Funeral of Princess Antoinette, March 24, 2011

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It must be VERY chilly right now in Monaco...look at how all the women are wrapped up...brrrrr!

I feel cold just looking at these photos. :eek:

I spoke too soon
La princesse Antoinette, décédée dans la nuit du 17 au 18 mars 2011 au CH Princesse Grace, a
I think these are Jean-Leonard Taubert Natta (son of Elisabeth), behind him the 2 oldest daughters of Sebastien Knecht, behind them Sebastien Knecht (son of Christine Alix) and his wife Donatella and behind them Leticia de Massy (daughter of Christian) and her husband Thomas de Brouwer

And in this picture next to Christian is I think his youngest son: La princesse Antoinette, décédée dans la nuit du 17 au 18 mars 2011 au CH Princesse Grace, a

I would LOVE to have been a fly on the wall at the luncheon at the Palace that followed THAT funeral!

Christian has been persona non grata in the family since he wrote that book "Palace" back in 1987. He also accused his cousin Caroline of "lacking empathy and compassion" in at least one interview, and Albert described him as a "loser" who "blew it in every way" a few years ago.

OUCH. Funerals can bring out the worst in families, but also the best. I hope they all use this time to heal the rifts. :ermm:

BTW...I wonder if any members of the Polignac family attended? The Princess's father was Prince Pierre de Polignac, of course.

Last edited:
Oh, sorry. This one can't take communion, because she has a live in boyfriend, that one didn't so she may be Prostestant, wow, how terrible......People who have done much worse take communion, why is it anyone's business, anyway.

Oh, sorry. This one can't take communion, because she has a live in boyfriend, that one didn't so she may be Prostestant, wow, how terrible......People who have done much worse take communion, why is it anyone's business, anyway.

Umm, don't suppose either of Albert's children were present at their great Aunt's funeral?

To Princess Caroline,
I followed the whole funerals of your Aunt Princess Antoinette and with Her the generation of your beloved parents passed away.
I saw you for the fourth time in deep sorrow and black lace mantilla.
The first time for your mother HSH Princess Grace but you shared the sorrow of your father;
The second time for your young husband's funerals , your father shared your sorrow.
The third time for your beloved father HSH Prince Rainier of Monaco and at the same time your husband struggled for his life in a hospital.
And now for the fourth time for your Aunt Princess Antoinette who shared all your sorrows and you were alone but you have 4 loving children.
In July , you will be like your late Aunt the sister-in-law of the Princess of Monaco and you wll be also Monaco's second lady.
May God bless You

No maria-olivia, P. Caroline will never be a second figure. Married or not married to a reigning prince, Ms Witstock will never be a reigning princess in the fact and in the monegasques hearts. Her sorrows, her joys, her courage, her dedication, her service, her breed her joie the vivre... her alife, in a word have already crowned P. Caroline. She is a Queen! She's her father's daughter... she is the Lady of Monaco:crown4: :crown4: :crown4:

It's funny, Hola calls P. Antoinette, the « Grandmother of Monaco ». So sweet!:flowers:

Last edited by a moderator:
No maria-olivia, P. Caroline will never be a second figure. Married or not married to a reigning prince, Ms Witstock will never be a reigning princess in the fact and in the monegasques hearts. Her sorrows, her joys, her courage, her dedication, her service, her breed her joie the vivre... her alife, in a word have already crowned P. Caroline. She is a Queen! She's her father's daughter... she is the Lady of Monaco:crown4: :crown4: :crown4:

Of course Charlene will be No. 1 in Monaco and Caroline No. 2 after Albert´s and Charlene´s wedding. Especially if they would have a family, Charlene´s role will grow, and Caroline´s will weaken. It is natural, like it or not.

Of course Charlene will be No. 1 in Monaco and Caroline No. 2 after Albert´s and Charlene´s wedding. Especially if they would have a family, Charlene´s role will grow, and Caroline´s will weaken. It is natural, like it or not.

Very astute. Of couyrse, you are correct.

This is the exact set of challenges that faced Grace Kelly when she married into the Grimaldis. Princess Antoinette was very popular to the Monegasques, and even her son in his book wrote that when they would attend official events, the Monegasques would cheer his mom the most.

However, Charlene will be their princess in a few months, and will represent their principality whether they like it or not. And judging it from the number of photos of the event, she is actually getting more interest than her future sisters-in-law.

Why don't we just hope they coexist harmoniously? :flowers:

I think they co-exist harmounisly, is just people that likes to, er, make rivalry between them.
But yeah, Caroline will always be Caroline, and Charlene is still young, she has a lot to do yet. She will sure be loved by the monegasques, i guess.

