General information and questions about Monaco and the Princely Family

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks for the response, I know all about the treaties between the 2 nations. How does Monaco stay in the game when other monarchies crumbled.

Problems that are attacking Monaco

funny we didnt hear of this when Prince Rainier was alive> Dont anyone thinks its ironic that we hear of Monacos" problems now or is it the acessabilty ( sp) of the internet?

It's the accessibility of the internet.

There were always critics of Monaco, especially before the era of Ranier and Grace. No one cared about Monaco before Rainier married Grace and the principality was struggling financially. Also, I don't think the Monegasque would complain so loudly in their own country, but I'm sure if they went out 15 minutes to the west (France), you'd hear them loud and clear.

In the early 20 century Monaco was blooming with vistors from all parts of the world.
Big names from the United States like J.P. Morgan and even John Rockerfeller to the Grand Duckes of Russia had traveled to the tiny principality to gamble and relax on luxury what Monaco.But in the middle of the 20 century things turned for the worst and Monaco did not do as well so
many years before in the early part of that era.Monaco became better through Prince Rainier III marrying Grace Kelly turned Princess Grace and then the prince changed how finanically their country should to be run before most financial profits came from just gambling along but now through trading goods through other countries settles most of the finanical things and there is still a little gambling.

The text of the 2002 Treaty:
Monaco

From quasi-subject of France.... to Sovereignty and Reciprocity. Protective friendship to "traditional friendship".
Monaco can have consular and ambassadorial relations with other states, and has done so with many states.
treaty with France

The Franco-Monegasque Cooperation Committee last met in 2008:
http://www.gouv.mc/304/wwwnew.nsf/1909$/340E56969704B7E6C1257421002B8852GB?OpenDocument&2GB

Sorry, I meant to add the French Government's website entry about Monaco:

In French: France-Diplomatie

In English: France-Diplomatie (but not specifically about Monaco)

Last edited by a moderator:
The Legend of Monte Carlo

Guys- I just ordered a book called The Legend Of Monte Carlo from Amazon- its has great photos. The photographs was captured in the 1930 to 1960's The book shows pics of the celebrities, royalty that visited the city. It also shows how Monaco was built up looks like a different country. Has some pics of the heady days of Rainier and Grace.... It also showed me the diffrent generations of Monaco. Rainier and Grace brought glamour and esteem of royalty and the jet set crowd especially due to her hollywood connections.....Albert is bringing more of a executive force to Monaco I never thought of Alberts reign that way until I saw the pics and the author wording of the book.

* its more like a cocktail table book:flowers:

Would you please share the photos of Grace with us?Thanks in advance:flowers:

Aristocrats in Monaco

Are there still a lot of titled people living in Monaco ? Is it now mainly new money people ? I always imagine it as a very aristocratic country full of slightly faded glamour

That's a shame if I ran Monaco I'd find a lot of aristocrats and move them in and bring the faded glamour back

Glistening Seas

:hellokitty:Wonderful article so glad to have the opportunity to read it!!!

:butterfly:Although not a favorable portrait of Pa or Caroline or Stephanie of course it seems biased a bit! But it would be unwise to view PA as weak because he is far from it.

:globe:On the contrary a man whom very intelligient and hasn't let it get to his head is indeed a talent and he rules is Country well! Caroline and Stephanie seem to have outgrown all their insecurities and have become focused mothers and siblings !! And the kids, well they are all well grounded and happy!! :rose:

Monaco residences, Caroline and Stephanie

I am wondering about the two houses Rainier gave Caroline and Stephanie, Clos St. Martin and Clos St. Pierre I believe they are named. Are they on the rocher, near the palace?

Another question - how long is Monaco, roughly, from the Fontvielle district out to the end, almost at the Beach Club. Maps on the internet are so imprecise, tying to use the scale to figure it out yields measurements anywhere from 3/4 of a mile to 2 miles.

Last edited by a moderator:
Glistening Seas

:hellokitty: we liked the articles very much.

:globe: Sound like an enviable climate espcially since they can olive and lemon trees too!:butterfly:

many times i see various members of the family staying by, near a swimming pool,the same as grace levine and caroline stood by ages ago. which one is it ? the palace`s pool?

I understand that Albert had a new pool constructed on palace ground.

that pool is an old one(seen it in pictures from 70`s) and a public one i think. But it is not the Palace`s pool and nor the Public One(The Big One in Monaco). The question is which is it?

Probably the Pool at the Beach Club

I'm reading Robert Lacey's book "Grace" at the moment, and she seems to have had problems with shortsightedness since childhood. She wore glasses as an adult.

Thank you so much for posting this link:) I was fortunate to be watching the fireworks the night covered by the report so it made it very special to see these pictures. The international fireworks competition is held every year in the summer with approx 4 countries competing. The liners/yachts that are moored in the bay always show their appreciation at the end of the display by sounding their horns - this seems to add to the occasion. The fireworks competition has been held since 1966 when it was created as part of the celebrations for the Centenary of the Sovereign Order to establish the district of Monte-Carlo.

