Grace & Albert: Did Prince Rainier Raise Albert?

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Johnnie

Gentry
City
Toronto
Country
Canada
First and foremost, I would like to take this opportunity to say hello to everyone here, as I am a new member. I thoroughly enjoy perusing the Grimaldi section of this site, as it seems to be without question the most interesting.

I would like to ask a serious question here. I recently read the book
'Once Upon A Time: Behind The Fairy Tale Of Princess Grace & Prince Rainier' by J. Randy Taraborrelli. While a lot of the text contained within this book was really nothing new (in my opinion, anyway) what I did find somewhat disconcerting, and disturbing was the situation with Princess Grace 'not being allowed', for lack of a better term, to raise Prince Albert. The book details Prince Rainier keeping Prince Albert separated from Grace - for the most part - during his formative years, and that Rainier primarily molded and prepared Prince Albert as heir to the throne. Grace was allowed limited access to Prince Albert while he was a young boy, but (according to the book) it was a rule imposed by Prince Rainier that Prince Albert was 'hands-off' as far as Princess Grace was concerned.

Princess Grace was given the responsibility of raising Caroline and Stephanie, but not Albert.

When I read this, I found it rather sad, if this is indeed true. Can anyone here confirm or deny that this was the case with Grace & Albert. I've seen many photos of Grace &b Albert while he was grwoing up, and it APPEARS to be that the two were very close. But after reading the book, I'm not so sure anymore.

I am very surprised. In all the pictures you see, Albert is most of the time with his mom.

Johnnie. I'm sorry you feel its "disconcerting and disturbing"". I didn't read the book but a lot of people apparently have and that info has been going around in the forum for quite a while.

While its ideal for a child especially in the formative years to have both parents, it is not uncommon for dominant fathers to do just that. And understandably so, with the Prince feeling he needed to raise a ruler.

Its difficult rearing a child trying to give it balanced principles for his life journey. We could all speculate. But if that was so, he might just have missed a lot of soft sweetness. Photographs prove nothing except for that moment it is being snapped.

Johnnie said:
First and foremost, I would like to take this opportunity to say hello to everyone here, as I am a new member. I thoroughly enjoy perusing the Grimaldi section of this site, as it seems to be without question the most interesting.

I would like to ask a serious question here. I recently read the book
'Once Upon A Time: Behind The Fairy Tale Of Princess Grace & Prince Rainier' by J. Randy Taraborrelli. While a lot of the text contained within this book was really nothing new (in my opinion, anyway) what I did find somewhat disconcerting, and disturbing was the situation with Princess Grace 'not being allowed', for lack of a better term, to raise Prince Albert. The book details Prince Rainier keeping Prince Albert separated from Grace - for the most part - during his formative years, and that Rainier primarily molded and prepared Prince Albert as heir to the throne. Grace was allowed limited access to Prince Albert while he was a young boy, but (according to the book) it was a rule imposed by Prince Rainier that Prince Albert was 'hands-off' as far as Princess Grace was concerned.

Princess Grace was given the responsibility of raising Caroline and Stephanie, but not Albert.

When I read this, I found it rather sad, if this is indeed true. Can anyone here confirm or deny that this was the case with Grace & Albert. I've seen many photos of Grace &b Albert while he was grwoing up, and it APPEARS to be that the two were very close. But after reading the book, I'm not so sure anymore.

I have not read read the book, but isn't Taborelli the same fellow who wrote that book about the singer michael jackson?

That explains his unsatiable thirst for the admiration of women, any women. He takes what he gets. Poor thing!! I wish he would be rescued by a real woman. ;) He is a frog indeed, waiting to be kissed by a truly loving woman ... and he will then turn into this magnificent human being, shaking off his terrible image and shining like never before. The name "Green Prince" is absolutely the truth, kindly omitting the Frog part. :eek:

