The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Princely Family of Monaco

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 08-25-2005, 11:57 PM

mm... i should probably say that the Opus Dei is not a sect, just to clarify, it is a movement, a very conservative movement which tries to stick to ancient catholicism...

A sect is a completly different thing, the Opus Dei stills sees the Pope as head of the church and everything.

Old 08-26-2005, 12:26 PM

How religious can they really be? I think they do what they must for the public eye, but they don't seem to be a religious family. They are Catholic in name, but don't they pretty much do as they please? I'm sure their "religious beliefs" are actually much more modern than the Catholic Church official doctrine. I doubt it has a great impact on their daily lives.

Old 08-26-2005, 02:47 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by CasiraghiTrio
How religious can they really be? I think they do what they must for the public eye, but they don't seem to be a religious family. They are Catholic in name, but don't they pretty much do as they please? I'm sure their "religious beliefs" are actually much more modern than the Catholic Church official doctrine. I doubt it has a great impact on their daily lives.
I think you're right for the most part. I think they're not attending mass every sunday. The princesses got pregnant before beeing married etc.
But catholisism playes an important role in Monaco.
Rainier made this following article part of the constitution:
`Le catholicisme est réligion d'etat' meaning 'Catholicism is the religion of the Principality of Monaco'.
But it's true that the family seems to have amodern understanding of all things concerning.
Anyway, Caroline for example is catholic, Andrea, Charlotte and Pierre as well - Ernst, Ernstie jr., Christian and Alex are protestant - this never caused any big problem for the family.
Old 08-26-2005, 02:58 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebastian
Caroline is catholic, Andrea, Charlotte and Pierre as well - Ernst, Ernstie jr., Christian and Alex are protestant - this never caused any big problem for the family.
I'm just wondering, how do you know that this never cause any "big" problem with the family????
Old 08-26-2005, 03:36 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by photofan
I'm just wondering, how do you know that this never cause any "big" problem with the family????
I never heard anybody complain :)
Old 08-26-2005, 03:38 PM
Courtier

Quote:
I never heard anybody complain :)
Oh, do you know them???
Old 08-26-2005, 03:44 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Oh, do you know them???
Some yes .:)
Old 08-26-2005, 03:56 PM
Courtier

Oh, that's great, but do you know all the family or just a few?
Old 08-26-2005, 04:11 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Oh, that's great, but do you know all the family or just a few?
Mostly Stephanie - but we've met all of them along the way.
Click into the 'Caroline or Stephanie' - thread, my sister describes it there. :)
Old 08-26-2005, 04:30 PM
Courtier

Quote:
How religious can they really be? I'm sure their "religious beliefs" are actually much more modern than the Catholic Church official doctrine.
The Catholic churches of many countries are more modern than the Catholic Church official doctrines, not just Monaco. I know it's the case for Quebec and probably the rest of Canada. That's how the Church will slowly modernize itself: with people with different opinions having a respectful dialogue. The keys words are «slowly» and «respect».
Old 08-26-2005, 04:37 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Mostly Stephanie - but we've met all of them along the way.
Click into the 'Caroline or Stephanie' - thread, my sister describes it there. :)
Do you know little alex???
Old 08-26-2005, 06:11 PM
Courtier

I can't be sure, but I think Caro attends Mass every Sunday; when she cruises during the summer she lands appositely to go to Church on Sunday, so I guess that what she does also during the rest year (this is not hearsay, I witnessed it).

As for faith, who can really tell what's in other people's hearts?

Kisses
Old 08-26-2005, 07:49 PM
Royal Highness

They have always kept the very special tradition of celebrating the Saint Devote in January. They believe in it very strongly. Stephanie for example isconvinced that she owes her life to Saint Devote. That it saved her life after the accident. I think it's a very good thing to believe in.

