General information and questions about Monaco and the Princely Family

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
When it comes to figures my brain turns to mush.

As a Grace Kelly fan, I mainly look forward to events or situations where they mention or honour Grace. I feel only only Albert and Jazmine are happy to talk about her.

There were events honouring Prince Rainier recently, rightly so but I'd like to see something big for Grace.

I hope this doesn't cause offence but the only reason people are still interested in Monaco, and the family is because of Grace.

I found Princess Caroline's interview very hurtful were she was very dismissive of her mother.

There was one interview Charlotte gave woth Robert amd they showed her a clip of Grace and she didn't look happy at all. I mean I'd be happy to see clips of my grandmother again. This is even without her being one of the most famous, beautiful women of all time!

In her book recommendations she mentioned a book about Marilyn Monroe and I was like your grandmother was her contemporary! Maybe it's a weird feeling for her.

Albert has been to Boston and is still close with his cousins but it seems like no one else cares.

She's never bought up in conversations, happily (e.g my grandma liked this, was interested in this, I loved this movie of hers etc

I find it quite sad.

The only revelation that is interesting is that the late Prince Rainier wanted to bypass Albert for Andrea. That is something I'd very much like to know more about. I definitely remember when Albert was viewed as an irresponsible womanizer but I feel he has proven himself as the sovereign prince. The fact that he is very generous and a pushover to his strong minded sisters isn't shocking at all.

So, if I understand it correctly, Nicole Coste does not 'receive' 1 million euros a year (as a fixed amount/budget) but convinced Albert to back up her business, which Palmero indicated in 2015 to be 'on course' to cost 1 million euros a year.

And while Charlene's official budget (provided by her husband) is 1,5 million per year; she spends twice as much - as she knows that he will make up the difference.

In regards to the first part this is what I have seen a few reports say - not that Nicole got 1million personally but that he backed her business.

Prince Albert of Monaco and Prince Andrew, Duke of York are doing their utmost best to destroy Europe's monarchies. As well, this is a time when they've mostly lost the young people. How can these monarchies survive?

Prince Albert of Monaco and Prince Andrew, Duke of York are doing their utmost best to destroy Europe's monarchies.

Please let us not forget, that Monaco is in a very difficult situation. They had changed there the business model of Monaco towards tourism. And they were suffering really badly under Covid! The tourists stayed away and so did their money! But Monaco has very high annual costs - for example for the Police. It is not the safest place in the world for no reason!

In short: The state finances of Monaco are hard hit!

And while Monaco is a constitutional Monarchy, it is not a real democracy. Prince Albert is largely in responsibility for the public deficit.

They are fighting in Monaco to come back with a new land claiming project, which you can admire at Google Earth right left to Larvotto Beach.

And this "whistleblower" here - He worked for the Palace of the Prince. And he was fired by the Prince for financial misbehaviour. And now he, the "whistleblower", is trying to save himself by painting the Palace in dark colors. We will see, what this leads to, but to say, Prince Albert is out to destroy Monarchy is pretty over the top!

When it comes to figures my brain turns to mush.

As a Grace Kelly fan, I mainly look forward to events or situations where they mention or honour Grace. I feel only only Albert and Jazmine are happy to talk about her.

There were events honouring Prince Rainier recently, rightly so but I'd like to see something big for Grace.

I hope this doesn't cause offence but the only reason people are still interested in Monaco, and the family is because of Grace.

I found Princess Caroline's interview very hurtful were she was very dismissive of her mother.

There was one interview Charlotte gave woth Robert amd they showed her a clip of Grace and she didn't look happy at all. I mean I'd be happy to see clips of my grandmother again. This is even without her being one of the most famous, beautiful women of all time!

In her book recommendations she mentioned a book about Marilyn Monroe and I was like your grandmother was her contemporary! Maybe it's a weird feeling for her.

Albert has been to Boston and is still close with his cousins but it seems like no one else cares.

She's never bought up in conversations, happily (e.g my grandma liked this, was interested in this, I loved this movie of hers etc

I find it quite sad.

I totally agree with you, I have see Stephanie once talk about her mom, which was sweet, but they hardly bring her up , and your right about Caroline Iv never read any where, that she has ever said anything positive about her mom. ( I could be wrong ), but there again Caroline is very private so I don't suppose she will lay her heart out about her feelings, and I don't blame her either, just a shame, but I'm glad Prince Albert does.

I am not sure if Monegasques should be concerned about Albert's spending. My understanding is that Palmero talked about Albert's spending from his private funds.
I understand that Albert is generous to his adult illegitimate children, kids are kids, but Nicole? She's only a former secret girlfriend. He should not fund her business and spend $1 million a year on her.
Just wondering if Albert ever signed a non disclosure agreement with his accountant. I hope that Albert will not let it go and sue the disgraced employee.

Last edited:
One of the most potentially damaging things about this article of Le Monde is the claim of Palmero that the family also uses State funds for personal use.

Also, it is claimed by Palmero that members of the family owns offshore accounts (namely Albert, Caroline, Stéphanie, and Charlotte). Jean Michel Darrois, the new lawyer of the family answered in the same article that these accounts were opened in the eighties by the father of Mister Palmero and that they asked for their closure but were surprised to see that Palmero did not follow their instructions.

Other serious concern is the close link between Pastore with the casiraghi sons business. Palmero said that it is the main reason of Albert inaction toward their monopole in the principality real estate. The family Pastore has constructed 80% of the buildings in Monaco.

Bloomberg's respected news magazine Businessweek released an article yesterday, "The Monaco Royals Whose Deals Have Brought Peril to the Palace Doors." The article looks at an investigation into alleged corruption and conflicts of interest in Monaco, including whether the Palace gave preferential treatment to the Casiraghi brothers on lucrative contracts, including real-estate deals and a passenger helicopter franchise. (Both Albert and the Casiraghis denied any wrongdoing.)