I wouldn't take it to mean that Grace had no say in how Albert was raised. I read the book about a year ago and at first it made no sense to me, how could Rainier take the time to supervise Albert's day to day upbringing? What I believe Mr. Taborelli was saying was that Rainier had the overall supervision of Albert's upbringing and education while that of Caroline and Stephanie was left to Grace. As Paca has said, women's rights in Monaco are somewhere in the 1950's today so Rainier's position doesn't seem all that out of line which also explains why Rainier was so seemingly indulgent with his girls (as most fathers are anyway). Rainier probably had some very strong opinions as to how he believed Albert should be raised in terms of where he went to school (public schools in Monaco and then college in America) and what he studied and even what kinds of internships would be useful in his future role as Sovereign Prince. So I don't think Grace was forbidden to see or have any say in how Albert was raised (in fact, I think she had a great deal of influence over Albert's overall view of the world), it's just that Rainier had the overall design of what kinds of formal training would be ultimately useful to Albert.

Seeing that all three had nannies to look after them and PA was very close to his nanny (I think in his very first bobsled teamm her son was one of his teammates), I think both parents were not as involved in their childrens upbringing. The day to day work was done by employees who did the cuddling, drying tears and encouraging, things that usually parents do or should do. I see everyday how these children grow up with their nannies. MUm and dad decide which activities the kid is doing, nanny takes them there and if the kid is lucky, the parents show up for the end of year show. the time the parents actually spend with their children is limited and usually ends as soon as the kid becomes irritating or misbehaved.
So I suppose it was Rainier who was instructing the nanny and giving her the guidelines about how to raise his heir.

Thank goodness that the situation royal'parents&their children seems considerably changed from that time. Mathilde&Filipe, Fred&Mary and Haakon&MM decided to raise their children differently than their parents did. I am sure that today's generation of the little ones are much happier than their parents in the same age and I sincerely hope they will avoid personal complicated problems than generation of 50-60th had...

Donna, I like your combination-interpretation "Green Prince" and "Prince-Frog"! ;) It would be interesting to look at that woman who will turn Albert into the magnificent human being and to observe, step-by-step, the fairy-tale coming true :)

paca said:
Seeing that all three had nannies to look after them and PA was very close to his nanny (I think in his very first bobsled teamm her son was one of his teammates), I think both parents were not as involved in their childrens upbringing. The day to day work was done by employees who did the cuddling, drying tears and encouraging, things that usually parents do or should do. I see everyday how these children grow up with their nannies. MUm and dad decide which activities the kid is doing, nanny takes them there and if the kid is lucky, the parents show up for the end of year show. the time the parents actually spend with their children is limited and usually ends as soon as the kid becomes irritating or misbehaved.
So I suppose it was Rainier who was instructing the nanny and giving her the guidelines about how to raise his heir.

From all I've read about the Grimaldi, I don't think this was exactly the case with Albert, Caro and Steph; Rainier had been brought up by a nanny and he said several times he wanted to be different with his kids, so Grace and Rainier both took some time from their engagements every day to spend it with their kids (Grace more than Rainier).

I thought I had read or heard in an interview that breakfast was the family meal of the day. That Grace and Rainier would have breakfast with the children and sit and chat with them before they all went to school and the office. They would do this because they were often tied up with events at the time of the evening meal when most families dine together.

Grace said:
From all I've read about the Grimaldi, I don't think this was exactly the case with Albert, Caro and Steph; Rainier had been brought up by a nanny and he said several times he wanted to be different with his kids, so Grace and Rainier both took some time from their engagements every day to spend it with their kids (Grace more than Rainier).
Yes, they took time from their engagements, but how much time was there? And he surely took more interest in the upbringing of his children then his parents, but none the less there was a very important nanny looking after the children, tending to all their needs. Caro once said that one of the memories she has about her mother was that she came into the nursery to play with them, always looking impeccable and worried about the children touching her hair. In the interview Caro certainly meant this as a compliment, but to me it just sounded terrible. And if you look at how Caro and Steph are with their children, how little Alex used to play with (and pull) Caros hair, the fact that Steph is always around her children and no nanny in sight (although she did have help when the kids were little), then you can see that they are trying to raise their children differently, where human warmth and emotion is far more important than looking picture perfect all day long ( I think Steph said at one stage when asked about the way she dresses, that she dresses this way because she has 3 children to look after and highheels and miniskirts are a handicap when chasing them around). I believe that the way you raise your children reflects a lot about what you liked yourself in your upbringing and what you would have loved to have differently. And in my oppinion Caro and Steph reveal in their interaction with their own offspring a lot about their childhood with Rainier and Grace.