Oh thank you so much for your explanation - I do not speak French, so the details of this video clip were lost to me. I thought that this was the usual fireworks display for a festival in Monaco. !!

Official Life (1956 - 1982)

I have several books on the late Prince Rainier III and Princess Grace - both of whom are greatly missed - and they only barely touch upon the official aspects of their lives as The Prince and Princess of Monaco. I have read countless books and searched the internet regarding the official life and state visits to and from Queen Elizabeth II and Prince Philip, however, there is nothing remotely similar to that concerning the 26-year marriage of the most glamorous royal couple in modern history.

Given the fact that Princess Grace is remembered fondly amongst world royals - as testament to her funeral services - I was wondering what types of relationships did the couple have with other royals and statesmen and what were the aspects of their official life (official visits to and from Monaco, patronages, acclaim shown them from other heads of state/government, events attended by the couple (i.e. funerals, weddings, etc.) of other VIPs around the world).

I know this is a lot to ask but, come on. The prince and the movie star were married for 26-years! Surely they did many things of substance besides just raising three children, dealing with Grace's adjustment to palace life and taking carefully-orchestrated pictures.

An interesting and quite extensive area to debate! But where to begin?Robert Lacey makes some interesting comments in his biography of Grace about her approach to royal duties. He particularly notes how Grace contributed to the official visit to Paris in 1959, charming the anti-American de Gaulle by her insistence on speaking to him only in French. Lacey comments: "For three days Grace toured French hospitals,schools & orphanages,winning friends wherever she went, "the best ambassador I have is Grace" Rainier commented proudly"
Further in his biography, Lacey mentions between 1956 & 1962, Grace & Rainier had official visits to Washington, Paris, London, Spain, Ireland &the Vatican

An interesting and quite extensive area to debate! But where to begin?Robert Lacey makes some interesting comments in his biography of Grace about her approach to royal duties. He particularly notes how Grace contributed to the official visit to Paris in 1959, charming the anti-American de Gaulle by her insistence on speaking to him only in French. Lacey comments: "For three days Grace toured French hospitals,schools & orphanages,winning friends wherever she went, "the best ambassador I have is Grace" Rainier commented proudly"
Further in his biography, Lacey mentions between 1956 & 1962, Grace & Rainier had official visits to Washington, Paris, London, Spain, Ireland &the Vatican

I have several books on the late Prince Rainier III and Princess Grace - both of whom are greatly missed - and they only barely touch upon the official aspects of their lives as The Prince and Princess of Monaco. I have read countless books and searched the internet regarding the official life and state visits to and from Queen Elizabeth II and Prince Philip, however, there is nothing remotely similar to that concerning the 26-year marriage of the most glamorous royal couple in modern history.

Given the fact that Princess Grace is remembered fondly amongst world royals - as testament to her funeral services - I was wondering what types of relationships did the couple have with other royals and statesmen and what were the aspects of their official life (official visits to and from Monaco, patronages, acclaim shown them from other heads of state/government, events attended by the couple (i.e. funerals, weddings, etc.) of other VIPs around the world).

I know this is a lot to ask but, come on. The prince and the movie star were married for 26-years! Surely they did many things of substance besides just raising three children, dealing with Grace's adjustment to palace life and taking carefully-orchestrated pictures.

You cant compare the two- England is a world power with a queen who reigns over millions of subjects and is the head of goverment of many countries-England has old world rituals rich wth pagentry and parades. Many palaces- crown jewels and the The opening of Parliament-Official visits from other heads of state makes England more news worthy.

They are many pictures of the Grimaldis with other royal persons of note- many on this forum and other forums. The Grimaldis has more a social relationship with other royals than a official one. France handles most of the official diplomatic issues for Monaco.

Rainier and Grace produced a modern Monaco-He added land from the sea and revived revenue for Monaco so gambling wasn't the main source of revenue.
Grace created daycare centers in Monaco before it became fashionable:flowers:
Grace created charities for Children of Amade-Performing Arts-Poetry Readings-Red Cross.

Monaco royal family dose not carry out many official visits to other countries-Their visits are mostly on social and charitable occasions.

The other day Crown Princess Victoria Of Sweden was in Monaco for a charity as well as the Belgian and Luxembourg royals.

I feel that the celebrity of Grace ( in her time ) over shadowed the goodworks she and her family dose. The publicity machine at the time focused on her troubles/daughters etc.

If you are making comparisons in terms of size of country/world status etc, no you certainly cant compare. However, don't forget that the Grimaldis hold real power in Monaco so when it comes to making diplomatic visits with France or other near countries like Italy it does have international clout & if you read what happened between France & Monaco during the deGaulle years, this is no doubt that this wasn't just a public relations exercise which a British State visit at this time would have been.

Back
Top Bottom