Funeral of Princess Antoinette, March 24, 2011

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
KittyAtlanta...you think of EVERYTHING! :lol:

It's true...you only need to be free of mortal sin to receive the Eucharist...otherwise no one would!

I followed the whole official funerals in the Catholic Cathedral of Monaco. She was a Member of the House of Grimaldi, it was normal that the Prince Souverain and his close family were the "highlight". He had on his right side the most important women of Monaco for the moment , Princess Caroline and on his left side his fiancee.
The Bishop started with Monseigneur , Altesses Sérénismes , Excellences , Mesdames et Messieurs. The whole Funerals were official with the Prayer for the Prince Souverain and Deo Juventus. Before the coffin was Princess Antoinette's decoration the highest Order of Monaco (St Charles).
I am sure that later in the small Chapel , the de Massy family were before the Grimaldis .
Princess Antoinette 's official funerals took about nearly 2 hours and what the Priests said about her was respectfully and the Journalist from Monaco did great work.

Thank you maria-olivia...that was great information! :flowers:

So both CW and Princess Caroline had a place of honour, and everybody is happy now?

Fornication -- sex between an unmarried man and unmarried woman -- is not a mortal sin.

Every priest that I have known would not deny someone the Eucharist if someone stepped forward to receive the Eucharist.
No priest would make a spectle out of denying anyone the Eucharist at a mass.

The sacraments, including the Eucharist, are to be comforts to those who believe.
Denying someone the Eucharist at a funeral mass does not follow that element of Roman Catholic doctrine.

Personally, I don't like the heavy black, including the veils. I find it overboard -- more worried about the look than the grief.
Personally, I never wear complete black to a funeral.
I wore black slacks & a pistachio sweater to my sister's funeral and I wore a navy blue skirt & a brightly striped sweater to my father's funeral.
(both were Roman Catholic masses)

I am sorry for this loss to all the family and the people of Monaco.
wa3kittiees....I embrace your comments:flowers:.....I am also a catholic and my husband is not...but we got married in the Church 2 years ago and our Priest bent over backwards to make my husband feel at ease, and afterwards my husband said he was so pleased we married in the Church...I know this digressing a bit but the Catholic Church has come along way in its thinking to try and fit within the 21st century....it may have along way to go but it is trying.:angel:

^It's all about why Charlene and Caroline can take communion or not, it went a little bit off-topic.
I would like to know why the De Massys had to be behind Caroline and Stephanie, who had to be behind Albert and Charlene.
I know, if it's protocol....but still doesn't seem right. At least, Albert could be in front with Cecile and Charlene behind with some other De Massy.
Charlene shouldn't be in front...yet. She is the fiancee, not the wife (yet).
In other countries besides Monaco (and maybe in Monaco too) if you are engaged to marry, the protocol treats you as a married couple. But I agree with you that the direct descendents of the deceased should have more precedence in the funeral procession.

On other issues....
I'm sorry to see on this thread so much outrage and upset over "sin" and communion. I'm also sorry to see one poster tell another poster not to judge (about communion and sins), all the while stating something very judgmental about CW. A person who judges condemns another for judging. Take a look @ yourself before you cast stones. :ermm:

Please note that I have deleted a couple of off topic posts about the Charlene vs. Caroline comparison, scandals in the Catholic Church and personal attacks on Charlene as well as other members.

This is a funeral thread, its a shame that people can't act accordingly.

If this continues this thread will be closed permanently.

Last edited:
^It's all about why Charlene and Caroline can take communion or not, it went a little bit off-topic.
I would like to know why the De Massys had to be behind Caroline and Stephanie, who had to be behind Albert and Charlene.
I know, if it's protocol....but still doesn't seem right. At least, Albert could be in front with Cecile and Charlene behind with some other De Massy.
Charlene shouldn't be in front...yet. She is the fiancee, not the wife (yet).

I noticed that too. The De Massys were steps behind the princely family. Protocol is important but looks odd sometimes. Very antiquated.