Actually I think it can be argued that in parenting we can learn from our parents' mistakes, but also that we can learn from them what to do and how to act...it is highly subjective.
By the things I've read, I always had the impression that Grace and Rainier were very affectionate and present parents for the standards of the 50s: they always tried to have all meals together (and sometimes, when he run late, little Caro would phone her father to urge him home as dinner was ready); plus they spent vacations together. Grace said she tried to spend each free moment with her kids, for example they were with her in the morning and helped her pick up what to wear when they were little...she helped them do their homework in the afternoon (she only went to the office in the morning) and put them to bed when she could.
If this is all true (I always doubt what a certain press says) I'd say Caro and Steph have learnt from their parents how to behave with children (and both have said so several times...)
On the other hand I believe Grace and Rainier were very strict regarding public behaviour, particularly with Caro and Albert, less with Steph, and in this dipartment both Caro and Steph have certainly tried to act differently...

paca said:
Yes, they took time from their engagements, but how much time was there? And he surely took more interest in the upbringing of his children then his parents, but none the less there was a very important nanny looking after the children, tending to all their needs. Caro once said that one of the memories she has about her mother was that she came into the nursery to play with them, always looking impeccable and worried about the children touching her hair. In the interview Caro certainly meant this as a compliment, but to me it just sounded terrible. And if you look at how Caro and Steph are with their children, how little Alex used to play with (and pull) Caros hair, the fact that Steph is always around her children and no nanny in sight (although she did have help when the kids were little), then you can see that they are trying to raise their children differently, where human warmth and emotion is far more important than looking picture perfect all day long ( I think Steph said at one stage when asked about the way she dresses, that she dresses this way because she has 3 children to look after and highheels and miniskirts are a handicap when chasing them around). I believe that the way you raise your children reflects a lot about what you liked yourself in your upbringing and what you would have loved to have differently. And in my oppinion Caro and Steph reveal in their interaction with their own offspring a lot about their childhood with Rainier and Grace.

Yes. I agree, the 2 Princesses Stephanie and Caroline seem to be very much hands-on and in touch with their children.:)

Out of the three children, biographers cite that Albert seems to resemble the Grace the most physically and in character.

I've seen a couple of documentaries on the family where it's mentioned that in the 70's; Grace, Caroline and Stephanie all moved to Paris.

One of these programs states that the official reason for the split in the family was that Caroline was going to the Sorbonne and Grace went along as well to keep an eye on her.

I thought it was strange that Albert didn't go too (surely Rainier was too busy to watch him). Then they said that Grace had told her friends that the unofficial reason for the split was that she and Rainier weren't getting along and had temporarily separated.

That made sense as to why Albert wasn't with them. If Rainier and Grace weren't getting along, there's no way he would have let Albert be taken from Monaco.

So, it sounds to me like Rainier DID have final say on how Albert was raised - and by whom. :cool:

Sunflower 1:

I've seen a couple of documentaries on the family where it's mentioned that in the 70's; Grace, Caroline and Stephanie all moved to Paris.

Wow, I had NO idea that ALL 3 moved to Paris. I heard that Grace would visit quite often, but I never knew that all three moved over there. Then again, Caro, at the time, needed a watchful eye on her. Thanks for the info.

Ani

So now Johnnie at least you know how loved PA is. As you can see maybe not too much else!!

Donna..."Poor thing. I wish he would be rescured by a real woman.""

You're very imaginative. I'm sure he has been overwhelmed all of his adult life by adoring women wanting to take care of his emotional needs.

Sunflower1 said:

One of these programs states that the official reason for the split in the family was that Caroline was going to the Sorbonne and Grace went along as well to keep an eye on her.

I thought it was strange that Albert didn't go too (surely Rainier was too busy to watch him). Then they said that Grace had told her friends that the unofficial reason for the split was that she and Rainier weren't getting along and had temporarily separated.

That made sense as to why Albert wasn't with them. If Rainier and Grace weren't getting along, there's no way he would have let Albert be taken from Monaco.