CW is young and pretty and stylish, but she is for the most part unknown to the Monagasques.

I expect this to change after the wedding. And if she and Albert have a family she will become even more familiar and perhaps beloved in her new country.

Caroline is already well known and respected and loved by Monagasques, but she will NOT be First Lady after the wedding and I am not all that certain she even wants to be.

Her life is very full, her children, her friends, her artistic and intellectual pursuits will be there for her to devote her time to as SHE pleases, even though there is no way she will simply disappear off the map.

Moonmaiden23 said:
Caroline is already well known and respected and loved by Monagasques, but she will NOT be First Lady after the wedding and I am not all that certain she even wants to be.

Her life is very full, her children, her friends, her artistic and intellectual pursuits will be there for her to devote her time to as SHE pleases, even though there is no way she will simply disappear off the map.

But until Charlene and Albert have children she is the heir so she won't be able to totally step away from duties yet....

Instead of celebrating the life of someone who was loved by her family and Monaco, why is it necessary to do Caroline/Charlene comparisons?

Can't we save that argument for another day?

Oh, and off topic posts about Ernst and his activities have been deleted.

Fornication -- sex between an unmarried man and unmarried woman -- is not a mortal sin.

Every priest that I have known would not deny someone the Eucharist if someone stepped forward to receive the Eucharist.
No priest would make a spectle out of denying anyone the Eucharist at a mass.

The sacraments, including the Eucharist, are to be comforts to those who believe.
Denying someone the Eucharist at a funeral mass does not follow that element of Roman Catholic doctrine.

Personally, I don't like the heavy black, including the veils. I find it overboard -- more worried about the look than the grief.
Personally, I never wear complete black to a funeral.
I wore black slacks & a pistachio sweater to my sister's funeral and I wore a navy blue skirt & a brightly striped sweater to my father's funeral.
(both were Roman Catholic masses)

I am sorry for this loss to all the family and the people of Monaco.

This is the exact set of challenges that faced Grace Kelly when she married into the Grimaldis. Princess Antoinette was very popular to the Monegasques, and even her son in his book wrote that when they would attend official events, the Monegasques would cheer his mom the most.

However, Charlene will be their princess in a few months, and will represent their principality whether they like it or not. And judging it from the number of photos of the event, she is actually getting more interest than her future sisters-in-law.

Why don't we just hope they coexist harmoniously? :flowers:

Very true indeed. Princess Grace once said in an interview that the Monegasques idea of an actress was the image of Mae West. Grace had to overcome a lot to become Monaco's beloved princess and it didn't happen all at once. Lizanne Levine said that the first year of marriage, Grace's eyes were red from crying all the time. I wish the entire princely family of Monaco the best and hope that Charlene can tolerate the difficulties that are to come. Charlene is already on a sharp learning curve, one of her first official appearances was at the Fete National, and she wore a hat that caught everyone’s attention. The following appearance at St. Nicholas cathedral and at Princess Antoinette’s funeral demonstrated that she is learning. At the funeral Charlene’s attire was appropriate, subdued and blended in with the other ladies’ attire. No show-stopping Armani outfits.

I n the south of the France and in Monaco of course, it is using to wear the black veil for the funerals, I wore it for the funeral of my father and than for the funeral of my husband, we wear it also for a religious fest like when we go to the church for the religious meeting at the Sant Friday, for the Monegasque people there is also the fest of Sainte Devote. we wear it for a mass of remembering of a person who died a while ago.The small girls and the grown up girls wear a veil which is white and black. For you it seems very unusual but we want to keep this coutume. It is only the wifes of the South of the France which wear this veil not in the other parts of the France, the wifes do not wear the mantille.

Prince Albert of Monaco and Charlene Wittstock attend funeral of Princess Antoinette

I'm not RC, but Caroline looks like she's taking communion in this photo.

Which photo? Maybe some have been deleted but I don't see any photo's of Holy Communion,just the Family leaving after the Funeral Mass.

I n the south of the France and in Monaco of course, it is using to wear the black veil for the funerals, I wore it for the funeral of my father and than for the funeral of my husband, we wear it also for a religious fest like when we go to the church for the religious meeting at the Sant Friday, for the Monegasque people there is also the fest of Sainte Devote. we wear it for a mass of remembering of a person who died a while ago.The small girls and the grown up girls wear a veil which is white and black. For you it seems very unusual but we want to keep this coutume. It is only the wifes of the South of the France which wear this veil not in the other parts of the France, the wifes do not wear the mantille.

Its a lovely tradition Melina premiere,thank you for sharing that with us.

