The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Princely Family of Monaco

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 04-23-2009, 09:07 AM
Nobility

General information and questions about Monaco and the Princely Family

How does Monaco remains its independance? I know France is responsible for it to a point.The world has seen France-Germany-Greece-Italy and countless other countries lose it monarchies and yet tiny Monaco stays alive? I just find it fascinatin.g

Old 04-23-2009, 09:14 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Until 2002 Monaco would be independent since male heirs to the throne were alive, after the extintion of the male line of the Princely Family it would have become France; in 2002 this pact between France and Monaco has been cancelled, and Monaco will be independent for ever...
But what does "for ever" mean? It's an human "for ever", or an historical "for ever"? (Excuse me for my philosophical thoughts...)

Old 04-23-2009, 11:07 AM
Nobility

Thanks for the response, I know all about the treaties between the 2 nations. How does Monaco stay in the game when other monarchies crumbled.
Old 05-21-2009, 12:17 AM
Nobility

Problems that are attacking Monaco

funny we didnt hear of this when Prince Rainier was alive> Dont anyone thinks its ironic that we hear of Monacos" problems now or is it the acessabilty ( sp) of the internet?
Old 05-21-2009, 01:35 AM
Nobility

It's the accessibility of the internet.

There were always critics of Monaco, especially before the era of Ranier and Grace. No one cared about Monaco before Rainier married Grace and the principality was struggling financially. Also, I don't think the Monegasque would complain so loudly in their own country, but I'm sure if they went out 15 minutes to the west (France), you'd hear them loud and clear.
Old 05-21-2009, 12:22 PM
Courtier

In the early 20 century Monaco was blooming with vistors from all parts of the world.
Big names from the United States like J.P. Morgan and even John Rockerfeller to the Grand Duckes of Russia had traveled to the tiny principality to gamble and relax on luxury what Monaco.But in the middle of the 20 century things turned for the worst and Monaco did not do as well so
many years before in the early part of that era.Monaco became better through Prince Rainier III marrying Grace Kelly turned Princess Grace and then the prince changed how finanically their country should to be run before most financial profits came from just gambling along but now through trading goods through other countries settles most of the finanical things and there is still a little gambling.

I'm head of a dynastic house no matter what others say.
Princess Kamorrissa,Countess of Welle
Old 05-21-2009, 02:38 PM
Heir Apparent

The text of the 2002 Treaty:
Monaco

From quasi-subject of France.... to Sovereignty and Reciprocity. Protective friendship to "traditional friendship".
Monaco can have consular and ambassadorial relations with other states, and has done so with many states.
treaty with France

The Franco-Monegasque Cooperation Committee last met in 2008:
http://www.gouv.mc/304/wwwnew.nsf/19...enDocument&2GB

Sorry, I meant to add the French Government's website entry about Monaco:

In French: France-Diplomatie

In English: France-Diplomatie (but not specifically about Monaco)
Old 07-01-2009, 10:39 PM
Nobility

The Legend of Monte Carlo

Guys- I just ordered a book called The Legend Of Monte Carlo from Amazon- its has great photos. The photographs was captured in the 1930 to 1960's The book shows pics of the celebrities, royalty that visited the city. It also shows how Monaco was built up looks like a different country. Has some pics of the heady days of Rainier and Grace.... It also showed me the diffrent generations of Monaco. Rainier and Grace brought glamour and esteem of royalty and the jet set crowd especially due to her hollywood connections.....Albert is bringing more of a executive force to Monaco I never thought of Alberts reign that way until I saw the pics and the author wording of the book.

* its more like a cocktail table book
Old 07-02-2009, 06:10 AM
Heir Presumptive

Would you please share the photos of Grace with us?Thanks in advance
Old 07-25-2009, 01:18 PM
Gentry

Aristocrats in Monaco

Are there still a lot of titled people living in Monaco ? Is it now mainly new money people ? I always imagine it as a very aristocratic country full of slightly faded glamour
Old 07-25-2009, 01:32 PM
Heir Apparent

Have a read of this:
Monaco - Life's a journey - share it with iTourist!

....and this:
http://www.dispatchesfromthevanishingworld.com/dispatch26/d26_1.html

Renata
Old 07-25-2009, 03:00 PM
Gentry

That's a shame if I ran Monaco I'd find a lot of aristocrats and move them in and bring the faded glamour back
Old 07-25-2009, 06:48 PM
Serene Highness

Red face Glistening Seas

Wonderful article so glad to have the opportunity to read it!!!

Although not a favorable portrait of Pa or Caroline or Stephanie of course it seems biased a bit! But it would be unwise to view PA as weak because he is far from it.

On the contrary a man whom very intelligient and hasn't let it get to his head is indeed a talent and he rules is Country well! Caroline and Stephanie seem to have outgrown all their insecurities and have become focused mothers and siblings !! And the kids, well they are all well grounded and happy!!
Old 08-14-2009, 03:16 PM
Aristocracy

Monaco residences, Caroline and Stephanie

I am wondering about the two houses Rainier gave Caroline and Stephanie, Clos St. Martin and Clos St. Pierre I believe they are named. Are they on the rocher, near the palace?

Another question - how long is Monaco, roughly, from the Fontvielle district out to the end, almost at the Beach Club. Maps on the internet are so imprecise, tying to use the scale to figure it out yields measurements anywhere from 3/4 of a mile to 2 miles.
Old 08-15-2009, 04:18 AM
Heir Apparent

For facts about Monaco, try the CIA Factbook and click on the map, then "Geography". Its coastline is 4.1 km.

https://www.cia.gov/library/publicat...k/geos/mn.html

33 Marching Through Monaco, Themes Visit - by Provence Beyond

This is a very interesting travelogue about Monaco, and it confirms that both Clos Saint-Pierre and Clos Saint Martin are indeed on Moegasque soil.
Old 08-15-2009, 09:27 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renata4711 View Post
33 Marching Through Monaco, Themes Visit - by Provence Beyond

This is a very interesting travelogue about Monaco, and it confirms that both Clos Saint-Pierre and Clos Saint Martin are indeed on Moegasque soil.
i loved the article
Old 08-15-2009, 12:55 PM
Serene Highness

Wink Glistening Seas

we liked the articles very much.

Sound like an enviable climate espcially since they can olive and lemon trees too!
Old 08-16-2009, 06:25 PM
Aristocracy

many times i see various members of the family staying by, near a swimming pool,the same as grace levine and caroline stood by ages ago. which one is it ? the palace`s pool?
Old 08-17-2009, 04:49 AM
Heir Apparent

I understand that Albert had a new pool constructed on palace ground.
Old 08-17-2009, 02:09 PM
Aristocracy

that pool is an old one(seen it in pictures from 70`s) and a public one i think. But it is not the Palace`s pool and nor the Public One(The Big One in Monaco). The question is which is it?