The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Princely Family of Monaco

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 12-28-2009, 08:17 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuedePhiladelphia View Post
Why does Monaco have to spend billions to create more space on the ocean? Why cant they buy property/land from France? I dont get it. Since the two countries are so connected it makes sense that the principality would pay the money to France and enhance the living on the Riveria
Countries do not generally voluntarily sell or give up their territory to another nation. The days of the Louisiana or Alaska purchases are long gone.Can you imagine the US selling part of its territory to Canada or
Mexico? Besides the residents of the neighbouring French territories may not wish to become subjects of the Grimaldi family.
Plans to build more offshore territory for Monaco are indefinitely postponed due to the current economic climate.

Old 12-29-2009, 08:55 AM
Heir Apparent

"Extension maritime":
Monaco already has valuable experience and expertise in gaining more territory.

They already have two of the world's best architects on board: Sir Norman Foster and Daniel Libeskind.

The plan is to add ten new hectares to the 200 hectares already there.

Two groups of builders/financiers are already established: "Monte-Carlo Development Company" (Norman Foster/Michel Pastor/Bouygues) and "Monte-Carlo Sea Land" (Libeskind/Van Oord).

The latter, being Dutch, has hundreds of years experience in reclaiming land from the sea!

Extension maritime de Monaco: avantage aux projets Foster et Libeskind, actualité Sciences : Le Point

Old 12-30-2009, 12:28 AM
Serene Highness

Glistening Seas

It's good that the plans and groundwork are at least there and ready so that Monaco can have an extension.
Old 12-30-2009, 03:27 PM
Heir Apparent

The latest is that PA is looking for a modified or new plan which, amongst other things, could address environmental issues which, in the old plan, had not been addressed sufficiently.

I think the delay will hopefully concentrate the minds to come up with a "greener" plan.
Old 12-30-2009, 09:34 PM
Serene Highness

I really hope that the land extension will be built. It seems so good idea.

"The course of true love never did run smooth " William Shakespeare, 'A Midsummer Night's Dream'

http://www.aishwarya-rai.com/
Old 01-03-2010, 04:31 PM
Heir Apparent

This (..) is about the relationship between the Prince(s) of Monaco and the surrounding villages and towns, some of which have been part of Monaco for a time.

Menton and Roquebrune - Cap Martin were part of Monaco from 1814. In 1847, "la révolution mentonnaise" - the Revolution of Menton - begins with the wish of the people of Menton to become independent of the Monegasque State. A plebiscite in 1848 detaches Menton and Roquebrune from Monaco and places it under the rule of Turin and Piemont.

CG06 - 1814-1870 : La principauté de Monaco

The Prince of Monaco also has good relationships with a range of other communities around the Principality, e.g. Beausoleil, La Turbie, Ventimiglia (Vintimille in French) and others.

The Diocese of Monaco includes several villages around Monaco, e.g. Beausoleil, Cap d'Ail, La Turbie, Peille.
http://www.eglise-catholique.mc/culte/horaires.htm

On January 1st, in response to the New Year 2010 message of Prince Albert, a Nice-Matin website user named "Citronnet" from Menton addresses himself to the Prince, offering his good wishes in "Mentounasc" (the Menton dialect):

"Bouana et santa anaia per 2010"

He also reminds the Prince of the 150th anniversary this year of the secession of Menton to France, but stresses that the Mentonnais have not forgotten the historical and friendly links which unite the monegasque and mentonnais people which they would want to strenghten with fraternal exchanges.

Les voeux du prince Albert II aux Monégasques pour 2010 - Monaco - Monaco - Côte d'Azur - l'actualité en direct avec Nice-Matin - nicematin.com
Old 01-03-2010, 05:42 PM
Serene Highness

Talking

Are there a few olive and lemon groves in Monaco & surrounding communities today?
Old 01-03-2010, 06:13 PM
Heir Apparent

There is an annual Lemon Festival (Fete aux Citrons) at Menton. I've seen photos here at TRF, of PA making an official visit to it.
Old 02-13-2010, 02:21 PM
Courtier

Grace & Her Daughters

Can anybody explain what Grace's relationship with her daughters was like? I hear such contrasting accounts all the time. There are some saying she doted upon Stephanie because she was the "miracle" child and others who say that she hated Steph's promiscuous and partying ways. Particularly with Caroline though. It's been said that Caroline and her mother had a very tenuous, tension-filled relationship because Caro thought she spoiled Steph and because Grace was conversely very strict on her oldest daughters. Basically they weren't supposed to have gotten along at all but apparently, the main rift in Caro & Steph's relationship is because Caroline blames her sister for their mother's death. Does anybody have any insight on this? I hope this hasn't been asked before, I don't want to be redundant.
Old 02-13-2010, 06:19 PM
Royal Highness