Precedence is important for royals, princes and other nobility, and for their people who like to see their ruling family behave according to protocol, especially at funerals, weddings, and the like.

Charlene actually appeared to be very... genuinely sad, IMO. I can't see her being close to Antoinette, not really, but the old lady was probably quite nice to her. I bet Princess Antoinette was quite nice, as she aged. She could be a feisty little (Tiny, lol) Tiger Blooded B---h but then she aged into a nice funny grandmother. And the poor thing suffered a lot of loss. Her own daughter. :sad: And husband John Gilpin. I know everyone suffers these kind of losses, but it doesn't make it any less tragic. Life is tough, and Antoinette was a trooper through it all. Now all of that old Grimaldi generation are gone. Long live the Prince. :monacoflag2:

:monacoflag:

Hello

Point de Vue has a small picture in the cover about the funeral (the large part is taken by Elizabeth's Taylor loss) and inside a reportage.

Point de Vue *.:.* En Couverture

By the way, I have a question for those of our members who are catholic and have a deep knowledge of the religious protocol. Why Alexandra wore a white mantilla (all others wore a black one)??

It is related to her young age, or it is because she is protestant?

Last edited:
I believe it is an age thing. She is not an adult.

In the eyes of the RC Church kids under 14 are not obliged to follow the rules, like the grown ups are required too. So I guess she wore her mantilla just to imitate her Mom and Sis.

Hello

Point de Vue has a small picture in the cover about the funeral (the large part is taken by Elizabeth's Taylor loss) and inside a reportage.

By the way, I have a question for those of our members who are catholic and have a deep knowledge of the religious protocol. Why Alexandra wore a white mantilla (all others wore a black one)??

Hi fandesacs2003....It has nothing to do with the fact that she is Protestant. My understanding is that it is generally considered inappropriate for children to wear black at funerals.

I remember reading somewhere that that is why Jacqueline Kennedy instructed her children's nanny NOT to dress Caroline and John in black for their father's Requiem Mass....they appeared instead in those adorable light blue wool coats.

Maybe that is why Princess Alexandra had a white mantilla, as opposed to the adults wearing a black one. Personally I don't think she SHOULD have worn a black head covering...she is simply too young for that.

BTW...I think Elizabeth Taylor had to have been the most beautiful woman I have ever seen in my life during her prime...I gasp sometimes when I see her photos!

Last edited:
Hello

Its related to her age & not her faith.

I've always been told that children don't have to wear black, I think that's something wich is still used in some families.

PS: as far as I'm concerned, I totally agree with you MoonMaiden, about Elizabeth Taylor... What a beautiful lady!!

Certainly Charlene does look serious and reflective but I think she forgot to get a bobby pin to set down her mantilla on both sides and it kept creeping to back of her head. Otherwise Cw Steph and PA are all looking forlorn.

Actually, I was admiring the way CW and the Grimaldi women wear their mantillas...on the rare occasions I have had to wear one, it was an awful trial keeping the stupid thing from sliding off my head! :bang:

Caroline, Stephanie and Charlotte make it look SO simple.

I am sorry to hear about Antoinette's death. I knew she had been sick for awhile but I have been away from the forums and not up on the events. I think people really enjoyed seeing her attend functions in her later years, she'll be missed there.

Last edited by a moderator:
I also wondered about Alex's white mantilla and thought it was because she was a HRH not a HSH. But I guess it's because of her age.

BurberryBrit said:
I also wondered about Alex's white mantilla and thought it was because she was a HRH not a HSH. But I guess it's because of her age.

Both Charollette and Charlene wore black mantillas and neither are HSH as well... I believe it's religous not royal and yes has to do with her age

Indeed you have some right. You are mixing with the following. Only the Catholic Queens, when visiting the pope are allowed to wear the white mantilla. All the other women, not catholic or not queens wear black mantilla.
But in the funeral it has not to do with royal range I think, and in any case Pcs Alexandra is not Queen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom