The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Princely Family of Monaco

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 08-30-2011, 09:57 AM
Administrator

He is in fact, a de facto Prince as his titles are not recognized in Germany nor do they exist in the United Kingdom. He is a Prince of Great Britain and Ireland, but that "country" or designation no longer exists.

His British titles were suspended under the Titles Deprivation Act 1917, but his grandfather would later, as head of a former British royal house, award his father (Ernst August IV) the title of Prince of Great Britain and Ireland again.

He is accorded the title as a courtesy and treated as such, much like the deposed monarchs of Greece, Romania, etc.

Old 08-30-2011, 10:04 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by American Observer7 View Post
If he was not a prince, his wife and daughter would not be using the title officially in Monaco. He is a Prince and he is the head of a Royal House and direct decendant of one of the King Georges. They were invited to the Queen Mother's furneral which was an official event in which their officials were used and their other non reigning royals were in attendence wearing their royal titles.
Monarchies are used giving full titles even when it is obviously only courtesy titles which are not recognized in the bearer's country. There is the same problem with the Belgian royal family; the archduke title of prince Lorenz was used before he was created a prince, as are his parents' title, but, in Austria, he is legally Mr. Lorenz Österreich-Este (or Lorenz Habsburg-Lothringen, I am not sure). Legally, princess Caroline's husband is Ernst August Prinz von Hannover, but Germany will never get into a juridical case with Monaco nor with any country for the use of his courtesy title, nor will any former monarchy get into such a case.

Old 08-30-2011, 10:06 AM
Administrator

Its all in the wording, when the Queen gave her permission for his marriage to Caroline. She didn't mention him being a Prince of Great Britain and Ireland or the titles that were deprived to his family following WWI.

She states:

Thus, before his marriage to Princess Caroline, he officially requested permission to marry of Queen Elizabeth II, and on 11 January 1999, the afore-mentioned sovereign issued an Order-in-Council, "My Lords, I do hereby declare My Consent to a Contract of Matrimony between His Royal Highness Prince Ernst August Albert of Hanover, Duke of Brunswick-Luneburg and Her Serene Highness Princess Caroline Louise Marguerite of Monaco..."

Old 08-30-2011, 10:24 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
Now that I didn't know - so he's not actually a Prince? It's just a surname and he uses the HRH for social reasons?
He is officialy a prince just in Monaco if I'm not wrong.
Léonard de Vinci
Old 08-30-2011, 10:29 AM
Administrator

Well, I believe he is recognized by other royal houses across the world but its just a courtesy.

Old 08-30-2011, 11:26 AM
Aristocracy

Prince Ernest August has attended state functions in Germany one of which Germany's president and QE II were in attendance and his official title was used and recoginzed. Whether it is official or courtsesy it is recognized especially for Princess Caroline and Princess Alexandra in Monaco.
Old 08-30-2011, 12:05 PM
Serene Highness

He is a decendent of Queen Victoria of England and Kaiser Wilhelm of Germany. I think that is blue blooded enough to be called a prince.
Old 08-30-2011, 12:15 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanofMonaco View Post
He is a decendent of Queen Victoria of England and Kaiser Wilhelm of Germany. I think that is blue blooded enough to be called a prince.
That is absolutely not a reason. There are commoners in the Kaiser's descendants, with many noble or regal ancestors, and they are not styled "prince".
Old 08-30-2011, 12:20 PM
Administrator

We are teetering off topic.

Posts about Ernst August of Hanover as it relates to his marriage to Princess Caroline of Monaco should be posted here. If you wish to delve into German titles, you should have that discussion her
e German Royal and Noble Titles & Protocols .

Zonk
Monaco Forums Moderator

Old 08-30-2011, 01:33 PM
Aristocracy

There is something else I would like to know.

Will Princess Alexandra be able to inheret any of her father's wealth when he passes away or does evertything go her older brother on her father's side. How does that work?
Old 08-30-2011, 01:35 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Prince Ernest August has attended state functions in Germany one of which Germany's president and QE II were in attendance and his official title was used and recoginzed. Whether it is official or courtsesy it is recognized especially for Princess Caroline and Princess Alexandra in Monaco.
His title was not recognized by the state it is just a part of his surname
Old 08-30-2011, 02:08 PM
Aristocracy

No one knows how Prince Ernest August is actually addressed when at these functions in Germany face to face as we are not present.

Anyway, can I have an answer to my most recent question please?
Old 08-30-2011, 02:13 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
There is something else I would like to know.