So, it sounds to me like Rainier DID have final say on how Albert was raised - and by whom. :cool:

He was probably in the U.S. at Amherst where he went to college or finishing his last year in school?

Lillia said:
I have not read read the book, but isn't Taborelli the same fellow who wrote that book about the singer michael jackson?
Yes, and he made errors in it. I saw something in this book on Grace and Rainier only I don't recall what it was right now.

I thought so. And he's written books on other people too, I think.

I would look on anything by this guy with some level of suspiscion because he is noted for sensationalizing things.

I think Grace raised and spent more time with Stephanie .But I think Grace Had something to do with Albert growing up he has a lot of her in him . Caroline was a very independent .

sandsla said:
He was probably in the U.S. at Amherst where he went to college or finishing his last year in school?

No, Albert is younger than Caroline so he would still have been "at home", wherever that was. I do know that Grace took the girls to Paris for schooling (and then, later on, Caroline was sent to boarding school in England). I've never heard much talk about what Albert was doing in Monaco during his adolescence.

Prince Raininer loved each of his children. A ruler of Monaco has a job 24-7. I would imagine that Prince Rainier spent as much time as possible with his children.

I saw an interview with Princess Grace where she said her first job was to raise the children. Not to say that they didn't also have nannies. I also have noticed that whenever the children talk about their parents they always call them Mom and Dad. Prince Charles, who was mainly raised by his nanny, always refers to his mother as The Queen. They also went and stayed with the Kelly's every year for at least a month and I know at least Albert and Caroline went to camp in the US with their cousins. Gracie, her cousin, even went to the Sorbonne for a year with Caroline. That's one of the things I've always admired about the Grimaldis. They acted like a regular family. They called their parents mom and dad, PG would say she had to spank Caroline and Stephanie but not Albert, the kids cried at their parent's funeral. The English always looked so stiff and formal (on TV) around each other: like they didn't really know each other. That happily changed with Princess Diana. Princess Anne also seems to have a close relationship with Zara.

Caroline went to high school in England and college in Paris. I think Stephanie was sent to Junior High or High School in Paris while Caroline was in college. Grace went to Paris after Caroline flunked out of the Polotechnic college. PC seems very close with her kids. They are always hugging and laughing.

In his most recent interview Prince Albert alludes to his father as good advisor whose advice he took Pa alluded to the rumours that circulated around his aunt having hurt his dad and that he was going to start a family. I think that Rainier was a great influence on him although he reminds us of Grace. I think he will be steadfast in raisng that family with Rainer's words and Grace's deeds to remind him.Caro I think was the antithesis of Albert and she asserted her independence early on and that was the influence of Grace.Caro was influenced more by her mom I think.Still am figuring out Steph.
I think Prince Rainier raised Albert and had a greater influence on him although in his lifetime he did not live to see that family PA would raise.

In his most recent interview Prince Albert alludes to his father as good advisor whose advice he took Pa alluded to the rumours that circulated around his aunt having hurt his dad and that he was going to start a family. I think that Rainier was a great influence on him although he reminds us of Grace. I think he will be steadfast in raisng that family with Rainer's words and Grace's deeds to remind him.Caro I think was the antithesis of Albert and she asserted her independence early on and that was the influence of Grace.Caro was influenced more by her mom I think.Still am figuring out Steph.
I think Prince Rainier raised Albert and had a greater influence on him although in his lifetime he did not live to see that family PA would raise.[/QUOTE]

"Raise a family"...you gotta be kidding. he denied his daughter Jazmin for more than 14 years because he was so afraid of Daddy.....

Having read quite a bit about the family, I have always thought that Grace & Rainier were both "hands on" parents ( as much as any Royals can be) - it would be obvious for Rainier to be the one to train Albert for his future rolein terms of statesmanship etc, but that doesn't mean that Grace didn't help shape Albert's character & help him with his public persona. What has always struck me in any video footage /photos of the family is how close a unit they seem. Some aspects of the recent tribute exhibition in Monaco were incredibly moving for the private family moments that were featured prominently. I think Albert has done pretty well since taking over, & it is clear he has the support of both his sisters, which again is down to the family unit which Rainier & Grace were so keen to maintain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom