicable to me. Does anyone have a guess ?

iloveroyals said:
Sorry to return to my original question, but why didn't we ever see Grace Levine at a Rose Ball or Red Cross Ball, or sharing a vacation on the family yacht after Caroline's wedding to Philippe Junot ? They seemed to be so close, it's inexplicable to me. Does anyone have a guess ?

Well, once I read in a mag - I do not know how true this was - that Grace and Rainier didn't like her to be photographed next to Caroline, because of her stunning beauty. According to the mag, they were afraid she could stole attention from their daughter. But again, this is just what I read...

Back
Top Bottom