The wearing of mantillas used to be very common in Ireland up until recently,some older ladies still wear them to Mass .

It's funny, Hola calls P. Antoinette, the « Grandmother of Monaco ». So sweet!:flowers:
We should ask real Monegasques that ! Only the people living in Monaco know if she is popular or not !:eek:

Last week, I was in Nice to help my brother, he has a shop of clothes, and I went to monaco to make shopping in Fontvieille, there are many photos of the engagement in the shops, near the photo of the Prince. The people of Monaco are very pleased about the wedding, they all say that they did not think anymore that the prince will mary and it is a big event for them, they also say that after the civil wedding the prince will present their new princess on the place of the palace. I think there is no war between Princess Caroline and Charlene, we see her joking and laughing at the burning of the cannot at Sainte Devote, She will be stiil be in Monaco after the wedding, it is her land and she will go on her duties, (the arts and so), it is not like Princess Grace and Antoinette, Princess Antoinette was not pleased to see a common actress at her place of first lady. Princess Grace arrived only three days before the wedding and Charlene is in Monaco untill 4 years, they learn to know each other. We saw Princess Alexandra of Hanover running to kiss Charlene at the pic nic last year and Charlotte wrotte on her facebook the person she prefered is Charlene Wittstock.

Its a lovely tradition Melina premiere,thank you for sharing that with us.

The wearing of mantillas used to be very common in Ireland up until recently,some older ladies still wear them to Mass .

Here in the USA women always wore a hat or mantilla to mass, until the church changed the rules. I was wondering why the little girls were wearing white mantillas, than you for telling us about the traditions of the south of France.

The Bishop of Monaco started the funerals by saying "Monseigneur, Altesses Sérénissimes", or Caroline and her daughter Alexandra are Altesses royales?

I think he forgot the fact princess Caroline and Alexandra are Altesses Royales.

Fornication -- sex between an unmarried man and unmarried woman -- is not a mortal sin.

Every priest that I have known would not deny someone the Eucharist if someone stepped forward to receive the Eucharist.

The sacraments, including the Eucharist, are to be comforts to those who believe.
Denying someone the Eucharist at a funeral mass does not follow that element of Roman Catholic doctrine.

Personally, I don't like the heavy black, including the veils. I find it overboard -- more worried about the look than the grief.
I wore black slacks & a pistachio sweater to my sister's funeral and I wore a navy blue skirt & a brightly striped sweater to my father's funeral.

What??! When did THAT change and why was I not informed ?! Think of all the fun I missed out on! Wait till I tell my confessor...take THAT father! :lol:

What has this to do with HSH the late Princess Antoinette 's funerals ?

^It's all about why Charlene and Caroline can take communion or not, it went a little bit off-topic.
I would like to know why the De Massys had to be behind Caroline and Stephanie, who had to be behind Albert and Charlene.
I know, if it's protocol....but still doesn't seem right. At least, Albert could be in front with Cecile and Charlene behind with some other De Massy.
Charlene shouldn't be in front...yet. She is the fiancee, not the wife (yet).

Nathalie Cox, I was a bit surprised to see CW up front with PA as well. I thought she couldn't do that until after the wedding?

Ah well...shows you how much I know about protocol!

Nathalie Cox, I was a bit surprised to see CW up front with PA as well. I thought she couldn't do that until after the wedding?

Ah well...shows you how much I know about protocol!
Yeah! Well, i don't know about protocol either. I "blame" protocol for it, but i don't really know :lol:

Pics without watermarks from gettyimages and AP via daylife:

** Funeral of Princess Antoinette, March 24, 2011 **

Question. why is alexandra, at least I think it is her, wearing a white lace veil and not black?

Yes, but far as I know she's still living with Alex ... and I doubt they're sleeping in twin beds ;)

And someone better tell the Charlene thread that she didn't take communion so it looks like she's Protestant again (sigh), of course neither did Caroline which surprised me.

Who said you had to be free of sin to recieve communion? I don't think anyone would take communion, not alone Charlotte, if they did.

Charlene is protestant again? Did she convert to catholocism and then back again? I think you mean protestant still.

In old catholic countries, and countries which are very Catholic, it is tradition to wear the veils. you will even find it in Latin American countries. It is a sign of respect. Women used to not wear their heads uncovered, hence the hoods they wore in the Tudor times, or veils in other eras. During mourning they would wear only black for months, including their veils. Some countries like Monaco and such have continued with this tradition. It reflects the highly catholoc origins of the country.

If Charlotte has confessed her sins, she would have been admonished to "go and sin no more." Perhaps she's unwilling to sin no more and thereby won't take communion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom