The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Princely Family of Monaco

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 10-09-2013, 12:56 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanofMonaco View Post
I think Prince Albert was paid about 14 million Euros last year. He owns the palace. Per Forbes magazine, the Grimaldis are worth around 5.7 billion dollars. I don't know if that includes what the Casiraghis inherited from their father. I think Princess Stephanie and Princess Caroline have offices in the palace and at least a secretary. PC used to have a lady in waiting before Charlene but I don't know if she still does.
Wow--14M Euros for the monarchy of such a small country is pretty extreme. Anyone agree? I mean, it's not like they have a "working" royal family. More like a working Sovereign Prince and Princess with Princesses Caroline and Stephanie who don't do many engagements. Perhaps that 14M isn't from the govt or his work as Sovereign Prince.

So of HSH Prince Albert owns the palace, could he technically sell it at his own disposal?

Old 10-09-2013, 01:20 PM
Serene Highness

PA has the deed but I doubt selling the palace would be acceptable to the Monagasques. PA probably pays the rest of the family out of the 14 million. Monaco's gross domestic product is around 14 billion euros; which is huge for a country of 35,000 people. Whatever they get paid they earn. Monaco has the highest standard of living in the world. Even free basic cable tv. Besides PA actually runs the country; unlike most European monarchies. I think Leichtenstein is the only other European country where the monarch is actually the ruler. The rest are rulers in name only.

Old 10-09-2013, 01:24 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanofMonaco View Post
PA has the deed but I doubt selling the palace would be acceptable to the Monagasques. PA probably pays the rest of the family out of the 14 million. Monaco's gross domestic product is around 1.4 billion euros; which is huge for a country of 35,000 people. Whatever they get paid they earn. Monaco has the highest standard of living in the world. Even free basic cable tv. Besides PA actually runs the country; unlike most European monarchies. I think Leichtenstein is the only other European country where the monarch is actually the ruler. The rest are rulers in name only.
True, but 14M is a lot. The President of the US doesn't make nearly that amount--not even $1M. And he runs the govt of the most powerful country in the world.

No judgement, I'm just curious about how this works in Monaco and a bit astonished. Interesting that he has the deed to the palace. Do you have a source for that info?
Old 10-09-2013, 03:24 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by USAPolitics View Post

True, but 14M is a lot. The President of the US doesn't make nearly that amount--not even $1M. And he runs the govt of the most powerful country in the world.

No judgement, I'm just curious about how this works in Monaco and a bit astonished. Interesting that he has the deed to the palace. Do you have a source for that info?
I may be wrong but I think he got this amount from his society (société des bains des mers), not from the goverment
Léonard de Vinci
Old 10-09-2013, 09:59 PM
Gentry

I actually found a great source. Apparently, in 1996 the cost of the monarchy of the Principality of Monaco was in the government budget totaling US$18,938,400. This includes:

H.S.H. the Sovereign Prince 47,000,000 FF
Household of H.S.H. the Prince 4,857,000 FF
Office of H.S.H. the Prince 12,073,000 FF
Archives and Library of Princely Palace 1,831,600 FF
Chancery of Princely Orders 670,000 FF
Palace 37,803,700 FF

That was only 3% of the countries budget. Can't imagine what it would be today.

Interestingly enough, the monarchy of Liechtenstein is privately funded by its princely family.

http://www.put.com/~monarchy/expense.html
Old 10-09-2013, 10:49 PM
Serene Highness

People don't become President of the US for the salary; it's for the power. Also, when you add in all of the perks it runs into the millions of dollars. As far as Monaco is concerned, remember, the residents don't pay income, capital gains or inheritance tax. I also think the Prince's salary has been decreasing over the years. Like Lichtenstein, their investments have done very well. I don't remember the sources. Just remember from articles I have read about the Grimaldis since the 1970s.
Old 10-09-2013, 11:38 PM
Gentry

Questions about Monegasque Titles and Styles

I see it written differently all the time, but correct me if I'm wrong--isn't Prince Albert's proper shortened style and title His Serene Highness ALBERT II, Sovereign Prince of Monaco? I often see it as His Serene Highness Prince Albert of Monaco or sometimesHis Serene Highness Albert II, Prince of Monaco.

