General information and questions about Monaco and the Princely Family

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Many thanks Duc et Pair the lack of State Visits by the Monegasque Princely Couple would explain the non existent Foreign Royal Orders!

But that leads me to a further question as to why the Monaco family do not participate in many state visits. Albert/Charlene/ Caroline attend most of the important state occasions of European royals i.e.(weddings/anniveraries and funerals) and there's a lot of diplomatic ties with other countries.

An interesting report about the Princely family selling items from their Napoleonic collection.
A small comment indicates this is to make way for a new museum dedicated to Princess Grace.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-30038666

Last edited:
But that leads me to a further question as to why the Monaco family do not participate in many state visits. Albert/Charlene/ Caroline attend most of the important state occasions of European royals i.e.(weddings/anniveraries and funerals) and there's a lot of diplomatic ties with other countries.

Monaco is really small, it has only 30.500 inhabitants. I mean, Wassenaar, the lush residential municipality bordering The Hague, where the Dutch King Willem-Alexander has his private domain already has the same number of inhabitants... It is just a tiny dot on the map crowded by über-wealthy non-monegasques. It is for the same reason that the principalities of Liechtenstein, Andorra and San Marino also receive no State Visit. The Holy See can not be compared with the three named principalities as they "employ" around 400.000 priests, 700.000 sisters, 60.000 monks, "servicing" 1.300.000.000 catholics in all possible corners of the Globe.

:flowers:

An interesting report about the Princely family selling items from their Napoleonic collection.
A small comment indicates this is to make way for a new museum dedicated to Princess Grace.
BBC News - Napoleon's hat expected to fetch 500,000 euros at auction

BBC News - Napoleon's hat expected to fetch 500,000 euros at auction

Yes I saw this earlier on the news,I never knew the Princely family had such a collection on Napoleon of all people!

I find it incredible they are selling the whole collection - I found a couple of references online suggesting there is a great deal of unhappiness in the museum world that this collection is being split up, and that France is trying to secure most of it.
It is/was on exhibition in a wing of the Palace and much as I would welcome a museum to house the wonderful collection relating to Princess Grace, I am suprised that this supercedes the historic importance of the Napoleonic collection. I wouldn't have thought Monaco plc was short of a few bucks to have both. I guess it's clear though which will brings in the tourists.

(..) such a shame the collection is being broken up.

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app

Last edited by a moderator:
Elevated to HRH instead of HSH?

I cannot remember which royal family I was reading about, but I recall a Serene Highness' family being elevated to Royal Highness because of whom they married.

My question is, If the heir to the throne of Monaco married a Royal Highness, would their children become Royal Highness since it is a higher title and therefore making all future children royal highness?

The example we have there is HSH Princess Caroline of Monaco who became HRH Princess Caroline of Hanover when she married Prince Ernst. Their daughter is also HRH but Caroline's children from her earlier marriage have no royal titles at all (and after this morning's birth will probably never have them).

With that precedent if the new baby boy married an HRH the it is possible that the prince could argue that his status was raised due to his marriage but as he is the ruling prince I doubt it.

So if the new heir married williams second child if it's abgurk, would their child be Royal highness? I know it's all hypothetical but I like to think about these things.

Probably not - in the UK a girl can't pass on HRH without specific new LPs, which would only be created for an heiress apparent. In Monaco the ruling prince if only a HSH and so would pass on that rank to his children.

If the heir is a girl and she marries and HRH then the situation would be different.

I think that the example LeDerius has heard about might have been Luxembourg. Grand Duchess Charlotte of Luxembourg was a Serene Highness and Grand Duchess in her own right. She married a Royal Highness, Prince Felix of Bourbon-Parma. Their children inherited the Luxembourg title from their mother, but got the HRH from their father.

Basically the titles and styles are only inherited though the father or if the mother is the heiress.

So you see that for Monaco it would only work if a femal heiress married a Royal Highness. This could only apply if little Prince Jaques would one day followed up by his daughter. That's very far away.

True, in general it is the father whom determines the titulature:

HRH The Prince of Hannover x HSH Princess Caroline of Monaco
= HRH Princess Charlotte of Hannover

By virtue of marriage HSH Princess Caroline of Monaco can be addressed as HRH The Princess of Hannover (titre de courtoisie).

---

HGDH Grand Duchess Charlotte of Luxembourg, Princess of Nassau married with HRH Prince Félix de Bourbon de Parme, upon marriage created Prince de Luxembourg. So their children received the title Prince (Princess) de Bourbon de Parme with the honorific HRH. As they were members of the House of Luxembourg, they received the titles Prince of Luxembourg, Prince of Nassau. Result:
HRH Prince (Princess) [name] of Luxembourg, Prince (Princess) of Nassau, Prince (Princess) de Bourbon de Parme

:flowers:

Does Baron Jean-Léonard Taubert-Natta de Massy ever attend official functions like his mother Elisabeth and half sister Mélanie de Massy?

Each year we get pics of Caroline and her family enjoying a vacation aboard Pacha 111 . Does anyone know if Stephanie and her family ever use the yacht - it seems like Caroline has claimed it for her fast growing family :)

Each year we get pics of Caroline and her family enjoying a vacation aboard Pacha 111 . Does anyone know if Stephanie and her family ever use the yacht - it seems like Caroline has claimed it for her fast growing family :)

I think the Pachaa belongs to Caroline. She has not claim her. It is her own yacht.

Elly C, the Pacha III is a pretty old yacht, it was built in 1936 and had other owners and names before. Stefano Casiraghi bought it in 1990, shortly before his death, for himself, Caroline and their children. So it's not a Grimaldi yacht the whole family uses. As fandesacs2003 already stated it's owned by Caroline.

Thank you both for the information about the Pacha yacht, I hadn't realised it had "changed hands". Is there a more recent Grimaldi yacht?

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app

Prince Rainier used to have the Stalca. Name comes from STephanie ALbert CAroline. I do not know what happened to the yacht when he passed..

at the time of his wedding he had the Deo Juvante and later the Carostefal. I don't know if it was before or after Stalca. But I don't think he had a yacht by the time he passed.

Oh I didn't know about the acronyms for the yachts! How cute!

Back
Top Bottom