Will Princess Alexandra be able to inheret any of her father's wealth when he passes away or does evertything go her older brother on her father's side. How does that work?
Probably have to wait until he dies to be sure. His family has assets in several countries including Germany, Austria and the UK. There are probably family trusts to preserve their heritage as well, although his sons not that long ago had a sale of some items from one of the castles. Not sure if German or Austrian laws are like France in that a % of the estate must go to your children. Can't imagine any reason why he would not make adequate provision for Alexandra though.
Old 08-30-2011, 02:17 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGalitzine View Post
The point, lost somewhere in this discussion, is that he was not required under the RMA to ask for permission to marry. That he did so is not in dispute. It is however a tradition in his family to continue to ask for permission, unlike other German families such as Leiningen, Saxe Coburg Gotha, Hohenlohe Langenberg, Prussia etc all of whom also have places in the line of succession to the throne in UK.

Anyway....back to Monaco and those always interesting Grimaldis....
I think the Royal Marriages Act pertains to male line descendants of British kings/queens and he is one. When the Act came into law, the British kings was the ruler of Hannover as well, thus the Act is valid for Britain and for Hannover's Royal family, as it was not abolished in Hannover before the country was annexed by Prussia. Thus for the Royal Family of Hannover the Act still exists and asks for the permission of the British souverain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte_Aster View Post
His title was not recognized by the state it is just a part of his surname
You're right. According to http://www.protokoll-inland.de/Share...ublicationFile - a basic information from the Bundesministerium des Inneren about the usage of styles in Germany, these styles do not exist anymore and are not used. Foreign titles and styles like "Majesty" or "Royal Highness" on the other hand are recognized if the holder of such a style visits the Federal Republic of Germany in an official function.

But in reality very often theses old styles are still in use on occassions when the former Royal or noble is the guest of honour or the patron on an official occassion.
Old 08-31-2011, 12:34 PM
Courtier

Since some of you have already visited Monaco and I'm going to be there at the end of september I want to ask you if you have any tips for me where I could possibly see Albert or Charlene (bars, cafe's, restaurants, the beach or nearby places).
Are there any cafe's, bars or restaurants you could recommend to eat or just enjoy a cup of coffee?
Old 09-01-2011, 11:01 AM
Heir Apparent

Here's today's slideshow of the "Carabiniers du Prince Albert II" - they must be bringing them out for the tourists.....

Diaporama | Dans les coulisses avec les carabiniers du Prince Albert II | Monaco: dans les coulisses avec les carabiniers du Prince Albert II | Nice-Matin

... and also another, related, article on the same subject: http://www.monacomatin.mc/article/mo...iers-du-prince

AS Monaco FC is part of UEFA.

A few days ago, the new European Foootball Yearbook was launched in........ MONACO !!

European Football Yearbook launched in Monaco ? UEFA.com

Christiane Stahl is leaving her job at the Palace where she was in charge of communication.
She wrote a biography of the Prince, and she was involved with the marriage preparations.
She wishes to go back to live in Paris.
She was also close to the former President Jacques Chirac which means she won't have to worry about her professional future !

http://www.lexpress.fr/styles/minute...e_1025913.html

Le Figaro - Mon Figaro : Monaco*: un départ sur le Rocher
Old 09-01-2011, 03:39 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renata4711 View Post
Christiane Stahl is leaving her job at the Palace where she was in charge of communication.
She wrote a biography of the Prince, and she was involved with the marriage preparations.
She wishes to go back to live in Paris.
She was also close to the former President Jacques Chirac which means she won't have to worry about her professional future !

La conseillère en communication d'Albert de Monaco démissionne - L'EXPRESS

Le Figaro - Mon Figaro : Monaco*: un départ sur le Rocher
Very interesting, in the light of recent press surrounding the Royal couple was she pushed or did she choose to leave I wonder.
Old 09-06-2011, 07:42 AM
Heir Apparent

The Théâtre Princesse-Grace has unveiled its 2011-2012 season - and its thirtieth anniversary !!

No less than twenty-three shows are on the programme, but the theatre will have to tighten its belt, just like everybody.

Normally, the Monte-Carlo Magic Stars would have opened the season, but not this year.... but Oscar Wilde's "An Ideal Husband" opens on the first of October.
Old 09-07-2011, 01:12 PM
Nobility

A report about Pauline and Charlotte in "en mode Gossip" at 42min
Léonard de Vinci
Old 09-07-2011, 03:30 PM
Heir Apparent

On the day of the 10th anniversary of the "Nine Eleven", in memory of the victims of September 2001, the Princely Government invited the Monegasque population to take part in an ecumenical ceremony for Peace.

Monaco : Commémoration du 11 septembre | monacomatin.com