General information and questions about Monaco and the Princely Family

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
PA has the deed but I doubt selling the palace would be acceptable to the Monagasques. PA probably pays the rest of the family out of the 14 million. Monaco's gross domestic product is around 1.4 billion euros; which is huge for a country of 35,000 people. Whatever they get paid they earn. Monaco has the highest standard of living in the world. Even free basic cable tv. Besides PA actually runs the country; unlike most European monarchies. I think Leichtenstein is the only other European country where the monarch is actually the ruler. The rest are rulers in name only.

True, but 14M is a lot. The President of the US doesn't make nearly that amount--not even $1M. And he runs the govt of the most powerful country in the world.

No judgement, I'm just curious about how this works in Monaco and a bit astonished. Interesting that he has the deed to the palace. Do you have a source for that info?

True, but 14M is a lot. The President of the US doesn't make nearly that amount--not even $1M. And he runs the govt of the most powerful country in the world.

No judgement, I'm just curious about how this works in Monaco and a bit astonished. Interesting that he has the deed to the palace. Do you have a source for that info?

I may be wrong but I think he got this amount from his society (société des bains des mers), not from the goverment

I actually found a great source. Apparently, in 1996 the cost of the monarchy of the Principality of Monaco was in the government budget totaling US$18,938,400. This includes:

H.S.H. the Sovereign Prince 47,000,000 FF
Household of H.S.H. the Prince 4,857,000 FF
Office of H.S.H. the Prince 12,073,000 FF
Archives and Library of Princely Palace 1,831,600 FF
Chancery of Princely Orders 670,000 FF
Palace 37,803,700 FF

That was only 3% of the countries budget. Can't imagine what it would be today.

Interestingly enough, the monarchy of Liechtenstein is privately funded by its princely family.

http://www.put.com/~monarchy/expense.html

People don't become President of the US for the salary; it's for the power. Also, when you add in all of the perks it runs into the millions of dollars. As far as Monaco is concerned, remember, the residents don't pay income, capital gains or inheritance tax. I also think the Prince's salary has been decreasing over the years. Like Lichtenstein, their investments have done very well. I don't remember the sources. Just remember from articles I have read about the Grimaldis since the 1970s.

Questions about Monegasque Titles and Styles

I see it written differently all the time, but correct me if I'm wrong--isn't Prince Albert's proper shortened style and title His Serene Highness ALBERT II, Sovereign Prince of Monaco? I often see it as His Serene Highness Prince Albert of Monaco or sometimesHis Serene Highness Albert II, Prince of Monaco.

Furthermore, in Monaco titles are similar to how in marriage women take their husbands title. So it's proper to say that calling Charlene Princess Charlene would be improper since she is not a princess in her own right. It's Her Serene Highness Charlene, Princess of Monaco. Am I incorrect in thinking this?

Last edited by a moderator:
As far as their official titles are concerned, they are both Serene Highnesses , with Albert being the Head of State. Monaco seems to make it up as they go along but this is just my personal opinion.

It's not Monaco or the palace, but media outlets who get these things wrong.

On the palace website it shows HSH Prince Albert II and HSH Princess Charlene. PC is shown as HRH Caroline, Princess of Hanover.

I see it written differently all the time, but correct me if I'm wrong--isn't Prince Albert's proper shortened style and title His Serene Highness ALBERT II, Sovereign Prince of Monaco? I often see it as His Serene Highness Prince Albert of Monaco or sometimesHis Serene Highness Albert II, Prince of Monaco.

Furthermore, in Monaco titles are similar to how in marriage women take their husbands title. So it's proper to say that calling Charlene Princess Charlene would be improper since she is not a princess in her own right. It's Her Serene Highness Charlene, Princess of Monaco. Am I incorrect in thinking this?

Not sure I am telling you this correctly but I think most countries do let the spouse become a Princess when they marry into the family. I believe Britain is the exception.

Foreign Orders are bestowed during a State Visit. Sort of a present, if you will. Apparently, there wasn't any visit to any country with a royal family.

Grace Kelly and US Holidays in Monaco?

I was just thinking over Thanksgiving if Grace Kelly celebrated American holidays in Monaco with her children. Their roots are half American as well as European.

I hope she did not forget our American traditions while in Monaco. Does anyone know anything at all?

Last edited:
I remember her saying the palace chef cooked a European version of Thanksgiving dinner for the family. I also saw that the Hotel de Paris serves Thanksgiving lunch and/or dinner.