I believe things are misinterpreted here. Grace loved both her daughters dearly. She watched over them, took care of them, tried to teach them as many things and skills as possible. She might have been a little more strict with Caroline than with Steph but that's also due to the fact that Stephanie is eight years younger than Caro so she was brought up in a different time ...sort of. I think Grace put a lot of trust in her girls and that she was ( and still is ) proud of them.
The main misunderstanding and false interpretation is that there is a rift in the sisters relationship. There isn't really .. and Caro certainly doesn't blame her little sister for anything. It would be horrible if she did ... but I believe and know she doesn't. She loves Steph.
Old 02-13-2010, 09:53 PM
Serene Highness

Red face Glistening Seas

oh goodness Whomever said that must have definitely been embellishing more than just a bit! hee! Pss. Caroline comes accross as far too level-headed of an individual to blame Stephanie for the mothers death considering the injuries Stephanie endured as well. Let's face it all parents are stricker with the older children than with the youngest even though parents don't play favorites it's simply how it is--and quite normally so!! however, once people grow up they realize and outgrow attitudes about it imho.
Old 04-08-2010, 10:07 AM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Month Representative - Monaco and Sweden

Jean-Paul Proust, head of government and foreign minister of
Monaco from June 2005 till March 2010 has died last night at
the age of 70 at a hospital in Marseille, France.

** Pic ** article: Jean-Paul Proust est mort **
Old 04-08-2010, 03:47 PM
Heir Apparent

How sad.... a charming man by all accounts, he was the driving force behind Monaco leaving the OECD black list.

I liked seeing him on National Day in his uniform.....
Old 04-18-2010, 05:31 AM
Heir Apparent

Monaco's Pavilion at the 2010 Expo Shanghai China

A thread to celebrate Monaco's contribution to the 2010 EXPO Shanghai - from May 1st to October 31, 2010.

Seventy million visitors are expected.....

The theme of the Expo: "Better City, Better Life".

The theme of the Monégasque Pavilion:
"Monaco - un Rocher pour l'éternité" - "Monaco, a Rock for eternity"

Here's a foretaste - a video:
Découverte du pavillon de Monaco à Shanghai | Portail info Monaco

Expo Website:
Shows feature monks, kung fu and city folk_lastest news_Shanghai World Expo
Old 05-05-2010, 04:01 AM
Heir Apparent

A new problem for PA and the Principality:

This morning's Le Figaro reports between six and ten metre high waves along the Côte d'Azur, including Nice and Cannes. The airport was also affected.

The mayors of Nice and Cannes have proclaimed a "natural catastrophe", and a politician said there had not been such waves since 1959.

There have been casualties, mainly broken bones.

Along the coast, many vessels have been damaged.

At the same time, the south-west of France is under a blanket of snow...

Le Figaro - France : Des vagues de six mètres de haut sur le littoral azuréen
Old 05-08-2010, 11:59 AM
Courtier

I don't know quite where to post this, but....

I am cataloging my great-uncle's papers for an exhibit and book. He and his traveling troupe performed for Princess Antoinette and her father the sovereign Prince Louis II in February 1936 at a command performance that was a gala; I have the program and the clippings of the Prince and his sister leaving the event.

Is there such a thing as a historian to the Royal House? If yes, then do you suppose I could write to them for more details as to the circumstances under which the specific performers were selected?

Thanks!
Old 05-09-2010, 01:52 PM
Aristocracy

are there any original monagasques living in monaco..any children living there?
Old 05-09-2010, 02:01 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemonaco View Post
are there any original monagasques living in monaco..any children living there?
Do you mean Royals living in Monaco?
I think Albert does. Caroline has reportedly moved back to Monaco after the rumours with Ernst. Alexandra goes to school in Monaco, and presumably will be with her mother now.
Old 05-09-2010, 03:00 PM
Aristocracy

no i wasnt meaning that..are there any families living there rather than typical rich wife and husband
Old 05-09-2010, 04:47 PM
Heir Apparent

The Monaco Charity Film Festival ends Tuesday 11th.

All showings are/were free of charge, and two charities/projects benefit from this annual event.