Some notes from the article:
  • "When the prince's wife blew past her allowance, Palmero [the family's former accountant and advisor] balanced the accounts."
  • "He [Palmero] paid for Albert's secret apartment out of his own pocket, so no one could trace it back to the monarch."
  • Regarding Mareterra, a luxury development that would increase the principality's area by 3%, Businessweek says Albert "worried about his nephews' desire to own a piece of the project," but Caroline intervened. "Everyone makes money in Monaco, she told her younger brother; why not them?"
  • French President Emmanuel Macron has urged Albert to "restore confidence in his leadership with a cleanup" of business practices.
  • Businessweek mentions a recent article in Le Monde that claims "Albert's reign was in doubt before it ever began," because of Rainier's doubts about Albert's seriousness.
  • "Rainier met secretly with advisers and, according to a document reviewed by Businessweek, considered turning the country over to" Andrea to secure the "longevity of the dynasty."
  • The article quotes Albert as saying that story is "a fable." Albert said in a statement, "I would add that our entire family is deeply united around my wife and Myself, as it was yesterday behind Prince Rainier III and Princess Grace, and as it will be tomorrow around Prince Jacques."
  • Pierre owns a castle in southern France where he practices the medieval combat sport "buhurt," where men in old-fashioned knights' armor whack each other with axes, swords, and shields. (Buhurt seems to be growing in popularity -- I recently read an article about it here in the United States.)
  • The Casiraghis announced at the Cannes Film Festival that they're producing an "epic movie franchise" about Monaco and the Grimaldis going back to the 14th century.

The article is behind a paywall, but if you have a subscription to Bloomberg or Apple News+, you should be able to read it. Bloomberg - Are you a robot?

It looks like the main point of the report is this one: "Albert’s financial favors for family aren’t illegal in Monaco, as they’re a constitutional monarchy that makes Albert immune to prosecution, but it’s put the royal family under a magnifying glass it’s not accustomed to." It is good to be Prince!
It looks like another financial scandal coming up for Albert including his nephews Andrea and Pierre

With the movie production part, I'm resigning myself the fact they'll totally remove Grace from it all when she should be the focus. I meant it's so obvious to correlate making a movie, with the history of Monaco, to the biggest star of Monaco (of movie stardom in general) oh who happens to be their grandmother! But I bet there will be no tribute or care towards Grace.

Maybe I'm being too unfair or paranoid. Maybe I'm looking at it from a fan perspective but with every new event or place the Monaco's/Grimaldis are at, I have this hope there will be some beautiful acknowledgement of Grace. I mean Charlotte has been to Hollywood events a few times.

I didn't know until just a while ago the rose ball was for for the princess Grace foundation. Do they even mention her? Is there a picture of her there?? I've seen Mika perform there. I know his famous song was Grace Kelly. Did they invite him there to perform that??? I don't know whether to take that as a compliment or not.

I know they're private but it would be nice. I've been told before sadly they never knew their grandma but my relatives acknowledge those who have passed and they weren't a frickin movie star! Icon! Legend! One of the most beautiful women in the world!

Stefano will be rightly remembered by the youngsters even though they never knew him. I just wish Grace was given the same respect.

There were big Grand events, exhibitions for Prince Rainier but nothing for Grace!

I know Prince Albert was so close to his mother and to this day when he talks about her, you feel the longing and the love. I know he's close to his nephews and nieces, so I'm hoping they do adore in private because I can't see him being close to those who don't love his mother.

I remember Caroline, Albert and Stéphanie talking about Grace in interviews. Just like they also talk about Rainier.

As for grandchildren. They didn't meet Grace. Andrea, Charlotte and Pierre were born in the years following Grace's death. And Louis, Pauline and Camille are even younger. Surely everyone knew Grace through the stories her parents told them.

Andrea, Charlotte and Pierre met Rainier. But I don't remember if they talked about Rainier in interviews.

I wonder if Albert ever told Jacques and Gabriella who Grace and Rainier were.

Don't take this the wrong way but of course Albert would've told the twins about them. It's only natural and normal to know about grandparents. Especially as Charlenes parents are still here

Not just as their grandparents but as prince and Princess (and movie star) its a legacy as well as family.

"On today’s Big Take podcast, a Bloomberg investigation into how the financial dealings of Monaco’s royal nephews are bringing heightened scrutiny to the way business is done in the country."

I wonder if Albert ever told Jacques and Gabriella who Grace and Rainier were.
As Prince Jacques is the next Sovereign Prince I'm sure he and his sister are being well versed in the family history.

Monaco still ‘breathes’ the memory of Rainier and Grace from the names of some the buildings/ streets to events that were inaugurated during their time which continue today . The centenary of Rainier’s birth was celebrated last year with numerous events and exhibitions including a wonderful circus exhibition which I should imagine the children were taken to.

It looks like the main point of the report is this one: "Albert’s financial favors for family aren’t illegal in Monaco, as they’re a constitutional monarchy that makes Albert immune to prosecution, but it’s put the royal family under a magnifying glass it’s not accustomed to." It is good to be Prince!
If someone has immunity, that doesn't mean they cannot engage in illegal or unlawful behavior but just that they cannot be prosecuted for doing so.

Sorry of this is not allowed but I'm reading up on the family and I came across this scathing vanity fair article about Caroline and Stephanie called the feuding princesses. Is it all true? Caroline comes across as really terrifying and cruel in it and Stephanie so spoiled and thoughtless. It also said Caroline blamed Stephanie for Grace's death. I'm so shocked.

I'm new to all this so I'm asking. Genuinely not trying to gossip or cause trouble.

Back
Top Bottom