I'm pretty sure that Monaco also celebrates the 4th of July. They used to invite members of the US military there and played softball, etc. I wonder if they celebrate Bastille Day in Monaco since the wife of one of the Princes was guillotined.

What's an European version of Thanksgiving? It's an American holiday and tradition. She should have instructed or showed the howto cook this traditional meal the American way.

That's strange!!

:previous:

Thanksgiving is not an American holiday and tradition only. In many parts of the world it already existed in pre-Christian times. In the Roman Catholic Church Thanksgiving it's traceable to the 3rd century. Only the dates of the actual day differ from region to region.

:previous:

Thanksgiving is not an American holiday and tradition only. In many parts of the world it already existed in pre-Christian times. In the Roman Catholic Church Thanksgiving it's traceable to the 3rd century. Only the dates of the actual day differ from region to region.

Oh! Thank you. I really didn't realize that. But what's the European version she had their chef prepare I wonder?

I think they had the American basics but it was gourmeted up a bit. Like maybe seafood in the dressing. There's a lot of variety in the way things are fixed in the US also. Italians may add sausage to the turkey dressing. Not everyone fixes the same vegetables or same pies.

Thanks for the history lesson Iceflower. I had no idea.

What's an European version of Thanksgiving? It's an American holiday and tradition. She should have instructed or showed the howto cook this traditional meal the American way.

That's strange!!

As iceflower points out, Thanksgiving is celebrate in Europe as well as America. In England, we have an event called "The Harvest Festival" which is similar to Thanksgiving, expect we don't have a dinner with the family. During The Harvest Festival, people usually give cans of food to those who are less fortunate. :flowers:

As I am going to Monaco in a few weeks I would like to know if there are any public events that any of the Royal family are attending?

As I am going to Monaco in a few weeks I would like to know if there are any public events that any of the Royal family are attending?

Oh i am so jealous Grace chic! Have FUN :flowers::flowers::flowers:

July 18th is the Diamond League athletics. ( a good night out ) Albert & Charlene usually present the medals .

I should add that if you don't want to attend the event, it is possible to see the Royal couple as they exit the stadium - each year I have attended, I have seen them saying quite lengthy farewells to the various organisers before getting into the car. So you just need to get to the exterior of the stadium just after the event has finished. It is also worth tuning into Riviera Radio or looking in the Monaco matin while you are on holiday, because members of the family open exhibitions etc. The annual summer exhibition at the Grimaldi centre which starts sometime in July is always officially opened by a senior member of the family - but not always on the first day!
Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app

Last edited:
What fun is it to be a monarch if you can't ban someone every once in a while? I love it.

In another thread I mentioned how very few Foreign orders members of the Princely Family held asides from their own Monegasque Orders.

I had a look and I don't think HSH Prince Albert has had any Foreign Royal orders bestowed on him since his accession in 2005.I find that strange given his close relationship with many of the Royal Houses of Europe.Both Albert & Caroline were given the 1996 King Carl XVI Gustaf 50th Anniversary Medal but that seems to be it.

The late Prince Rainier III was held the following Royal orders
Knight of the Order of the Seraphim (Sweden)
Knight Grand Cross of the Order of the Redeemer (Greece)
Knight Grand Cross of the Royal Order of George I (Greece)
Grand Cordon of the Order of Leopold (Belgium)
Knight of the Order of the Gold Lion of the House of Nassau (Netherlands)
Knight Grand Cross of the Order of the Karađorđe's Star (Kingdom of Yugoslavia)

Last edited:
Yes it is strange. There doesn't appear to be any explanation why and when these orders are gifted. On a similar note, who in other royal families has been presented with Monaco orders ?

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app

Orders are usually bestowed in the framework of a State Visit. There are hardly any State Visits to or from Monaco. Recently the Prince of Monaco made a visit to the Netherlands, see picture:
http://www.rtlnieuws.nl/sites/defau...xander-albert-monco-ANP_0_1.jpg?itok=2LGK6XAH

This was no State Visit and no Orders were exchanged. Most likely the answer on the very few Orders lies in this. The Order in the Golden Lion of the House Nassau, mentioned on the list, is a joint Dutch-Luxembourgian Order by the way. Both the King of the Netherlands (Chef of the House Orange-Nassau) and the Grand Duke of Luxembourg (Chef of the House Nassau) are Grandmaster of this Order.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom