The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Princely Family of Monaco

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 10-18-2004, 12:36 AM
Heir Presumptive

Do they go to Church?

Does the serene family go to church does anyone know?

Old 10-18-2004, 12:49 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Australian
Does the serene family go to church does anyone know?
it was my understanding that there is a chapel within their palace, and that they attend there.

Old 10-18-2004, 12:52 AM
Heir Presumptive

oh ok, thank you.
Old 10-18-2004, 04:35 PM
Heir Presumptive

Hi Aussie, I was about to say the same thing. On special occasions Mass is part of the celebration and they publicly attend. If I recall correctly thought I read somewhere the Reigning Prince is the head of the Church in Monaco. Those who thought Princess Caroline wanted her marriage annulled from her first husband so her children would be inline for the throne also didn't realize as a Catholic she wasn't able to take communion as long as the Church viewed her still married to him. It made her children illegitimate in the eyes of the Church and her as living in sin as a married woman.

BTW Serene is a good answer and mine as well. Serene is a state of tranquility as if in the sky, sea or light. Heavens above, angels, Eden where God placed a cherubim and the fiery ever-turning sword, to guard the way to the tree of life.
Old 10-19-2004, 03:56 AM
Heir Presumptive

great minds think alike ladymcalpine!!!
Old 10-19-2004, 05:10 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyMacAlpine
If I recall correctly thought I read somewhere the Reigning Prince is the head of the Church in Monaco.

In Catholic countries Christ is the head of the Church. The Archbishop of Monaco is the leader of the Church in Monaco. The idea of a monarch being the head of the church only exists in Protestant countries.
Old 10-19-2004, 05:21 AM
Courtier

In an interview some time ago Rainier declared that, as Caroline couldn' take the communion during public functions until her second husband died, and as the celebrant usually approaches the Princely family to communicate them (they do not stand up and go to the altar) the whole family stopped taking the comunion during public functions not to make her too uncomfortable (as apparently she was quite upset by this state of things).The first time she could take comunion in public (I stress in public as I guessed from the interview she kept having it privately) was at her husband's funeral.
Old 10-19-2004, 05:42 PM

Question What about Caroline and her kids?

Do they go to church? Are they together enough to do that? Does anyone know where?

Lsale25048
Old 10-19-2004, 08:27 PM
Heir Presumptive

Somehow I knew if I didn't back it up what I wrote something would be said.

From Catechism of the Catholic Church Father T. uses in class.

2384 Divorce is a grave offense against the natural law. It claims to break the contract to which the spouses freely consented, to live with each other till death. Divorce does injury to the covenant of salvation, of which sacramental marriage is the sign. Contracting a new union, even if it is recognized by civil law, add to the gravity of the rupture: the remarried spouse is then in a situation of public and permanent adultery:

Pope Cracks Down On Communion Rules
Reminds That Remarried Catholics Cannot Take Communion

Apr 18, 2003 1:53 pm US/Central
VATICAN CITY (AP) Pope John Paul II, cracking down on what he considers serious abuses in his flock, issued a stern reminder Thursday that divorced Roman Catholics who remarry cannot receive communion.
Old 10-19-2004, 10:28 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsale25048
Do they go to church?
If they do, they don't seem to be paying much attention to what's been said there. I can't think of another nominally Roman Catholic family whose lives go against the Vatican's teachings on marriage, divorce, out of wedlock children, adultery, etc.
Old 10-20-2004, 05:07 PM
Courtier

I know very well that officially for the Catholic Church divorced people are not allowed to have communion, but I can tell you, living in a very Catholic country like Italy, that this rule is not always respected and priests tend to judge differently according to the single situation or person. Anyway in public Caroline didn't have the communion, but we can't know what happened when she was not in the spot light; in the interview (which was not to Prince Rainier but to an Archbishop by the way) they didn't say she broke this rule in private, I just guessed it from what was said, so it is my supposition.

Bye
Old 10-21-2004, 06:54 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grace
I know very well that officially for the Catholic Church divorced people are not allowed to have communion, Bye

Divorced people can receive communion in the Catholic Church, it is only if they re-marry that they are barred from doing so.
Old 10-21-2004, 07:49 AM
Courtier

Not only if they remarry, but also if they have new relationships and new affairs...anyway in general the Catholic Church doesn't accept divorce as it considers marriage unbreakable...
Old 10-21-2004, 12:10 PM
Heir Apparent

Location: Somewhere in the middle of the River Po Valley, Italy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iain
Divorced people can receive communion in the Catholic Church, it is only if they re-marry that they are barred from doing so.
Only separated people can receive communion unless they have any extramarital relationships. Divorced people can't take communion. Only the Sacred Rota can annull a religious marriage.

Ciao,

Tosca
Old 10-21-2004, 04:46 PM
Royal Highness

It is so sad that the catholic church's stance on this is not Biblical, but rather the legalistic tendencies of men
Old 10-22-2004, 09:05 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reina
It is so sad that the catholic church's stance on this is not Biblical, but rather the legalistic tendencies of men
Malachi 2:14-16: "Marriage is a solemn agreement before God; hence those who divorce their wives are guilty not merely of covenant breaking but of blasphemy."

Luke 16:18: "Whosoever putteth away his wife, and marrieth another, committeth adultery: and whosoever marrieth her that is put away from her husband committeth adultery."

The above is what the Catholic Church bases it's teaching on divorce on and it is therefore hardly "not biblical."
Old 10-22-2004, 09:15 AM
Majesty

lets get this topic on a royal track again as it is a royal forum
Old 10-22-2004, 12:29 PM
Royal Highness

Ok..but where is the part about not being able to take communion. and yes it is adultery in some cases to get divorced, but God also forgives ppl who seek it. so for the "church" to control ppl like that is not Biblical-it is legalistic-and that is a sin just like adultery

Now let's get back on topic
Old 10-23-2004, 11:03 AM
Heir Apparent

Location: Somewhere in the middle of the River Po Valley, Italy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reina
Ok..but where is the part about not being able to take communion. and yes it is adultery in some cases to get divorced, but God also forgives ppl who seek it. so for the "church" to control ppl like that is not Biblical-it is legalistic-and that is a sin just like adultery

Now let's get back on topic
We should go back to the Counter-Reformation days, and this is not the right place to talk about that topic.

Baci, baci, baci,

Tosca
Old 10-23-2004, 01:57 PM
Commoner

marriage and the Bible

1 Corinthians 7: 15 - 16

15But if the unbeliever leaves, let him do so. A believing man or woman is not bound in such circumstances; God has called us to live in peace. 16How do you know, wife, whether you will save your husband? Or, how do you know, husband, whether you will save your wife?
:)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iain
Malachi 2:14-16: "Marriage is a solemn agreement before God; hence those who divorce their wives are guilty not merely of covenant breaking but of blasphemy."

Luke 16:18: "Whosoever putteth away his wife, and marrieth another, committeth adultery: and whosoever marrieth her that is put away from her husband committeth adultery."

The above is what the Catholic Church bases it's teaching on divorce on and it is therefore hardly "not biblical."