In 2000 I think she broke into tears at Saint Devote day. The memory overcame her. :(

(profimedia)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0000375957-003.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	48.9 KB
ID:	185911   Click image for larger version

Name:	0000375957-009.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	22.5 KB
ID:	185912   Click image for larger version

Name:	0000375957-011.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	40.9 KB
ID:	185913   Click image for larger version

Name:	0000375957-012.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	38.2 KB
ID:	185914  

Click image for larger version

Name:	0000375957-014.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	43.1 KB
ID:	185915   Click image for larger version

Name:	0000375957-015.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	39.1 KB
ID:	185916   Click image for larger version

Name:	0000375957-022.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	34.2 KB
ID:	185917  
Old 08-28-2005, 11:33 AM
Commoner

Who is the woman in the fur coat assisting/comforting Stephanie in these pictures? You see her in many, many pictures of the family.
Old 08-28-2005, 11:46 AM
Heir Presumptive

She is a lady in waiting but don't recall her name.
Old 08-28-2005, 01:21 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyMacAlpine
She is a lady in waiting but don't recall her name.
It's Verginia Gallico
Old 08-28-2005, 01:24 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
It's Verginia Gallico
Thanks Sebsatian.
Old 09-04-2005, 01:56 AM

the Grimaldis and the Dukes of Hamilton

Technically, the Grimaldis of today are cousins (albeit distant cousins) of the Duke of Hamilton. Related through Lady Mary Victoria Douglas-Hamilton, the mother of Prince Louis II of Monaco and wife of Albert the First, Lady Mary was the daughter of the 11th Duke of Hamilton.
Albert was her first husband. She had a daughter with her second husband, Tassilo Festetics de Tolna, Prince of Hungary. The daughter was Alexandra, Countess of Tolna. So Louis II had a sister.... does anyone know about the sister's line? Alexandra married into the Windisch-Gratz family. Alexandra's daughter then married into the Collalto family, also a German princely family.

How is Prince Albert (the Second) related to the present Duke of Hamilton? How is he related to the current Prince von Collalto und San Salvatore?
How is he related to the current Prince zu Windisch-Gratz?
Old 09-04-2005, 08:52 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Technically, the Grimaldis of today are cousins (albeit distant cousins) of the Duke of Hamilton. Related through Lady Mary Victoria Douglas-Hamilton, the mother of Prince Louis II of Monaco and wife of Albert the First, Lady Mary was the daughter of the 11th Duke of Hamilton.
Albert was her first husband. She had a daughter with her second husband, Tassilo Festetics de Tolna, Prince of Hungary. The daughter was Alexandra, Countess of Tolna. So Louis II had a sister.... does anyone know about the sister's line? Alexandra married into the Windisch-Gratz family. Alexandra's daughter then married into the Collalto family, also a German princely family.

How is Prince Albert (the Second) related to the present Duke of Hamilton? How is he related to the current Prince von Collalto und San Salvatore?
How is he related to the current Prince zu Windisch-Gratz?
I don't fully understand this question
Quote:
How is Prince Albert (the Second) related to the present Duke of Hamilton?
When you answered it with this one.
Quote:
Technically, the Grimaldis of today are cousins (albeit distant cousins) of the Duke of Hamilton.
4th cousin. If you are asking about the relationship between the Grimaldis and Hamiltons sorry I can't say more then they are cousins.
Prince Rainier was seen with the grandaughter of Louis sister and the press was trying to romantically connect them to make her his second Princess of Monaco. I believe it was also this fact that caused the friendship to end.
Old 09-07-2005, 09:40 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyMacAlpine
Prince Rainier was seen with the grandaughter of Louis sister and the press was trying to romantically connect them to make her his second Princess of Monaco. I believe it was also this fact that caused the friendship to end.
I believe this female cousin is Princess Ira von Furstenberg. She was the only female linked to Rainier after Grace's death. I don't know how far their relationship had gone, but Rainier had no intentions of remarrying. Egon von Furstenberg, designer and brother of Ira, was also close to the Grimaldis. He knew Caroline, Albert, and Stephanie well. He would often speak of them when asked for "insider" info, especially on the relationship bet. Caro and Steph. He never spoke ill of them. Diane von Furstenberg was a cousin-in-law.

Kindness is the magic elixir of love - The Practice of Kindness
Closed Thread