Furthermore, in Monaco titles are similar to how in marriage women take their husbands title. So it's proper to say that calling Charlene Princess Charlene would be improper since she is not a princess in her own right. It's Her Serene Highness Charlene, Princess of Monaco. Am I incorrect in thinking this?
Old 10-10-2013, 06:42 AM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess me View Post
As far as their official titles are concerned, they are both Serene Highnesses , with Albert being the Head of State. Monaco seems to make it up as they go along but this is just my personal opinion.
It's not Monaco or the palace, but media outlets who get these things wrong.
Old 10-10-2013, 11:25 AM
Serene Highness

On the palace website it shows HSH Prince Albert II and HSH Princess Charlene. PC is shown as HRH Caroline, Princess of Hanover.
Old 10-10-2013, 11:32 AM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by USAPolitics View Post
I see it written differently all the time, but correct me if I'm wrong--isn't Prince Albert's proper shortened style and title His Serene Highness ALBERT II, Sovereign Prince of Monaco? I often see it as His Serene Highness Prince Albert of Monaco or sometimesHis Serene Highness Albert II, Prince of Monaco.

Furthermore, in Monaco titles are similar to how in marriage women take their husbands title. So it's proper to say that calling Charlene Princess Charlene would be improper since she is not a princess in her own right. It's Her Serene Highness Charlene, Princess of Monaco. Am I incorrect in thinking this?
Not sure I am telling you this correctly but I think most countries do let the spouse become a Princess when they marry into the family. I believe Britain is the exception.
Old 10-20-2013, 06:47 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

I couldn't see a thread on Foreign Orders bestowed on members of the Princely Family.I'm a bit puzzled as to why Albert II have no orders from the current reigning houses except Jordan I think?

List of honours of the Monegasque Princely Family by country - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 10-20-2013, 07:00 AM
Serene Highness

Foreign Orders are bestowed during a State Visit. Sort of a present, if you will. Apparently, there wasn't any visit to any country with a royal family.
Old 11-29-2013, 06:03 PM
Aristocracy

Grace Kelly and US Holidays in Monaco?

I was just thinking over Thanksgiving if Grace Kelly celebrated American holidays in Monaco with her children. Their roots are half American as well as European.

I hope she did not forget our American traditions while in Monaco. Does anyone know anything at all?
Old 11-29-2013, 11:15 PM
Serene Highness

I remember her saying the palace chef cooked a European version of Thanksgiving dinner for the family. I also saw that the Hotel de Paris serves Thanksgiving lunch and/or dinner.

I'm pretty sure that Monaco also celebrates the 4th of July. They used to invite members of the US military there and played softball, etc. I wonder if they celebrate Bastille Day in Monaco since the wife of one of the Princes was guillotined.
Old 11-30-2013, 12:23 AM
Aristocracy

What's an European version of Thanksgiving? It's an American holiday and tradition. She should have instructed or showed the howto cook this traditional meal the American way.

That's strange!!
Old 11-30-2013, 09:08 AM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Month Representative - Monaco and Sweden

Thanksgiving is not an American holiday and tradition only. In many parts of the world it already existed in pre-Christian times. In the Roman Catholic Church Thanksgiving it's traceable to the 3rd century. Only the dates of the actual day differ from region to region.
Old 11-30-2013, 12:09 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceflower View Post

Thanksgiving is not an American holiday and tradition only. In many parts of the world it already existed in pre-Christian times. In the Roman Catholic Church Thanksgiving it's traceable to the 3rd century. Only the dates of the actual day differ from region to region.
Oh! Thank you. I really didn't realize that. But what's the European version she had their chef prepare I wonder?
Old 11-30-2013, 01:02 PM
Serene Highness

I think they had the American basics but it was gourmeted up a bit. Like maybe seafood in the dressing. There's a lot of variety in the way things are fixed in the US also. Italians may add sausage to the turkey dressing. Not everyone fixes the same vegetables or same pies.

Thanks for the history lesson Iceflower. I had no idea.
Old 11-30-2013, 01:06 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by American Observer7 View Post
What's an European version of Thanksgiving? It's an American holiday and tradition. She should have instructed or showed the howto cook this traditional meal the American way.

That's strange!!
As iceflower points out, Thanksgiving is celebrate in Europe as well as America. In England, we have an event called "The Harvest Festival" which is similar to Thanksgiving, expect we don't have a dinner with the family. During The Harvest Festival, people usually give cans of food to those who are less fortunate.
"She is a little angel and like her name, she brings sunshine even on cloudy days. From the bottom of our hearts, we would like to thank each and every one of you for your lovely best wishes for our daughter. She feels very loved". HRH Princess Madeleine, Duchess of Hälsingland and Gästrikland on her daughter, HRH Princess Leonore, Duchess of Gotland.
Join my TRF group about British Royal Children!
Old 11-30-2013, 01:07 PM
Serene Highness

Thanksgiving in Europe

Here's a rather funny article about an American family's efforts to celebrate Thanksgiving in Europe. How'd you like to carry a steaming hot 25 pound turkey for a mile through Paris?

When Retiring Overseas, Take Thanksgiving With You | Kathleen Peddicord